Style

‘Light as Air’ – Wana Sambo Fall 2011 Collection- The Lookbook

Ijeoma Balogun

Wana Sambo is a high street fashion brand with each piece is designed with a target for daily use. This means that every WS piece can be worn repeatedly and dressed up in different ways by the wearer.

“Our design aesthetic ensures that each design is not limited to events or occasions. Most pieces can easily transform from day-wear to night-wear”

The collection ‘Light as Air’ stemmed from the designer’s appreciation for the tulle fabric;  Its softness and free-flowing nature ensures the comfort of the wearer and the ability to make one feel ‘Light-as-Air.’

The lookbook was shot on an old ship. The model is in a state of confusion/dissatisfaction and she wonders why her fantasy about living luxuriously on a ship is unreal. She sees herself as a demi-god able to tackle anything because she is ‘light-as-air’. Like every fantasy, it ends and reality sets in. . . it is an old ship in the dock.

The use of the Ankara fabric for hand scrunchies, shorts, pockets and inner linings, and the multi-coloured Aso-oke skirt ensures our staying true to African heritage per collection. The Wana Sambo woman is fierce, strong and exotic.

View full collection below:

Click to follow Wana Sambo on twitter
Like Wana Sambo’s facebook page

Credits:

Photography: Eribon Photography – 08029961287
Styling: Wana Sambo & Onyinye Fafi Obi – @baboOsh01
Make-up: The Wana Sambo crew

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Follow me on twitter: @ijeomandekwu

Ex-Style Editor at Large - BellaNaija.com , Now Founder/CEO Redrick Public Relations Limited. @ijeomabalogun

1. lande

August 20, 2011 at 10:18 am

why does this girl always use dodgy photographers…

2. Halima Garba

August 20, 2011 at 10:25 am

Lovely Collection.

• DeeMaria

August 21, 2011 at 3:26 pm

You don place ya order?

• topeo

August 22, 2011 at 11:41 am

Wana’s friend much?

3. chibuki

August 20, 2011 at 10:47 am

First? 😀 nice 1 wana. Love d black dress with gold embelishments in front! Ffab! Gmore grease to ur elbows

4. miss B

August 20, 2011 at 11:33 am

this wana sambo can make very horrible clothes and this is not high street………BN pls post my comment

5. samsie

August 20, 2011 at 11:45 am

I wouldn wear any of those cos I don’t like the finishing

6. samsie

August 20, 2011 at 11:46 am

Between the fabric,undergarments and choice of hemline finishings something went wrong

• wuggy

August 20, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Hey girl!

7. segzy

August 20, 2011 at 11:50 am

the designer has stepped up her game!! nice colllection!! oh, its a high street brand. NOTED!

8. cathy

August 20, 2011 at 12:01 pm

really love her collections

9. Nma

August 20, 2011 at 1:52 pm

LOVE!!!

10. jane

August 20, 2011 at 2:04 pm

please post my comment the collection is horrible and they r badly made no attention to detail being a designer is not skecthing only the clothes shld be made well . she alone can wear this

11. na so

August 20, 2011 at 2:16 pm

high wetin? i dont know why but when i see her designs i immediately think jill sanders but a bad replica. anyways am not one to hate. congrats wana sambo

12. kreamy

August 20, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Nice collection.

13. ejogene

August 20, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I love the last gown beautiful, will totally rock it.

14. Mademoiselle

August 20, 2011 at 5:12 pm

A couple of lovely pieces that I see myself rocking, however, the finishing is kinda rough… As for the MODEL, why she gotta have stank face on??? *americanaccent*

• Tiki

August 20, 2011 at 10:39 pm

And what are her legs DOING in the fourth pic?

15. Truth be told

August 20, 2011 at 6:36 pm

nice collections but some of the finishings are a no no. btw, why does that model’s face look like she’s been forced? her attitude or look just killed the whole thing for me

16. El Bee

August 20, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Love the red shoes in the 5th pic!!…oh my bad, we’re talking about the dresses, errrmmmm…

17. Mary007

August 20, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Like the intro

18. LayoR

August 20, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Really lovely designs…:)

19. mh

August 20, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Nut bad … But finishing looks tacky

20. Pooks

August 20, 2011 at 9:54 pm

thank you ooo…my thoughts was..”heck!!that last piece is Primark’s new collection”…it is al over here now and about 5 girls wore this at the recent “party in the park”….so no ingenious designs here…all made before! She could have atleast tweaked it abit mate!!

