News

She Clean Up Good!

The other day, I was on my way home from work on a BRT bus when a lovely looking lady got on the bus at the National Stadium Surulere and sat beside me.  There was something special about this particular girl; I mean she was positively glowing. It was obvious that she had just gotten her hair done; you know those big, long braids that you women do…or is it Ghana weaving you call it? Her make-up was fresh, her full lips all glossed up, her perfume was of the fruity type and as it hit me I almost fell into a swoon. I took a look at her hands and feet, nicely done nails and clean feet shod in a pair of fine slippers. She wore one of those long dangling silver earrings, a frilly, orange top and black pants. Wow! For the next twenty minutes or so I was in heaven.

As I rode beside her, I stole quick glances at her, but I didn’t say a word to her. I enjoyed her company, her presence in total silence. You see it is not all the time that I am fortunate to sit next to someone as good looking. I have sat next to all sorts of people and some of the time it wasn’t nice! In between stolen glances, my mind wandered to how easily attracted I was to women who, as I like to put it “clean up good.” For me, it simply meant that a woman who could take the pains to look her best at all times must be a “perfectionist” in other areas of her life.

At university, my roommate and I used the same analogy to determine if the girls we met were clean. We would look at their hands and feet. Our theory was that if a girl had clean hands, manicured nails, clean feet and nice toe nails, despite the dust and all, then she must be clean where it mattered most! Call us names but we invariably were right. Those girls with clean hands, more often than not were always neat and tidy looking, from their hair to their shoes or sandals. Little wonder we used to hang around the medical students’ hostels, for we noticed that the female student doctors always cleaned up good! Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that they were studying anatomy, physiology, biochemistry etc. Till today the cleanest, neatest, creamiest women I have ever met were doctors. Even today I still use the same standards, I check out hands and feet. No, it’s not a fetish, but I use it as a guide. I have had conversations regarding this issue with my friends, men and women alike and all agreed.

Every man will tell you he likes his woman to “clean up” good. Although a few men are actually intimidated by these women because they think that they are high maintenance, I personally see it as a huge bonus when a woman walks into a room looking incredibly beautiful. I also know of some guys who go to great lengths to make sure that their women look their utmost at every occasion.  From paying for human hair to buying the very latest accessories these men don’t play! But the truth is, even as they try, they say that they would prefer if it came naturally from their girls.

Even women too like for their men to hold their own in terms of physical appearance. A good female friend of mine once refused to date a particular guy because he always had dirty fingernails. She also confided in me that she preferred her men clean shaven and always found a way to make them get regular cuts at the barbers.

So I wonder sometimes why when we all agree that we like our other halves to look good, some of us let ourselves go especially after we get married. I’ve seen men who after marriage suddenly grow a beer gut overnight. They put on so much weight and the seams of their trousers are literally crying out for help. It’s almost as if they retire their once designer filled wardrobe and instead prefer to wear the same white traditional outfit and loosely fitted t-shirt repeatedly. Women are also guilty of this. The man wakes up one morning and doesn’t recognise the woman he fell in love with. He brings it up and she says she doesn’t have time or the money. Personally, I think it’s a lack of effort especially in the case of some married women.

Truth is we all should take the effort to look good, every time. Why? Because we cannot afford not to! We are all moved by what we see and we love to see beautiful things. I can only speak from a guys point of view and I know without doubt that men are first of all attracted by what they see, so there is no need kidding yourself with the “if he really likes me he will like me for me and not my outward appearance” excuse.  I know us guys like to think that you are doing it for us, but you should do it more for yourselves than anything else. So go get your hair done, redo as soon as it starts to get frazzled; grow your nails or get your nails done; shape NOT remove, your eyebrows; invest in some light make-up and lip gloss; dress up stylishly and smartly. Mehn! As my Warri brothers would say, “Your coming out no go get part two!”

1. Temi

April 15, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I believe in a good appearance no matter what… Nice piece TJ.

• CHickalaka

April 16, 2011 at 7:29 pm

For me If I see a guy with dry chapped lips or white lines on your lips…its a DEAL BREAKER! I cannot stress this enough. The next worse things are Body Odour/Sweat patches and/or Mouth Booming!! Not a good look or smell. Once you have those 3 things on check then others like hair, fingernails, hands will fall into place…

• ify

May 1, 2011 at 12:52 am

100 percent right

2. SeunD

April 15, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I actually like scruffy men, I like the laid back look, no Banky-W-esqueness, more like Uti Nwachukwu 😉

• oo

April 15, 2011 at 6:32 pm

lol. I love banky and all, but sometimes, that beard line looks way to precise for me.

