News

Innocent! Banker Yinka Johnson Released – Overwhelming Photo, Video & Eye Witness Evidence Prove She Did Not Run Over & Kill LATSMA Official Hammed Balogun

The Deceased, Hammed Balogun standing beside Yinka Johnson, the accused’s car

Over the weekend, the news broke that Stanbic IBTC Banker Yinka Johnson had been accused of murdering a LATSMA Official, Hammed Balogun.

You can read LATSMA’s account of the incident and Yinka’s account HERE

Over the last few days, eye witnesses came forward with photo evidence that illustrated that Yinka Johnson did not kill Hammed Balogun. Yinka has now been released and the murder case will not be pursued. She will be fined for violating the traffic rules by driving on a one-way road (the reason why the LATSMA officials stopped her car).

Yinka Johnson

According to BN sources, photographs showing the accused’s undamaged car (the car was impounded by LATSMA), photos showing the accused was on the other side of the road when the deceased was killed and finally, a video showing a green and white MOLUE bus running down the officer and speeding off were amongst vital pieces of evidence that cleared Yinka Johnson.

More details on this case will be updated on BellaNaija as they are made public.
We are glad that an innocent accused person has been released and hope that the real culprits are brought to justice. We also hope that the LATSMA officials who falsely accused Yinka Johnson are reprimanded.

We can only imagine how many more innocent people are languishing in detention and jail.

1. Princess of Zion

August 14, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Praise the Lord! I am so happy for her; thank God for the eye witnesses that came forward!

2. emi

August 14, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Thank God .. Now she can sue those stupid lastma officials. Next time they will do their job right, get the facts right and stop harassing innocent folks

3. eesha

August 14, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Thanking God for her and her family. She should sue LASTMA for emotional stress among other things.

4. Sandra

August 14, 2012 at 2:56 pm

oh thank God am relieved, May God Punish those idiots who emotionaly frustrated this woman…..thank God for you Yinka aleriue mo o…..pls be careful nxt time dear and take care of the lil baby…

5. Bob

August 14, 2012 at 2:57 pm

awesome

6. Ady!!!!

August 14, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Thank God!! Really happy for her and her family!!!!

7. ose

August 14, 2012 at 3:03 pm

finally!!!! thank God… am happy for her… All dese LASTMA pple sha …. smh

8. Bianca

August 14, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I so thank God for her that an eye witness came forward,what if an eye witness was lacking? Our government better get serious with installation of CCTV on our roads,I mean very good CCTV.

9. nickyminaj

August 14, 2012 at 3:04 pm

she should sue their asses for all its worth.

10. oluwabee

August 14, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Thank God! Silly people!

11. YummyMummy

August 14, 2012 at 3:06 pm

waoh!! with the Bella Naija acoount on this report at the weekend,I knew she is innocent but didnt want to comment,I suppose LASTMA man was hit at the side where he was standing while Yinka Johnson was off her car at d left side.

Using a detective mind,I would say LASTMA man was carried away on the road while the Molue was speeding,if Molue wasnt speeding them LASTMA man wouldnot have died.

With this account,it shows how backward minded some nigerians think,why rope some one with what she didnt do?I am glad she has been released.
    Nigerian Government or Private parastatals should note that:Women with new born babies should not return to work except the babies are at least 4months old,except they choose too.

also Babies should not be allowed in prison or detention for more than 6 hours,they should passed on to cares or guidian.

also their should be bail within 48 hrs,to allow time for proper investigation and also for human right.

A person should not be accused unless their is a proper evidence.

She should pay a fine by violating the laws though,But i am really please because she has been vindicated..

Bella Naija,Good job folks.

12. Sarafina

August 14, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Oh tank GOD……I’m glad she was saved from those false accusations.

13. Sade

August 14, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Thank you Lord o. Praise Him. I knew something was fishy. The poor woman must have gone through hell. Justice has prevailed. Happy for you Yinka and your family. Forget about suing anyone. The Lord has vindicated you, just go on with your life. The best has happened, and continue praising the Lord. I hope you’ll learn from this, and obey the rules, traffic or otherwise next time. A few minutes or even hours of delay to do the right thing, is better than going through this harrowing ordeal. Thank goodness for technology. if this was teh early 90’s, she would have been charged, and spent years in jail. To all those who came forward with evidence. May the Lord bless you real good. You have sown good seeds, and came to the rescue of a woman, you probably have never seen before. I pray, in your own time of need, the Almighty will send people to fight for you too. P.S. I dont knwo Yinka, I’m just happy for her, because I prayed for her when I read the news, and I’m glad this was sorted.

