News

Subsidize Me

Yesterday, my friend got pulled over by the police for having tinted windows. As she negotiated the appropriate bribe to pay the police for her ‘crime’, a convoy of Land Rovers with government licence plates followed closely by police vans whizzed by in jet like speed, all with tinted windows. My friend ‘paid’ for her crime, entered her car and continued with her journey.

There has been so much said about the fuel subsidy crisis. The truth is the economic reasons for the fuel subsidy removal are cogent. The government cannot continue to fund the inadequacies and efficiencies present in the current system. The removal of fuel subsidy will allow for scarce resources to be mainstreamed into the provision of desperately needed infrastructure. It will open up the market and create confidence for investors, which will drive competition within the market, creating various benefits for the masses. The economic principles which anchor these arguments are clear.

However, as with all principles one has to be sensitive to the context in which they are applied. When I was younger, my father and I would drive to the petrol station closest to our house, in his blue arch back Toyota. After filling his tank he would pay the fuel attendant with a Twenty Naira note, and the attendant would give him Ten Naira change. My father would then give me this change to buy a packet of Twix, which cost Five Naira, from the petrol station mart.

The first time I remember the subsidy being removed, my dad no longer filled his tank with Ten Naira and a packet of Twix cost four times more. The same arguments being given now, for the subsidy removal were the same given then. Yet, no new roads have been built, our health care system is in shambles, our education system is defunct and our power system is non existent.

Nevertheless, Nigerians have remained resilient. We have paid up at the petrol stations, watched our government offer empty promises and provided our basic amenities ourselves. We buy imported generators, send our children abroad to school, ship millions of naira to foreign countries for our health care needs and even pay exorbitant tolls for the new roads built. We have found ways to suffer and smile while our government enriched themselves from the resources that were meant for the common good. With each decision made, they have used our common wealth to subsidise their own life styles while the common Nigerian has been left to fend for themselves. We grumbled but did nothing.

Then they offered us the olive branch of democracy. Free and fair elections, transparent systems for the electorate to chose a government for the people and by the people. We grasped it with every limb. But even that was fraught with difficulties. The lives of innocent youth corpers were mortgaged as casualties of democracy. Innocent because they were serving their country, and yet till this day their deaths remained unattoned for. But we in the south did not ‘occupy’ the north. We made angry statements on twitter and shouted with loud words in various articles but did nothing and our government did even less.

Then came Boko Haram. A menace sure to unleash the wrath of the Nigerian government. After all, has the Nigerian army not been deployed to various war torn African countries? Was our army not instrumental in peace keeping missions in Liberia? But our government offered insensitive comments instead, and preferred to watch the lifeless bodies of Christians pile up on the streets of northern Nigeria, while they chased the naked shadows of homosexuals. But maybe that is being unfair, after all they did allocate a significant portion of the 2012 budget to security. An estimated 922 Billion Naira, yet we do not have any detailed plans on exactly how this money will be spent. We have no security systems in place to avert the threats of Boko Haram, only the ‘stop and search’ tactics offered at various police check points. If a significant portion of this allocated security budget will be spent on more police check points with skinny men in black uniforms armed with flashlights, and celoptaped riffles is anyone’s guess. Still Nigerians remained silent. We grumbled loudly, but made no attempts at ‘occupation’ to make our voices heard.

We had barely recovered from the Boko Haram Christmas Day bombings when our government gave us an explosion of their own. Over a hundred percent increase in the price of fuel, a resource which is intricately linked to the fabric of every Nigerians daily life. The petrol stations responded with swift action, almost like they had been poised at the pumps, waiting for this very announcement. Our grumblings got louder. We calculated the costs of our livelihoods and compared it with the exorbitant budget allocated to maintain our government’s lifestyle. Refurbishments to the presidential villa, purchase of brand new bullet proof vehicles and new crockery for the lavish state dinners, and the almost 1 Billion Naira allocated to feed the President and Vice President, while we the populace are left insecure, unable to fend for ourselves and our families hungry.

So who can blame us for refusing to listen to these so called economic arguments which support the subsidy removal when most Nigerians are facing issues which far outweigh their merits. Mothers have buried their children, innocent lives have been lost, and the blood of fellow Nigerians in the north continues to be spilt. The issue here is not that we are unreasonable, or that we do not understand market principles. Rather it is that our resilience has been shattered in the face of much apathy from our leaders. We have taken too much for too long and our government has taken us for granted. They have asked us to trust them when they have done nothing to deserve that trust. They have done nothing to protect us, nothing to gain our confidence, nothing to ease our suffering but have done everything to ensure that their own lifestyles remain subsidized. This is the issue, and until an economic principle can be created to solve this, one wonders if there can be any tangible merit to the fuel subsidy removal?

