News

BN Cuisine with Chef Fregz: Guess Who’s Back?

I’m sure this post will come as a serious surprise to most of you all because I’m sure after the first post (to those who read it) must have been wondering… “where’d he go” (throw in an eye roll) well, let us just say I’m here now and here to stay and that’s all that matters.

In my life a lot has happened. I lost my aunt Whitney (yes I’m famzing… she’s related to me through songs like “All at Once”), I have had the opportunity to live my dream daily… cooking and cooking away. Occupy Nigeria came and left, a lot has happened but I’m still here cooking.

In the last post I did, I spoke about how food is emotive. Food no matter how much you’re not a fan is a natural emotional trigger. I mean a hungry man is an angry man right? Isaac was bought over with good food right? That husband that meets his wife’s pounded yam and healthy looking efo-riro isn’t her new car sure?!… so yes since I have established the emotive power of food…good food to be more precise.

I want to take it a step further. You know you have to act on that emotion. In this case you need to savour the taste and the near orgasmic pleasure that chocolate mousse may give you or the soul feeling the Party Jollof rice brings.

But since we don’t want to be making enormous fools of ourselves in public. The only action you need to take now is to go cook something!

Ok, below are photographs that are going to talk about what has kept me busy. I`ll allow you guys do the choosing for what recipe you like to see from the photos you see. Just add your comment and mention the name of the dish or the number next to it!

1. Punjab Chicken with Cinnamon Pilaf Rice

2. Beef Fillet Burger with Rocket

3. Basil Chilli Tikka Prawns

4. Chicken and Prawn “Risotto”

BN Cuisine is set for a proper voyage this time! All Aboard?
Ciao!
To find out more, visit http://theskinnychefthatcould.wordpress.com/

Chef Fregz loves to cook! He is a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu Paris Culinary Arts School in France and hosts monthly “Chef Fregz Specials” where he whips up a yummy menu with a different theme each time then everyone enjoys a taste. He also caters special events and private dinners. To find out more visit www.cheffregz.com. Chef Fregz provides premium private catering services. For bookings and orders email [email protected] – @Chef_Fregz on Instagram and Twitter. You can check out the Chef Fregz Page on Facebook as well.

1. ms pretty

March 15, 2012 at 8:24 am

oh my – watering mouth i g^t – I especially luv d Basil Chilli Tikka Prawns – yummy

2. christy

March 15, 2012 at 8:25 am

I want made n naija fooooooooood

3. Missy K

March 15, 2012 at 8:28 am

I would love the recipe for Basil Chilli Tikka Prawns. Looks delish.

4. Mary Decker

March 15, 2012 at 8:30 am

No. 3! No. 3!!! Basil Chilli Tikka Prawns! Looks awesome- thats my vote.
    P.S is that cinnamon pillau rice in no.1?

5. jigiola

March 15, 2012 at 8:46 am

Basil Chicken and tikka prawns! Most def!!!

6. Damilola Oluwatoyinbo

March 15, 2012 at 8:47 am

Wowwwww. Chef Fregz is at it again.You rock!
    Every recipe you present has an irresistible appeal so I’d love to have a taste of each but I guess the Punjab Chicken with Cinnamon Pilaf rice would be my fave.
    Looking forward to the next “Chef Fregz Special”

• Ms. Jayee

March 16, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Pastor Dammy on Bella Naija???? *faints*

• lafta

March 27, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Pastress, is it unholy for him to be here………….?

7. Homely

March 15, 2012 at 8:50 am

ok Chef Fregz, I rily want to learn how to make dishes like dis…pls anywhere in Lagos you can refer me to? plssssss…….Thanks in advance.

8. Femi

March 15, 2012 at 8:58 am

Welcome Back Chef Fregz! Its good to have you back o….I was one of those rolling my eyes wondering where you’d gone…looking forward to the recipes…I’d love to try the Punjab Chicken with Cinnamon Pilaf Rice.

9. AamyB

March 15, 2012 at 9:05 am

Without a doubt 3. Basil Chicken and tikka prawns. 😀

10. Fashionista today and forever

March 15, 2012 at 9:06 am

errr dude, first of all can i get cooking lessons please. Oh ” BASIL CHILLI TIKKA PRAWNS” for sure.

