News

BN Hot Topic: It’s the Season of Love!

Glory Edozien

Really, there are no prizes for guessing what our hot topic today will be. We are less than 72 hours away from Valentine’s Day. So I am sure you knew that’s what we would talk about today!

I remember in secondary school, ‘Vals Day’, as we called it then, was as important as the once a month ‘Visiting Day’, which we boarders were allowed. It was a day when the boys in school, finally showed their financial and romantic muscle. Weeks before hand, girls would have anticipated who was ‘Valing’ who and with what and the ‘sharp guys’ would have found some flimsy reason to dump any girl they were dating.

On the Day itself, we would wait at the entrance of the girl’s dormitory after evening prep, chanting as various girls arrived with all manners of gifts. Humongous teddy bears, boxes of chocolates, perfumes, cakes, box cards and jewelry. Only God knows how secondary school boys were able to afford such a hefty loot, but we girls didn’t ask, we just took and we got very upset when the boy we were ‘talking’ too failed to deliver.

I remember once, my secondary school boyfriend, Denen and his friend, Sule decided that they wanted to be different. They felt it would be too obvious to give their girlfriends gifts on Valentines Day itself and came up with an ingenious plan to make us wait two whole days before giving us the gifts. I remember fighting the urge to head-but him when he explained his plan to me. I looked him dead in the eye and explained that it was the most stupid plan I had heard in my entire life! How was I going to face all the girls in my dormitory, who would be chanting my name from a mile off, expecting that my so called boyfriend would have ‘declared’ for me. I can still remember their confused faces staring at my empty hands as I walked into my dormitory that night. I spent the next two days stifling gossip that Denen had dumped me and was now seeing another girl from a different school. Thankfully, true to his word, Denen arrived two days later with my special consignment of Valentines Day gifts. His plan finally made sense to me as I unwrapped and ate my box of chocolate.

All around the world, people use this special day to tell and show their loved ones how much they love and appreciate them. Personally, although I love to celebrate Valentines Day, I don’t think appreciating your loved ones shouldn’t be tied down to one day a year only. I remember last year, when I interviewed Banky W, he said he gave his then girlfriend, Valentines Day gifts for 3 days in a row! Did I hear you say Mr romantic toh bad?

But what about the lovely BN reader? Do you have any memorable Valentines Day experience from secondary school or from recent years? Did your significant other propose on February 14th? How did he do it? What plans do you have for this year’s Valentines Day?

It’s the season of love people! Spread the love!

Photo Credit: http://farm1.static.flickr.com

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you proposed or were proposed too on Valentines Day and would like to share your proposal story on BellaNaija.com, please send your story, complete with pictures to [email protected]. Please make sure the subject of your email is ‘Wedding Proposal Feature’. We look forward to hearing from you.

Glory is the host and executive producer of Inspire Series, the web talk show which uses the collective stories of everyday women to inspire others. She believes women are more than hand bags, hair, make-up and other externalities and is passionate about about pursuing purpose and living above societal conformities. She is also a day dreamer, and romantic at heart who loves TV, food and family. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @inspiredbyglory and read more from her on www.inspiredbyglory.com

1. lol

February 11, 2011 at 11:28 am

All your expressions in the right up shows you went to an fgc sch, anyway I went to FGGC Sagamu and it was more of girls giving girls present, not in this day though would have been interpreted into another thing, but hey I can remember a highlight in my Year 5, some toaster from fgc odogbolu sending out a val’s card to me, was I hot or whot!….anyway those are the days….now with 2 kids, hubby does it all….lol

• a mon avis

February 11, 2011 at 12:08 pm

@ lol I went fggcs as well lol. I remember the excitement that always surrounded this time of the year. Juniors getting paired up with seniors, and everyone asking “who’s your val?”. Not everyone was lucky enough to get ‘valed’ up(esp if they weren’t ‘tech’ lol). Day students immediately become everyone’s best friend cos they were the only ones who could help us buy stuffs from town (contrabands). On that night everyone would gather on sesames street or summin like dt(can’t remember the name)and the ‘declarations’ and ‘hailings’ would begin……good times

• Ready

February 12, 2011 at 9:21 am

Lol..yes, girl. Sesame street. I always thought it was stupid, the good Lord knows I never declared for any ‘alove’. Ijebu to the bone man. Those were the days!

