News

Great Nigerian in the Diaspora: 22 Year-old Emmanuel Ohuabunwa Emerges as Best Graduating Student from John Hopkins University with his 3.98 GPA!

It’s always wonderful to hear news of Nigerians doing great things in the diaspora. That is why at Bellanaija.com, we are very proud of Emmanuel Ohuabunwa, a 22 year-old Nigerian who has made history at John Hopkins University, United States of America.

Emmanuel, who hails from Abia State was adjudged as having the highest honours during the graduation that was held on May 24 this year. He made a Grade Point Average of 3.98 out of 4.0 to bag a degree in Neurosciences in the University.

For his efforts, he has won a scholarship to Yale University to pursue a degree in Medicine.

Besides, he has been inducted into Phi Beta Kappa Society, a prestigious honour group that features membership of 17 US Presidents, 37 US Supreme Court Justices, and 136 Nobel Prize winners.

Emmanuel was born in Lagos, Nigeria and attended Lilly Fields Primary School, Lagos. He left Nigeria after his Junior Secondary School education at Air Force Comprehensive School, Ibadan, Oyo State.

“My parents moved the whole family when I was 13 years old. I was about to begin SS1 at Air Force, Ibadan. When I got to the US, I was enrolled with my age mates, which meant at 13, I was in middle school. I went to Fondren Middle School, which was in the middle of the ghetto. That was one of the darkest years for me because I encountered a lot of peer pressure. Some of the students, ignorant about Africa, bullied me and called me names such as ‘African booty scratcher’ because to them, Africans were dirty and scratched their butts all the time.

“Some asked me if I lived in mud huts and ate faeces for breakfast. I remember one day, when I was walking to the school bus, a boy came from behind and punched me in the face, called me an African and walked away. It took everything in me not to retaliate. I knew that God had put me in the U.S for a purpose and it did not involve fighting or selling drugs or doing the wrong things. “My experience during that year gave me a thick skin. I learned to stand for what I thought was right even when the opposition seemed insurmountable. I also learned to look at the positive in all situations. Even though these kids were bullying me, I was still gaining an opportunity to school in America and nothing would stop me from making the best of this opportunity.

“The shocker was that the kid that punched me in the face was black. I would have expected the blacks to be nicer to me. Nevertheless, I don’t blame those kids because they were ignorant about Africa. All they knew about us was the stuff they had watched on TV or documentaries, showing primitive African tribes, living in the jungle and making noises like monkeys. “In regards to the whites, there might have been some minor episodes but again I don’t blame them for it because it is a problem with stereotypes,” he said.

But in spite of this humiliation and racial prejudice against him, the first in a family of three was not discouraged. He faced his studies and was always coming top in his class. After he completed his middle school education, he passed the entrance examination to DeBakey High School for Health Professions. It was at this school that his interest in neurosciences and medicine started.

“I knew I wanted to go to the best school in the US. I had heard that Johns Hopkins Hospital had been ranked the number one hospital in the US for the past 21 years and I wanted to be in that environment.’’

Worried that his parents might not be able to sponsor him to the university, Ohuabunwa purposed to work very hard. He did and when the result of the PSAT came, he performed so well that he won the National Achievement Scholar. By virtue of this award, he received certificates of recognition from various organisations including senators from the Congress of both Texas and the US. He also received scholarship from the University of Houston; Rice University, Texas A&M Honors College and many more. He had also won the Principal’s Award during the annual awards ceremony at DeBakey High School.

But his breakthrough came when he won the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation full scholarship to any University of his choice. He worked hard and gained admission to Johns Hopkins University to study Neurosciences.

Speaking on what does he considers to be the missing links in the education sector of Nigeria when compared with that in the US, Emmanuel said unpredictable academic calendar, corruption, examination malpractice and inadequate funding were some of the problems confronting his home country’s university sector.

“There were a few problems with Nigerian higher education that contributed to our emigration in 2003. The first was the number of strikes that occurred in schools. It took my uncle seven years to graduate with a degree that should have taken him only four years. A second problem was the corruption. We had heard of people going into universities, because they paid someone to look the other way. I also heard of a few cheating scandals, where people would pay someone to take their exams for them or get a copy of the exam a few days before,” he said.

Upon completion of his programme at Yale, Emmanuel said he would like to come back to Nigeria.

“I am absolutely interested in the health care policy decisions in Nigeria. Because there are many changes that need to occur, I will not rule out the possibility of coming back after my studies, in order to join hands with the leaders to make these changes possible.”

