Events

The Bola Soyode Educational Foundation hosts “An Evening of Music & Spoken Word”

BellaNaija.com

The Bola Soyede Educational Foundation is a non-profit organization which awards scholarships to children who as a result of the loss of both parents or the breadwinner of their families, find it difficult to carry on with their education. The organization was founded by Kikelola Soyode, Kike’s father passed away when she was five years old and this tragic experience inspired her to  start the Foundation several years later – in 2004. In Kikelola’s words,

It is by the Grace of God that my mother, Tomi Soyode, has been able to give me the best education. I have come across a number of young people, who have been in my shoes but due to conditions and circumstances beyond their control, have found it difficult to get ahead with their education; because of this, I would like to make my own little mark on this issue. The Bola Soyode Educational Foundation was started in the summer of 2004 to help a few of these young people, and making a little change in their situations.

The Bola Soyode Educational Foundation currently sponsors several children including orphans who without the financial support from the foundation will have no access to funds to support their education.

On the 28th of December 2010 at De’Marquee in Lagos, Nigeria; The Bola Soyode Educational Foundation held an event to create awareness and raise funds for the cause. “An Evening of Music & Spoken Word” was an exciting event which included musical performances, a mini fashion show and a charity auction. It was an entertaining evening for all present but more importantly, funds were raised for this important cause.

This is such a positive and inspiring initiative. We encourage everyone to do something to impact their world and our society in 2011!

The Event

MORAYO OGUN

Morayo Ogun

Baba & Rotimi Thomas

Ekene Ovia, Tobi Onasanya & Ifi Eze

TAYO OLABIRAN

Tayo Olabiran

To find out more about the Foundation, visit the Foundation’s website HERE and the TBSEF Facebook Page HERE.

1. that girl

January 12, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Finally, an event with a cause other than launching a new “fashion” line! Kudos to this young activist. Would have preferred to see more pictures of the performers though!

• Ginika

January 13, 2011 at 10:38 am

I am impressed with things like this. I would love to make a strong strong impression on my society and in Nigeria, that is my desire. Things like this keeps me going.

2. French Paris aaliyah

January 12, 2011 at 5:25 pm

im still first to comment hmmmm lovely!
    guess i will soon need an award
    nice event pictures

3. Miss A.T.L.

January 12, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Bez had a VERY BUSY schedule in December, it seems from the recent BN events coverage. Keep it up!

• partyrider

January 12, 2011 at 6:13 pm

exactly my tot wen i saw his pic

• NIRA

January 13, 2011 at 10:36 am

The guy dey try sha… Happy for him.

4. October Girl

January 12, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I thought the event was done to create awareness. However most of the guest seem more interested in showing of their handbags. I would have liked to see more pictures of the event itself.

• D.O.T.M.H

January 12, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Lol.. I concur

• Golddigger

January 12, 2011 at 8:27 pm

especially that ekene ovia girl and her other friend, i see that must be thier first ‘rent-a-channel-bag’ or close-to-channel…watever.

• MeAlone

January 12, 2011 at 9:25 pm

You and OctoberGirl are just wet blankets.

NEGATIVITY!

Plus I’m guessing both y’all are easily distracted by material things. Some people carry Chanel and still have brains and good hearts to top it off!

• allen

January 13, 2011 at 12:12 am

maybe not at home…the point is it is easy to forget the cause when you look at the pictures.

• Golddigger

January 13, 2011 at 3:06 pm

@ me alone and her side kick negativity, maybe you didn’t realise that was a charity event and am guessing they didn’t either. Am not saying they shouldn’t take a picture or walk the red carpet with their channel bags all am saying is that it was just too hard not to notice that was what they came there to do’to show the bag’. And i never said either one of them had a bad heart…*eyes rolling*

5. partyrider

January 12, 2011 at 6:15 pm

beautiful ladies were in the house..wish her success

6. Nky

January 12, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Kike looked soooo gorgeous!! Good job boo