14. dee

August 14, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I am sure there is an english word for MOLUE.. C’mon BN, you can do better

• sugar-ray

August 14, 2012 at 3:21 pm

so it’s English class now abi ? ok the English word for moule is DANFO, can you just be happy for this lady and forget that you re in class for once. smh

• Lola

August 14, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Looool.

• Ikunkun

August 15, 2012 at 10:14 am

Haaa!!! I would like to argue as a protector of street vocabulary!!! There’s a world of difference between molue(40 sitting 99 standing) and danfo( Regular Yellow and Black 14/15 seater beat-up bus). During my fresher years in lag…I got into a molue accidentally, mehn!!All I can say is “It is well”…lol.

• PussyBoy

August 14, 2012 at 3:24 pm

My thoughts exactly!

• Truth

August 14, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I wonder why u Nigerians create so much unnecessary headache for yourselves. The essence of language is communication, as long as you understand what molue is , who cares whether it is a yoruba or English word. “Wanna” “Gotta” are not proper English words yet it is commonly used globally so why you won com kill yourself over “molue”.

• Emem

August 14, 2012 at 7:12 pm

please.. leave our naija vocabulary o! We all love it! MOULE.. DANFO.. we love it!

• Ikunkun

August 15, 2012 at 10:08 am

Really????
      Do enlighten us… I am curious what this esoteric english word is…
      And please Bus wouldn’t do.

15. efe

August 14, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Praise God.l was so scared for her and the baby.they have put this woman through some emotional stress.

16. blj

August 14, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Thank God…..

17. Re

August 14, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Thank God the eye witnesses can out to share the truth.
    It’s just unthinkable the lies people tell. Why would someone say she murdered a man when she didn’t?

Be careful out there folks. Drive safe and drive carefully.

18. Turn turn turner

August 14, 2012 at 3:30 pm

@Sade “forget about suing anyone…continue praising the Lord”. Really? It’s people like you who allow for mediocrity and lawlessness to continue to thrive under the banner of religious zeal.

I’m a Christian and I pray for my country everyday but where someone has been falsely accused of murder, it is necessary to pursue all possible judicial redress to ensure it doesn’t happen to the next person.

• Mimi

August 14, 2012 at 4:13 pm

So, she should be re-living this incident over and over again, and be spending time, energy and money pursuing a case, where her actions directly led to this incident happening. Dont get me wrong, I’m happy that she has been released, but the chaos of that day must have contributed to the circumstances that caused that man to be hit by another vehicle. So, whether she is innocent or not, her actions indirectly led to someone losing his life. So, she cannot play the innocent card here and take the high road. She does not get to be righteously indignant here, in my opinion. She went through hell no doubt, but she gets to walk away. I’m not saying seh should be punished o, I am not a sadist please. But whatever she has gone through cannot be compared to a family that has lost a son, a brother, probably a husband and father. So, in my opinion, she should just walk away and thank her stars. if she had stayed on her side of the road, that man may be alive today. Things happen for a reason, we cant question the Lord, but sometimes we dont consider the ripple effects of our actions. Its okay to be happy for her and all, but no one seems to be remembering the man that lost his life.

• Purpleicious Babe

August 14, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Well said Mimi….

My thoughts was if she didnt voilate the law under the circumstances she probably wont have to go through this(she might have her reasons sha, God sees the heart). . God is a merciful God so she better use this as experience and learning zone.

U spoke well concerning the family of the man. May God grant them rest.

If anything, as a thanksgiving she could go and bless the family of the young. For me that shows a gratitude heart (if she was the cause of the commotion oh).

• Purpleicious Babe

August 14, 2012 at 7:54 pm

But hold on??? why is he standing there knowing fully well there might be danger coming through? In this instance, how did the MOLUE hit him if they were both on the the hard-shoulder?? I dont get it..Should he not be wearing a safety outfit that reflects for oncoming cars to see him and slow down.. better still. move AWAY FROM DANGER… NAh man, that dude probably has been playing with danger for years too.