News Source: Punch

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. Ije

June 26, 2012 at 9:50 am

So proud of him. See he went to an ordinary elementary school. When u r smart u r smart joo.

• Ms Gay 9ja

June 26, 2012 at 4:25 pm

It should av been written IBO man Emerges Best Graduating student at John Hopkins University, United States of America. After all Igbos (NOT Nigeria) are known 2 excelling everywre de go. Am sick n tired of ds stupid name Nigeria taking credit of good news like ds. Sorry guyz am jus being patriotic of my dear ethnic group! Dats wat some pple do now n am one of dem n I think its cool….

• lila

June 26, 2012 at 5:10 pm

u r the problem withthis country with your tribalistic utterances.so if bella naija put up ibo man, would that get u an automatic green card?

• laide

June 26, 2012 at 6:07 pm

dat is not how to be proud of ur ethnic group.,miss!

• lolo

June 26, 2012 at 7:29 pm

you shld be ashamed of yourself… part of what is wrong with this country… Sad

• bla bla

June 26, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Well if ibos are like you, they sure are very bitter people.

• Wowza

June 27, 2012 at 6:01 am

Get help IBOs are not the only ethnic group that excels, all ethnic groups have people that excel, the one a couple of weeks ago was Yoruba and the one who got the highest sat score a fe years ago was Edo and the list goes on, so quit being silly and cocky. There is a difference between proud of your tried and stupidity, tribalism and nepotism.

• zane

June 27, 2012 at 11:49 am

That means Prof Wole Soyinka is Igbo? And the University is Johns Hopkins not John Hopkins. Tribalism and ethnicity always blind their believers to the truth.

• Meangirlgonegood

June 27, 2012 at 4:24 pm

In such a decent thought provoking article, BN you should have censored the above foolish comment, need we go down the route where igbos have made a mess of Nigerians in the USA ? This boy would have made it anywhere, see from a young age how determined he was. I wish I thought like this when I was his age! It’s not too late girl. I am determined to the best in my place of work, as a wife and mother

• AmakaHolland

June 28, 2012 at 8:25 am

Egwueji nwannem, Igbo kwezuonu oooooh

• smart

June 29, 2012 at 4:05 pm

i love ur remark joor…thumbs up!

• Phil Hood

August 13, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I agree this tribalism is nonsense. I am a white American. I have friends who are both Ibo and Yoruba. We should all be proud of this young man for his family and his nation. He is an example to all others, not just one tribe or one community or one race.

• Nigerian lover

October 10, 2012 at 9:09 pm

the same igbo people are causing problems in other parts of the world. Fraud, scams and con artist, are you still proud of them? My point is that we must unite as one Nigeria, no need for name calling and blaming on this tribe or that tribe, because UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL, if we cannot aggree to disagree to agree, we cannot buid our country.

2. purplepearl

June 26, 2012 at 9:51 am

Weldone…And may God continue to crown ur efforts wit success.
    You in Nigeria, it will be a better place

3. Kach

June 26, 2012 at 9:54 am

Congrats!

4. motts

June 26, 2012 at 9:54 am

Weldone,u are indeed Blessed!!!

5. Lue

June 26, 2012 at 10:09 am

6. Ginika

June 26, 2012 at 10:09 am

I am sooo proud and I pray that God will bless and protect him and that one day, he’ll come home with all that experience and wealth of knowledge and use it to the benefit of Nigeria.

We are breeding and growing powerful breeds of future Nigerians in and outside of Nigeria.
    Chai, omo time to step up my game another notch.

7. Ozyy

June 26, 2012 at 10:12 am

GOD bless u plenty..may he continue enrichn u. Amen

8. OmoBolanle

June 26, 2012 at 10:14 am

Beautiful! This is impressive! Congrats!

9. ij

June 26, 2012 at 10:14 am

Excellent news, quite an accomplishment

10. GbengaOGA

June 26, 2012 at 10:15 am

Congratulations!

11. Bestnaomi

June 26, 2012 at 10:34 am

Emmanuel!! GOD is indeed wit him, congrate, I thank GOD 4 him.

12. Reposition

June 26, 2012 at 10:42 am

Congrats o

13. damsel

June 26, 2012 at 10:43 am

Am so proud of him,congrats.

14. Obiorah

June 26, 2012 at 10:44 am

Great…God bless you!

15. Austine Da Whizchap

June 26, 2012 at 10:47 am

Sure Does Feel Cool Being Black and Nigeria…..Thanks Bro….Congrats!