Glory is the host and executive producer of Inspire Series, the web talk show which uses the collective stories of everyday women to inspire others. She believes women are https://www.canadianmeds4u.com/category/buy-antibiotics-online/ more than hand bags, hair, make-up and other externalities and is passionate about about pursuing purpose and living above societal conformities. She is also a day dreamer, and romantic at heart who loves TV, food and family. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @inspiredbyglory and read more from her on www.inspiredbyglory.com

1. olaide suleiman

January 9, 2012 at 2:24 pm

yes….its nt like we dont know subsidy is gud for us…but the government cant be trusted…they kip failing us and we giving themno more chances. yayh…first time commenting on bn page and am first lol

2. Elle

January 9, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Glory, great article and well thought out. However, as with all BN’s socially relevant articles, it comes too late. I understand if you want to be a society webzine showing all that is flashy about Nigeria, then stick to that.
    The subsidy was removed, 9 days ago. This article should have been written about then, not after the Nigerians have been mobilized and are occupying Nigeria as we write.
    Too little, too late. Sorry.

• partyrider

January 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm

As long as the protests continue,as long as the Nigerian masses continue to suffer(esp from this decision),this article is not late..
      i am disappointed that this is all you had to say after reading it,thats if you even read it..

• tokunbo

January 9, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I agree with you elle. I know bella naija has a right to determine what she would put on her blog but I have been coming to bellan naija’s website for these few days when the subsidy trouble started and I could not really find any meaningful article on the fuel subsidy removal which other blogs like Linda ikeji and websites like sahara reporters and nairaland have been reporting on daily. It would benefit you as well as your readers if they know what is happening in Nigeria through your blog . in the protest this morning 3 were killed in yaba lagos and the internet was flooded with the story which has made gov fashola ordered for the arrest of the policemen and the policeman has been arrested. Believe it or not it is all by internet and telcom power…..if the pictures were not taken then we would not have know and if not posted on the internet such as blogs or websites then there would not have been any arrest as I presume that fashola must have seen it on the internet himself before taking that very quick action which I commend him for.

So bella naija please publish stories that are available and that affect the wellbeing of Nigerians and not only celebrity stories like other websites does as Nigeria is currently shut down so that we can see what is happening and never underestimate the power of the internet. The article was well written well done for this my 2 pence contribution.

• right

January 9, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Bella Naija will only publish adverts at N250K, if you like dont publish my comment, you lot belongs to the same category, just as the msg on the poster says hanging around the woman, one day naa one day

• truthbehold

January 9, 2012 at 6:01 pm

What a – Elle! This article is even more relevant now than ever. Why do you guys let your need to argue blind you?

• Mafia

January 9, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Uhm… one question Elle…
      Where’s YOUR article? Please point me to it, so that I may read what brilliantly insightful analysis you have done, and post much deserved (if any) lauding comments.
      Instead of posting such scathing remarks, just complement the effort given and leave it at that. You’ve commented that you “understand” what Bella Naija’s concept is; however I doubt that you do. If this site is only a social webzine per your view, then you should be ecstatic that it is posting an article of socioeconomic relevance (Not that this is their first try at it… but then I am sure that your definition of what an article of said relevance is, varies greatly from mine). The article may be 9 days too late; but better late, than never.
      I come to this site for the entertainment, so to occasionally have the reality of what is going on in Nigeria brought to fore is priceless. The article may be 9 days too late for you, but I am sure other newsworthy sites have been constantly covering many different angles; if you wanted immediate, in-depth coverage on the socioeconomic impact, you should go there instead.

Glory,
      Thanks for the article. BBC keeps posting that the IMF is in favor of the subsidy removal, and as an outsider, I couldn’t see why people were against it. Your article has highlighted why. Now my only question is What happened to the refinery that was supposedly being built by China?

• Elle

January 10, 2012 at 1:57 am

Guess, what? I don’t need to have an article to give my opinion. And I really shouldn’t be responding to your comment because I have made my point and if you are too simple to get it, too bad.
      There are many examples of issues that have arisen in recent times in Nigeria and BN jumps on the bandwagon eons after. The rape of the girl at ABSU is a good example. BN didn’t say anything about it till it was already over flogged. As great as Glory’s analysis is; there is nothing new about it. I can give you references of articles written a week ago that say exactly the same thing.
      And why is this an issue? Because if you want to be a force to reckon with; you need to take the lead in advocating your views. In this respect, BN is a follower and not a leader when it comes to socially relevant issues. It’s not such a bad thing, really.. its a matter of choice. But putting up a post which discusses a relatively stale issue after the fact makes it even more obvious that you are not responsive enough. I won’t run to BN for anything except fashion or entertainment as it is. If that is the goal of BN, that’s great and works well for me.
      If you can’t take constructive criticism; you are will never improve.