7. addicted

January 12, 2011 at 8:03 pm

i still cant believe people can turn such an event into a handbag showing thing..nawa for some nigerians..always looking for opportunities to show off…nice initiative though..hope it will be active

• NAIM

January 27, 2011 at 6:12 pm

dont hate, appreciate. so if they want to show off?
      abi did they buy it to hide it under their clothes, kmt

8. foolish talk

January 12, 2011 at 8:26 pm

omg!! one cant please NIGERIANS! SO WE SHOULD NOW HIDE OUR BAGS BECAUSE THEY ARE TAKING PICTURES. ABEGIIIII FADE JOR. IFY HOW OLD ARE YOU? IT BETTER BE YOUR MOMMIE’S CHANEL BAG. I AM OPRESSED! *ONLY KIDDING, YOU’RE TOO CUTE* MY JUNIORS HAVE BECOME THE “IT” GIRLS. GO KIKE!

• aboko ku

January 13, 2011 at 9:24 am

probably her mum’s bag. girls do that a lot nowadays.

9. ihuoma

January 12, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Nigerians re not smiling oo…hhahhahahha handbag show…okay we’v seen d CHANEL..what next LV..smh

10. MeAloneIndeed

January 12, 2011 at 9:27 pm

FOCUS ON THE EVENT PEOPLE, FOCUS!

11. gift

January 12, 2011 at 9:30 pm

i was impressed reading the mission of this foundation..but very disappointed after looking through the pictures…it tells me another foundation geared for the rich kids..everybody in their designer outfit.its very intimidating..at least show a picture of lives that were impacted through this foundation…uggh. cant even shout

• Kike Soyode

January 13, 2011 at 2:18 am

Hi Gift,

On the contrary the foundation was not “geared” for the “rich kids”. If you were at the fundraiser, you would have seen pictures of the foundation’s beneficiaries. Unfortunately, none of these pictures are here.

The children could not be there because most of them are in boarding school, or they had gone on holiday outside Lagos or were not able to attend for one reason or the other.

The fundraiser was held to raise funds to support even more children and to raise awareness and thanks to everyone that was there, as well as those that weren’t but felt the need to support the cause, this was achieved. The pictures had very little to do with what was achieved or the essence of the foundation.

I hope you will support this cause.
      God bless,
      Kike

• Golddigger

January 13, 2011 at 3:09 pm

@ kike exactly, you took the words right out of my mouth

• projectstitch

January 13, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Hi.nice work.I always exicited when I get to hear about such things.I would love to contact you personally.A gruop of freinds and I are giving out used books,we would love to give those kids you sponsor.

• gift

January 13, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Hi Kike
      thanks for shedding more light on what happened during the fundraising event.The pictures of guest and the main purpose why the event was planned was kinda conflicting. In the nearest future i will advice that the amount donated or a percentage should be reported and how much more support or percentage of fund is needed to keep this foundation moving into greater heights. thanks for creating such huge awareness and making an impact in your generation. I will definitely be support this great cause.
      God bless

12. jolie

January 12, 2011 at 10:38 pm

o GOSH black belle….. and so what if they are carrying the bags… i’m very sure if u had one u wud show it off as well if u’ve got it flaunt it.. GOD bless this lady activist for remembering other pple who are not priviledged.

13. whyudeyvexisityourmoney

January 12, 2011 at 10:44 pm

people always hating
    smh

14. October Girl

January 12, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I don’t expect some of you to understand. Nigerians are so fickle minded. No one said leave your bags at home, however don’t make it so obvious you need your bag taken also. Trust me if these bags were not high end bags, these girls would not have them on front street. One of the pics with the brown chanel bag seemed like she was doing a commercial. Meanwhile Kudos to Bola for your efforts.

15. allen

January 13, 2011 at 12:20 am

MeAlone
    You and OctoberGirl are just wet blankets.So because it’s for a good cause, people should leave their Chanel bags at home?
    NEGATIVITY!

lol…the funny thing is neither October Girl nor D.O.T.M.H mentioned Chanel. You obviously noticed people carrying the brand and I think thats the point they were trying to pass across. Its easy to forget the cause past the 3rd picture.