16. Seun

June 26, 2012 at 10:58 am

Congratulations and welldone!!! May many more Nigerians be like you. God bless and keep you. You will be increased on all frontiers

17. cHINONSO

June 26, 2012 at 10:59 am

NO JUST TRY COME NIGERIA, MAKE U DEY THERE UNLESS U WON KILL UR CAREER

• M

June 27, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I agree with you, in Nigeria they would frustrate his brain, work in the US come home and do voluntary work every other year

18. barbz

June 26, 2012 at 11:03 am

congrats, so happy for u, thnks to Bill n Belinda Gates Foundation. wish u de best bro. even in dis difficult times in the country some ppl get to make us proud else where. God bless u .

19. Kay

June 26, 2012 at 11:11 am

Great News!!! Genius!…..I will show my kid this site and story,really motivating!

20. Traditionalbay

June 26, 2012 at 11:15 am

Chinonso why?
    Congrats Emma, the Lord shall keep and preserve u!

21. Abs

June 26, 2012 at 11:15 am

Congrats Emma! Even though I’m not a Nigerian, it’s refreshing to read stuff like this. Way to go!

22. dory

June 26, 2012 at 11:17 am

i will advice u to berra stay put there,unless u r sure God is leading u to come back home.God bless u

• chinny

June 27, 2012 at 1:54 am

what an annoying advise!!! so u don’t want him to come back to Nigeria and help the country? The average Nigerian should change their attitude and try to do something positive for the country when they become successful esp since our government is a total failure.

• Lucy

June 27, 2012 at 4:37 pm

So, it is a person’s responsibility to help fix the country when they become successful, because our govt is a failure. Why dont you channle such righteous indignation towards the government. A country that gave you nothing, you owe nothing too. period.

23. usman adam

June 26, 2012 at 11:33 am

may Allah give u more wisdom.reality of life!is everyone is good to you Till you expect nothing from them and you are too good to them only till you fullfill thier expectation.we are proud of you my friend and we wish you the best of luck.ameen urs friendly Usman Adams

24. Sue

June 26, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Emmanuel, one serious advise as ur sister, u better stay in that US and contribute ur quota from there, if u come back and refuse to play ball, only God would save u, people who have come back to stand for what they believe have been killed by the very ones they tried to save, a good example is Dr Nurudeen Olowopopo who practiced medicine for 40 years in Chicago, USA and was recruited by tinubu to transform lasuth to world class, which he did and just two years after, he died in very controversial circumstancies, thank God his wife and kids were still in the US, so A Word is enough for the wise, my brother, Just hold on to God, go closer to God, only Him can secure your future

• sassycassie

June 26, 2012 at 2:12 pm

and what if God is leading him to come back to nigeria. I swear nigerians are thier own worst enemies. why must everything be about juju and all sorts of crap? How do we know said doctor wasnt even involved in shady deals? nigerians always looking for excuses. *sighs*

• Nomsky

June 26, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Pessimism is a very big problem that robs people the world over of their potentials…Emmanuel please go ahead and bag all the degrees you can and equip yourself with all the experiences you can lay your hands on Nigeria needs the likes of you and these experiences would be useful when you eventually decide to come home.The fate of Dr Nurudeen Olowopopo of blessed memory shall not be your portion in Jesus Name. May God order your steps.

• NALA!!!!

June 26, 2012 at 6:55 pm

And then when pple like him come back home after escaping the same system that wouldnt have allowed him achieve one tenth of what he is bound to achieve, fashola gives him the same treatment that he meted out to those doctors who dared to go on strike n the u actually have pple who support fashola’s action telling the doctors to go to hell. Now u all are telling the guy to come back to nigeria. come back n do what? The day an enabling environment is set up to allow these pple to flourish, the day these pple are paid what they are worth n the day we as nigerians change our mind set towards them, then he can come back home. I rmber during the fashola debaclewt the doctors, we actually had pple who supported sacking them forgetting that these pple are highly trained individuals wy yrs of experience under their belt n some of them might be like these guy who were trained outside our shores but decided to come back home to contribute n instead of fashola honoring an agreement he had wt them, he sacked them.
      This is not a matter of being pessimistic, its a matter of telling ourselves the truth n stop hiding our heads in the sand.if he were in nigeria, the system would have frustrated the hell out of him which was why his parents had the foresight to get them out of the country n seeing the way some ignorant pple supported fasholas actions during the doctors strike, if he was ur bro, would u encourage him to come back to a country that tells striking doctos that if they want to earn as much as those thieves in power, they should go n become politicians. The US places a lot of priority on education n do not allow talent to go to waste which is more than i can say for nigeria. After all GEJ is more interested in renaming UNILAG than actually fixing the infrasctucture in it. Bros, do not come back to nigeria cos even the pple u r trying to help will be the ones to tell u to go to hell if u ask for better pay just cos i their twisted minds, they think u should be working for free. DO NOT COME BACK HERE. The US made u who u are, give back to them n not to a country that would have destroyed u(Nigeria)