• Doesn't matter

January 10, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I read this at  3am CST and couldn’t sleep the rest of the night so even though I have never commented I had to come back and comment. Before I address the haters and professional empty drums, Glory you couldn’t have said it better but let me add that your friend is also part of Nigeria’s problem. The law is the law and by not obeying the law and consequently paying herself out is unacceptable. Govt officials are allowed to have tinted windows for security reasons but of course they don’t deserve it in this country.  A govt is a reflection of it pple. Politicians  are corrupt because Nigerians are corrupt. Everyone wants law in Nigeria, but only when it fits their purpose. I wonder what a politicians son or daughter will have to say in response to this.
      At Elle, pple like you are the root of Nigeria’s problem.Why are you more focused on the timeliness of the issue and not it’s content. Nigerians like to talk without action, comment and make their voices heard on issues that are irrelevant to the core issue at hand. Pple like you scare me and make me question why I should consider coming back to Nigeria? If things are not working will pple focus on what is important and work together to make a change? Still home is home and once I get the right skills and experience im packing my kaya. Please let the empty drums be quiet and let those of us who truly care for this country and are willing to make a sacrifice do something. Nuffsaid#

• Ady

January 10, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I think many may have misunderstood Elle’s point. I don’t think she was discrediting Glory. I think she was more or less, encouraging Bellanaija on ways she can improve. I enjoyed this write up, and was very well informed. If BN must improve it’s actually the critical points suggested by her readers that would help her in being a force to recon with. Its true Elle could have worded it differently, but the fact still remains. It’s true I come here to read up on fashion and entertainment. But when we have the likes of Glory who is able to articulate what is happening in Nigeria and able to deliver the message to the audience, then Elle’s advice is that we would have liked to have heard this sooner. Thats all.

Thank you glory for a well written post.

3. HiroHairven

January 9, 2012 at 2:35 pm

This article brought tears to my eyes because I have screamed myself sore talking about this point of view and to come here and read the words in my heart so perfectly articulated gives me unthinkable joy! Enough is Enough. God bless Nigeria!

4. Lynn

January 9, 2012 at 2:45 pm

You’ve just hit the nail on the head. Indeed all they do is to ensure that their own lifestyles remain subsidized without thinking of the masses and how the average Nigerian can live with a meagre 18,000 Naira minimum wage. The price of everything has automatically escalated and they don’t feel an iota of what goes on in the country. How will one send kids to school, provide 3-square meal and at the same time pay rent to shield the family from sun and rain. All the govt does is make empty promises without adequate implementation and this has eaten deeply into the economy and we say NO, enough is enough.

I am not in Nigeria and was hoping to come home this January but with such news, i can’t help but ask…what does Nigeria hold for its citizens? Do I stay back in England or come back home? Well, lets keep praying and hoping that one day, we’ll have a better, stronger and more unified Nigeria.

5. BubblyBliss

January 9, 2012 at 2:53 pm

The article started weak and finished off well. Good one Glory! Tell your friend with the tinted windows to get a license that permist her to have them. I remember this was put in place a while ago, don’t know if it still exists. In the mean time, #occupyNigeria and say ‘Hell NO!’ to corruption. May the force be with you.

• SeunD

January 9, 2012 at 5:05 pm

i agree, i stopped reading it because of the beginning

6. Ginika

January 9, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Mehn, this article makes plenty sense.

Elle, what is your point? She isnt only talking about the removal of subsidy but the silent grumbles we as Nigerians have been making, and we are about to turn that into more than grumbling.

I agree. Enough is enough. The government has chopped our money for way too long and now, we have to pay for a crime we didnt commit, a crime called ‘corruption within the government’.

7. Ginika

January 9, 2012 at 3:08 pm

The removal of the feul subsidy is the hay that broke the camels back #shikena!

• Tiki

January 9, 2012 at 7:39 pm

you mean the straw abi? #justsaying

• lala

January 10, 2012 at 5:44 am

straw and hay? same difference.

I thereby hand you a Phd in English Language. 🙂

8. Touchedbyanangel

January 9, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Doctors give their patient anesthesia b4 surgery and not vice versa yet that is what Jona has done. He needs not know how food is put on his table neither how the car or jet that carries him around is fueled his problem.
    i write this in pain as my coy has chosen downsizing as a way to maintain overhead cost of running the coy. and its affecting every unit.
    if 25% is taken off from their salaries, what is the total sum collected. we need a breakdown!

9. cynthia

January 9, 2012 at 3:24 pm

i think we naija are the cost of this corruption if the police should ask u for money tell them no and if the try to do something stupid take them to court. the solution to naija economic is the govt to charge for tax and use the tax money to build road, schools, good health care etc and everybody will be hapi.

10. chiberry

January 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm

i just want all to go back to normal and Nigeria should become peaceful again…i thought this was a democratic country, our president is just making it seem like a military one, by doing whatever he likes without even disclosing the reasons for his act..

11. Purpleicious Babe

January 9, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Well written Glory.

I was just thinking will the situation ever change? as in seriously will JUSTICE ever be served in NIGERIA???

To be honest, I feel drained………. MENTALLY, EMOTIONALLY, FINANCIALLY, SPIRITUALLY drained about the issues concerning NIGERIA and its government.

One wonders if they actually have a conscience and COMMON SENSE..

not alot to ask for is it?? it is just COMMON SENSE.

One day, one day one day that day is coming soon, people will account of how they had such post and misused that position based on selfish reasons.

