News

Her Career, Being Famous, Misconceptions about her & Garri! Must Watch Golden Icons Interview with Ghanaian Actress Nadia Buari here on BN

Emma Emerson & Nadia Buari

Ok, it’s official, we here at BellaNaija are so loving Nadia Buari‘s down-to-earth attitude. The award winning Ghanaian actress who has starred in over 50 movies sits down with Golden Icons TV host Emma Emerson and speaks to her about her love for strawberries, her favorite colleague to work with Majid Michel, Beyonce, Paris, her career and yes one more thing garri (Yep, you heard us right). Watch one of the most hilarious and revealing interviews you will see on Africa’s pace setter for all things entertainment, fashion, lifestyle, music and more – BellaNaija.com

Here are some details Nadia Buari shared in the Interview!

The Real Nadia Buari – When asked to differentiate her real self from the characters she plays in movies, Nadia kept it short and simple saying “I would say the real Nadia is just a normal girl, just a home-body girl, a very quiet, shy, reserved kinda girl”

She definitely drinks Garri – Emma Emerson asked her if she actually doesn’t drink garri because in D’banj’s hit single Oliver Twist, he sang and I quote “I like Nadia Buari but she no dey drink garri”. Nadia said “I think you are like the zillionth person that has asked me this question. First of all I am African, so I definitely drink garri, I mean but I think when I listen to that track I really liked it, I think either it probably meant more than what you heard or he just wanted to rhyme like Buari and garri, either one of them I do drink garri”

The Best and Worst Part of being a celebrity – Just like every celebrity in the constant watchful eye of the public, Nadia also shares what she likes about being a famous actress and what she doesn’t like. To her the best part is being able to get contracts, being a brand ambassador and making money from what she loves doing (acting). The cons of being a celebrity to her is that your privacy is taken away and you are not really yourself because people want you to be a particular way and you are constantly being criticised.

Big Misconception about her – Tabloids and movie critics always have a way of saying negative things about celebrities, Nadia says the biggest misconception about her is that she is arrogant and not friendly.

Watch the Interview here!

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

1. LOLA BEYE

June 6, 2012 at 4:58 pm

so this is the girl they said is going on with dbanj? not bad

2. Gimmer

June 6, 2012 at 5:00 pm

she can’t act her way out of a plastic cup tho…

• Seyi

June 6, 2012 at 6:55 pm

i LOVE YOU FOR THIS COMMENT – AT LEAST YOU ARE NOT A PUSSY LIKE REST WHO DEEM OTHERS AS GREAT ACTS BASED ON FINE LOOKS. SHE CANNOT ACT A LICK.

• NOLLY

June 7, 2012 at 4:50 am

really? i think she is a good actress

3. Brittle Paper

June 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm

4. Kimbelee

June 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I know Nadia and trust me, she aint nice one bit! she looks down on people especially at one of her premieres, i tried to get her attention but she chose to greet the popular faces next to me, she even refused a pic saying i wasnt dressed well. She’s a nasty piece of work always carrying her mother everywhere with her.

• TobechiD

June 7, 2012 at 2:13 am

Um, there’s nothing wrong with carrying her Mum everywhere. You just discredited yourself with that statement.tobechidaniel.blogspot.com

• Naveah

June 11, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I definitely AGREE with you about Nadia. She is very rude, condescending and full of herself. When I told someone about the experience I had with her, they claimed that she was shy, I don’t believe it one bit because this wasn’t the case of a fan/celebrity moment, I happen to be sitted between two industry members, speaking with them about industry matters when she just cut into the conversation with a single “excuse, me…may I just speak with so-so and so”…she did it twice, I just simply blamed it on her upbringing! And the whole night, while the likes of Stephanie Okereke were dancing, mingling and speaking with people in the VIP section, she sat there looking her nose down on people and when she felt that she wasn’t garnering enough attention (or could it be her nose caught frost bite), she got up and left without so much as a “good bye” to her colleagues. If she wasn’t light skinned with a pretty face who for send am because quite frankly that is what has helped her get to where she is, it isn’t her talent because she is lacking in that department, truth be known!

5. didi

June 6, 2012 at 5:28 pm

going out with dbanj again? i know she dated essien n was later rumoured to be dating fally ipupa and den ex delta queen Nora’s husband. dis dbanj news is news to me.

6. Audrey

June 6, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I love Nadia. I just wish she’ll drop that fake American accent.

7. chinco

June 6, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Ok so if she drinks garri, wats d big deal? That doesn’t make anyone down 2 earth. U either like it or u don’t(btw I don’t, prefer it in morsels with good soup #insert big smile#). The dbanj story I don’t believe (didn’t watch the interview though so don’t know wat else she might have said)

8. akosua

June 6, 2012 at 7:00 pm

As a ghanaian the one thing i cannot stand bout her is her faking of the accent intertwining the british and the american.