• Amanda

June 26, 2012 at 8:40 pm

@ NALA well said. Totally agree with you.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

June 27, 2012 at 1:34 pm

@ Nala, you aint said nothing but the truth. Come to Nigeria so that some old men who’re way past the legal retirement age and still trying to screw the system any which way can ask why this “small boy” thinks he can come and tell them what to do? Heck no. Many of us who choose to follow our own career paths outside that country know exactly what we’re missing….

25. Okee-Igbo

June 26, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Congrats to the man whose childhood proved him indigent but courage prized him intelligent.

26. iyabo

June 26, 2012 at 12:15 pm

stay put in America to get the experience and income you will surely need when u decide to come home “to join hands with the leaders”

27. Boo

June 26, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Now this is an achiever worth profiling. Congrats Emmanuel !!! And oh he went to my high school…goooooooooooo AFCS

• diamond

June 27, 2012 at 12:18 am

it’s thrilling to know he went to AFCS. AFCS has always done well, especially in cowbell maths competition and JETS competiton. I just hope they are maintaining the standards.
      Well done, Emma. You’ve made us all proud.

28. choclate

June 26, 2012 at 12:39 pm

MEDICINE IN YALE! WOWW! CONGRATS!! MAY GODS AWESOME GRACE CONTINUE TO BE WITH UU!

29. The White List

June 26, 2012 at 1:13 pm

WOW!!! That’s so impressive! Kudos to him! Talk about a brilliant way to silence the haters eh?

30. doppleganger

June 26, 2012 at 1:23 pm

phenomenal! and that you would like to go back to nigeria is even more amazing as there are many nigerians out there who have achieved so much and not thought about going back home…

you’re a STAR! Way to go!

31. UsaveOne

June 26, 2012 at 1:35 pm

32. remi

June 26, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Good luck in everything!

33. traveller

June 26, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Congratulations Emmanuel! I am a Nigerian in Diaspora and I know how difficult it is to gain admission into medical school here. Yet, you were accepted into several incredible schools….what a blessing! Now go get ’em in medical school! God who has brought you this far will take you to higher places!

34. Nomsky

June 26, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Wao!!! What a breath of fresh air. Congratulations to Emmanuel and Nigerians in the Diaspora. I have always known and strongly believed that Nigerians are extremely intelligent people, its just a shame they tend to put their intelligence in the negative direction. Am so happy to hear that a Nigerian broke a positive record for a change.Am very proud of your my brother and I pray you would be a source of inspiration to the younger generation.

35. Naija Diva

June 26, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Congrats and so proud of my fellow Nigerian broda doing big things. As a public health specialist born and raised in the U.S. I remember the hurtful periods of name calling like you experienced and what hurt the worse was that it was from our fellow black brothers and sisters. But my mother always showed us loved when we came home and told us to be proud of our African culture and I owe it to her because I am AfroOptomist and have so much love for my country. After I finished my MPH I came back to work in Nigeria. I am so happy to hear that you are willing to come back to NIgeria and even take up a leadership role to ensure we have a healthier nation. God bless you and keep our head up:)

• Anon

June 26, 2012 at 7:41 pm

How have you been able to assimilate or practice public health in Nigeria. I also have a degree in public health and want to go back to nigeria and work but I have no idea where to start.

• DrDodiey

June 26, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Thanks so much for being kind… let most of us do this public health and come back and with many hands we’ll use prevention to solve the problem. They’ll ‘eat up’ the budget allocations to health but by then we would hav stopped most of the harm from happening in the first place.

36. nich

June 26, 2012 at 3:15 pm

who said God may be leading him to nija………….God is ot leading him to any nigeria…….God wants to bless him in america….not to lead him to any useless country….

• laide

June 26, 2012 at 6:11 pm

take it easy..naija go better!

37. Rabi

June 26, 2012 at 3:23 pm

you really persevered all d assaults and discriminations. the Lord will avenge for you. Congratulations!!!