11. Terri

March 15, 2012 at 9:09 am

I’m not a big fan of prawns but wanna taste 3. Basil Chilli Tikka Prawns, loks yummy

12. Survivor

March 15, 2012 at 9:37 am

3 and 4 please. **drooling** 🙂

13. Tiki

March 15, 2012 at 9:45 am

I luuuv Prawns. Basil Chilli tikka prawns pls.

ps. With less oil. Thanx.

14. pynk

March 15, 2012 at 10:30 am

I dont want any receipe. Please is chef fregz single? might as well try for the whole package instead of snippets. A man that can cook. My dream come thru

15. !abe

March 15, 2012 at 10:33 am

Prawns pleaseeeee

16. love

March 15, 2012 at 10:35 am

pls N0 3…….basil chilli tikka prawns

17. r6

March 15, 2012 at 10:43 am

Errr.. No.1 .. No.2 .. No3 (please don’t forget the potatoes).. No.4 .. Thank you!

18. Fadeyl'amour

21. Oghenero

March 15, 2012 at 11:29 am

hooooooooo, i’d love to have the recipe for 3. Basil Chilli Tikka Prawns
    Looks really yummy!

22. stepho blaize

March 15, 2012 at 12:05 pm

seems chef fregs is into indian dishes. they are the best!!! to me ooo

23. Fin

March 15, 2012 at 12:58 pm

CEHF FREGZZZZZZ OH! *MOUTH WATERING ON THE TRILLION*
    NEED TO SAMPLE ALL. bUT NUMBER 3 THO

24. adetoke johnson

March 15, 2012 at 1:20 pm

i love no 3…..yummmmy!

25. adetoke johnson

March 15, 2012 at 1:21 pm

i want the recipe for no3

26. Domina

March 15, 2012 at 2:00 pm

No 3 please….tho they all look delicious..

27. FERAN

March 15, 2012 at 2:13 pm

BASIL PRAWNS AND A RECIPE OF HOW TO MAKE THE POTATOES JUST LIKE THT PLSSS 🙂

28. faith

March 15, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I want 4!

29. babe

March 15, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Yum yum

30. Essie

March 15, 2012 at 3:24 pm

If you love this, check out http://www.essiespice.com. Thanks.

31. Touch

March 15, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I tink u shld have created a poll, so we could vote…… For me its no3.

32. konnie

March 15, 2012 at 5:02 pm

The Basil Chilli Tikka Prawns seems to be a winner for me visually etc and I love prawns.
    So there, I have picked no 3

33. Sbaby

March 15, 2012 at 6:29 pm

CHICKEN AND PRAWN RISOTTO? ALL I SEE IS PRAWNS AND CHICKEN,BIKO WHERE IS THE RISOTTO

34. Blessed

March 15, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I will love to see the recipe to #3 Basil Chilli Tikka Prawns please. Thank you Chef.

35. Baba T

March 15, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Lovely food and I’m sure the Chef knows his business but…and it is a BIG BUT!!!!

The food presentation looks arwful infact its just terrible! I don’t know whats more sad…the food presentation or the ppl here that seem not to know how food is supposed to be presented!

Shocking!!!

Lets look at the fillet beef burger LWKMD! where exactly is the beef! buried in the weed like structures and that huge bell pepper. 🙂 Plus the “vomit” that seems to be applied in over generous amounts, I beg jere return to sender. The bun is over burnt btw.

Chicken and Prawn “Risotto” photo taken on a dirty plate opps! YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO CLEAN THE EDGES OF THE PLATE WITH A KITCHEN TOWEL….JEEZ!

The lighting in all these photos is terrible… under exposed!

Food needs styling…erm, sorry we don’t have food stylists in Naija…everyone don run follow fashion lol.

we need to showcase our stuff better not worst.

Baba T

• lolly

March 15, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Yea wha’eva \_______ or lastma go carry u

• mimi

March 15, 2012 at 9:02 pm

LOL its like you watch master chef oo! 😛 Otherwise we donot care about all those one, hunger doesnt have levels ooo 😛

• Layo

March 16, 2012 at 2:21 am

Ahn Ahn Baba T, SHOW us the way!!!! Pfftt, your comment may have been relevant without all the “extra-ness”

• Fregene Gbubemi

March 17, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Im sure you were going for a “critique”

About the quality of the lighting and all… most of the pictures were taken by me and im not a professional. some dishes were done to be rustic such as the burger. Calling my sauce vomit was a tad too much. and its a Pickled Chilli Resting on top. I missed the detail on the Risotto plate i admit.