• Blessed BreadLOL

April 15, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I feel you and that’s more of my thing too, however i think you may be confusing ‘effortless cool’ (a la Uti) with pretty boy (Banky). I don’t think you want a scruffy man. That would be likes of Jim Jones, Waka Flocka and Flava Flav. lollll

• Sassy Diva

April 18, 2011 at 1:17 pm

lolllllllllllllllllll you are right on point

• remi

April 17, 2011 at 4:38 pm

or johnny depp!!!

• Tbaby

April 17, 2011 at 6:29 pm

or gucci mane.

• Ifedayo

April 19, 2011 at 9:28 am

ahnahn now. Uti is not scruffy at all o. dts my darling u are insulting. lol

3. honey koko

April 15, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Nice one.

• ugowoundo

May 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm

this babe to fineooo…..nne make we hook up now…u look nice from a distance…lol…how abt meeting up close…hmmm?…

4. vivian

April 15, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Nice write up.i totally agree with the writer.we should try to always come out nice cos every first impression always counts

• Naenae

April 16, 2011 at 7:50 am

Il tell u now that believing in first impressions are for fickle minds

• OgheneElo

April 16, 2011 at 1:50 pm

ya but thats the reality…

5. Frema

April 15, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I will spend millions to get good pedicure, perfect hair and nice teeth…that’s me

• xadex

April 18, 2011 at 3:19 am

oh yeah? Millions ey? You just go girl!

6. first right?

April 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm

true talk right her…

7. first right?

April 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm

true talk right here

8. Miss ATL

April 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm

LOL @ “shape NOT REMOVE your eyebrows”

9. Iya2

April 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm

CLEAN WHERE IT MATTERED MOST!!!
    I NEED A CASKET!!

10. dubem

April 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm

me first!

11. onyinye

April 15, 2011 at 2:19 pm

true, very true

12. onyinye

April 15, 2011 at 2:20 pm

and i can`t help it, i`m sorely tempted to say “yay! first to comment”

13. Ima

April 15, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I love this. There is an extra amount of confidence you feel when you ‘look on point’. I’d rather have my clean look ‘intimidate you’ than a dirty look to ‘attract you’. My dear Nigerian ladies, let’s keep it glowing – we’re good at it! x x

14. me

April 15, 2011 at 2:24 pm

[email protected] shape NOT remove, your eyebrows!

15. Rosie

April 15, 2011 at 2:26 pm

1st to comment. Yess I agree!

16. tee

April 15, 2011 at 2:26 pm

nice one!

17. stella

April 15, 2011 at 2:27 pm

very true, i totally agree.

18. Miss T

April 15, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Looool, I like this, truly inspired me. Sometimes I cant be bothered, but my coming out no gats get part two. Back to sewing my skirt!

19. Naj

April 15, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I sure as heck know that feeling…. My BRT days are somewhat missed because off all the real life movies I used to watch, girls being chatted up, que jumping prowess etc. But the beauties are everywere.

20. ola

April 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm

First to comment…lol.. I truely enjoy this write-up. I think for women we should try to keep clean because cleanliness is next to Godliness. Am sorry to say, can’t stand a guy who is dirty

21. dabusta

April 15, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Yes oooo.Looking good is good business.well said TJ!

22. Ty

April 15, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Nice write up TJ,u said it [email protected] coming out no get part 2.