In fact both have a part to play jor…. WHY is he standing THERE without any safety gadgets?? WHY?

The law in Niaj is more than messed up jor….

• Turn Turn Turner

August 15, 2012 at 1:29 am

Mimi, she more than likely did violate LASTMA rules and needed to be cautioned/fined/punished but you’re missing my point. Being accused of a civil offence and being accused of a criminal offence are on two entirely separate pages.

The retribution for a traffic offence cannot be compared with that of homicide. When you think of the number of falsely accused people sitting on death row, you may have an idea of where I’m coming from.

There are several unanswered questions related to this story, however on the basis of the information we’ve been given by BN, I stand by my initial comment.

19. Fola

August 14, 2012 at 3:31 pm

This country sha. Punish her for driving on a one-way route, no problem. But these guys were bent on framing an innocent woman. Gosh!!! LASTMA should be sued. Infact, the culprits should be hung under a tree and left for thunder and lighting to strike them for their evil act. Thank God for prayers and eye witness reports, they would have framed an innocent woman and would not even lose sleep. This country needs God’s intervention. Leaders are stealing citizens money, billions are unaccounted for, corruption grows skin-deep everyday. We have not heard any reports of them being arrested o. It’s an innocent woman they kept locked in prison with a little baby….. God help Nigeria. So, one Danfo driver that actually did the killing, slept in his house while an innocent woman spent nights in jail?? So much for the CCTV talk we’ve been hearing since. Maybe they’d actually put it before Jesus comes. The remaining LASTMA officials shouldbe given lectures on THE USE OF COMMON SENSE. I see them on the roads everyday. They’d stop you for any reason, jump into a bus and be dragging with the driver while the bus is in motion, risking the lives of passengers. As much as murder is a sad story,a part of me cannot help but say “THAT SERVES THEM RIGHT. YINKA, SUE THEIR BEHINDS”.

20. Missasokoro

August 14, 2012 at 3:34 pm

She’s a fool. A big one actually. If she wasn’t driving on a ONE WAY ROAD she won’t have been in this situation to start with!!! This should serve as a lesson to ALL of us!!!

• busola

August 14, 2012 at 4:06 pm

And who are you to pronounce someone as a fool? You are part of Nigeria’s problem. Miss perfect. Yes, she made a mistake but that doesn’t make her a fool. People like you disgust me.

• Akinsoye

August 15, 2012 at 1:54 am

Mistake ke? A grown up professional(Banker) with an infant consciously drives into a one way and you call that a mistake. This can only be said by a Nigerian and quite frankly can only happen in Nigeria.

• Bukky Ezekulie

August 14, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Missasokoro, I think ‘fool’ is too strong a word to use on anyone. I agree with you that this may not have happened to her had she not been driving on a one way road but still let’s be civil when addressing others.

Another thought though, you will agree with me that so many people had fallen victim of being accused wrongly even when they had done nothing wrong. All the same we should be good and patriotic citizen of Nigeria.

21. Dolly

August 14, 2012 at 3:34 pm

One thing i said to myself over the weekend after reading her story was all force people (police, army, lastma, kai etc) lie alot. Its like an anger that stems from nowhere just to see civilians suffer or fall to their feet. I have been in a close situation during my early college days in naija.
    “I was stopped by police for obstructing traffic and being in a hurry, i didnt argue i just begged the officers. An hour later i’m still begging after refusing the N500 i gave him when he said ‘Do something’. So i got frustrated, tired of begging and told him do whatever he want. He called the other officers aside, said something to them and asked one dude to drive my car while i sit inside to the station. We got to the station and i looked for the D.P.O to explain my plight, quickly he summoned the officers to find out what happened. Lets just say the officers re-count of what happened left me dumbfounded, tearing out and in total shock. LIES right in my face on how i almost ran one of the officers down and bragging i will kill him and nothing will happen coz my father is well connected. When the D.P.O turned to me i guess seeing my mouth wide open and tears rolling down he could tell the foul in the story. Till i got released i couldn’t say a word, i was just in shock especially their words that i said i will kill someone” INCREDIBLE

Please people becareful with em’ cops in naija, have your encounter recorded for evidence and make sure there are eyewitness, they can rope innocent people in.

