News

#OccupyNigeria – The London Rally – Watch the Video Here

Nigerians all around the world are joining the #OccupyNigeria movement. The #OccupyNigeria UK rally took place earlier today in Charing Cross London.

The government of Nigeria should remember who they are serving. The recent removal of the fuel subsidy without corresponding improvement in the quality of living in Nigeria – electricity, healthcare etc… is unacceptable.

Workers is in Nigeria are scheduled to go on strike on Monday 9th January 2012. However, on Friday 6th January 2012, the National Industrial Court Friday restrained the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) from embarking on its planned nationwide strike scheduled for midnight Sunday.

The ruling of the court followed an ex-parte appeal filed by the federal government through the Office of the Attorney General of the federation seeking to block the unions from proceeding on an indefinite strike following the federal government’s sudden removal of subsidy on petroleum products. President of the Court Mr. Babatunde Adejumo gave the ruling.
Read More via The Will Nigeria

So what’s next? Will the strike take place on Monday? Will the government listen to the people’s call.

In case you missed it, here is video from the #OccupyNigeria Lagos Rally

Photo Credit: Sahara Reporters

1. Asake

January 7, 2012 at 2:27 am

Wow!I feel so sad and can hardly stop the tears.. a country so blessed and yet so cursed !!! Enough is enough indeed ! #proudlynigerian

2. mula

January 7, 2012 at 2:55 am

WOW!!! this is just tooo sad,it breaks my heart to see this happening 🙁

3. blogtroll

January 7, 2012 at 3:42 am

Good to c u blog about relevant issues.

4. Chi

January 7, 2012 at 3:48 am

Meanwhile -no one wants to protest against the killing of innocent Igbo’s. it’s not like they want anything, only to live quietly and serve Jesus Christ. That is all.

• mee

January 7, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Nigerians, most NIGERIANS are selfish, if it isn’t directly affecting them, they dont care.

• thetruth

January 8, 2012 at 9:51 pm

That is so true. I thought about that too on how selfish of a people we are. Its really sad.

• bukioni

January 10, 2012 at 10:14 pm

There are many Nigerians actively protesting for justice for victims of recent violence against Christians in Nigeria through organisations such as Christian Solidarity Worldwide (CSW) and Open Doors. They organisations serve persecuted Christians across the globe by using media outlets to raise awareness of their campaigns as well as lobbing governments to influence decision makers. And as these are Christian organisations they also have prayer diaries and periods of fasting as well. So please don’t think no-one cares this because many of us do. I strongly believe that all Christians are part of a worldwide family – we are all brothers and sisters irrespective of our racial and ethnic differences.

5. Babe

January 7, 2012 at 4:04 am

this is so sad, I wonder what these leaders r actually thinking. Fuel is even cheaper in America that is not an oil producing country. nothing to write home about.

• mee

January 7, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Are YOU ASLEEP?! How can you be comparing NIGERIA with AMERICA???
      Americans painfully pay their taxes even for mere coffee, even the poorest families pays federal & state tax ! Americans give almost 1/3 of their income to government for tax, how can you logically compare that??
      Nigerians don’t pay no federal & state taxes !
      The US government provides all the resources , amenities & better economy mostly with the tax revenue.

• Na

January 7, 2012 at 10:02 pm

check ur facts… the poor civil servants in 9jeria are forced to pay tax. the rich in govt and business avoid tax payment.
      so if the common civil servant is forced to pay tax, then they should enjoy fuel subsidy #WeStandForTheSameThingTho 🙂

• mee

January 8, 2012 at 2:30 am

@ Na:
      I know my facts properly cause I have worked in both countries before, when I worked in Lagos my entire salary was paid to me, not a kobo short ! Nigerians don’t pay no Federal & State tax, heck, they don’t even have a national ID number, so how can they expect so much when they give nothing/little back to the government , the national revenue doesn’t fall from the skies in the western countries.

As much as I don’t trust the Nigerian government, I think GEJ made a good decision, this removal have been argued for more than two decades now, he was the only brave president to take a stand !

• mybi

January 8, 2012 at 11:48 pm

preach! I concur..

I do not agree with the fuel subsudy being removed but comparing Nigeria to longgggggggg well developed countries just makes it more depressing.

dress it up, make it cute, we are just not there yet!!
      The Nigeria govt is not ready to make the sacrifice of a simple lifestyle like the leaders of “some” of the developed countries for the sake of its poorest and most vulnerable.

sad story

• gbeborun

January 9, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Why you have choosen to compare America with Nigeria is beyond me, it just doesn’t make any sense,Nigeria is a third world country, nigerians are not asking for too much just basic amenities then u can start talking about taxes, because i have no doubt in my mind that every tax paid in that country ends in someone’s pocket

6. rogotigi

January 7, 2012 at 4:12 am

I dnt seem to know much about policies and the likes in Nigeria but I knw Nigeria is in a very bad state! Deep down, I believe things wud change for the better…it might cost lives etc bt God wud turn around the situation of Nigerians.
    Nigerians in and out of the country need to go on their knees and pray for Nigeria. Only God has the key to unlock the chains we are bound with.