Be yourself nadia and stop faking it – we know you want to go into hollywood but please be yourself. You are a legon educated girl and went to an accra international school like the rest of us – speak like legon girls speak – no need to slang. Yvonne Okoro and Martha and Majid and JD speak normal eloquent articulate Ghanaian accent – all the RRRRRRRRRRR mi si eyer nkwasiasem – There is no need for it – Be yourself. It sounds annoying in the ears. Wu pri wu hu dudu. Abai.

• fokasibe

June 7, 2012 at 8:48 am

Hahahahaha You made me laugh with this one….

• Adora

June 7, 2012 at 3:32 pm

she didnt even go to AIS, she was at Mfantisman Girls secondary school for her SSS.

9. akosua

June 6, 2012 at 7:04 pm

only insecure people fake their accent to prove something. So sad.

10. sammy

June 6, 2012 at 7:11 pm

wat is wiv the fake accent like reli???? its so annoying couldn’t even bare to listen to the interview pass 4 mins was completely put off

11. Janded

June 6, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Most versatile ke? ok o

12. naa

June 6, 2012 at 8:02 pm

i,really believe this lady is a very shy person,and not arrogant like most people think.

13. iamfascinating

June 6, 2012 at 8:21 pm

nice, I like her.

Do you have an uneven skintone, acne-prone skin or you just wish to defy the aging process? answers and products are now available at http://www.thestunninglady.blogspot.com

14. ara

June 6, 2012 at 8:22 pm

where did she get her accent from? to my knowledge she has never lived outside ghana… fake horrible american accent…

15. Benease

June 6, 2012 at 8:36 pm

That wig is not doing her any justice!

16. Benease

June 6, 2012 at 8:38 pm

The interviewer is stunning!

17. jane

June 6, 2012 at 9:55 pm

her accent is annoying..its nt evn real

18. faith

June 6, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I love her beauty!

19. dontmention

June 7, 2012 at 12:15 am

Wow…..I definitely don’t understand y there is so much hare directed towards dis girl. She is not forming no accent. I know Bc am in her shoes. She just has a very c lean tongue n good diction. Am Nigerian n iv never travelled but people always ask me if I hv been to de States n dat I sound like one. Honestly I rarely watch western movies Bc am so into ma own, Hollywood n I don’t pay attention to “the American accent “.

20. dontmention

June 7, 2012 at 12:16 am

I meant my own nollywood ..n u know an arrogantt person wen u see one n she is not one of them. Jealousy no go leave wuna ..I tire. Instead of thanking God for her n pray for Ur’s.stop hating

21. dontmention

June 7, 2012 at 12:26 am

Wuna don hang on Nadia buari say she de form accent, wuna no hear how Emma emmerson de interviewer di talk? Y wuna no say she di form? Good diction n well articulated girls. N btw, Nadia ‘s hair is fly n fits her perfect. All dis fashion police way no body employam. Just de bad belle de babe for nothing..go do something make we see u too n she is a good actress by the way too. Ask for a script n interpret it n lets see u out there,den we go know say acting Na easy job.

22. Sidney

June 7, 2012 at 12:50 am

The eff? Choose one accent, Beyonce!

23. Anon

June 7, 2012 at 1:14 am

The interviewer is a hottie. Nadia is a cutie. She just comes off not that nice of a person, she looks down on people and thinks being light skin is special or something. She can’t act to save her life, she’s too busy trying to be Bey, it makes sense, they both can’t act.

24. Gimmer

June 7, 2012 at 1:14 am

ok…i just watched the interview and i have to give it to her that her accent is consistent and easy to understand unlike Tonto…can’t hear a darn thing she is saying

25. Amber

June 7, 2012 at 2:18 am

I don’t think she will be nice.therez a bit of nasty in her

26. Gimmer

June 7, 2012 at 3:36 am

She beautiful. Haters a.k.a her fellow gollywood and nollywood actress: go suck a dick. Hiss.

• Gimmer

June 8, 2012 at 12:18 am

BellaNaijam pls try and moderate vulgar language. it’s very “un” Bellanaija-like. thanks for your consideration

27. CEO

June 7, 2012 at 5:26 am

the interviewer’s wig…dang! Nadia is pretty but she can’t act

28. treasure

June 7, 2012 at 8:21 am

U pple shud let her b fakin or no fakin of Acent won’t chang d fact dat she is a star

29. LPS

June 7, 2012 at 9:35 am

30. kem

June 7, 2012 at 9:39 am

trust me if she is faking the accent, then she must really be good in it, love her doh, fresh, hot and sassy……

31. Couture By Makioba

June 7, 2012 at 10:04 am

fake accent or not …i love her

32. Alexa

June 7, 2012 at 10:22 am

What’s with all the hate!!!! Acting or no acting, she is reaping her dollars so stop

33. Gbemi

June 7, 2012 at 11:04 am

Did this nadia live in America or did she get her FONE from dstv channels? What is with this FONE???????