38. Ndidi

June 26, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Congratulations Emmanuel!!! I have a feeling we will hear more great things about him in the future. He must find his name very fitting.

39. RAI99

June 26, 2012 at 4:15 pm

It just shows that with an enabling enviroment, Nigerian CAN & WILL EXCEL, GOVT should learn from this success story, in naija he would have just been another graduate looking for addmission. SO MANY WOULD BE SUCCESS STORIES ARE ROOMING THE HALL OF UNIVERSITY CAMPUSES LOOKING FOR ADMINSSION. CONGRATS EMMANUEL U BROKE LOOSE!!!!! the sky is just the starting point

40. Agape

June 26, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Congratulations Emmanuel! You are an inspiration to me and many others!

41. me

June 26, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I barely saw this story on your homepage, please replace the viv-la-resistance model with his picture on the homepage and make the story more prominent. Inspire.

• laide

June 26, 2012 at 6:12 pm

yeah dats true..lets have more inspiring pictures..nt just fashion

42. Klaire

June 26, 2012 at 5:18 pm

God bless you and thank you for planning to give back to your country!

43. nwando

June 26, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Congratulations! Keep the flag flying high for Naija. Amidst all the bad press Nigeria gets, it’s heartwarming to read about things like this. I wish you even greater success in your further studies and in your personal life. God bless you!

44. funmi

June 26, 2012 at 10:25 pm

AM so proud of you, its really not easy making a good grade in schools like this. God will increase u.

45. lilly

June 26, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Congrats!!! so proud of him and so proud that i’m a Nigerian.

46. Godsland kenneth

June 27, 2012 at 1:59 am

Wow, dat boy is really following my steps. Thank God for the Igbos if other tribes were like this we should know where we could have been by now. Congrates boy we’re soooooooo proud of you.

• aj

July 13, 2013 at 6:51 pm

other tribes are excelling also!

47. NNENNE

June 27, 2012 at 2:33 am

Good job ,Emmanuel.
    A lot of Igbo kids (I can only talk about those I know) are doing great things in diaspora.Unfortunately, a few are drift away too.
    At some point, we can’t all run away from home.Home is where the love is.
    Contrary to the believe of an average Nigerian youth, there is no perfect world.
    Great places are all built by people.

• sassycassie

June 27, 2012 at 9:15 am

my point exactly. great places are built by great people. People often get the leaders they deserve. Some of the nigerians commenting negatively on their country are part of the problem. People make up a country. If every nigerian contributes in their own little way our dear country will become a orce to reckon with. lillte drops make a mighty ocean. we dont all have to work for the government. The harvest is plenty but the labourers ar few.

48. NNENNE

June 27, 2012 at 2:34 am

” drifting”

49. Chattyzee

June 27, 2012 at 3:46 am

(In Waje’s voice)…i’m so inspired….

50. L.A Chick

June 27, 2012 at 4:14 am

Wow, this GPA is impressive! Congratulations!!! You are an inspiration. In fact, I declare, you are my role model!!!! You have a great major as well, neuroscience is really fascinating and exciting!! I am leaning towards behavioral neuroscience but all the same, you are my role model from now on… I am sure you will be among the people who will make great discovery in that field… My brother as for this #[email protected] who punched you in the face, I am not surprised. Many akata cannot stand Africans especially when you do good for yourself. Thank God not all of them are like that but God knows too many of them have this stupid attitude towards Africans. Anyways shah, may Baba God continues to bless you abundantly!

51. Grace

June 27, 2012 at 6:14 am

Up lily field festac emma Aunty blessing and every body in our class are proud of you all umuahia stand up for emma