23. Luola

April 15, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Very valid point made about women and their appearance after marriage. Men marry women expecting them not to change and maintain the trim figure and trendy dress sense, and women marry men expecting them to change and become more responsible after marriage. Maybe these expectations are unrealistic but thats the truth. So for my fellow sisters you will have children and your body will change you wont have time for the pedicure and manicure every two weeks between business meetings and PTA meetings and sucking up to your in laws but at least let the man see youre making an effort, half the time thats enough. No wrapper tying after your first child,
    no hair net at 7pm on a friday night, join a gym, jog on saturday mornings, take someone along with you when you go out shopping for a second opinion …engage the interest of your husband men are visual creatures and whether we tag it vanity or whatever they are moved by what they see.
    For my brothers, hmmmmmm remember your swagger on campus those days when you used to take your time to clean up when you are going to her hostel to drop one or two lyrics so she can “gree” for you …please keep up the swagger and keep the lyrics coming its part of the man she fell in love with dont take it away from her. Yes you would grow a slight pot belly ( esp when the cheddar starts rolling in), yes your hair would fall out and you would grow bald but even when you dont have the looks anymore keep the lyrics coming she needs to know she is appreciated and yes if she needs to enrol in a gym, change her wardrobe, get regular manicures and pedicures and the whole works you had better be able to give her the money at least most of the time if not all the time . If you want a wife that looks like Beyonce you had better have Jay Z’s money. Shikena!

• I.go.talk

April 15, 2011 at 4:35 pm

lmfao @ “if you want a wife that looks like Beyonce you had better have Jay Z’s money!” PREACH IT!

• SeunD

April 15, 2011 at 4:55 pm

if u want to meet jay z better dress like beyonce

• temmy

April 15, 2011 at 8:31 pm

WORD!!!!!!!. Tell them oh

• Biggie girl'

April 15, 2011 at 9:50 pm

that’s a pretty nice thought. thanks Luola.

• Tina

April 15, 2011 at 11:17 pm

“If you want a wife that looks like Beyonce you had better have Jay Z’s money. Shikena!” true talk, i find that most men want the looks of Beyonce but they just can’t afford it, let’s be realist people. Take a look in the mirror before you step out of the house because like attracts like, when you look good, you attract people who look good too…

• ify

June 24, 2011 at 12:12 pm

well said sister!!! lmao!

24. Shantee

April 15, 2011 at 2:51 pm

wow! I’m truly encouraged to try a bit more. I really could be nonchalant with my looks especially in the evenings cos I think “everyone should understand I just got off work”… Lazy me there.
    Thanks for this piece…
    Sola’s “coming out no go get part 2 mehnnnnn” lol

25. foolish talk

April 15, 2011 at 2:53 pm

lol @ last comment.

26. E babe

April 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Oh my! awesme write up dat procrastinated manicure nd pedicure ild see u in a bit due to dis inspiring piece lol

27. na you

April 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm

28. omg!

April 15, 2011 at 3:08 pm

True talk. For me, it’s your teeth! I would look out for stained teeth’s no wan kiss any dirty mouth. How often do people go to the dentist to get out stains from their teeth? Scaling and polishing isn’t too expensive oh. I laughed when the reader said “shape NOT remove, your eyebrows; invest in some light make-up” and this is so right. I have some friends I wouldn’t try to give a hug, because am afraid they would stain my clothes with heavy powdered face or eye pencils. Some would wear so many eye shades like a rainbow. A word is enough for the wise…

29. moi

April 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm

there’s a diff b/w looking clean, being on point, looking expensive and being in shape with what u wear, so i don’t really get the writer’s gist

30. gbegborun

April 15, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Yes. Yay! for bella’s resident chauvinist.

• Ready

April 15, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Lol…funny.

• molarah

April 16, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I thought I was d only one that noticed. All the noise about the appearance a woman has to put up to get a man. As for me (if I was a guy) I’d rather go for a seemingly scruffy girl with a teachable spirit and a willingness to change than Miss squeaky clean whose perfectionist streak might come out in other areas of the relationship as hot yam balls you cannot swallow or manage. Not saying you shouldn’t be neat as a lady, but for a serious man that should be just ONE of the criteria, and not the ONLY one!

• StayWithME

April 17, 2011 at 7:43 pm

The funniest part is some women on here are their own downfall, encouraging sexism all in the name of wanting or keeping a man.

• Ayodeji

April 18, 2011 at 12:26 am

Abi oh! And women are here encouraging him! Does he mean on point all the time a la painted nails, tons of makeup and weaves? Or is it clean even though my hair is minus weaves and am not wearing any makeup?

31. Tiki

April 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm

You got it spot on, TJ! I like looking good, for me as well as for the glow in my man’s eyes, lol!

32. mabijo

April 15, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Yeah! I totally agree. For me its my nails,I need a pedicure and manicure urgently.

33. Babydee

April 15, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Darn it!!! Off to the salon i go.