One thing I have noticed that is a common thread is: we bury things alot… IT IS HIDDEN. KEPT AWAY, SWEPT AWAY and never dealt with. No wonder all the binding and flexing has not done much, because instead of dealing with the situation and facing it HEAD ON, we bury it all and say the devil is liar… Funny… the DEVIL is constantly laughing at us and how we fail to see that its is not a spiritual problem, it is just COMMON SENSE which we are all blessed with.

Enough said.

12. faith

January 9, 2012 at 3:48 pm

All of U̶̲̥̅̊ calling for God’s help shuld pls shut up!…Its d same God dat gave u d opportunity τ̅☺ vote for a credible leader n U̶̲̥̅̊ messed up…am not bothered about all Dats happening now cos U̶̲̥̅̊ all asked for it…I voted buhari…I new he was our saviour too bad non of U̶̲̥̅̊ saw it…too bad!

• miss B

January 10, 2012 at 5:52 pm

you are clearly not well!

13. ?????

January 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Many of you young people commenting on here with your $1000 blackberry phones, brand new cars, while stroking your 200K brazillian hair that were funded by servicing numerous government officials who make a living stealing from the government are hypocrites! You are as corrupt as they are. So before you start pointing fingers and typing “with” as “wiv”, take a look in the mirror and stop with all the hypocrisies.
    Isn’t the same corrupt government that is stealing money ruled by People? Corruption is everywhere in Nigeria. The problem with Nigeria lies within the character of the people, Nigerians. Even if Goodluck tried to make good of this nation it will not make it to the masses because the same people crying corruptions are also the ones corrupting the country in their own little ways. Give them a chance to rule and they will do worse. YES! I am all for change in Nigeria. I believe enough is enough! I also believe our problems doesn’t just lie within the government. IF EACH AND EVERYONE OF US NIGERIANS DO NOT CHANGE OUR CORRUPT WAYS, NIGERIA WILL ONLY CONTINUE TO GET WORSE. GOODLUCK is the least of our problem. The change starts with us and our neighbors. The greed in Nigerians is too much and we stop at nothing to satisfy it. May God have mercy on us.

• kemkem

January 9, 2012 at 5:42 pm

100% correct!!!!

• darkvixen

January 9, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Brother or Sister,

God bless you.

• Akpeno

January 9, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Hahaha You hit the nail RIGHT ON THE HEAD! But you forgot to add the young guys too… afterall young men are servicing Govt men too and some Govt women are servicing young men as well….

• thetruth

January 9, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Precisely! You have said it all. I thought the same thing when I woke up this morning. I said to myself, Nigerians are the cause of our problems. We patronize and hail people with money not minding how they made the money. We are so materialistic, selfish and greedy. We only think of ourselves. The government is a representative of the people they lead so what does that say about we Nigerians? Anyway, I dey sidon dey look.

• nov

January 10, 2012 at 11:05 am

GBAM!!!!!!!!…We are our own enemy and until we change our ways, Nigeria will still be the same.

• right

January 11, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Well done, good response, I was in Naija for xmas and it is really true they put 200k brazillian weave on their hair, i saw it in the salon ni in Ikoyi at $ price. Hmm, also that list of cabal that was published, some of them have their wives featured as Creative Directors of Fashion houses then the keep up with the Joneses likes their FB page wanting to be like them not knowing it is their national cake they can use to open boutiques that an average naija person cant buy ankara shorts in it come to think of dress. Which way naija, look before you leap, be satisfied ma wo ago alago sise…..enough said!

14. asantewaaq

January 9, 2012 at 3:59 pm

well `said

15. kiki

January 9, 2012 at 4:19 pm

THANK YOU BELLA NAIJA. YOU HAVE SAID IT ALL.

16. Occupant

January 9, 2012 at 4:45 pm

There have been various economic theories about the pros and cons of removing fuel subsidy. Apparently, it is supposed to stimulate competition among fuel producers and create an incentive for lowering prices, as opposed to subsidy and a price fix by government. But the fear is the Nigerian factor, where for some reason, the prices of items never ever go down, so N141 may the cheapest fuel will ever be. What goes up and never comes down? Age used to be the answer. Prices of goods in Nigeria may be the more correct one.

Besides we have a weak regulator in the PPPRA so how will collusion among illegal price cartels be monitored or curbed. Two or three or 10,000 beer drinking CEO Alhajis and Chiefs may meet in a hotel in Abuja and agree to peg fuel at N200 a litre, and promise to co-operate with each other, instead of competing to drive the prices down. And who would stop them?

Regulation in Nigeria has always been non-existent. I mean this is a country where crooks have been mixing kerosene with aviation fuel, and selling them to airlines. No wonder some of our airlines engines rattle and rumble like Molues. I have been in a domestic airplane where the aircraft’s shock absorbers were not working at all. The plane ‘fell’ from the sky, and landed with a huge thud that shook all the passengers. Some people screamed “Blood of Jesus”, while a few who had been pretending to read newspapers started screaming for their lives. Some unfastened their seat belts and switched on the phones, and started making emergency calls to their family

Lekki a high-brow area was hit with the low-blow of tolling. VGC is now officially the most expensive area in the world. You not only pay for the land, but also for the priviIege to go visit it. I think its time for me to go back to my village. I go plant cocoa, I go plant cassava; even though na yam. I dey go back to my village.

