News

Have You been Experiencing Improved Power Supply in your Neighbourhood? Petroleum Minister says Power Supply would Steadily Improve till December

From my interactions with residents in the Lagos metropolis, power supply from the Power Holding Company of Nigeria has improved within the past few weeks. People now say they are ‘enjoying’ something close to constant power supply in their homes and offices and are giving kudos to the federal government and the electricity supply company for this.

Yesterday, the Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke announced major milestones in the Gas Supply Emergency Plan which has helped power generation to reach an unprecedented 4.4gw.

This comes four months after the declaration of the project with a 12 month timeline to address the misalignment in the nation’s gas to power aspirations.

Channels TV reports that Allison-Madueke was speaking at a news conference in Abuja where she attributed the increase in power generation to the improvement in gas supply.

She listed the items completed in the critical pipeline segments to include a Permanent Gas Supply Pipeline from Itoki to Olorunshogo in Ogun state, the 56km by 24inch escravos-warri gas pipeline – doubling the pipeline capacity and enhancing gas evacuation from escravos as well as the 130km by 36inch Oben to Geregu pipeline.

The minister assured Nigerians to expect continued growth over the current all-time peak recorded by the power ministry between now and December.

Also, there has been reports that the demand for diesel has reduced significantly over the past few weeks, causing the price of the product to drop by  6.05 percent. This follows a significant increase in power supply levels across the country, from the national grid, in the same period.

Businessday reports that diesel, which sold weeks back, for N165 per litre at fuel stations, now sells for N155, a drop of N10 per litre, a positive development for users and a pain for importers.

On Tuesday, the country hit a record level of 4,477 megawatts in power generation.

This is indeed a welcoming development and it is hoped that it can be sustained.

How has the power supply been in your area recently? Have you been experiencing improved power supply in your neighbourhood?

Photo Credit: www.xmaslightinvention.blogspot.com

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. ACCA

August 16, 2012 at 12:44 pm

NA LIE OOOOOOO I HAVE NOT SEEEN LIGHT IN A MI HOUSE FOR THE PAST 2 WEEKS

2. julie

August 16, 2012 at 12:49 pm

phcn has realy improvd unlyk previous tyms wen one hardly gets lyt for weeks.kudos to them we v bin avn constant supply since may!am so happy.

3. Kofo

August 16, 2012 at 1:04 pm

We haven’t had light since last friday. I was told PHCN are on strike in my area. No improvement. Shame! Shame! Shame!

4. ephee

August 16, 2012 at 1:06 pm

yes ooo.we av been enjoying light in somolu-bariga for over two weeks now constantly.i tout it was a joke.my fridge is over blocked with ice.hope its for real

5. moi

August 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm

It sbeen quite fair in my area. I pray they sustain this improvement $ make it permanent. There’s room for better!

6. ephee

August 16, 2012 at 1:08 pm

my office around FADEYI-AGIP-WAEC-JIBOWU has also been having CONSTANT LIGHT light for over 3 weeks too.up NEPA. lol

7. Buchi

August 16, 2012 at 1:08 pm

yesssssssssssssssss power supply has really improved in my area (Lawanson). i sha hope its not a dream anyway

8. mandy

August 16, 2012 at 1:08 pm

yes we have light like 24/7

9. BIMBY

August 16, 2012 at 1:12 pm

There’s been constant light in my area too. I was even thinking the cool weather has something to do with it.

10. Lora

August 16, 2012 at 1:14 pm

*Yimu*

11. damsel

August 16, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Improve for where?Not in Magboro side of Ogun state.

• oyin

August 16, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Move to Lagos State darling…lol

• Me2me

August 16, 2012 at 10:02 pm

LWKMD, on a more serious note they said Fed govt not state so she is in order. As usual im sure they are using Lagos to test

12. kyky

August 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm

its been supper excellent in my home and office in Abuja, KEEP IT UP !!!

13. LPS

August 16, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Wow!!! Happy to read these. E go better

14. mine

August 16, 2012 at 1:22 pm

its a big lie. Lekkii axis hasnt had light for 2 weeks same wit onikan

• Ife

August 16, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I dnt knw what part of lekki you live in thats y its good to be specific. I live in phase 1 and the last 2 weeks was quite good, the last 2 days however seems they are on strike o!!

15. Charity

August 16, 2012 at 1:25 pm

we have constant lyt in my area in ph

16. Oby

August 16, 2012 at 1:31 pm

It has not reached my area ooo! (Ago-palace way, close to diamond bank)

17. Chubby cheeks

August 16, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I think its true oo. We are always having power supply in my neighborhood now o unlike befor when we have to stay for weeks. I commend them truly

18. Tarry

August 16, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I can categorically tell you that power supply in my area (Bariga/Akoka) has improved tremendiously. Light never blink since Friday oooo. I hope its not a dream and i will wake up to hear up Nepa…lol.
    Now i rush home from the office cos am sure my living room is much more comfortable and cosy dan this stiff-neck leather called Executive chair…….”cant stop laughing”

19. mua

August 16, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Yessssss. power supply has improved so much that i wish they take

20. mua

August 16, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Yessssss. power supply has improved so much in my area(Okota). we now use 500 naira worth of fuel for one week against the three or Four thousand naira we used to. its really a good one. But here in Apapa(work place) reverse is the case.