34. anitttta

April 15, 2011 at 4:29 pm

@Luola…well said.
    Nice write up…there is no doubt that the smartly dressed female/male gets the most respect/attention based on first impression, dont trade that for nothing.
    P.S cracked lips (most guys r guilty of this) are a no no, pls invest in a lip balm.

35. MsLuffa

April 15, 2011 at 4:38 pm

it’s nice to get a man’s perspective on what looks good. Notice there wasn’t much about boobs hanging out and plenty flesh on display. Less is more when it comes to looking attractive i think.
    But the feet thing – how does a guy tell if a babe is clean in the winter when the babe has gloves on and booted feet?
    Besides, i know enough babes that only take time to look clean and leave the sink piled with dishes, their rooms are a heady mess covered with dirty laundry etc.
    Also, you could be clean and on point outside and have a stinking attitude… one size doesn’t fit all with the hand and feet test i’m afraid.

• tatafo!

April 15, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Abi oh! I know girls who look on point in their dressing but their place is sooo messy. Someone I know when she runs out of clean clothes just goes out to buy more. A neat presentation on all fronts is very important.

36. DIVA

April 15, 2011 at 4:50 pm

nice write up…and very true about married people..takes concious effort to look good after you’ve found what u are looking for but like u said TJ, do it more for yourself cos hei….its u who will either look good or ugly.

37. barby221

April 15, 2011 at 4:52 pm

This write up came in just in time. Thanks a lot. My colleagues and I have had different coversations and sometimes arguements in the past couple of days on “cleaning up good”. I for one think that a lady cleaning up good goes a long way to boost her confidence. Same goes for a man. Bulging tummies, dirty nails, dirty collars and flacky skin…… totally unacceptable!!! Like Ima said, ” I’d rather have my clean look ‘intimidate you’ than a dirty look to ‘attract you’”. A word for the guys out there, dapper does not necessarily mean high maintenance.

38. Biodun

April 15, 2011 at 5:16 pm

good article however i couldn’t help but notice how careful you were!! Addressing the issue whilst referring to the two sexes!!haha!

• K!

April 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I noticed it too. I guess he’s trying not to hit on the women as usual…in this article, atleast….lol

39. limah

April 15, 2011 at 5:33 pm

it’s good to b clean atall times.one feels more comfortable and pple will want to associate with u.but if u r nt clean enough reverse will b d case.

40. YeahIsaidIt

April 15, 2011 at 5:46 pm

when you loose oyall pot bellies (even at age 35), smell good, shave once a week and start having good breath and floss every day, then we will do all the above mentioned.

41. YeahIsaidIt

April 15, 2011 at 5:46 pm

and need i mention TAKE A SHOWER EVERYDAY – PLEASE

42. Bubu

April 15, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I totally agree with MsLuffa, U can see d most dressed, most classic,and he or she can turn out to be d dirtiest person on earth wen u go to his or her apartment.

• ify

April 15, 2011 at 8:50 pm

i agree wth u on that one

43. amber rose

April 15, 2011 at 10:13 pm

i wanna add smtn, i plan on tripling my effort when im married and he beta not complain when im looking fly. cos underneath d body of a mother of 3, beats d heart of the gal he toasted. my inlaw married dis fly woman. b4 i eva heard of brazillean weave, she had it on. she was so fly my gum ached. wat hapnd? she had a kid and seemed to lose it.it seemed marriage and motherhood had robbed her of her chicdom. a year later, she detertmines to do smtn abt that and now her husband is complaining. wats with the makeup, d clothes, d salon trips???? im like WTF???

44. Miss Face

April 15, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Errrm, there shd be clear distinction between guys being neat,smart snd trendy and being a pure diva!While we all want (need) a guy who looks clean,smells fresh,dresses well,has fresh breath,etc, let us not get carried away by guys who just cannot afford to miss their appointment with the manicurist.at the end of the day, man na man o. Almost(note i said almost) dated this guy.the 1st time we went out,all we talked about was:
    Him: So what cream do u use?
    Me: Errr…………………. did u just ask me wat cream i use?
    Him:Yeah, like i use this cream, it is sooooo good, there’s this shop where i go to get it frm cos the imitation is everywher these days and becos of my delicate, supple skin, i dont like to take chances
    Me: Hmmmmm………………………okayyyy
    Him:ok lets change the subject, wat is ur hair regimen like?I use this hair food i could recommend for u,it makes my hair so soft.Hav i told u the secret to havin soft, supple hands?i use this moisturizer and wear gloves at night.i even keep a tube of hand lotion beside my kitchen sink so that after i do the dishes………………………………..
    It just went on and on and on, the guy just wouldnt stop.Needless to say, there was no 2nd date! After that, i made a promise to myself.I like (Scratch that, love) clean and fresh good looking guys but there’s just somethin manly/macho about a guy who isnt soooo into himself.