17. kenora

January 9, 2012 at 5:22 pm

too bad to see hw nigeria has tuned into….we av suffered alot,bcos of our bad leaders…so the poor dont av any rite again like the riches bcos of money ad power…..na God go punish all of them may don steal frm our money…..they will never know peace…

18. Yawn

January 9, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Yakking, ranting, insulting the writer and all those that commented, giving your opinion about what’s wrong in Nigeria, are we done? ‘Talk does not cook rice- Chinese Proverb’ Either you get off your behind and the internet and get pro-active like some of us have chosen to do, or shut it and go and read the BN Weddings Section!! Professional Commentators!

19. Cynthia Fayomi

January 9, 2012 at 7:23 pm

20. gbeborun

January 9, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Nigerian leaders just act like they can do whatever and get a way with it, it very tempting to think they are also behind all they fighting and killing of innocent, divide and rule, so many issues to address but what does the idiot do as a new year present,takes away fuel subsidy,i don’t get it,it was done to curtail corruption indeed, it’s the same mentality that we know what’s good for you while they keep enriching themselves,NIGERIANS do not keep quiet,FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT

21. Yewande S.

January 9, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Well written article and it explains better why many people are protesting the removal of the fuel subsidy- they don’t trust the government to put the money to good use! The beginning of the article detracts from the strong points you made. Perhaps there is a reason why you started with the anecdote before going into the well thought out details of the article.

22. Dee

January 9, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Very well said. God bless Nigeria. The coming generations deserve better.

23. Babe

January 9, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Greed and corruption is the problem of Nigeria! There is a constant thirst to continue to acquire, to continue to gather and to continue to amass! Like someone said, Jonathan is not really the problem of Nigeria, Nigerians are the problem of Nigeria…Until everyone of us begins to get content with whatever they have, then the suffering will continue. Some of us commenting here steal from our companies, you use office printer to print stuff ur MSC handout, you spend company money lavishly, claim per-diem when you’re not supposed to, inflate invoices, there are numerous examples, so tell me how do we want to put an end to corruption??? When we all indulge in this “little” vices! Nigerians, it it time for a re-orientation! It is time for us to change our ways collectively and start to impart this on our children as well. God bless Nigeria

24. miss

January 9, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I like ur post, it rily spiks d mind of Nigerians. But d prob we have is we don’t trust our govt. Dey hav a very very gudd initiative, ie d SURE (subsidy reinvestment. And empowerment program. Buh r dey trustworthy enough 2handle such excess liquidity. We r tlkn trillions. Now, factually, derz nuthin like subsidy, d oil cabal in our land, go 2d 9ja delta, get ds oil, export 4refining, brng it bak, collect d subsidy.. We don’t import any fuel!!!! So we r indirectly enriching dem. Wen dis subsidy is taken out, we encourage transparency! Wat we need 2b worried about is how 2 hold d govt wen dey don’t perfor
    m deir functns, we wil feel d pain of dis subsidy, initially, ts like rippin a bandage 4rm a wound. D afta effects wil favor us, say 3-4yrs tym. Pls,I encourage us 2speak good n pray 4 jonathan ratha dan curse him. Hez a human lik us, and hez surrounded by bad eggs, who don’t want d good of this country. We say NO to oppressive policies, and corruption. Not removal of subsidy. Be wise. D palliatives dey r offering isn’t enticing enough, u want 2 cut d basic salary of govt workers, wat of allowances, but ure still paying civil servants, 18000. How unfair!!!!! Giving us mass transit buses isn’t d solution. Sacrifice, is d only way 9jarians can trust. It is well.. A lot of ghost workers shud be cut down, so govt has 2 revert bak, put deir acts 2geda, b4 remuvin d subsidy. A revolution is imminent. But we might not survive it. Pointing fingers neva solved anithn.

25. seun

January 9, 2012 at 10:00 pm

i love this article Glory, really do. ‘?????’! U bad o! Lets occupy Nigeria!

26. [email protected]

January 9, 2012 at 10:30 pm

i was totally against the subsidy – especially after the overnite increase – but after reading more about the benefits and watching this http://www.youtube.com/embed/RLd8o8z-2CU – i’m sorry it is the necessary evil – how can we continue to sell N70 LESS than the market price? how can we grow when the subsidy is eats into our budget – no wonder no one wants to trade with us , no wonder we have smugglers.
    – Goodluck is extremely brave – ! many have failed at this – – best decision yet. Let’s us hope that now they have removed the subsidy they take even bolder steps towards building our refineries and putting infrastructures in place –

• Passer-By

January 10, 2012 at 2:12 am

Itk, when you grow tomatoes and rear chickens in your backyard to make stew for your family, are you getting your home made chicken stew at market price? definitely not! It costs you far less than you would buy a ready made bowl of stew from mama put. Are you then subsidizing to your family? Would it make sense for you to spend money to buy stew when you can easily save money and make it at home? The next business step would then to be make plenty stew and sell to outsiders at mama-put rates! You would have making huge profit margins! It’s unreasonable that Nigeria should pay the same costs for her internal oil needs as a non-oil producing country would – what then would be the direct advantage of being a major crude oil producer? If we fixed our refineries and addressed other problems disturbing us, subsidy would not be an issue because we would still be making profits anyway. Nigerians should not be made to pay for the governments’ inefficiencies and corrupt ways!