• prism of an immigrant

January 7, 2012 at 6:49 am

I’m sorry, but prayer will not build roads and schools. Prayers will not improve our broken health care system. It will not make the 70 percent living on less than a dollar a day to suddenly have comfortable lifestyles. Neither will it make power supply constant. Good leadership coupled with effective policies and cooperating citizens will do all of the above. Let us stop praying and start doing.

7. JayE

January 7, 2012 at 4:45 am

🙁

8. Ella

January 7, 2012 at 7:44 am

It is a shame for a country so blessed. Removal of fuel subsidy in a country where nothing works?Why did he send Iweala and Allyson on compulsory vacation?We are tired of playing the fool!It is time Nigerians,let’s fight for our right.

9. jaybee

January 7, 2012 at 9:07 am

we are tired,we re frustrated ,i cant stop crying,what they re doing to us is unfair,
    Children of the rich act like der’s no tomorrow,oppressing us,and when i mean rich,i dnt mean ppl that worked hard for their money,but wards of corrupt politicians,almighty ll judge them all in jesus name

10. CEEJAY

January 7, 2012 at 9:08 am

u know nothing..Johnattan regime is been frustrated by the northerners said BOKO HARAM..DO UR RESEARCH WELL SPOKES MAN..CMON!!!

11. Temiloluwa

January 7, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I’m really sad. This is all so painful. The UN is busily congratulating Jonathan for taking a ‘bold and good step’. They seem to be feigning ignorance of the corruption that eats into the core of the Nation. If what they are doing is perfectly fine, why threaten the media and warn them not to talk about it? Radio stations are being told to cut off any commenters. N1 Billion for food annually, N300 Million for gardening expenses, proposed $500 Million for a bullet proof private jet… If we remove the subsidies in the lives of govt officials, we’ll be able to build our refineries! Before you ask me to make any sacrifices, kindly show me the ones you’re currently making.

12. temi

January 7, 2012 at 2:18 pm

my pastor use to say ‘THERE IS NOTHING LIKE SOMEONE HAVING GOOD LUCK ,BUT ONLY GODS BLESSINGS’ NOW I TRUELY BELEIVE.JONATHAN GOODLUCK IS FROM THE DEVIL WITH NO HEART. THOSE OF U DAT U NAME UR CHILD GOODLUK IS BETER U CHANGE IT TO BLESSING.

13. bev

January 7, 2012 at 6:09 pm

This is not about them killing Igbos’ that are Christians, after all Yorubas’ are Christians as well; GEJ is a puppet and foolish man. No tribal affiliations anymore, one 9ja regardless of who you are. BOKO HARAM group is just a mask to the real underlying problems in 9ja, which is CORRUPTION AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL which is leading to all sorts of problem such as joblessness, poverty. Once corruption is out of the way, POVERTY be out of the way as well

14. Tunde

January 7, 2012 at 8:45 pm

The removal of the subsidy at this time is plain WRONG. The main concern I have as we fight this is that these Islamists do not capitalize on the unrest to grip our country.
    As the days pass, I am becoming more aware of the (covert) involvement of muslims with very very extreme views in these protests. These people do not have the same agenda most of us who are against the removal of the subsidy.
    They really want to destabilize things and get GEJ out of office so that they can seize power and unleash the imaginable….unfortunately GEJ is simply playing into their hands!
    Only God can solve this problem we are faced with

15. Olanna

January 7, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thanks BN. I must apologise for I ‘accused’ of not being balanced but giving a voice to the protest shows that you are balanced. I was at the protest in London and for the first time in a long time I was proud to be Nigerian. I met really intelligent people who came from all over the UK. We are not opposed to fuel subsidy removal (if there is indeed a subsidy) but please we are tired of the waste that is the Nigerian FG and in NASS. Don’t ask us to tighten our belts when you are so fat you can’t even wear a belt.

• mee

January 8, 2012 at 2:39 am

@ Na:

There is a 25% decrease in salary for all executive government staffs effective this 2012.

• emi

January 8, 2012 at 6:30 am

@ meee i curently work in Lagos Nigeria in the private sector and i pay tax. a good 98% of Nigerian workers (both corporate and public service )pay taxes from our salaries. Those who work in telecoms and oil and gas pay even more taxes on their salaries. I have been working in the private sector for the past six years and i have paid my taxes every month.