• Snakeman

April 15, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Errrm…that chap must have been g.a.y
      When a fella starts behaving all fruity like that, wanting to know your beauty regime, be afraid. He probably using Tura cream, and sits down when he pees. If you dated him steady, you wouldnt have to worry about him not putting the toilet seat down after he used the loo.

• Es Tee

April 17, 2011 at 2:14 am

LMAO!!! Are u kidding me? That’s oh so cringe-worthy…omo, i go excuse myself sharp sharp; tell the guy i wan go order my body cream. I love men who knows how to take care of themselves but puuuulease, can’t stand guys who are waaay too into themselves. Like wharrahell? Not attractive at all…

• Purpleicious Babe

April 27, 2011 at 6:21 pm

agreed…. WHAT> I would have ran off with my bag after that 2nd sentence recommending me a cream?? randomm stuff…

45. Amaha

April 15, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Shett men this used to be me! Now I’m so not on point it’s terrible! Need to revamp my game with a QUICKNESS!!

46. Miss Face

April 15, 2011 at 10:19 pm

My 1st essay on BN. (Actually ddnt realise it was so long)Am i permitted to narrate my cousin’s ordeal?Pretty please?

47. Bukky

April 15, 2011 at 10:24 pm

YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

48. Gblu

April 16, 2011 at 8:00 am

Spot on .something divine about looking good and dressing well .it just keeps me going lookig forward to seeing the person the next day in new stuff. Call me vain in my school days I made sure I went at least 30days without repeating a shirt ,so imagine what i will be noticing if a girl is not on point all the time

49. sense

April 16, 2011 at 9:58 am

Wow…I guess i was the only one who saw this post as offensive….I can’t help but think he threw in the men bit just to placate the numerous female readers that frequent this blog…to the writer i think this was utter rubbish and vain…”Designer” cloth? dude what part of the world do you live in?….You come across as the typical vain Nigerian you meet when you travel home…Please grow up…

• Sisi

April 16, 2011 at 10:00 am

Thank God i was not the only one who thought this was a stupid article

• nomad

April 16, 2011 at 12:41 pm

me three. To see if a woman is “clean where it matters most?”. WTF?? i was reading the comments to see if anyone would find this ridiculous as I did

• spicy

April 16, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Thank u sense u made sense lol.also this is just my opinion but I thinkmen who marry high maintenance women better be wealthy or else they’re playing with bankruptcy

50. Kevin O.

April 16, 2011 at 10:29 am

Lock me up with a clean- sweet- smelling lady anytime any day. You can tell a clean woman from her hair, clean nails and well pedicured toes even if she’s walking bare feet and all dressed down. These are signs she’s clean inside out.

• Timma

May 3, 2011 at 2:20 pm

or signs she is very lazy and does not care if the house is a mess as long as she looks good?

51. ange21

April 16, 2011 at 1:35 pm

i am a girl who believes in lookin good everyday single day! not like a million bucks but just clean and good… not for the honeys but for yourself. when you look good you just feel good!! simple

52. somebody

April 16, 2011 at 1:48 pm

SO TRUE!!!!!!! At least for me. The neatest women I have met are doctors.

53. AF

April 16, 2011 at 1:56 pm

lol “He probably uses Tura cream and sits down when he pees” this sounds so funny

• Agnes

April 17, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I don’t mind a man that sits down when he pees (at least in the home). Why? Some men have bad aim. Try cleaning up after one. Lol!

54. ijaw babe

April 16, 2011 at 5:39 pm

looks can be deceptive, i know this guy that dresses good, smells nice and has a nice ride but lives in a dump.