• thetruth

January 10, 2012 at 2:56 am

The problem is, they will NOT. There is more to the subsidy removal thingy than meets the eye. Please read the below article and try to understand what is at stakes and who the primary stakeholders in this oil subsidy wahala are all about:

On a recent trip to West Africa, the newly appointed managing director of the International Monetary Fund, Christine Lagarde ordered the governments of Nigeria, Guinea, Cameroon, Ghana and Chad to relinquish vital fuel subsidies. Much to the dismay of the population of these nations, the prices of fuel and transport have near tripled over night without notice, causing widespread violence on the streets of the Nigerian capital of Abuja and its economic center, Lagos. Much like the IMF induced riots in Indonesia during the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis, public discontent in Nigeria is channelled towards an incompetent and self-serving domestic elite, compliant to the interests of fraudulent foreign institutions.

Although Nigeria holds the most proven oil reserves in Africa behind Libya, it’s people are now expected to pay a fee closer to what the average American pays for the cost of fuel, an exorbitant sum in contrast to its regional neighbours. Alternatively, other oil producing nations such as Venezuela, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia offer their populations fuel for as little as $0.12 USD per gallon. While Lagos has one of Africa’s highest concentration of billionaires, the vast majority of the population struggle daily on less than $2.00 USD. Amid a staggering 47% youth unemployment rate and thousands of annual deaths related to preventable diseases, the IMF has pulled the rug out from under a nation where safe drinking water is a luxury to around 80% of it’s populace.

Although Nigeria produces 2.4 million barrels of crude oil a day intended for export use, the country struggles with generating sufficient electrical power and maintaining its infrastructure. Ironically enough, less than 6% of bank depositors own 88% of all bank deposits in Nigeria. Goldman Sachs employees line its domestic government, in addition to the former Vice President of the World Bank, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, who is widely considered by many to be the de facto Prime Minister. Even after decades of producing lucrative oil exports, Nigeria has failed to maintain it’s own refineries, forcing it to illogically purchase oil imports from other nations. Society at large has not benefited from Nigeria’s natural riches, so it comes as no surprise that a severe level of distrust is held towards the government, who claims the fuel subsidy needs to be lifted in order to divert funds towards improving the quality of life within the country.

Like so many other nations, Nigerian people have suffered from a systematically reduced living standard after being subjected to the IMF’s Structural Adjustment Policies (SAP). Before a loan can be taken from the World Bank or IMF, a country must first follow strict economic policies, which include currency devaluation, lifting of trade tariffs, the removal of subsidies and detrimental budget cuts to critical public sector health and education services.

SAPs encourage borrower countries to focus on the production and export of domestic commodities and resources to increase foreign exchange, which can often be subject to dramatic fluctuations in value. Without the protection of price controls and an authentic currency rate, extreme inflation and poverty subsist to the point of civil unrest, as seen in a wide array of countries around the world (usually in former colonial protectorates). The people of Nigeria have been one of the world’s most vocal against IMF-induced austerity measures, student protests have been met with heavy handed repression since 1986 and several times since then, resulting in hundreds of civilian deaths. As a testament to the success of the loan, the average laborer in Nigeria earned 35% more in the 1970’s than he would of in 2012.

Working through the direct representation of Western Financial Institutions and the IMF in Nigeria’s Government, a new IMF conditionality calls for the creation of a Sovereign Wealth Fund. Olusegun Aganga, the former Nigerian Minister of Finance commented on how the SWF was hastily pushed through and enacted prior to the countries national elections. If huge savings are amassed from oil exports and austerity measures, one cannot realistically expect that these funds will be invested towards infrastructure development based on the current track record of the Nigerian Government. Further more, it is increasingly more likely that any proceeds from a SWF would be beneficial to Western institutions and markets, which initially demanded its creation. Nigerian philanthropist Bukar Usman prophetically writes “I have genuine fears that the SWF would serve us no better than other foreign-recommended “remedies” which we had implemented to our own detriment in the past or are being pushed to implement today.”

The abrupt simultaneous removal of fuel subsidies in several West African nations is a clear indication of who is really in charge of things in post-colonial Africa. The timing of its cushion-less implementation could not be any worse, Nigeria’s president Goodluck Jonathan recently declared a state of emergency after forty people were killed in a church bombing on Christmas day, an act allegedly committed by the Islamist separatist group, Boko Haram. The group advocates dividing the predominately Muslim northern states from the Christian southern states, a similar predicament to the recent division of Sudan.