• Ceegee

August 15, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I can relate with your experience as i have a the same encounter, as in same scenario, same actions, same response from me, I cried like a baby …………Be careful peeps and dont ever follow a cop to the station, they with turn the table against you

22. Seun

August 14, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Thank God…YJ is vindicated at last. This incidence speaks volumes of the caliber of officers that makes up Lastma team. A wicked gang of hoodlums who will go to the extreme to implicate innocent citizens on a case as sensitive as murder for no reason. Fashola pays Lastma officers from tax payers money and he needs to stop this ongoing harrasment, intimidation, suppresion of human rights and malicious incrimination of innocent citizens. Yinka deserves to claim damages for the emotional trauma she and her 2 month old baby has passed through……

23. Me

August 14, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I am glad. But BN one sided reporting beats me

• BellaNaija.com

August 14, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Thanks for your comment. Did you read the first article published on this incident? We published the official LASTMA press release and statements from the accused’s family and friends.
      LASMA has not released a new statement since the accused’s release. Once they do, it will be published on BN. Thank you.

• Olufemi Adebimpe

August 14, 2012 at 5:11 pm

This lady is a personal friend of mine and i had the privilege of speaking to her the day after she was arrested. What happened did not happen behind close doors and I was a bit shocked that people were willing to believe the unsubstantiated reports from LASMA, that has dragged this woman’s name in the mud. I am personally going to beg her to sue LASTMA for this ordeal. They kept her and her two month old baby in detention for four days and as much as I thank God for answering our prayers for her release, I shudder to think of the many people who did not have the benefit friends like Yinka, who are wasting away in Kirikiri. because of accusations like this.

24. dodo Ojelabi

August 14, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Maybe still – if she didnt take one way road – the lastma guy would still be alive till now.

• Zeph

August 14, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Oh Please!!! Are you kidding me?

25. Gimmer

August 14, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Awesome wonder…only God knows how many innocent souls have have rot in jail over something they didnt do. God save that wretched country

26. BeeT

August 14, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Thank God she was vindicated!!! And thanks to those who took the pains to cover (video coverage, and all) the whole event. They’ve done well. Our BBs, iPhones, etc are really truly working and not just pinging.

27. joy

August 14, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Happy for her thank God see what fasle words can take someone to? May God bless the eye witness for not holding the truth. She shld just let Gods will be done.

28. Moi

August 14, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Why was she driving on a one-way road and why are there not sign-posts shoing which roads are one-way roads,

29. xty

August 14, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I am so so grateful to God for his divine Intervention.
    Just continue to appreciate him for he has delivered u.

30. kay

August 14, 2012 at 3:57 pm

am really happy for her. the reason why pips drive one way is because our officials do it. so abeg when the ‘so-called’ officials (lastma,police n d rest) stop driving one way then i would be in support of them arresting pips that copy them.

31. seyi akinrolabu

August 14, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Praise be to God……… i did not even know i knew you until i saw the picture….. God is behind you Great Charis

32. Mysterious!

August 14, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Hmmm. Thank you someone witnessd this. What if this had happened with no witnesses around.
    I think these LASTMA officers should be properly taught how to arrest traffic offenders. They don’t need to jump in front of moving vehicles please…

33. Chattyzee

August 14, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Thank God for his faithfulness! I wish her all the best.

34. Olaolu

August 14, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I am happy that the visual evidence and eye witness testimony have exonerated Yinka Johnson,the fine is justified since she broke the law.
    However, the LASTMA officials who accused her of murder should first be relieved of all their duties…and be sued for punitive damages. It is one thing to do your job, it is another thing to take matters into your own hands and falsely accuse an innocent person of murder. I am now beginning to wonder who is in charge of recruitment for LASTMA?

35. melly

August 14, 2012 at 4:16 pm

shame to bad belly people. some pple were just busy sentencing dat poor woman b4 even proven guilty. shebi una see na.praise the lord oh.

36. bbb

August 14, 2012 at 4:21 pm

osh lastma should pay for spoilling her rep….mehn Thank God

37. Trendysturvs

August 14, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I’m so happy for her. God doesn’t sleep nor slumber, he has vindicated her.

38. Abuja's City Guide

August 14, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Great news but imagine if evidence wasn’t produced to clear her, that’s how an innocent person would have gone to jail!