55. Funmi

April 16, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I could not decide if the writer meant cleanliness as in: physical hygiene and “doctor-clean” or miss perfect that gets her hair done every two weeks, gets manicures & pedicures and is always engrossed in fashion magazines to find the latest designer wear. And the fact that dress nicely means you would smell nice down below? This article was a bit all over the place…

56. Shocked

April 16, 2011 at 11:10 pm

This is the kind of sexist expectations people have of women, that make it so hard to even breathe. Are you really judging this poor girl’s sexual health by looking at her fingernails?? Really?? She’s sitting on the bus, minding her own business, and someone is judging her innards. SMH.

• StayWithME

April 17, 2011 at 7:51 pm

The funny thing is people can’t see the undertones.

57. Omotoyosi

April 17, 2011 at 12:10 am

Big up to you all, lovely comments also, especially Luola nice write up. Everybody wants to look good either to impress, to make someone feel intimidated or better still to feel comfortable and get compliments. I love looking good and this write-up is more like an encouragement to look better.*wink*. Nice one TJ

58. niyi

April 17, 2011 at 10:29 am

Nice one!

59. benny

April 17, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Some people want to look and dress clean but their environment sucks…Let’s start from home..sounds much better for me…secondly u don’t have to spend much money to be clean….looking fabulous is difft from looking clean…..Trust me most people in Nigeria looks dirty cus they stay in dirty environment…..Watch those your dirty friends who later travel overseas …..How do u see them whenever they visit back? still clean or dirty?…My point is that our environment has a mojor role to play in this…

60. nony

April 17, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Not only for the sake of men or women,but for ur own good, yeah dats rit. The way u dress is the way u wil be adressed.

61. salsera

April 17, 2011 at 2:28 pm

you may ‘clean up good’ but your cleanliness domestically could be very poor. I know too many men and women that look on point 99percent of the time yet they are the dirtiest. most untidy with bad habits to boot. So having perfetly manicured nails and gorgeous locks(albeit fake) should not be used to judge people

62. Kits

April 17, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Great Article! Nice and refreshing read witha lot of good points too! Ah my Wafi Bros , I hail oooo

63. niyi

April 17, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Nice one.

64. MUG

April 17, 2011 at 9:14 pm

and please also ppl that chew their nails… it’s DISGUSTING!!! I have an uncle that can barely make a sentence cos his hands r ever stuck up in his mouth you don’t have to get your nails polished or fixed what ever but they can just be trimmed NOT cut(at least the upper part of ur fingers shouldn’t be exposed).
    You don’t have to have jay z’s money to be a beyonce. You don’t also have to be expensive to look gud, clean and be on point. The issue of hair net after before 7pm-so true. The worse part is that alot of those hair nets are dirtier than the hair it’s self. Some ppl wear hair nets and they never wash it. The only saving grace the hair net has is if it gets missing or maybe a better person takes it. I am guilty of not making my hair cuz i like the texture of my natural hair. I have been out of Nigeria for over 7 months now and I have made my hair only twice. In Nigeria, mumsi was always on my case. But is it wrong to have your hair wrapped up into a donut or sumthing like that.
    And before i forget please ( seriously i’m begging) SHAVE UR ARM PIT. mostly those of you that can like to wear sleeveless tops/ gowns n tubes- SHAVE and use nice deodorants; even if use the best perfume on earth and there’s no deodorant on ur skin( armpit) when u sweat it’ll over- shadow the fragrance of the perfume. And if u have mouth odour ALWAYS have gum with you.

65. G

April 18, 2011 at 9:45 am

being clean is not high maintenance ladies…don’t misunderstand the writer. you can be clean and good looking and all and will not have to spend a fortune for it…

66. ade b

April 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm

think about when you are trying to be clean,and it not working out the way you wanted it ‘ all because of cash.

67. emeka

April 19, 2011 at 8:28 am

miss Face i enjoyed your first essay….lol, waiting for the second one

68. femininegurl

April 20, 2011 at 9:21 am

[email protected] miss face,r u serious?’effortlessly clean n sexy’,plsss don’t try too hard,like say u no dey -.
    He shudnt b that into himself..nahhh.and me i’d rather look good for me.

69. king's kid!