February 11, 2011 at 12:12 pm

“All your expressions in the write up shows you went to an FGC School”….#My thoughts exactly cos I went to FGGC Abuloma

• lizzie

February 11, 2011 at 1:19 pm

who’s this Abuloma girl? Abeg oh share your story my ears are itching….lol. Abuloma all d way yayyyy.

• Omogekofo

February 11, 2011 at 12:13 pm

LOL, NICE ONE. Let Hubby continue till the Kids become men and join him in giving their mama the best gift anyone could get for a valentine.
      Nice one.

2. laraak

February 11, 2011 at 11:39 am

N0 1.hmmm mr Romantic toh Bad…will ave to keep him on suspense till Tuesday,like i dnt give a dam if love exist or not no calls, no birthday wishes,cos it’s also his B/D,get there unexpected and Kiss him like never b4 then wear him his Engraved bracelets and also give him a surprise B/D party already arranged with his frnds,he deserves it.

3. shay shay

February 11, 2011 at 11:56 am

this write-up has a purpose? a message? i don’t get it, and the typos ain’t helping….what!!!

4. memories

February 11, 2011 at 12:04 pm

While it seems to me that i’m first, i shall stifle the urge to scream “firrrrssssstttt”, as i know some people will not hesitate to take me down. On to the topic at hand, when i was in secondary school, my then boo told me very conveniently a few days before “the day”, that he doesn’t believe in vals. i can’t remember what my response to that was, but i do know that i didnt get nada on that day [he more than made up for it on my birthday sha]. I remember when i was still in university though, that some babes would be doing delivery girl for their male friends, while the recipients would be cheesing all around the place as their friends cheered and screamed. Sometimes, it was a contest as to who got the biggest gift[s]. Oh well…as for me, i never lacked gifts on vals day, all through my university days, and i suppose for that, i should have been proud, but i wasnt. i was instead, delighted to run to my friends’ rooms and see what they got…i even remember when i was in 200level, one of my friends got her boo one nice, more-expensive-than-my-then-shirts tie and perfume, i think – but the “boo” in question, got her a large, orange, empty box, a 40 naira card, one useless wine lai that,and he put everything in one purple polythene bag-the kind you get when you go to yaba market. Now, i know some of you are about to bite of my head with the “what if that’s all he could afford?” comments. Listen before you judge me: 1st, the boy was not a poor boy in school oh, rara. 2nd, i believe that if one cannot afford to give something with a semblance of sensibility on vals day, one should explain to the babe in question, and promise to make up for it later-and make good on the promise oh. Most girls wouldn’t object too much [remember MI’s song: whether na one naira…], and anyway, this particular babe wouldn’t have made a fuss if he’d simply told her that. But sadly, as it turned out, she was terribly embarassed, ‘cos the gist went round. Ah well…that’s my contribution to the bellanaija comments section today, please excuse any typos, this was typed in a hurry.

• Pizzazz

February 12, 2011 at 2:14 am

LWKMD!!!!! That guy should be castrated, please tell me she dumped him like that second!

5. Omogekofo

February 11, 2011 at 12:18 pm

My Boffy has been asking me what I want for valentine and I have had no serious answer for him.
    i actually thought valentine gift has to be something sort of an expected surprise. if i demand a car or a Box of Chocolate, what will he say of me?
    @Glory, I also went to an all girls school and the whole gift i got was from my “school Lover”. it was a nice experience and I relish the moments especially in my final year when i was a BIG girl. lol

• ilo

February 11, 2011 at 11:24 pm

School lover? Did you go to GGSS Dutse?

