News

Say I Do in 2 Wedding Dresses! – The Tale of the Second Dress

BellaNaija.com

We promise to have a new wedding feature up by tomorrow!
In the interim, we will like to talk about the new wedding trend that is gaining popularity amongst African bride.
The Second Dress
In Western countries such as the United States of America, brides have made the second dress an integral part of their wedding agenda.
This dress is often referred to as the “reception dress”;

We asked a couple of brides why they chose to wear a second dress and here are the responses that we got;

• I fell in love with two gorgeous dresses when I was wedding shopping and just couldn’t pick! I wore both and my husband loved it.
  • My main wedding dress was a huge ballgown and though it looked beautiful, I could barely walk in it! So I got a second one – a more relaxed yet still beautiful dress which was much more comfortable.
  • I really didn’t want to wear white for my wedding and my mother was like “NO NO NO”. So I wore a safe white dress for the ceremony and the dress of my choice for the wedding.
  • For me, I just felt it was “my day” so why not! If I could afford 5 dresses, I would have worn 5!

Check out photos of our beautiful BN brides who said “Yes” to 2 Dresses!

Sandra chose a beautiful MAI wedding dress for her wedding ceremony and then changed into a shimmery silver mini also by MAI paired with red shoes during her reception.
Wedding feature coming soon to BN!

Sandra Ekewenu (nee Otohwo)

Bolanle looked stunning in her dropped waist Lazaro dress and then a custom-made sparkly silver dress for the reception after party.
Click to see Bolanle & Temie’s wedding feature

Bolanle Williams-Olley (nee Bob-Egbe)

Mayowa’s Renella De Fina dress had a sleek sophisticated look while her golden reception dress by Peridot & Ruby was playful and ladylike.
Click to see Mayowa & Lekan’s wedding feature

Mayowa Fabode (nee Akintobi)

Bisola was a princess all through her wedding – from her embellished couture wedding dress to her reception dress.
Dresses by Walid Shehab & Zuhair Murad
Click to see Bisola & KP’s Wedding Feature

Abisola Kola-Daisi (nee Abiola-Ajimobi)

Kate Middleton went with the two dress trend. After her monumental wedding ceremony, she changed into a sleeker dress accented with a crystal belt.
Both dresses by Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen.
Click to see Will & Kate’s Wedding Feature

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge (nee Kate Middleton)

Tips for Picking a Second Dress
Buy something that is a completely different style from your main dress
Do not “break the bank” trying to buy an expensive dress – remember there is life after the wedding

So…Will you “say yes to a second dress”?

1. oma

June 30, 2011 at 3:47 pm

all lovely, guess style choices differ for individuals…yay, i’m first

2. cathy

June 30, 2011 at 3:51 pm

My naija babes looking all fabulous. muahhhhhhhh

3. azukas kelly

June 30, 2011 at 3:53 pm

as if wedding aint expensive enough!! bella naija uve come again o!!

4. Aibee

June 30, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Yes I would. I’ve been thinking about it for a while. Particularly as my choice ‘church’ dress would look really great with a cathedral train. I’m dying to wear a bird-cage on the d-day too. If I can’t afford 2 dresses, I’ll definitely do 2 veils. At all at all na im bad pass!

5. funky mf

June 30, 2011 at 4:06 pm

[email protected] Kate Middleton!but wait oh that girl is too skinny jor!

• TallOne

July 3, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Bella naija needs a like button.

• BABY GLO

August 25, 2011 at 11:16 am

her husband is there is pump her up, and make all those skinny area to be plumpy

6. Lamide A.

June 30, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Gorgeous ladies!!
    I definitely will 🙂 I love the idea, & I plan to be quite different with mine.
    I should probably sort out the whole “husband” issue first, though, abi? 😆

7. tick tock

June 30, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Wait oh bella nor vex is that sandra otohwo, the sandra otohwo? As in MBGN Universe 2009, is she married OMG. She looks a lot bigger and fab, love both dresses

8. benny

June 30, 2011 at 4:41 pm

love your site.

9. Jace

June 30, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Oh! Look at my Ssandra, looking all gorgeous!

10. Jace

June 30, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Oh! Look at my Sandra, looking all gorgeous!