21. anonymous

August 16, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Power has definitely improved in my area! I stay in Gbagada Phase One. They haven’t blinked for a day!

22. loi loi E

August 16, 2012 at 2:36 pm

@oby u lie o,in ago palace way femi killa str and alhaji agbeke str to be precise,there have been an improvement.The tins in my freezer are so blocked that i can even remove them expect i have to off it.i’m very happy for this new development and i pray it last.

23. loi loi E

August 16, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I mean Ago palace way okota

24. brandigest

August 16, 2012 at 2:43 pm

No light in Festac Town / Satellite Town since Sunday. But before Sunday we enjoyed extended hours of power supply. Keep branding. http://www.brandigest.wordpress.com

25. FUNMI

August 16, 2012 at 2:45 pm

..Whaoooooooooooooo.. Power has really improved in my area (DOPEMU)…but i think some areas are enjoying power while some are yet to e.g Ikorodu…My gen as not been on for the month of AUGUST . Had light since Sunday without a blinking…. Hope say no be campaign strategy for 2014 because we NO trust our politicians o …Let’s all hope for the best…Shalom

26. Chattyzee

August 16, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I’ve heard some people say that power has improved in their area. Especially in lagos. This is good development.

27. Buki

August 16, 2012 at 2:50 pm

For where,I stay at Ojodu,the last time I saw PHCN power was 7 days ago…………..before then,it was fair,but now terrible……….

28. Neka

August 16, 2012 at 3:09 pm

yes power has improved in my Garki Area, Abj.

29. joinmecelebrate

August 16, 2012 at 3:11 pm

The power supply has improved in my area in IBADAN, but come to think of it. i pay for their services ke? won jebi!

30. joy tasie

August 16, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Ther’s no light in my area at onike iwaya in yaba for the past one week at a strecth. It’s so fustrating

31. sylvy

August 16, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Yes, power supply has improved in my area- Fadeyi. However, it’s a common knowledge that we experience improve power supply during this period (rainy season) ,it’s been like this since 2007. I will wait till the rain is over to really know if actually they are working or they are trying to play us MUGU…..

32. Oladapo

August 16, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Light has been constant in my area for the past 15years oooo, never taken light in my area.
    Thamesmead Londodn.

• Me2me

August 16, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Clown

33. Pat zika

August 16, 2012 at 4:49 pm

No light in Festac Town / Satellite Town since Sunday. But before Sunday we enjoyed extended hours of power supply and believe they can just continue their good work !!!

34. JOHN

August 16, 2012 at 5:02 pm

THANK GOD NAIJA HAS SOME GOOD NEWS COMING OUT OF WE PRAY IT CONTINUES

35. naijasportsgists

August 16, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Dont mind them. The power situation in my area now is worse then what it used to be.

36. ty

August 16, 2012 at 5:31 pm

PHCN’s new light plan is half day on, three days off

37. Sisi O

August 16, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Maybe they’ve improved in Maiduguri or Lafia but not in my part of Lekki where we haven’t had power for over 8 days….

38. Adeola

August 16, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Same worse situation noni in my area…..Omole Estates/Ojodu, Berger.

39. wale

August 16, 2012 at 6:29 pm

so i guess it is time for those of us abroad to move back home.

40. Me

August 16, 2012 at 7:08 pm

As far as Sam Sonibare Estate in Surulere is concerned, this is a lie of the devil.

41. Toyin

August 16, 2012 at 7:21 pm

So after December, what happens? Go back to NEPA taking light every minute.

42. Ready

August 16, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I live in the Akowonjo/Shasha/Idimu axis, Alimoso LG. About a year ago, power supply used to be 2 days on, 1 day off which was pretty steady. Then it became 1 day on, and 1 day off. Now, sometimes the day on is 24 hrs and we don’t need the gen at all, or we just have none at all on our on day…so, I wouldn’t call it an improvement. But it’s been much worse.