39. Oluwaseun Aigbogun

August 14, 2012 at 4:39 pm

am so so happy,cos dis person happen to be a colleague’s wife…However i feel Lastma shud be given jurisdictions on au dey carry out deir duties cos its rily not fair if not did is how they will continue to put blames on innocent civilians…rily i wonder who created the Body LASTMA….? 4 me its just a waste of roadside space….d funny thing now is dat they resume so early on the road n close late….in addition wiv the new laws our dear Governor has impounded will grant em more wings..who knws dis time they might just be on the road all thru the night…..lol….

• my beat

August 16, 2012 at 4:43 pm

@Sam, I’m so very happy she’s been released and cleared of manslaughter charges but seriously many Nigerians are becoming very adept at blaming & side-stepping facts. No matter who drives on one-way lanes, it’s very wrong to do so, be that as it may, she’s not an innocent cat here. Also saying Lastma do nothing is too extreme and untrue. Just because some Police officers are corrupt is not enough to ask for the PF scrapping. Lastma really helps with traffic flow in lagos.

40. oyin

August 14, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Thank God thank God Thank God ooo, this really cause for massive church thanksgiving, I can imagine what those policemen will have put her through.

41. irokoroots

August 14, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I’m happy for her though. I hope she sleeps well knowing she was part of the reason an innocent man died while struggling to feed his family. She is not entirely innocent. I hope she tries to make things right with the man’s family, She at least owes them that.

42. Lexib

August 14, 2012 at 5:01 pm

What a fantastic result! I believe this case will change the manner in which LATSMA people work. They knew the danfo driver had know money and were hoping on getting the banker to pay compensation none of which wld have ever reached the deceased’s family! Lagos State need to train these guys and certify they are capable of performing their duties i.e.. do they know the rules of the road? Can they drive? Do they know the basic hand signals? Are they honorable and credible enough to perform their duties with integrity? his case is a clear example of their lack of knowledge and training.
    With regard to the use of English, I have been a Bella Naija fan since it was a very small blog I believe that this site has never supported intolerance of the use of local english and everyone is entitled to voice their options without judgment, that is accredit to the Bella Naija team keep up the great work and many congrats to Yinka Johnson however pls don”t drive 1way again!!!

43. Cool cat

August 14, 2012 at 5:07 pm

She was arrested under suspicion of coming murder, not for murder. During an investigation, suspects can be held until they are cleared. Therefore she cannot sue for anything. She was not maltreated, tortured, her child was brought to her to suckle and not made to stay there in anyway(guess some people think the baby was arrested too…duhhhhhh). She is just a very lucky woman, coupled with the media buzz generated, else Nigerian police would have done her in easily.

There are several valid lessons here, do not contravene traffic laws or any law for that matter. If para entire you do, settle your way out of it immediately, don’t argue! Always have your mobile in hand, recording convos, taking pictures, never leave the scene of a crime, never allow an unidentified person get into your car and drive away with you in it.

44. Doyin

August 14, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Glad as I am that she has been released, the above comments seem to forget that she was driving on the wrong side of the road – breaking the rules. If she had not been violating traffic laws, she would not have been roped into this mess.

• Olufemi Adebimpe

August 14, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Hmm as valid as your point is, that situation was created by the Government itself. If you visit the site, you will understand what I mean. The construction of the road to Ajah has made people living on that side of the road drive on a the muddy patch side of the road to access the only u-turn available back to Victoria Island. Otherwise, you will have to drive down to Ikota before making the journey back towards the island. Residents around here have complained about this over and over with no concrete response from the those developing the road. Visit the area and ask how some of the team that came to do the investigation drove out of the place. Yes, the last batch took the same route she was stopped from passing. because it makes common sense. If the Government cares the people living in that area, they should create a round about for those living around that area. There is something fundamentally wrong with asking people to adjust their life to difficulties when you can simply make life easier for them. What she did was legally wrong but the way the road is, it makes common sense to drive along that lay-by to connect the only place where the median is broken for the trip back to VI.

• Purpleicious Babe

August 14, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I get ur logic but in this instance the situation took another’s mans life. Yep it not fair on both parts but am sure that is not the first time she took that road it was just wrong time and wrong place abi?