6. BOLANLE OLA

February 11, 2011 at 12:59 pm

vals in secondary school was somthing else, i attended FGGC Bwari abj and back then vals was a do or die thing…girls will starve or live on garri and dinning food just to buy gifts for their “lifee”(school daughter or mother)!it was a great experience but personally am not a valentine day person cos i feel gifts should be an everyday thing not just on occations,but we all love gifts on that day to know hw much we are appreciated by our loved ones. have a fab one all!

• Zizie

March 11, 2011 at 10:09 am

lol i feel you went to fggc bwari too, that kind life with an extra “e”

7. Karimah

February 11, 2011 at 1:06 pm

am not into this Vals Day stuff… and please don’t murder me… it is just my opinion… but I have a friend who proposed to his gf then (wifey now last year Vals Day).

We had planned that day for about 2 weeks, organized with Silverbird cinemas to have a mini movie play before the real movie started… got friends to show up like it was a normal day to watch Valentine’s day….

We all entered and the babe still didn’t know what was happening till the “movie” started and she saw her pictures on the screen… at the end he asked her to marry him and she said YES…

The original movie then started.

• partyrider

February 11, 2011 at 2:30 pm

wow..that was so sweet! 😀

• mary007

February 13, 2011 at 2:55 am

Wao thats some good planning

8. Chichi.

February 11, 2011 at 1:23 pm

LOL!! I’m feeling all nostalgic now. My own ‘old days’ were different. Back in Nigeria, valentines day was special even for primary school children. Back at Chrisland, because we were too young to understand the significance of ‘Lovey lovey’ day, prior to the 14th our teachers would take it upon themselves to write names on tiny pieces of paper, fold them up and put them in two seperate boxes; labelled ‘boys’ and ‘girls’. The children would then take turns to pick out a name. Offcourse there were cheers or moans of happiness or sorrows, usually depending on what class mate one got and then on the day itself, we would exchange gifts in front of the class. The fondest memory of this I remember was when I picked out a boy name Emmanuel and he coincidentally picked me too. I engage in fits of laughter as I recollect the gifts we gave each other. I bought him a full stationary set and a couple of Okin biscuits all from the local mallams shop. He in return, got me a plastic red rose, with assorted chocolates and fanciful ‘colour'(drawing)book. I thought it was as good as it got. Until fast forward 10yrs later, I get Jewellry, perfumes, free dinners at fanciful resturants; mind you, not before I ‘choose’ who I ‘want’ as a valentine.
    Truth is ‘Valentines day’ is western culture. In terms of economy, it is a way to make money. When i’m married I expect valentines day to be every single day!!

9. chewunski

February 11, 2011 at 1:41 pm

well i went to FGCL and i was never a recipient of val gift but i was quite mischievous putting wrapped box of sand, stones sprayed with KISS/SURE body spray in the lockers of val gift expectants or send it through a junior girl. it was fun well i have a date this year though i don’t like my date i would pretend to have fun.lol

• mary007

February 13, 2011 at 2:58 am

You are my kind of person I laughed and laughed and the fact that fast forward years later you are still at it- going on a date with someone you dont like!!!

10. lustre

February 11, 2011 at 1:49 pm

i just knew it was glory even before scrolling up to see d author of dis post.

11. uloaku

February 11, 2011 at 2:18 pm

in school, i didnt v a skul bf cos i jst felt it ws horrible, seeing the dude eryday in skul n al dat. besides dey were jst too young n immature. so yes i dated boys outside, i rem a particular yr, d guy bought me a huge cake n we had problems on how to deliver n collect cos ma parents were very strict n i rem for d first time in years my dad was sitting by the entrance to the gate wen i came bak frm skul.
    in d end i had to ask him to divert it to my friends hse cos ma dad refused to budge frm his sittin position. meanwhile in skul we wud wander ard lookin for those who were gonna be valed, n we were gushing and screaming for dem. lol. such lovely memories.
    ryt now my hubby does al dat n he is always sweet to make sure i v chocs dat day.