43. princesszee

August 16, 2012 at 7:39 pm

It has really improved here in kaduna, kudos to them, I just hope they keep it up

44. MIss tee

August 16, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Magodo is perfect…..not used the generator since June, Combined use of NEpa and inverter……:)

45. Iris

August 16, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Well…not to sound like a wet blanket but electricity supply is ALWAYS much better in my area from July to December and it’s the same this year, so I’m sorry but let’s have this conversation again in March when there’s no rain

46. ayo la

August 16, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Its improved in my area dsc, warri. We have light everyday for at lst 18 to 20hrs. But we haven’t had light since yesterday evening

47. Benny Alli

August 16, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I opened my freezer before i typed this and was shocked to see that it is doing what it is made to do…Freeze…..this has been happening for the past 2 weeks……I had followed events in the power sector over the years and there are three reasons why i believe this quantum leap in MW generated can be sustained beyond the rainy season. Firstly, Nigeria has never generated over 4300MW of generation before. even at the height of the rainy season. I was listening to the Minister of power on CNBC Africa today and he mentioned that the hydro is now run at the minimum water supply level so that come dry season, even if the water drops, it will keep running at this output. Furthermore, i speak to many PHCN engineers and they tell me that facility are better maintained and serviced so they are running at optimal level…..The second reason is gas…..right now, gas is being made available to the power station and this has increased output……furthermore, more power plants are being built and commissioned and Independent power plants are coming up………finally, privatization…..the whole process should be finished in October when BPE wiill announce preferred bidders…you think what happened in the telecommunication sector is big? i tell you, power is bigger……Furthermore, a Canadian company has taken over management of TCN, the transmission company and you can be sure that will increase power. My prayer is that the privatization process concludes for the betterment of Nigerians. But the Unions, from what i gather in the news are bent on making this a tall dream…….The government has found the will and caurage to do the right thing….i pray it works……I live in the Lagos area and power is better…far better than any rainy season i can remember

48. Princess of Zion

August 16, 2012 at 9:30 pm

It’s good to see they are trying to evaluate their efforts by asking for feedback! I do look forward to the day when there will be constant electricity supply in Nigeria.

It’s the Celebration of Marriage Week, appreciate your spouse today!

49. Me2me

August 16, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I am scared to mention my area b4 them come take the light. but iv had constant light since feb 2011. If they take it its for 10mins and if its above that then there is an issue that will be corrected b4 48 hours and this happens rarely

50. feelitx

August 16, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Two weeks constant power at Anthony Village, Lagos. Kudos to GEJ and Prof. Nnaji.

51. Miss Natural

August 16, 2012 at 11:58 pm

We live in Ajah and the power supply recently has been incredible. For the 12 days that I was at home we had light constantly for 10 out of those days and according to my dad its been that way for a while. I have not experienced that kind of blissful power supply since 2000-20004 when we first moved to the area.

52. queenbee

August 17, 2012 at 2:35 am

Please why are we still having this conversation in 2012? We have abundant sun and wind in Nigeria, can we start harnessing these energies already for electricity? Cost of Solar panel have reduced in the past years.

53. chioma

August 17, 2012 at 7:45 am

For two months now we have spent just N3000 on fuel. Power has really improved in my area, gbagada. Pls Bart keep it up.

54. uniquelyisi

August 17, 2012 at 12:08 pm

This is one good news i pray would remain permanent.

55. klaw

August 17, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Even though it declined @ my area from june 11- may 2012 which saw influx of generators & the grinding noise.i have to confess that from june its been a lot more better.i cant honestly remember where the key to my generator house is??offcourse many 10x to GEJ & BART (klaw writes from maitama)

56. NNENNE

August 18, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I hope this improvement is all over Nigeria and not just the big cities…the major reason why Lagos is over populated. Everything is located there. The federal govt.then, did not spread infrastructure all over the states of Nigeria.

57. ONA

August 20, 2012 at 5:29 pm

We’ve had constant light for about a month now at Alaka, Surulere….on the very few occasions they take it, it does not last more than 10mins
    Hope this continues….It is well with Nigeria

58. sweetmouth

August 21, 2012 at 9:08 pm

constant light inogudu GRA…….i struggle to open my freezer…hmmnnn more grease to your elbows FGN

59. Chimezie T. Chibuzor

September 18, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I AM WRITING FROM 16 SEBILI KAZEEM STREET AGODO EGBE LAGOS. I AM LIVING IN A FLAT L HAVE JUST 3 FANS WITH NO AIRCONDITION. IN JUNE PHCN CHARGED ME N5,500 IN JULY N5,500 AND IN AUGUST N11,000 AND WE USE TO HAVE EPLEPTIC POWER SUPPLY. INITIALLY I USE TO PAY ABOUT N2000. L WANT PHCN TO INVESTIGATE THIS BECAUSE I AM A NIGERIAN THAT MY TOTAL SALARY IS NOT MORE THAN N32,000 PER MONTH WITH FAMILY. PRESENTLY L DON’T HAVE MEANS TO PAY THIS BILL. PLEASE HELP ME. MY NUMBER IS 08077534057

60. Chimezie T. Chibuzor

September 18, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I want to know why PHCN is charging me abnormally. l was billed N11,000 in August 2012. May be in September 2012 l may be billed N22,000. l am writing from 16 Sebili Kazeem Street Agodo Egbe Lagos. This is a great cry for rescue. Come to my aid please.