16. ugo

January 13, 2011 at 1:14 am

bellanaija team, thanks. the picture are pretty. but something i don’t understand is why you like including random people’s names in the photo tags. as in, for celebrities or ‘mini-celebrities’ or socialites, i guess, who people actually, i see the relevance of including their names. but for the other random event-goers who you just happen to know their names cos they are your friends or for whatever reason, i don’t know why you put their names. what are we supposed to do with that information? this is not an attack against you, it’s just something i don’t understand. maybe someone can educate me.

17. uju

January 13, 2011 at 1:20 am

WOW!!! God bless ur heart Kike.
    LMAO @ d handbag show off .. oh well .. i choose to comment my reserve 🙂

18. wow

January 13, 2011 at 2:11 am

pple must talk!
    if it was cheap bags they showed off…you wld insult them ooo!!
    just leave pple alone as long as they dont step on you toes, LET THEM BE!

19. gidirep

January 13, 2011 at 2:43 am

For the illiterates calling it a richkid fest or handbag shindig or whatever silly names, let me help stress. It was a “Charity Fundraiser.” Please feel free to step away from your screen and meditate on the quoted words. Everyone there made a contribution to a great cause while you were busy posting dumb comments on other blogs elsewhere. Say No More

20. NNENNE

January 13, 2011 at 2:50 am

It always feels good to give back. Nice occassion!

21. Vicky Okuns

January 13, 2011 at 2:55 am

Hi Kike,

First off, kudos to you for creating this organization. I feel such pride seeing a young Nigerian like myself engaging in some philanthropy as that is something I am deeply passionate about (hopefully I’ll be able to start my own organization once I’m done with this thing called school).

To the person complaining about “rich kids” you should understand that these are the people who are most likely going to make purchases at the event/buy tickets for the event (if there were any). Furthermore, one of the most important thing about fund-raising is getting your name out there and getting loyal followers; these “rich kids” are some day going to be businessmen/women, mothers, fathers, etc and it won’t hurt to have them in your corner. It just irks me when people see something good and all they can do is complain or make negative comments. If you don’t have any suggestion(s) to make #keepitmoving. I digress. I would just advice that maybe you should consider targeting their parents instead or in general workers because really they are the ones with the deep pockets/connections that would enable your organization to grow and reach many more children. I wish I had known about this organization while I was still the president of my school’s African students organization/not in my last semester of schooling.. 😀

Keep up the good work!

XO Vicky

PS- love your blog :o)
    PPS- sorry for the rant- just had to.. *shy face*

22. mary007

January 13, 2011 at 5:08 am

Young beautiful people doing great things!!! Well done people however Tari looks off with that hair colour

• nae nae

January 13, 2011 at 2:43 pm

she needs to remove it quickly!

23. mary007

January 13, 2011 at 5:19 am

Oh I just read the comments on bags! This is 2011 there is no pleasing you guys at least the bags are real and they are really the ones who will give to such a cause! everyday we lament about change in Nigeria now these very young beautiful people are doing something good you are complaining! get off BN page

24. sefi-ann

January 13, 2011 at 6:38 am

lovely work kike is doing, really inspireing to see the average nigerian youth create something so positive
    on a side note-OBINNA YOU CAN GERRIT!! WOOW HOTNESS

25. Yinka A-R

January 13, 2011 at 6:44 am

I want to thank God for Kike’s Godly heritage. I once worked with Kike’s Maternal Grandma in Ife, years ago, and I still remember her to have assisted many children from struggling background through school. Even in retirement I am aware of many girls that she supports in school. Not to surprised to read about Mummy Alabi’s granddaughter take up this noble cause.
    Well done Kike for such a kind gesture!

• Kike Soyode

January 13, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Even at 72, my grandma is still very active and helps me shortlist the children the Foundation supports.
      I can safely say she is the backbone of BSF!