April 21, 2011 at 11:08 am

@Kevin u’re so on point! can’t compromise dirty nails & feets. @ Miss face pls yarn us your cousin’s ordeal.lol

70. adeboyeh

April 23, 2011 at 11:18 pm

very beautiful piece,

71. Weiwei

April 27, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Hahahaha… I love the “shape NOT remove your eyebrows” part…

72. Purpleicious Babe

April 27, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I think it is a very interesting article one where all sort of opinions are derived. Personally, I dont agree or disagree.. quite frankly i dont care about what men think or dont… U can’t speak for all.. But being clean is nothing special most people tend to attempt to clean up and look good. SHa I like some oyinbo attitude they no send… some dont bath for days, or do their nails.. they simpy spray perfumes and wear nice clothes… many at my uni..

Regardless, humans should be clean for hygeine purposes to be free from bacteria and illnesses both male and females.. take care of your skin and it will take care of u.. having said that it will vary for different people.

As for the married couple… it is very easy to judge and say that she has let herself go or him…. mate we dont know anything.. Until u are married come tell me stuff.. Besides, there is more to looking good it takes time and effort and mental state. If ur mental state is a mess, how can u be bothered with ur looks???
    Now for that man that has tummy, do u know the stress he is facing.. NOPE.. U DONT KNOW… Now we can argue that there are people that are stressed but still maintain good looks and clean shaves…we all have different coping mechanisms…

The woman that seems to lose swagger point, maybe it was not her thing at the first place, she did for pressure.. or maybe SHE DOESNT have the energy to please a greedy cheating husband .. etc. it could be all sorts..

As for me looking good is great, looking to fix fake nails are not my thing man… i hate it…it just looks wrong to me. Anways it comes at a price called maintainance so before I judge I must look around and see whats up.. All in all I pride myself in looking good but not at any extra financial expense…. I dont really care… am sorry I have the future to think about not hair and make-up…

In conclusion, i like the article but it is typical of men to always be attractive to what they see and typical of womento make efforts and show they are worth that look… who cares????

73. Purpleicious Babe

April 27, 2011 at 6:43 pm

who knows maybe that lady that sat next to u, just got a new job and was happy thus treated herslf to a fantastic make-over or maybe Alahji gave her some doh.. who knows???…. Dont be moved by what u see it does not have to be a male thing, it is in the mind…

74. TheTruth

April 29, 2011 at 9:18 pm

As you have said, men are visual so I’m not shocked by your judgement. I agree with you as the saying goes Cleanliness is secondly to Godliness but take it from a lady…DON’T judge a book by it’s cover!! I know many women who ONLY know how to dress up, many! Lots of women who have the time to wear too much make up,or pamper themselves all the time tend to be a disappointment. As for Beyonce and Jay Z people seem to forgot that every look( display) is a BUSINESS. They have stylists, personal assistants etc to ensure they have a look you will want and buy so they can have a fat account.

75. weezy

April 30, 2011 at 1:25 pm

is good to look good all the times.also there is this saying that ‘the way u dress,is the way u will be address’.

76. utch

May 3, 2011 at 6:18 am

its good to be CLEAN at all times..but its nt abt d eyebrows or makeup n all..just take a bath,brush your teeth,wash your hair nd wash nd iron your clothes(doesnt av 2 be 30 4 d month)..nd keep ur house nd your heart clean also..dats ok 4 me

77. Timma

May 3, 2011 at 2:19 pm

For once I agree with your write-up though I do believe there is more to it than just looking good on the outside and also believe that the hands and nails test is not a true representation of the person’s personal hygiene as they may be clean cos the individual just puts their feets up all day doing nothing.

78. Samuel

May 12, 2011 at 5:15 am

Really, really nice piece. Love the engaging flow of words. I used to think I was the only one obsessed with beautiful nails, toes and fingers. And true to your words, I have always felt clean feet, toes and fingers are the major indicators I need to know a ladies attitude to cleanliness.

79. Tyna

May 12, 2011 at 9:58 am

dis is quite educating

80. Benita

June 10, 2011 at 12:05 pm

As a lady/men it is good to look good anytime and anywhere.

81. Inez

September 24, 2011 at 3:42 am

True Talk.

82. CaRaMeL SeXy NoNi

January 30, 2012 at 10:11 am

gbam! he said it all, lovely piece

83. AMARAsoulz

January 3, 2013 at 6:47 pm

As a Lady, she should always keep up with her appereance. doesnt matter where she goes. first imperssion is always the most important. when you look good YOU FEEL GOOD!