21. Onyx

August 20, 2011 at 10:05 pm

No. Not unless this is the blue-print for the actual properly-made clothes that she plans to bring out in her fall collection and therefore previewing the general direction she’ll be going in…
    Otherwise, no.

22. adeola

August 21, 2011 at 3:29 am

Honestly,am so impressed.

23. T.Y

August 21, 2011 at 5:07 am

FIERCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! The model could use a lil smile or something lol

24. Akande

August 21, 2011 at 9:48 am

I’m amazed by some of these comments. Even if u have a nonconforming comment, be constructive in your critique give reasons why you dont like certain pieces don’t be rude and shallow just cause ur comments can be posted. The pieces are lovely and I’ve followed her designs for a while and sampled opinions and it’s been favourable. The dresses are chic and high fashion. Well done and good luck

• seun

August 27, 2011 at 12:05 am

SOME of the dresses are chic, MANY have very poor finishing. While trying to be honest and give constructive criticism, let us also remember we owe honest feedback to the designer. She needs to be told that some of the dresses appear tacky. And even if she was a personal friend and I had been following her progress, I’d still politely tell her. High street? I wouldn’t buy many of those pieces!

25. looters

August 21, 2011 at 11:02 am

its a nice collection. something i could wear everyday. but the model is a complete bore and the photography is a complete mess.

26. ihy

August 21, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Congrats Wana but you really have to follow your designs beyond sketching. The material looks cheap, the tailoring is poorly done and the photography is less than par. the only exciting thing about this post was the write-up.

27. Chichi

August 21, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Why do the ankara shorts look like jogging togs and the blue skirt, I have a green and a blue Zara shirt exactly like that!

28. Chichi

August 21, 2011 at 1:26 pm

skirt

29. jamila

August 21, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Please, this roughly-hewn, poorly finished, badly photographed collection is certainly not high street. It’s same old, same old ubuquitous stuff I could pick up in any shopping mall from Ontario to El Paso, or in of the stores that litter Canal Street in NYC. Nothing stands out. Overall, with all the tailors and seamstresses posing as designers, there’s entirely too much self-congratulation and false cheering going on. The buzzwords are flying all over the place – collections with names meant to evoke GodKnowsWhat, lookbooks that disappoint, debuts or collections attached to seasons that don’t exist in our climes. There are some truly marvelous designers with a look that’s theirs and mastery of the technical…this is not one of them.

30. molly

August 21, 2011 at 10:59 pm

If u guyz had read the write-up, u would’ve seen that the model was supposed to be in “a state of confusion/dissatisfaction” hence the unfriendly or “stank” (lol) look. Asides from that, the finishing could actually be better. Like the last skirt tho.
    BN PLEASE POST MY COMMENT O. Thank u.

31. desire

August 22, 2011 at 8:05 am

ummm…as haute couture as this was meant to be,i see a lot of tackiness in the finishing, puffy hem lines ans all.she has a lot to improve on, i also see the same fabric(raw silk ) everywhere.

32. Knight

August 22, 2011 at 9:14 am

Am not feeling it at all….dis designer should look more inwards and work on her finishing….i hope ur moderators will let my comments fly cos u really need truthful comments…

33. faith

August 22, 2011 at 9:23 am

i cant wear any of those….not my kind of cloths…they r okay shaaa…

34. mamav

August 22, 2011 at 10:35 am

I like them all

35. Missy

August 22, 2011 at 10:58 am

well….trying very hard to be constructive as someone advised but gaskiya why would she show poorly tailored clothes…take a look at the 2nd outfit…haba….well….i really dont like…

36. Bims

August 22, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Bella naija, please this is not high street. You should really vet the stuff people send you. I mean you are representing for the whole of Africa. You need to get it right.
    Wana, my advice to you is to go and apprentice under a designer. It looks like you have potential but you are not quite there yet. Truth be told this collection is not that good. But keep going, theres something there.

37. Aibee

August 22, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Lookbook for real! Looking is all I’m definitely going to be doing. Nothing worth spending on in this ‘high street’ collection.

38. http://diaryofsnw.blogspot.com/

August 22, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Wrong model. they are great for plus size women

39. Abby

August 22, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Great opening. I must also say, the finishing could be done alot better than it appears…

40. amischa

August 22, 2011 at 4:26 pm

N is for nice

41. ngwa road

August 22, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Wetin be this?

42. aosgrl

August 22, 2011 at 6:12 pm

You guys do realize that high street means trendy clothing that is mass produced for regular folk. this isn’t mean’t to be Alexander Mcqueen or Riccardo Tisci for Givenchy. Comeon! I like it. Its uber trendy for young girls in their late teens to early twenties. From a presentation perspective something has to be done about the hemlines and areas where the clothes are stitched together, you sometimes see these areas bubbly up and not laying flat. Like it was sewn and ironed in a hurry. Other than that it remains to be seen if the pricepoints truly reflect the high street nature of the line.