11. tbaby

June 30, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Great idea, i ‘ve always wanted 2 diff’ dresses for my big day. I need to feel comfortable, relaxed and able to dance my legs off n i won’t be able to do dat in a ball dress would i?

12. rebel

June 30, 2011 at 6:32 pm

yep, definitely! love the two dresses trend. gonna do it

13. alexy

June 30, 2011 at 6:44 pm

gud stuff B. am definitely following this trend mine is coming up in dec

14. Naveah

June 30, 2011 at 7:45 pm

This is certainly not new, I remember when my aunt got married in 1970 in Lagos, she wore her wedding dress for the ceremony then changed into her reception dress which was a simpler dress so she could move around better. There are some people who buy dress that convert from long to short or have a removable train which saves money. I had two dresses as well since I got married early in the morning in an out door setting, I wanted something short and very simple; however, for the reception in the evening I wore something long and sleeveless. Both dress cost me a little under $600 at both Macy’s and Nordstrom which didn’t break the bank or husband for rake lol

• Chizy K

June 30, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Naveah you’re so right, even in my village lol…
      Anyway some now do traditional and white wedding on the same day, so after the church service, they change into a more comfortable traditional wear for the reception n traditional rights

Chizy

• Beverly

July 1, 2011 at 3:11 am

I would say new trend for western brides cos as far as I can remember quite a number of Nigerian brides don the reception dress, in 04 a friend of a friend had a red dress for her reception. I used to think it was extra girls who did that , you know, “I must to do ” brides.

15. Fab junkies

June 30, 2011 at 8:12 pm

16. Tosin

June 30, 2011 at 8:28 pm

The Nigerians all look nice. The Kate waist looks too fat-free sha o.
    I really can’t stand wedding dresses. I would wear one if I was acting (and getting paid a lot for the role) otherwise I just don’t get it.

17. Ashabi

June 30, 2011 at 9:18 pm

i love the first brides outfit…. banging.com

• Ready

July 1, 2011 at 9:49 am

Lol…somebody likes Toni Braxton’s sister.

Loove the 2-dress thing; if you can afford it and your man loves the dress too, why not?

18. YeahISaidIt

June 30, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Stephanie Okereke and Mercy Johnson take notes. I am not scared for Stephie but as for Mercy hmmmm – I hope everyday that come August that she makes the right choices in her style for her wedding day – you only got one time to have great photos and lacefront on forehead and razz dressing aint gonna cut it – i mean her chosen bridal train alone is something else (has me scratching my head like – chai-na wa ohhh) – MERCY JOHNSON SURPRISE ALL OF US, – IF YOU HAVE TO HIRE A HOLLYWOOD CELEBRITY STYLIST for just that one day PLEASE DO (lol) – MAYBE KIM KARDASHIAN CAN LOAN YOU HERS.

Seriously the most anticipated wedding for me to watch this 2011 is Kim Kardashian – My ultimate fashionista role model (i said fashionista ohhh so dont go saying i said pior pior pior – she is a role model in the fashion end ONLY – nothing else) – I am so excited to see her wedding more than i was for Kate Middleton. Yall know Kimmy cakes leaves no stone unturned in the fashion department. I cant wait till august.

Oh i forgot and then we have Ms Funke Fowler upcoming nuptials in November too. I already saw the photos for the introduction last week at her grandmas house and they are nice as expected

I miss the good old ole days 2004/5/6/7 where were use to get plenty wedding sites nyanfo nyanfo – after 2006/7 ihekwoaba sister trio’s everything died down i dont see as many sites popping up these days – back in the day i use to get a site emailed to me everyweek by friends. Oh well maybe ppl are not getting married as much.

Oh and U.E (since you dont want to tell everybody i will initial you name) you think you will go scot free abi. You think we dont know you are getting married too – and that you are now engaged – hia!. hmmm. We know and we are also keeping an eye on you and congratulations – even though you havent officially announced we know. Lol

• Nike

July 4, 2011 at 10:59 am

Sorry but I don’t get the gist of your comment…

• Kemchi

July 8, 2011 at 3:41 am

Aaaaaaah, now I’ve decoded the info in your last paragraph! Somebody’s been holding out on us 😉
      Anyways that is the very wedding I would like to see. I kinda had a feeling something was up, call it 6th sense 🙂
      Until we’re officially informed, I shall say no more!