52. Lucy

June 27, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Some of y’all are just tripping. Patriotism or allegiance to a country aside, what exactly has Nigeria done for him regarding his education, that you feels he owes the country anything. Because his nationality is Nigerian, and then. That is just circumstances of birth. Where you are born and spent your early years is a whole different ball game from where you developed as a fully fledged adult who can contribute to society. Your affinity or responsibility should be to that region, wheter it is still in Nigeria (assuming, you were born and bred and lived all your life in Nigeria), or you relocated abroad. Like a previous commenter said, America made him what he is today, he should give back to that country. Yes he went to school initially in a ghetto, but that school was free paid for by the government (Strike 1 against Nigeria), he got a scholarship to Johns Hopkins, paid for by Americans, with money made in the American system (Strike 2). Now he is going to Yale on a scholarship also paid for by an American Insitituiton (Strike 3). So please tell me, what he owes Nigeria, please tell me. I can bet he was born in a private hospital, in Lagos paid for by his parents, as we are our own local government, his parents mmust have paid for everything he needed, even the car to take him to school was private, he went to a private school in Festac, pad for by his parents, then he went to Air Force (yes a government school, but I bet his parents still paid fees, yes the fees may have been subsidised by the govt, but that is all the government has done for him in the span of his educational life. So pls jare, what does he owe Nigeria. He owes his parents and America, by being a fantastic doctor, someone who can contribute meaninfully to the field of Neuroscience, and hopefully find a cure to some Neurological diseases that Americans will benefit from. So pls, be objective abeg, patriotism be damned. Our own government are not acting like they owe us anything. Stealing with impunity, u are now asking someone to come back home and help fix Nigeria. Say wetin. Mschew

• NancyPeters

June 27, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Lucy you just took the words right from my mouth.

• brownie

June 29, 2012 at 5:13 pm

It is no wonder Nigeria remains the way it is, especially if everyone has your mentality and mindset. Agreed he doesn’t owe Nigeria anything but if he chooses to come back here and help his country, that is his business. It is not your responsibility to tell him who he owes or does not owe allegiance to. if he also decides he does not want to come back to Nigeria, that is fine. The choice is his…not yours or anybody else here and certainly not mine either! For someone talking about objectivity, you could certainly do with a dose of your own advice!

53. kemi

June 27, 2012 at 5:26 pm

we should all be proud of him. yes he may not have got much from nigeria initially but maybe if he had not faced so many obstacles, he may not have done so well. if he had been born in the us and brought up there with ok parents he probably wont have been so determined to do so well. the true mark of a great achiever is the ability to overcome so many obstacles.great obstacles. every great person you meet became so as a result of them trying to overcome great obstacles. and yes he is nigerian. if they had put ‘igob’ man in the caption how many people in the world would even know who an igbo man is. but when you say nigeria, everyone knows.if people are so quick to point the ir fingers at nigerians who disgrace their country nigeria everytime then why should we not be proud of those who make us proud. lets encourage others to emulate this example. not every nigerian hero will be at the world stage but the most important thing is to encourge the youth to try and be proud to be nigerian. its enough that when nigerians hear of him they are encouraged to do better. even if we all cant be academic greats, its enough for us to make a difference in our enviroment no matter how small. its not the great ones among us that come few and far in between its the little differences that we all make to improve our lot , our country that makes the real difference. i beg i am so proud of him. we should thank God that we have more people making nigeria proud today than those who are disgracing us all. God bless nigeria .

• Lucy

June 27, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I never said we shouldn’t be proud of him, I am proud of him as an INDIVIDUAL, to have achieved such, not as a Nigerian. That is my point, we shouldn’t claim anything, because Nigeria isn’t responsible for his success. If he was a Somalian, or even a Russian, I will still be proud of such a person to achieve such, especially as I am also in the medical field. My issue is, we should stop claiming affinity or feel any connection with him because he is a Nigerian. Just the way we will distance ourselves from Nigerians that commit crimes abroad (in fact we should feel even more connection to them (in a good way) because it was our society that we live in and grew up in, that raised such human beings, and we should feel sad that these are the products of our society, and work hard in our own families, not to raise such people). This article should have read Emmanuel Ohuabunwa, got the best result, not a Nigerian Emma Ohuabunwa. Its like saying the Kenyans should be claiming Obama, come on. All black people felt something great when he was elected, that I will agree with, a black man with such obstacles got such a result from Johns Hopkins. The Nigerian classification mba mba, i disagree with. Especially as 9ja didn’t contribute to his education. If he was on a Nigerian Government scholarship and got such a result, by all means, tag him as Nigerian. This guy is basically an American, someone who lived there since secondary school, his mentality, attitude, personality has been nurtured in the American society. His drive to succeed, is something that is entwined in the American dream. The Nigerian dream is to get to positions of power and either steal or trod down on people below you. The big man’s syndrome, if i may use that term. I disagree, you are born with the talents that you have, yes the environment may change the course of your destiny, but only if you allow it. Quoting you “but maybe if he had not faced so many obstacles, he may not have done so well. if he had been born in the us and brought up there with ok parents he probably wont have been so determined to do so well. ” Erm, he faced more challenges in the US, in fact his lot was better here during his formative years. Lily Fields is not a school in the Ghetto, and Air Force Ibadan was full of middle class children. His parents were obviously ok parents, if he went to school in the ghetto, so your argument is flawed in that respect

54. Lovinit

June 27, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Congrats…U av made everyone proud. More grease to ur elbow.