43. reply

August 22, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Love the collection! a step up from some lookbooks i have seen. Constructive criticism is all that is needed people. There is talent here.

44. AJCiti

August 22, 2011 at 7:37 pm

In my opinion the collection was just ok. A lot of the pieces looked kind of cheap & lack luster. I feel like I could find similar pieces at H&M, Forever 21 or Zara. The quality of the photos was also not that great.

45. Mide Coker

August 22, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Beautiful Collection. Saw the clothes when she showcased at vivendi.
    The clothes are perfect for like a summer vacation somewhere amazing.
    not your average everyday clothes.
    The white dress with the black bow behind it is my favorite.

46. valentyn blacksmith

August 22, 2011 at 11:21 pm

wanna o wanna…..lets be honest…this is what i will call the unfinished collection….. you should have taken your time to focus on the finishing . the puckering is just unacceptable n distasteful.the pieces look like grandmas happy sewing at home. you sure cun do better next time….

47. Teenu

August 23, 2011 at 12:15 am

Yea d finishing was kinda poor, az for d model dat was d instruction given to er. FYI she’s my gud friend. D fault iz frm d designer.”………blame it un WS. Bn pls post my comment”

48. fokasibe

August 23, 2011 at 9:03 am

M for mediocre….I’m sorry, I think this is farrrr from good and no beef or ‘hating’ is intended. There are no excuses for a poor showing such as this and I think when you put yourself up here, you should be ready for any kind of criticism, constructive or not.. I will compare this with the breath of fresh air from Tiffany Amber I saw last week here on bella naija
    and seeing that we are expected to pay “high street” prices for these I would say a big NO! The finishing is poor, the attention to detail is so not there! Wana Sambo’s collection is far from Hhigh street and people should stop deceiving her…
    BN I will also advise that you please try to sieve through what you get and aptly title your posts…..they could be very misleading…

49. lola

August 23, 2011 at 10:51 am

I wonder if the collection looks better live? Just as a few have said it needs a little extra finishing. I’m sure WS has her faithful/loyal customers. She should invest in good make up artists and photographers. Even if she can’t afford the top shots in the industry, there are a lot of up and commers who do great work. I ain’t hating on this sister’s hustle tho’. GET IT GIRL!

50. :)

August 23, 2011 at 11:00 am

I don’t buy things my tailor can sew unless I’m buying at my tailor’s price. After seeing Tiffany Amber’s collection, this collection looks even worse that it would if I hadn’t. Sorry, not being mean, just being real.

51. lol

August 23, 2011 at 2:02 pm

BN pls post my comment, I saw this collection on another site and was wondering if it would make it to BN cos my thots were exactly what I was reading. And what makes BN commentators BN commentators is the honest criticism, I believe that is why designers showcase here to get a feel for what people might feel.

I have followed WS’s collection before and I thought it was overhyped in my opinion, my sincere advice is similar to one commentator earlier saying either she goes as an apprentice under a well established designer or go back to the drawing board and look at her finishing, all this is in good taste, she has the talent, and in her interest its better to harness it.
    We saw the comments that flew last week with TANs collection and thats not the first time TAN will feature on BN but almost everyone applauded that collection. Its not about hating but the truth, this collection doesnt sit right, harness your talent and bring out something marvellous. You can do it common WANA….:-)

52. princess onyeukwu

August 23, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Fabuiousity, nice outfit.

53. Mari009

August 24, 2011 at 12:34 am

I dont think the clothes are as bad as people are saying.All what the dessigner needs is more creative thinking.

54. Zarrah

August 24, 2011 at 8:32 pm

WANA SAMBO are you really a designer?please this is good constructive critiscm so sip it like a cocktail.
    1 This collection is not fit to be shown yet,very tacky,poor finishing

55. Trendy

August 25, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Lovely collection especially the blue one……………wish i could have it

56. bebe

August 26, 2011 at 1:06 am

this is not high street 4 heaven’s sake!!!!they are neither affordable nor easily available for purchase!haba,so called designers,can u like do ur homework before nything!and these r stuff we can wear to church,wedding,party,not ‘everyday’…puhleez!

57. lopez

January 7, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Very poor tailoring haba….especially the 2nd piece. I’m not a tailor and I’ve never been through any sewing training other than watching youtube videos but I can make that same dress and make it look neater