12. Jayla

February 11, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Didn’t have a boyfriend in secondary school but i always got gifts, somethings from 3 boys sef. Why date one boy when you can have plenty toasters?

Last year i got gifts 4 consecutive days from my BF then. This year, i am roasting. *shrugs*

13. am real

February 11, 2011 at 3:06 pm

well i have neva been valed but it as always exciting cos i went to a boarding school and we always camped outside the hostels to see who came in with the most gifts my most memorable of all was once wen we got drunk from the too many bottles of wine and started singing disturbing the whole school and the comandant had to come and put us to order. punishment wasnt funny thou. i also rememebr once when my friend went out of her way to borrow money to buy her boyfriend who was working nice tm shirts only for him to give her a small basket of fruits and a boltle of wine. my dear friend didnt waste time in asking for her gift back i had a good laff at dat one.

14. dammy

February 11, 2011 at 4:01 pm

looool…am really not in to this vals day thing. if my bf is gonna do that special thing on dat day he can aswell do for me unexpectedly on any day

15. Aibee

February 11, 2011 at 4:05 pm

lol

My thots exactly. I went to FGGC Sagamu too and the vals days parole was the same as Glory’s only that the gifts were smuggled in by day students for boarders. Some times, boarders ‘valled’ themselves too.

16. beanie

February 11, 2011 at 4:25 pm

hmmm…shagam girls!!!dey r everywia. val’s day really used to be d ish o. wit jnrs scramblin and hopin for the bubbling snrs and snrs hopin for the janded jnrs. hmm…so much anticipation, anxiety and fun sha

• Ready

February 12, 2011 at 9:32 am

Yes o, Sagamu girls. We are everywhere.

17. maryjane

February 11, 2011 at 5:39 pm

i went to FGGCO,(girls only) usually i get cards in dose days , cards dat u read over and over but now as a big girl i dnt get no vals gift it even affects my birthday which is a week after!does dat make me a mean girl or not social!i dont know but its been a bother dat i try to shove aside.i hope this year will be different!AMEN!

18. Temi

February 11, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I went to a mixed school and only got valled twice (I think). Nothing particularly memorable for me though I am looking forward to the future…

19. myne Whitman

February 11, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Ahhh…Valentine is a great day!

20. partyrider

February 11, 2011 at 7:25 pm

since after secondary school,vals has been yet another day of the week..
    i went to an all gals school,and there wasnt a dull moment oh.
    we “valled” each other,there were particular people every1 was interested in seeing what they got for vals,and when some people fall their hands,it was gist for the rest of the month 🙂
    a staff most times used to come down to the dormitory cos of all d noise from “hailing”. and when there were rumours of checking for contraband..hmmmm dats wen u will see hiding skills.i remember the ceiling in my hostel was open at one point,we threw all the vals gift inside and quietly closed it.we watched it closely so they dont get stolen by other gals.
    my birthday is the beginning of the month,so i always had 2 sets of gifts 😀 one on the 1st and the other on the 14th..
    vals period was wen stealing was on the high,esp money..lol day students used to front cos we needed their help..
    good old times..vals in sec. school was so much fun,plenty of drama.
    vals this year is just another annoying monday,with 12 straight hours of class 🙁
    meanwhile u guys should enjoy this song from Naeto C’s new album – “Afruru’m gi naya” very nice

21. Atukpa

February 11, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Bruno mars cd and 12 cupcakes, thats what i asked for. Thats what i’ll get 🙂
    Love is a burriful thing, my hubby doesn’t dig vals, but since his wife is a hopleless romantic. He shall oblige.

22. BN Fan

February 11, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I attended one of the private expensive high schools and it was such a big deal. The story Glory told explains what we went through as well. Loud screams whenever any of the boyfriends delivered. Those that did not get any, kept quiet in shame for some weeks. That is all behind me now. I recognize but don’t celebrate vals day. I celebrate the anniversary between my love and I.