19. mamav

June 30, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Too much money is worrying nigerians jor. I mean weddings are already too expensive around here.

20. chichi

June 30, 2011 at 10:02 pm

oh i luv d concept,i hv always longed 4 something lyk dis.

21. Excited B

June 30, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Im so excited to see this feature as its exactly what i plan 2 do on my wedding which is comn up in a few months. I’m designing my1st dress n having it made by a top designer here in Lagos, and then the second is a dress that was worn by one of my favorite celebrities and im having an exact copy made for me by another designer though the 1st is like 5 times d price of the second.

22. nefertity

July 1, 2011 at 12:47 am

A huge mighty YES!! I’m sooo fascinated by weddings(even though I know say my wedding still far) and I sure will have a second dress(was actually thinking of 3 dresses) *huge smile*

23. Lola X

July 1, 2011 at 1:20 am

It is a big day after all!!!

Lola x, London

24. NNENNE

July 1, 2011 at 1:41 am

People should go with what works for them.We are all unique individuals.
    * I know naija people too dey like follow, follow.*

25. Trazey

July 1, 2011 at 3:24 am

more dresses for salvation army…:)

26. udsparkles

July 1, 2011 at 6:56 am

I would definitely say a big yes to d 2dresses its soooo cute….instead of struggling to dance in d white ball gown at d reception….

27. Tayo

July 1, 2011 at 7:32 am

By the way Sandra’s 2 dresses were made by MAI’s bridal new label Weddings by MAI, I was at the wedding as a bride’s maid and he made our dresses too. The boy is talented, feeling the boy, feeling feeling the boy. I know where I am going on my big day for my 3 dresses lol!

28. faith

July 1, 2011 at 9:11 am

MY WEDDIN IS COMMING UP NEXT MONTH….thanks bella for dis ….i ll definitly do two dresses….

29. bcgeorge

July 1, 2011 at 11:24 am

everything na double double eeeeh!!…..na double double!!….my wedding gown na double double eh! na double double!! *now dancing atilogun* 🙂

30. Aby

July 1, 2011 at 11:40 am

See dem…awon follow follow…..Nigerians like to copy and end up abusing the whole idea. Same happened to human hair, LV bags, Blackberry, etc ….now its 2 wedding dresses. you for kuku wear 10 na… kmt!

31. Tee

July 2, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Then after dress no 2, I’m expected to change to my traditional ‘Iro and Buba’ again, seems I will spend the whole day changing instead of having fun…My 2nd dress is my ‘Iro and Buba’..let the oyinbos stick to their reception dress…No can do!

32. chica

July 3, 2011 at 1:51 am

I think people forget that as much as possible, what one does or in this case, what one wears, at their wedding is THEIR choice. So to the ladies that chose to wear a reception dress, kudos. You did and wore what you wanted at your wedding. I can understand why especially if you want to be able to boogie and your dress might be a hindrance. If you choose not to, and instead change at the end of the night when you’re off to your husband’s house, then that’s your choice as well. DO YOU!

33. vintage style wedding dresses

July 3, 2011 at 11:59 am

the mermaid style dresses are definately the best, you just need to have the right figure to pull it off, something I think was done by the fourth bride.

34. OmogeNaija

July 4, 2011 at 4:13 pm

The idea is nice, but I dont plan to have a church wedding not to talk of wearing a dress, 2 ahhhh, long thing, I am decking my iro and buba and carefully tied gele. Registry could be a Suit, I wonder why we spend 50% of our yearly income on a day and the remaining 50% on 364 days.

35. The Diva

July 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm

HMMMNNNN,
    FOR MY DREAM WEDDING, A DRESS IS UNLIKELY, AND WHITE IS DEFINITELY OUT. BUT THAT’S IN MY DREAMS, WE’LL HEAR WHAT MY MUM HAS TO SAY!

36. Disbabe

July 5, 2011 at 6:28 pm

gosh i love Bolanle Bob Egbe’s second dress ..