As the United States African Command (AFRICOM) begins to gain a foothold into the continent with its troops officially present in Eritrea and Uganda in an effort to maintain security and remove other theocratic religious groups such as the Lord’s Resistance Army, the sectarian violence in Nigeria provides a convenient pretext for military intervention in the continuing resource war. For further insight into this theory, it is interesting to note that United States Army War College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania conducted a series of African war game scenarios in preparation for the Pentagon’s expansion of AFRICOM under the Obama Administration.

In the presence of US State Department Officials, employees from The Rand Corporation and Israeli military personnel, a military exercise was undertaken which tested how AFRICOM would respond to a disintegrating Nigeria on the verge of collapse amidst civil war. The scenario envisioned rebel factions vying for control of the Niger Delta oil fields (the source of one of America’s top oil imports), which would potentially be secured by some 20,000 U.S. troops if a US-friendly coup failed to take place At a press conference at the House Armed Services Committee on March 13, 2008, AFRICOM Commander, General William Ward then went on to brazenly state the priority issue of America’s growing dependence on African oil would be furthered by AFRICOM operating under the principle theatre-goal of “combating terrorism”.

At an AFRICOM Conference held at Fort McNair on February 18, 2008, Vice Admiral Robert T. Moeller openly declared the guiding principle of AFRICOM was to protect “the free flow of natural resources from Africa to the global market”, before citing China’s increasing presence in the region as challenging to American interests. After the unwarranted snatch-and-grab regime change conducted in Libya, nurturing economic destabilization, civil unrest and sectarian conflict in Nigeria is an ultimately tangible effort to secure Africa’s second largest oil reserves. During the pillage of Libya, its SFW accounts worth over 1.2 billion USD were frozen and essentially absorbed by Franco-Anglo-American powers; it would realistic to assume that much the same would occur if Nigeria failed to comply with Western interests. While agents of foreign capital have already infiltrated its government, there is little doubt that Nigeria will become a new front in the War on Terror.

Nile Bowie is a freelance writer and photojournalist; he’s regularly contributed to Tony Cartalucci’s Land Destroyer Report and Alex Jones’ Infowars.

Global Research Articles by Nile Bowie

• emi

January 10, 2012 at 3:48 am

yes he is indeed brave i mean you have to be brave to actually put the cost of feeding for the president and vice president at 1 billion naira in the 2012 budget with a straight face. And please dont get me started you hear. i have a copy of the budget and i’ve read it and frankly if you did youy woul despise this guy with everything you’ve got. Brave ko thief ni

27. TrueStory

January 10, 2012 at 12:01 am

???????????? individual – You speak the truth. Unfortunately your message will not be understood. Nigeria am affraid is a goner! For any change to be made most will have to die! I suggest you all sit back and enjoy the ride… or immigrate

28. Passer-By

January 10, 2012 at 1:54 am

Very well written…. but I would point out that ‘We…. send our children abroad to school, ship millions of naira to foreign countries for our health care needs’…. is totally a reflection of how the rich man ‘suffers’ and smiles. 80% of Nigerians can only dream of these fall-back options. Let’s open our eyes, privileged people, to what the common Nigerian is about.

• miss B

January 10, 2012 at 5:47 pm

this is Bella Naija, how representative can thier write up be? i laff in arabic…..lolololol

29. kagunyanninuewe

January 10, 2012 at 1:58 am

Hello Mr and Mrs Wanting A Lot From The Government of Nigeria,
    I am a poor person according to Nigeria terminology, but everyday i get myself to touch a life that are like me or less fortunate than I am. Stop pointing fingers. I saw those at the front line condemning others when they themselves have not done the most humble duties ever, like feeding a beggar or washing the feet of the unfortunate in their neighborhood. Trouble makers look around you there is plenty of work to do than roaming the street and running your mouth. Charity begins at home.

30. tpop

January 10, 2012 at 2:09 am

Arabia is a country filled with oil, why are they all so rich and we can barely help ourselves >: (

31. Knight

January 10, 2012 at 3:58 am

Kudos to Gloria…..Was shocked BN permitted this article. Thot BN was only about the vain life of celebrities and their hangers on.
    My friends have been checking out Linda Ikeji’s blog by the minute since last week monday as they believed its the source of current jist about happenings back home. Will let them know BN is no longer just about brazillian hair..
    Nice one!