34. Yori

June 7, 2012 at 12:07 pm

As a professional voice coach, I can tell you for sure that Nadia is not using ‘her own voice’ and she is speaking in a coached accent. She has pulled it of well though

35. alexie

June 7, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Enuff sed, shes a star and peoples role model, shes not a bad actress nd ha accent befits ha personality, stop d talks abeg

36. Sandi

June 7, 2012 at 12:44 pm

haba dat she doesn’t sound igbotic like the rest of u lot does not make her diction fake. damn haterz.

37. justsaying

June 7, 2012 at 2:23 pm

@dontmention like you said ” i have never travelled out” that is why you cant tell she is speaking with english and american accent. by the way you dont need to travel out to know that she is speaking with both accents. olodo

38. temi

June 7, 2012 at 2:46 pm

i can testify to the fact that it’s not everyone that lives in naija/ghana that have the native accent. on my last trip to naija, i found myself asking a family friend why he didnt have a naija accent. i kinda felt stupid afterwards, so if she is faking her accent, then she is doing it very well. idc if she was coached. chick is pretty damn consistent, and like someone said, her accent is waaaaaaaaay better than that of tonto’s. maybe tonto should reach out to her voice coach. HA! but on a serious note, the chick can’t act if her life depended on it. i cringe every time i see her in a movie, and she will not make it to hollywood. harsh, but true. versatile? lmao, that was a joke.

39. Soraya

June 7, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Wah!! Nadia! She sounds like she swallowed an american… Infact 2 americans! I know she normally has the accent but ladies and gentlemen what’s going on here is the Communication Accomodation Theory. Nadia is enhancing her accent because subconsciously she thinks Emma Emmerson will understand her better. She’s trying to accomodate Emma.

Eish Nadia!! Be yourself! You’re pretty! Don’t force the accent

40. love

June 7, 2012 at 4:08 pm

My cousins in Nigeria don’t have the typical thick Naija accent. Who cares, if Nadia speaks with an American accent, maybe she wants to stand out. It actually doesn’t sound too forced. Genevieve and Omotola have a clear nice Naija accent, but not everyone will fit into that category. I meet Nigerians who’s been in the U.S for years, and still have the thick accent. Nothing wrong with both, just speak clearly and that’s all that matters. Nigerians have too much time on their hand, picking on everyone who doesn’t have a thick accent is faking. I was born in Nigeria, came to the U.S when I was 7 now 26yrs old, and still have some Naijas accuse me of faking my accent. Oh, you are not a real naija, be yourself. Get out of here, having a thick accent, wearing an African shirt, going to Naija parties does not make you more Naija than I am. My love and patriotism is not how much I shout Naija till I die but it lies in me going to Nigeria every year doing things to help the less privileged out especially the children.

41. Candee on de nile

June 8, 2012 at 1:36 am

Nadia is a business woman….GET UR MONEY HUN!

42. Jasmine

June 8, 2012 at 8:36 am

HAHAHA, very funny comments, between, my joy in reading all these interviews or article online, is the manner at which most of you make a big deal over nothing and tend to fight and argue over eachothers comment Therefore diverting the main topic/news/article/interviews that initiated the comments in’d first instance. Very funny, i enjoy it, thanks y’all for all your comments, either nasty or good, which ever but they all keep me smiling and going. These comments already feels like good nollywood stars, fighting in movies (meaning you’all can be very good actresses/actors ). I find it very interesting and y’all entertain me. Good work!!!

43. gbeborun

June 8, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Seriously the dodgy american accent made the interview painful to watch *cringe* just put it on mute and watch Nadia’s beautiful face.

44. tyblast

June 9, 2012 at 5:04 pm

i tink its tyme for us to start paying attn to tins dat wil improve humanity lik discovering d cure for cancer,aids and it liks instead of paying so much attns on celebrities.dos pple cant heal d world for us.

45. Jen

June 9, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Nadia is cute, no argument but what I cannot stand is her LAFA (in Ghana it means locally acquired foreign accent). Haven’t heard that she acts the snob. One thing for sure though,she can’t act her way out of a paper bag.

46. christy

June 9, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Her acting stand out,much more dan our own actress,she so fluent,if dat is faking,den she s good.

47. Ady!!!!

June 12, 2012 at 1:07 am

Haters!!! Sure most of this critics don’t knw where their country’s borders are…wait till u see wat ur mates do with Englishhh….

48. Ady!!!!

June 12, 2012 at 1:08 am

these*

49. Funmilayo

June 15, 2012 at 3:59 am

I do think Nadia B is pretty, i dont think her acting is all that unfortunatly and her interview was so boring she seemed like she was holding back. Seconcly her accecnt i just cant get my head round it like HAAHH its to strong and American accent for someone that hasnt lived their according to my knowledge. I just think its fake God forgive me if its not.