55. Unity

June 27, 2012 at 6:42 pm

It’s up to individual to want to go back to Nigeria or not. A lot of things need to be fixed back home, but it’s not that easy. America is a great country, with opportunities that no other country offers. After he graduates, he has no choice but to work here in the system first. I don’t think he necessarily meant, move back to Nigeria permanently. He probably means visit or starts a project out there. My uncle, said the same thing going back to Nigeria to help after his residency. But, he quickly realizes, it’s better to stay here. What he does now, he goes to Nigeria every year with a group of doctors, nurses, etc to treat people and educate them. Nigerian government is doing nothing to encourage Nigerians in the Diaspora to come back home. I’m not obligated to be that patriotic to a country, that proves they don’t care for the people. It’s a failed country. I still encourage many successful Nigerians in the diaspora to get together and speak out more about the major issues facing Nigeria. We can’t give up, our voices needs to be heard. We don’t have to be physically be in Nigeria, we can do it from anywhere.

56. Osas

June 27, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Emma, I am so proud of you, this is a must read for my children God bless u

57. Uche

June 27, 2012 at 8:34 pm

He has made the Nigerian community in the Baltimore Metropolitan Area very proud. Now parents are going to compare their children with him and I think that is a good thing. We need to celebrate Nigerians who are attaining such educational feats. And I do not wish to sound parochial, but I am very happy that he hails from Abia State!

58. M

June 27, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Printed out this article to give to my children and I will constantly refer to it, once more thanks for the article. God bless and keep Emmanuel

59. treasure

June 28, 2012 at 1:39 am

congratjulations. i know this is not your best. soar higher

60. Zizy

June 28, 2012 at 6:01 am

God bless you Emmanuel! Dis is wot we need in this country, more pple to inspire the young ones.. Wow! Dis young man is going to Yale to do Medicine! Infact I’m amazed. May God continue to bless you.

61. adesoro olumide peter

June 28, 2012 at 11:22 am

we’ve got d best brains. proud of 9ja

62. Rashida

June 28, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Am so inspired. U made us so proud we nid pple lyk u. congrat bro kip d flag flyin hi. Emmy more palmoil to ur elbow

63. ejiro

June 28, 2012 at 6:38 pm

proud of u nd proud for 9ja

64. kiki

June 28, 2012 at 11:51 pm

i finished nursing school with a 3.8 gpa, how come there is no news on me lol

65. ao

June 29, 2012 at 1:28 am

Igbo Kwenu!!! Congrats Emma! I graduated from the Johns Hopkins University (homewood campus) a few years back. Trust and believe that Emma earned every bit of that impressive gpa. JHU is competitive school and the pre-med program is the most cut throat in the US…in fact, the world. I know first hand. And yes, we Igbos will be claiming this Emma whether he likes it or not. Lol!!!

• NancyPeters

June 29, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I am currently doing my residency in John Hopkins. I will be finishing next year. It’s nice seeing other alums.

• ao

June 29, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Yeah!!! Sending you positive energy over the internet!

66. k

June 29, 2012 at 1:35 am

wow I am proud of you .but pleas honey, do not come back home please dont

67. nigerian gossip council

June 29, 2012 at 1:35 am

so funny….cos it is a good thing everyone wants to take share in the glory….if it is something that deals with corruption believe my all these other tribes would have nailed it down to Igboman syndrom……but now the story is different…so funny

68. Diiiiiiiiiii

June 29, 2012 at 2:19 am

Congrats my Emmanuel bros…..but this is so funny…cos it is a good thing everyone wants to take share in the glory….if it is something that deals with corruption believe me all these other tribes would have nailed it down to Igboman syndrome……but now the story is different…so funny….abu m ezigbo nwafo Igbo…Ndi Igbo Kwenu..!!!!!!!!

69. Show some love

June 29, 2012 at 9:45 am

I am so dissapointed in teh above comments. WHo do you expect to change teh country. It is You and I. How can you tell him not to come back home. How will teh country imporve if people like him do not coem to make change. Do u know how many lives may be saved as a result of him coming home to do something abotu teh healthcare sector or do you know how many lives will be lost if he doesnt. God blessed him for a purpose and let God lead him.