23. Pizzazz

February 12, 2011 at 2:02 am

HEY!!! THIS IS MY FACEBOOK AVATER AND bellanaija STOLE IT FROM ME!!! no fair 🙁

24. desiresuzy

February 12, 2011 at 10:23 pm

i hope it gets better dis yr,have had nice ones though……

25. missy~spectacularrr

February 13, 2011 at 7:25 am

so its My birthday today…i generally am not so into Vals wahala cuz i got the 13th to fall back on! 😛

26. txart

February 13, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I went to QC and I roasted more or less every year, man. Even in uni, in the evening when everyone was out receiving and flaunting their roses, heart-shaped confectionery, and everything red, I could be found indoors with other single friends, eager for the night to pass. Finally o, this year, I am not roasting at all. It’s funny how long I’ve had to wait (I guess going to an all-female high school and being a geek-type in undergrad and grad school didn’t help much). But now it’s great and I wish everyone, whether single or in a relationship, a happy and productive Monday in class or at work je je 🙂

27. Oma

February 14, 2011 at 2:22 pm

happy valentines day. share the love. http://lifethroughomaseyes.blogspot.com

28. Christie

February 15, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I never like valentine’s day, seriously, its my birthday that day and it looks like an invasion of privicy. I wish I had the day to myself but nay, people are all over the place, i can’t grab dinner outside my house, I am mostly angry at that time.

29. pretty eyes

February 17, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Not a big fan of vals day but coincidentally 15th is my birthday n i mostly get combined gifts on vals day…but nxt yr my about to be new boo must work double shift o..cos urs truely will not accept such #thatisall#

30. Misola

February 18, 2011 at 10:39 am

i attended FGGC Akure n vals day was krazie! schl loves sent to each other n some would wrap sand in a box and send to pple juz to catch trips! Then we did ballot vals in my class…u buy something(no matter how small) for whoever u pick (whether u rap normally or not).
    Buh it was mahd in uni. dis friend of mine got her bf nice slippers, shirt, perf etc. though we warned of not spending too much without knowing what she would get in return buh she was forming love and ‘we’ve been together for a while’…
    she sent the gift to him thru another guy friend of ours so her bf cld get it at 12midnight.
    d guy didnt even call to say thank you let alone send her gift.she saw him at the cafe around 2 and that was when he said thank you, that he couldnt reach her due to congestion (excuse me, is it christmas? what congestion?)….needless to say, they broke up 2 weeks after…she said he was pressuring her for sex…
    ish!!!…lie…cos she wasnt a virgin at the time…

31. shanday

February 27, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Vals’ day makes me so nostalgic. It brings back so many memories. I went to ISL, and back in dem days, vals’ day was a big deal. U would see girls a wk before vals’ smiling sheepishly at the guys and guys going all out for their loved ones. The couples were settled on vals’ day because they knew they were definitely going to get gifts from their significant others while the singles would be hoping to get something from a secret admirer. All the single ladies didn’t want to roast lol
    In my first year at uni, i met a guy through my friend. It was close to vals’ day, and the dude in question rang me that he was going to val me. I was kinda excited cus I was happy I wasn’t going to roast. I decided to look extra special cus it was Valentine’s day, got my hair done, wore a cute top, did my make-up, the full monty in anticipation for my valentine to arrive. My valentine finally came and I couldn’t wait to dig into my goodies. Alas, he got me a pangolo hand-made card- you know those really cheap cards that they sell on the road and a book lolz. To add insult to injury, it was a boring australian audio book. I felt so deflated and couldn’t wait for the dude to leave my house. How can you get someone a book on valentine’s day, so unromantic. My dreams of whacking cake and chocolates were shattered.
    Thank God for being in a relationship! My roasting days are over

32. oilycheeks

April 28, 2011 at 3:16 pm

hm valentine..never vald in high skl,bt by d time i got in2 uni,i met a guy who turned d world around.woke me up @5am to a candle lit dawnfast.it felt like my buffday. got aphone,big bucket of icecream, chocs, perfs. was celeb 4 d whole week, friend went green with envy