• emi

January 8, 2012 at 6:41 am

people like you who jump on your soap box from “the abroad” to talk about nigerians in such disparaging ways piss me off. Nigerian pay taxes full stop. including businesses. those traders and market women pay levies to local governments on a daily , weekly and monthly basis this shows that businesses are willing to pay if government puts in place proper payment structures.
      If the government in your “the abroad” did not put proper payment structures in place would you have been able to pay the so called tax? If by now you still do not understand the reason for occupy Nigeria then you most likely never will. It’s not about giving back to government its about reducing the cost of governance. 25% of their basic is nothing . Its all about the allowances.. Nigeria is among the 10 largest producers of crude and yet we import PMS. That fact is just one of many reasons for occupy Nigeria. Kindly stop comparing apples to oranges

• mee

January 8, 2012 at 4:27 pm

@Emi, I am speaking from what I’ve seen, I worked in Lagos in 2007, never paid any tax, i know businesses & companies paid taxes but not individuals. I never heard a Nigerian filing for a tax return.

This 25% might not be good enough but that is a great start, no past leader ever did that nor listened to the masses like GEJ is doing, if this were the fearful days of Abacha & IBB who would’ve dared sneeze !

• mee

January 8, 2012 at 2:41 am

disregard earlier comment 🙂

• missy

January 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Please keep your mouth shut! so because he offered to cut the salary by 25% we should start jumping, do you know how much he earns? 25% is just chicken change! no government official has the sole right to earn such large amount of money while majority live on $2 per day.

16. Cynthia Fayomi

January 7, 2012 at 10:07 pm

17. funto

January 8, 2012 at 1:47 pm

@ mee
    I dont know where you worked in Nigeria or what century that was………………….your facts about taxes are screwed.

I currently work in Lagos Nigeria and I pay tax which is about 25percent of my salary EVERY month.
    Pray tell me what the governement does with those taxes. The roads are death traps, you cant even adequately capture statistics of road accidents yearly, schools are DEAD, quality healthcare is non existent, where it exists is strictly for the SUPER rich.
    Yet we pay tolls to move about on federal roads, pay to park EVERYWHERE you go in Lagos!!!
    Come off it!!!!!!!! ENOUGH is ENOUGH!!!!!!
    We have a corrupt government who have no concrete plans for the savings from the removal of the subsidy.The money will end up in some gluttons pockets again!!!!!
    This is a just fight…
    People are suffering, wake up and smell the coffee, my dear!!!!!
    A whole family of four living on 18,000 naira a month and 1 litre of fuel is N141!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What the hell is a 25% paycut goin to do, when they all earn hundreds of millions anyway!!!!!!!
    PSSSSSSSCCCCCCCCHHHHHEEEEEEEWWWWWW

There needs to be a CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OccupyNigeria

• emi

January 9, 2012 at 1:55 am

@ funto thanks o jare

18. Jay

January 8, 2012 at 7:58 pm

@Mee, I agree with you ma sista. The Nigeria Govt has no way of taking taxes out of working Nigerians to pay for the improvement and maintenance of aging infrastructure (not that I trust the greedy pot bellied officials to make good use of it) and paying subsidy on top this is over the top. The only thing that, that poor country needs is a good organized governmental system, a way of tracking people, projects, contracts, infrastructure, etc. there is no strong method for such thing in place in Nigeria. The country is a big bag of mess and cacophony. I am wondering how they will be able to pull of this new plan of a cashless society when everyone carries money on Ghana-must-go bags and “polytene” multicolored bags, nawa 4 dat contri ojare. Besides, wetin consan Jandites with 9ja fuel subsidy in London? If they want to help they should go back to 9ja and contribute their own quota, and not stay in another man’s land and be making empty noises.

19. NNENNE

January 8, 2012 at 11:38 pm

@emi… Take it from me nobody in Nigeria pays taxes as they earn.If you have lived and worked in the so called developed country, you wiil understand that the only thing they have that we don’t have is Managemant and RULE of Law.

Emi, how many people pay taxes on lottery money or car, gifts, alimony, empty land, dead millionaire’s estate , village, town, city, state, federal, schoool, commodities etc. Who assesses new homes in Nigeria and make the owners pay taxes according to the value-lot size, quality of materials used in building it, number of rooms)? As for public servants who are paying taxes, how much do they pay? How many people pay at the toll gates and how much of that money gets to the government purse? How many people who are self employed pay taxes in Nigeria not to talk of paying as they are making? Water, gas and electricity bills are not even included. Yes, there is light 24/7, but it is payed for. If you do not pay these taxes on time, they will acrue intrest.No one is exempted.
    I heard people talking about social security. Get your facts right, my people. People pay up front, while they are still working, for their social security except those on public assistance.How much an individual pays depends on how much they make and they collect as much as they payed in.
    There is no free lunch in this world. In Nigeria, we need organization, patroitism and execution of rule of law… go after greedy looters regardless of who they are.
    Jonathan or no Jonathan, Nigeria will not change unless we do things right. The leaders and the masses, we all have a role to play.It is now or never!