• NancyPeters

June 29, 2012 at 12:40 pm

It’s because Nigeria will frustrate the heck out of you. When you have lived or been to a country where the system works, and when you work hard you see the fruit of it-you don’t need to kill yourself or have high blood pressure to achieve what you want to do. Moving back to Nigeria is like going backwards. The system doesn’t work. The guy can decide to do maybe yearly volunteer
      work in Nigeria. Also it’s because Nigeria is a place with people that are not appreciative of people that have given back in the past. It’s hard to fight blood and sweat for a country like Nigeria because nobody will give a sh*t about you. At the end of the day it’s the guys decision. Whatever God has called him to do; go for it.

• aj

July 13, 2013 at 7:05 pm

your spelling is wack!

70. Mi

June 29, 2012 at 10:24 am

Congratulations, success due to hard work and determination must be celebrated. A lot of Nigerians do better in the diaspora because our environment makes us creative due to the limited resources available so when we do get to where there are resources and an enabling environment, the sky is the limit. I went from being an average student to the top performer in my class just because the lectures were delivered with quality in mind, I was challenged to think outside the box and I had access to materials for research. If only the government can turn our nation around and improve quality of our schools, in a few years we would have truly outstanding people who can take this nation from a forever developing to a developed nation…It is not rocket science.

• L.A Chick

June 29, 2012 at 9:33 pm

This is soooo right! I feel you… In the right educational environment and ressources, each and every individual can shine!

71. PFL

June 29, 2012 at 11:04 am

Great achievements. This goes to show that Nigerians are intelligent people and you can get on in making your dreams a reality.
    you asked for it and here it is. the PFL 2 for 1 promo. take advantage of this opportunuty while offer last and get on course in making your dream a reality.register with a family member or friend and only for the price of one or bring someone along to register and you both enjoy 50% discount with the most experienced international education consultancy in Nigeria.
    remember to follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/#1pfl.nigeria
    and on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pflnigeria

72. TM

June 29, 2012 at 11:47 am

Well done Emmanuel ,may d good lord continue to give u divine understanding and knowledge.I pray for ur own kind of intelligency for my children so that they will do this country proud in their own time .AMEN

73. Tosin

July 1, 2012 at 2:14 pm

eeyaaa, great job Brov!
    Neuroscience could be really exciting too, so have fun. Can’t nobody hold you down, right? Much respec’.

74. oge

July 2, 2012 at 7:11 pm

75. alexie

July 4, 2012 at 1:32 pm

WOW!!!! Im so proud of my country….. You comin to Naija is ur decision buh if i were u, i wouldnt listen 2 all dis stories,ill simply follow my hart….nd i op u make d best decision

76. emmanuel

July 4, 2012 at 3:38 pm

KEEP IT UP BRO GOD WILL ALWAYS BE WITH U.IVE TASTE OF STUDYING ENGLISH IN THE U.S.GOD BLESS U

77. destineddupsy

July 4, 2012 at 8:30 pm

congratulations on ur victory emmanuel,my advice to you is to remain in the united states, nigeria is very unstable u will always be a nigerian. so thats a good thing but just remain there,abeg i am definately doing the same nigeria GOVERNMENT bullshits its youth and treat them like trash which is devastating so why fight for a cause that cant be won,stay back work and make good dollars and secure your future and that of ur family and help nigerian youths from afar it would pay you better thats exactly what am going to do after my masters GOODLUCK.

78. Olubukkie

July 6, 2012 at 11:22 pm

So hapi 2 read this post, from a pot so black § downgraded “Nigeria”, God’s put gifts in each one of us irespectiv of tribe or color, may God help u § us al 2 be worthy Ambassadors of Nigeria, CONGRATULATIONS!

79. Beegul

November 19, 2012 at 2:27 pm

hummmm…Ms gay 9ja, quoting u “Am sick n tired of ds stupid name Nigeria taking credit of good news like ds” u are so pathetic. u are tire of Nigeria yet ur display name here is MS GAY 9JA??? u are so fake….. u had better wake up from u r slumber, cos NIGERIA has come to stay if u are not proud to be a nigeria go and hug d transformer nonsense….

80. bright

November 25, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Congratulations oops am glad that you have made Nigeria as a country has a great name. God bless you. I like to wish I know you in person. Remain bless bro

81. Werelobari

October 30, 2014 at 9:53 am

Let’s not forget that the word “NIGERIA” is a collective noun; we all are the Nigeria. The problems we’re having in our country today has nothing to do with the name NIGERIA but ourselves(NIGERIANS). I believe Nigeria will be better.