26. Demilade

January 13, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Hey Kike I dont know you but can I give u a KUDOS great job going back to Naija and doing something
    Dont even begin trying to please everyone. Its an endless cause. AGAIN, GREAT JOB!!
    Loving the maxi dresses Tayo and Morayo

27. mariaah

January 13, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Well done Kike, keep doing what you are doing and I pray God grants you all the help you need to continue..

To those who sees the bags and thinks “chanel”, bags and bags and more bags: the eyes what it chooses to see. If you decide to see the goodness and love the foundation shows to people good on you and if you see bags; its your choice..

P.s I don’t knw kike but I like that her friends came to support and some of them look familiar too including her..

28. Pholthar

January 13, 2011 at 2:28 pm

29. iya

January 13, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Welldone Kike! Its such a great initiative and really wish more Nigerians will take up great causes like this. Because you have sown your seeds and time for others, its inevitable that you will never lack any good thing in your life. God never forgets such labour of love, trust me!

Shame about the typical vain nigerian people showing off their bags and their garments, for real who cares?!! Have any of them actually contributed to the cause or do they just want their pictures taken so they could be talked about?! It would have been nice to see pics of the events and the recipients, not all these fickle lot.

30. oluwaseun

January 13, 2011 at 3:25 pm

are u guys for real? what does it matter if its only “rich people or rich people’s kids” that attended the event? if “rich people” don’t attend charity events, you would be the same set of people complaining that the rich do not care about the poor in Nigeria. now that they have attended, you complain that they are showing off their bags. its a social event! Not a funeral service! besides, who were you expecting to see there? pepper sellers? they have a better chance of raising more money from more well to do people than a woman who sells pepper in the market. if you are intimidated or have inferiority complex, say so and get help or ask God to make you like those “rich kids” whom you seem to envy so much.

31. Edosista

January 13, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Umm…were people overworking their hinge joint muscles in an attempt to show off their handbags? YES.
    Should BN have posted pics showcasing the program itself? ABSOLUTELY..but then again the young lady posted the foundation’s website (i’m sure most of our eager n bright selves have not clicked on the link to look for ourselves). Why are we are so quick to tear each other apart.
    Is this an awesome Foundation which will enrich the lives of many? ABSOLUTELY!!! Nigerians..let us not take away from the main message in this event. Great job Ms. Soyode! It takes courage and strength to create hope for people you don’t even know and I hope your foundation grows and inspires more young people to give back to our communities.

32. Temi

January 13, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I’m guessing the fact that they are human beings is a good enough reason. No?

33. ladyluck

January 13, 2011 at 10:30 pm

GREAT JOB as child who lost her father at a young age I can relate to your foundation’s mission. LONG LIVE BSF!

34. osiko

January 16, 2011 at 6:48 am

I RATE KIKE…SMART THINKING, GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FOUNDATION

35. ab_olu

January 19, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Stephanie Faderin, little hottie! Always been one of the ‘yellow hotties’ in jand. My 3 ‘yellow hotties’ have always been Ezinne Alfa, Titi Osomo and Stephanie. Never heard any ‘negative’ thing about these 3! Sorry gone off-point here, hehe Good job with the event too! 🙂

36. NAIM

January 27, 2011 at 5:25 pm

so a bunch of rich kids decide to attend a carity event with their designer bags and outits and pple want to complain..come on now haters, seriously? what do u want them to wear? or is it because they are donating you now want them to act like paupers. kmt.
    look lets stop pretending here or hating on others and appreciate the thoughtfulness of the organiser and the fact that these people took time out of whatever they were doing to attend ok. they didnt have to and BN didnt have to post it either. aba why drink panodol for another persons headache. kmt next time do your own event and stipulate that no one should carry designer handbags or posttake pictures ok. nonsence

37. Gbenga Oye

March 19, 2011 at 12:57 am

Nice job. Your mummy is also a wonderful and rare woman of substance always willing to help. God will continue to bless and inspire you. Amen