Yemi

32. Ayo Fashola

January 10, 2012 at 4:57 am

I’m not sure how I feel about what I’ve just read. I first want to begin by saying, “well written article, ” but I’m mixed with emotions. I live in a country that has all the basic amenities, yet I’d prefer to be home, in Nigeria, yet it just seems so impossible. I’m a stranger in a foreign land, but when I go to Nigeria, I’m a a stranger in a foreign land. No one trust anyone. Government officials are not trusted. Taxi cab drivers are not trusted, Mamapoot is not trusted, no one is trusted. We complain, we grumble, we argue. Our morale for our country is low. We don’t even think to highly of ourselves as individuals. We tell the world, people make less than $2 a day not remembering that you cannot compare the standards of America to the standards of Nigeria (but they do it anyway) Maybe Goodluck Jonathan woke up one morning, the angel of the Lord came to him and he saw the light and made a vow with Christ to do the right thing from here on out, regardless of what has happened in the past. What of if this happened? yet, we judge the future based on what has happened in the past. The past is over, the past is dead. Just because leaders where corrupt yesterday does not mean they will be corrupt today. Many have made mistakes, including you and I, but we keep going, we press on, we try harder, we do something different, we do the same thing, but for a different reason, and maybe in a different way. This isn’t about trusting our government. This is about human dignity and simply having trust in your next door neighbor who lives down the street. Having trust in the human spirit, but our hearts are hard. We feel like someone is always out to get us. Someone is out to hustle us, take from us, scam us, corrupt us, cheat us. What happened to seeing the good in each and every situation? It is good that #Occupy Nigeria is going on, if anything it causes you to get off of your knees and out into the streets. Although prayer is good, action is what creates results. God bless Nigeria.

• ChangeBeginsWithYou

January 11, 2012 at 9:04 am

I really feel you. Nigerians say they don’t trust the government, but also they do not trust themselves. Families don’t trust each other, neighbors don’t trust each other, etc.. However, change is constant. The Nigeria and Africa we have always hoped for is here. God only needs one to believe and see the vision. It is natural for the majority to fight the change, but the change is here.

If the government is corrupt, it is the reflection of the people, after all, the government were once part of the people. So please lets stop this hypocrisy.
      Nigerian people: start the purification from yourselves. Stop pointing fingers. Stand up for honesty, justice, and love within yourselves. eg. stop bribing your way around issues (most Nigerians in Nigeria do it, that’s corruption), stop committing evil acts towards your fellow human being, help one another in love and faithfulness. This is the true protest, it is not about carrying posters and starting fires.

33. me

January 10, 2012 at 7:58 am

Dodoyo @[email protected], how can a lizard wake up one day as a crocodile. How can the same ppl who have been making promises for years wake up one day and because they saved some extra money decide that they will use it to develop the country, the country they did not develop b4 o, even when they had budgetted money for stuff, they would still “chop” d money and not use it, so what EXACTLY makes you think they would use the money well this time. I’m not against the subsidy either, and if you had taken note, the protest isn’t against it either, we’re just saying that, things should be done better. We all know that it’s better for us as a nation to remove subsidy, but the truth is, if we don’t work on corruption “up there” before removing it, it would be utterly pointless cos they wld still “chop” it. They keep telling us to make sacrifices while they’re earning OBSCENE money. Its outrageous, let them make their own sacrifices first, let them contribute to the budget by slashing their own salaries and removing some extravance from their budget. Shikena!

34. skaf

January 10, 2012 at 10:41 am

words of mouth wont change things. let us all take part in this protest by coming out of the comfort zone of our bedrooms. join the protest with one voice and am sure it will make a lot of positive changes in this country

35. Deo

January 11, 2012 at 10:39 am

WORD!

36. chaikiebaba

January 11, 2012 at 4:40 pm

yeah subsidy……….i just have one question for our foolish leaders who claim dat all their evil plans to enrich their pockets with their ploys is in the interest of the masses; what happened to the subsidy removed from diesel,kerosene and aviation fuel.

37. little too late

January 11, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Congrats bella naija! U just woke up from ur slumber abi?msheeeeeew

38. JOBS IN NIGERIA

January 12, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Pathetic leaders we have.

39. spark

January 13, 2012 at 9:56 am

@Elle…shattap!

40. Oghenekevwe

January 15, 2012 at 4:08 pm

let’s call this own tin grammar, but it’s a big sock & a heartbreak to Nigerians right now. the solution is God

• rogotigi

January 17, 2012 at 3:38 am

Pls shout it out to people… subsidy or its removal isnt d solution, GOD is!!!

41. cathy

January 16, 2012 at 4:06 pm

well written gloria

42. steven

January 16, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Ayo, i hav not spoken on this until u wrote on bella; May be u don’t understand so let me explain reasons why we should not talk about subsidy here or may b to say it should not be burdened on the populace. I want you to know that am govt official and anything i tell u just trust! Nigeria budget is only based on the sales of crude Oil and Gas which means our budget is determined by the price of the price of crude in the international mart; This is an insincere and unloyal way to project for a country like nigeria that as about 12 govt agencies that generates nothing less than 5 billion in a month in other sector; where is the money going to? example of such agencies are Customs, NEPA, FAAN, NPA, CAC, NIMASA and so on why dont day acct for the money realized in this sectors ( aviation, communication, marine etc) if you understand this then i will continue with nine other reason why they should not be trusted Jonathan included; thnks my naija patriot!

43. notyskland 3.liga

January 17, 2012 at 10:46 am

Very efficiently written information. It will be valuable to everyone who employess it, including me. Keep doing what you are doing – looking forward to more posts.

44. Free Zumba Online

January 26, 2012 at 5:29 am

Your article is the best I have seen for a long time!