37. Excited B

July 5, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Bella, we are waiting for your new wedding article, 2morrow don reach one week o.

38. Oro

July 6, 2011 at 5:53 am

I would definitely have the two dresses if I can afford them

39. queeny boo

July 7, 2011 at 2:24 am

Always had this plan right from when i was a kid….well nice one

40. Ella

July 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Nice!!, nice!, nice!!! one. The wedding alone is worth it. I will definitely, no, infact I must wear two dresses on MY BIG!! DAY! cos it’s 1nce in a life time.
    @bcgeorge, I dey feel ur song.
    @Aby, pls wake up oo.
    @Faith, dis ur wedding next month, hhmmmmmm!!!!! well I go come sha !!

41. Ella

July 7, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Sorry I 4got, @YeahlSaidlt, did u just say U.E is wedding soon? no bi small thing ooo. Abeg wen n wia? I won go ooo lol.

42. Deegurl

July 7, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Nice

43. moon

July 9, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I don’t get why people want two dresses on their wedding day…. You wear your wedding dress only once… you might as well wear it throughout the day instead of changing

44. Purpleicious Babe

July 11, 2011 at 1:03 am

Not bothered…. its whatever…

Children are dying of starvation everyday… I will feel guilty to spend ridiculous amount of money on 2 dresses just like that… (interesting trend, people will start copying it now)…

45. xadex

July 11, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I always thought I’d want to stay in my dress all day. But I’ve been thinking about it and it’s not the best idea for a wedding in Nigeria, the dress will most probably be heavy and in that sun wow babanla sweating. I want to glow on my wedding but with happiness, not sweat. I think changing gives you some time to get refreshed, maybe even a quick shower lol
    I feel like this comment has somewhat diverted from the main point..lol…but oh well, just my thoughts x

46. Nonye

July 12, 2011 at 11:27 am

The idea is not new. I really wanted to have 2 dresses cos I had bought one and fell in love with another. But I had to slap myself again and say what? One dresss is expensive enough and I had better use up the money spent on it, while I can. Its just for some hours babes and then its all over. But then if you like oh, make you buy..everyone is different. And my advice to brides is..do just what you like. Na your wedding oh and its only one time! ehen

47. tits

July 12, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Beetn nursing the idea for a while but ma sis advised to wear trads after church bur now;am so having a second wedding dress!!!!
    sure thing!

48. feyi

July 13, 2011 at 1:31 am

Yep yep its a good idea to wear a 2nd dress (long or short dress or even traditional, or all of the above). trust me, ball gowns aren’t the easiest dress to walk in let alone dance in. if you want to feel comfortable (and not smell of sweat) and boogie well , i’d suggest you slip into something comfortable. As for me my wedding is next year, i am wearing 2 dresses and then my traditional attire. (its not that expensive to get 2dresses—if u can afford it why not!!!)

49. ivy

July 13, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Sandra looked so preettttyyyy on her wedding day, was der and her wedding gown was fantastic

50. Vivian

July 13, 2011 at 11:09 pm

I have seen these two gowns trend in my friends wedding and it was fabulous. And I learnt that Benkol designed the gown for her, on a special order arrangement..

51. Momoh cynthia

July 14, 2011 at 1:25 am

……This is simply……. wow!!!!

52. amie

July 16, 2011 at 11:24 am

YESSSSSS!!!!!! INFACT 3 DRESSES!!! :d

53. oge ezinne

July 27, 2011 at 11:59 am

Osheeeeeee!! Can’t wait for mine. Gosh! Loving all the dresses

54. spikey

August 2, 2011 at 7:16 am

Lovely idea.my wedding z comin up and I don’t even have a wedding dress idea in mind.not even a theme. Any ideas plsss

55. Babelle

August 14, 2011 at 3:01 pm

This is definately a nice feature, but truth be told,if you can afford the money, oh dear…spend it, but if you don’t have cash as in cash, please do not over do it cause you might end up having lotta wedding debts as your wedding gift. . . . Lol, dis site actually makes me look forward to moi wedding….. Well done.

56. Queen favour Duke

December 10, 2015 at 1:40 am

Nice gown and I love them.. This is individual differences…. If u can afford it better.