• emi

January 9, 2012 at 2:00 am

@NNenne abeg go sidon i work in a private yep you heard right private organization and i pay tax. My mum used to own a shop and she paid all government levies. You either pay or your shop is locked up. Like i said earlier its all about the structures which government puts in place period. Of course there is no free lunch in this world but abeg 3M is wayyyyyyyyyyy too much for a country to have to pay its number one citizen per day for lunch. Go to the local markets and ask them just how much government levies they pay and you will be suprised…..oh but you can’t you’re in “the abroad’… i rest my case

20. QQ

January 9, 2012 at 2:03 am

Nnenna, God bless you! You have said it all. Occupy Nigeria right? No wahala but start with yourselves first. I bet most of these so-called occupy Nigeria youths payed their way into the VC’s list to get into Uni or even bribed JAMB officials for Admission. Some bribed NYSC officials to post them to their desired states because they didn”t want to leave home and their previlages behind and serve their Nation.. Please Nigerians we have to with immediate effect remove the logs in our eyes so we can see clearly to carry our loads and occupy Nigeria if not the French revolution will have nothing on us.

21. Baby Dee

January 9, 2012 at 4:06 pm

@ Mee, Jay & NNenne,

I’ve live in the United States for more than 1 decade. I also did my youth service in 2007 and worked afterwards in Nigeria until 2009. I paid Taxes. The were removed automatically from my paycheck. Some of my friends who work in Banks in Nigeria pay taxes themselves every month. You are required to. Some people get away with it because the hands of the law has not caught up with them. But believe me, taxes are in place. Nigeria does not however do tax refunds. Stores in Nigeria do not itemize how much you pay for an item like its done here in the U.S where you buy something for $5.99 and pay 6% taxes as documented on your receipt. Nigeria however displays the overall cost of the item. Believe me when taxes have been included. Anyways, you all need to do your homework properly…

22. mee

January 10, 2012 at 1:14 am

Pls everyone in NIGERIA SHOULD BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHILE PROTESTING OR STAY INDOORS, the trigger- sensitized policemen are roaming around stealing lives, they killed a youth who was playing football on the empty streets !

23. NNENNE

January 10, 2012 at 5:40 am

@emi, and Baby Dee…
    Pay roll taxes and sales taxes are not the only taxes ordinary citizens pay in the US. Sales taxes is not 6% everywhere. In some states it is 8% or more. Regular citizens pay payroll taxes in Nigeri but most people falsify how much they pay through their accountants. I don’t know how many Nigerians, especially the rich ones who have been jailed for not paying as they earned or not paying at all. If the government even try it, they will bribe their way out. There are some other taxes that we are talking about here, outside sales and payroll taxes.
    Emi, how much do your parents pay for that large house,compound and the lands you have in your village? How much do you pay for the primary and secondary school in your area? (just examples).

No one is suggesting that Nigerians should start paying as mush tax as the west.Every place is unique and should do what works for them.Right now we don’t have the system to really tract people down. There is no national ID, for instance.
    Recall that this arguement came about because some Nigerians were comparing themselves with Americans without really knowing how their system works.
    Our system will work if managed well.
    The cell phone companies in Nigeria that are privately owned and operated are typical examples.They are all doing well.People pay for their services. Goodbye!!

24. obi-talk

January 11, 2012 at 3:14 am

Everyone is here arguing about tax and not… I just looked at a popular site that had countries and taxes that their citizens pay and Nigeria is not even on it! You would think that such a popular issue would be easy to get info about but I guess not!

we have such a long way.

25. http://dakkylove.blogspot.com/

January 13, 2012 at 4:02 pm

The focus of this post wa son the #OccupyNigeria movement how did we switch to taxes….This Government is a mess when it comes to security matters, Innocent people are dying in the North for no just cause, is the Government saying they are no longer capable of protecting their citizens in Northern Nigeria ????such a shame

26. Joy

January 16, 2012 at 4:37 am

Taxes in Nigeria? Nigerian government is a screwed up one, I doubt it. And maybe some companies try to follow it but not the whole Nigerian government. I asked my uncle who work in the system, he said, he doesn’t pay taxes. You know what, I don’t even know which is better because if you require every working nigerian to pay taxes, the government will have to be held accountable to use it for the right cause not just embezzle it again. So, maybe it’s a good thing for now until the government get their act together.