All in All i appreciate your honestly and bluntness.
      I can only Improve.

Thanks again

36. iyanda ololade

March 15, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Did is so yummy. Great job Chef Fregz(Juice), but ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ know τ̲̅ђe usual now. Lols

37. RUBANJ

March 15, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Go cousin go cousin go…Lol..Keep doing ur thing Bro One love<3<3

38. lolly

March 15, 2012 at 7:18 pm

NUMBER 3!!! NUMBER 3!!! NUMBER 3!!! ALL WE ARE SAAAAYING!!! GIVE ME NUUUMBER 3!

39. Observer

March 15, 2012 at 7:39 pm

# 3 Please! 🙂

40. CU runaway

March 15, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Chef Fregz! #1 plsss

41. ot

March 15, 2012 at 11:38 pm

no 1. pls

42. cooc

March 16, 2012 at 4:56 am

chicken and prawn together?????
    love risotto but can’t see it in the dish

43. Toyin

March 16, 2012 at 10:56 am

Basil chilli tikka prawn,baby!

44. Beverly

March 16, 2012 at 8:32 pm

First off, good luck on all your endeavors.

My 10kobo…presentation is key.

1. The sliver of coconut and cilantro is over kill. Your rice could have been molded in a buttered ramekin and the sauce set on the side with the chicken.The color of the sauce is tricky, so piling it on was off-putting. The wayward rice threw me off.
    2. Dish is dirty. Pepper is unnecessary, the dressing(s) should be on the side in small condiment containers. This is high end no?. Where is the tomatoes,onions, pickles and other toppings. The star of your burger is the beef. Let people build the burgers. One size does not fit all like McDs. The rocket would make an excellent salad, on the side.
    3. Matching dishes or at least plain white dishes. It looks like you pulled your mums Sunday dishes and kept it moving, unless the look you are going for is family style dining. And if squid is part of the dish, you might want to mention it .
    4. Again, clean your dish, lose the big leaf and your meat should not overpower your rice.
    *All I see is protein and carbs. Vegetables need love too.

Had you been self taught , I would still expect more from you, since you are young and have the www at your fingertips. I have seen better food presentations and pictures from Naija food bloggers. That you are a trained chef from a prestigious Academy and still put this out gives me a sad.
    If I was in Nigeria and attended your event and was presented with any of this, I would assume that the Chef was having a tantrum and I would be insulted.

I look forward to your next installment and I expect great things.

I send this with love and ya’ll at BN may not want to publish this. Kindly forward to the chef. My critique was not made to hurt or cause embarrassment.

45. Sick&TiredofDoubleStandards!

March 16, 2012 at 9:38 pm

‘’Cause Hurt or embarrassment’’??? Like seriously, what are you on??? Take a breather yea?!

Give the guy a break…..

Chef Fregz…Kudos to you dude! We are all proud of you man…..take all the criticism on board, it’ll only make u a stronger and more successful chef!!

Oh btw, no 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Beverly

March 17, 2012 at 12:45 am

Kindly have a stadium full of seats. I did not send for you , so don’t come for me. A break is what you give a student, Chef Fregene I assume is a professional.

46. Fregene Gbubemi

March 17, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Beverly…
    I really want to appreciate your criticism.

However, I would like to point out somethings

1. The Prawn Picture and the Mums Dish issue was dinner at a friends house i did a house call at. Those where the dishes they had.
    2. Im not totally “High End” The burger was also at someones house and that was someones plate i quickly took a picture of and i was going for something rustic
    I mean i love being “High End” but i want to appeal to a wie audience
    3. The wayward rice yes… but i stick to my presentation i think the other way is just your preference i think.
    In general I appreciate your strong views and you clearly know your food! Comments like these are meant to make me improve and i get it! Thanks

47. Fregene Gbubemi

March 17, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Thanks for all your comments seems like its the Prawns that Take the Win!

48. lara

March 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I would love the recipe for Basil Chilli Tikka Prawns. Looks delish

49. Survivor

March 20, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Now here’s a guy that actually listens (reads) and understands criticism unlike that obnoxious Jerome fella. go on soun o jare chief chef. roll out your recipes already. **still drooling**. 🙂