• Maxi woman

August 15, 2012 at 1:38 am

Purpelicious Babe, I’ve read quite a few of your posts on this site and I have to say, you’re a specialist at talking absolute nonsense.

• doyen

August 15, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I have to concur with you RE: Purpliscious babe….she always yarns off point.

• Purpleicious Babe

August 19, 2012 at 12:24 am

loool….. I cant laff…. i yarn absolute nonsense…………….

I FIND IT FUNNY..lool..

ok… still laughing..

i find it funny… well what can I say??? ermmmm

45. chidi

August 14, 2012 at 5:25 pm

LETS SCREAM NOW O, they should be adequate signs showing which road is which it is wrong to ARREST people when there are no clearly defined sign post to direct people. its only criminal. I knew this kind of thing will happen. people getting framed for not by this hoodlums we call law enforcement. they have to be better information, maps, large signpost. right now its all vindictive and we may end up seeing a lot more innocent people get hurt and even a few more law enforcement officers get hurt, especially from their friends the danfo driver. it totally unacceptable that a person trained to keep other will jump into your car and start fighting with your wheels (Ive had the experienced and he ended being wrong), claiming he is trying to stop you and yet they claim they are graduates amongst them (na change of cloth be this one o) this guys are touts for all I care. its ok to say Yinka should be punished for taking one way, I’m hoping it a well defined one way. well Yinka give God praise and sorry especially for what they did to your little baby. LAGOS STATE PLS DEFINE THIS ROADS WITH BOLD SIGNPOST and stop this witch hunting.

• Dara

August 14, 2012 at 9:27 pm

GBAM!!!!!,

• me

August 14, 2012 at 10:28 pm

If they put the adequate signs on the roads and u keep to the rules,how then do u expect them to extort money from u?

46. N

August 14, 2012 at 5:26 pm

this is wat technology should be used for.
    kudus to the person that recorded it. our God is alive and he def saves his own

• berry

August 15, 2012 at 8:47 am

His own DONT drive ONE WAY!!

47. Nkelly

August 14, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Thank God for vindicating you, please dont drive one way again.

48. Yemi

August 14, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Thank God? When someone was knocked down and died? Where is our empathy as a people, where is our conscience? Yes she isn’t guilty as alleged but is it not distasteful to shout hurray when a family has being thrown into perpetual sorrow and tears? I doubt if the thank God would still be had it been LASTMA that were cleared of killing a motorist (a banker, nursing mother; ridiculous titles!).
    Had Nigeria been a Western country, this so called banker will be sure to cool her heels in prison (for driving against traffic), banned from driving for some years, and have some rough time with her employers / employability.
    Good an innocent woman was freed but sad an innocent man was sent to early grave. May his soul rest in peace. How I wish life is sacred and sacrosanct in my dear homeland.

49. gee

August 14, 2012 at 5:41 pm

na wa o. english + suing LASTMA. what for? i dont get u all. Thank God she has been released. pls check ur baby’s health cos Nigerian prison..*coughs*

50. Tessa

August 14, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I am so glad.
    I carried her on my dp since sunday…

51. Tolu

August 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I copied this from a previous comment, because it is the most sensible comment here so far. Removing all the emotions, that we nigerians are very fond of when we approach a situation. Happy reading – “So, she should be re-living this incident over and over again, and be spending time, energy and money pursuing a case, where her actions directly led to this incident happening. Dont get me wrong, I’m happy that she has been released, but the chaos of that day must have contributed to the circumstances that caused that man to be hit by another vehicle. So, whether she is innocent or not, her actions indirectly led to someone losing his life. So, she cannot play the innocent card here and take the high road. She does not get to be righteously indignant here, in my opinion. She went through hell no doubt, but she gets to walk away. I’m not saying seh should be punished o, I am not a sadist please. But whatever she has gone through cannot be compared to a family that has lost a son, a brother, probably a husband and father. So, in my opinion, she should just walk away and thank her stars. if she had stayed on her side of the road, that man may be alive today. Things happen for a reason, we cant question the Lord, but sometimes we dont consider the ripple effects of our actions. Its okay to be happy for her and all, but no one seems to be remembering the man that lost his life”. GBAM!!!! well said Mimi

• berry

August 15, 2012 at 8:34 am

Exactly my thoughts. We all ought to learn a big lesson here. Rules or laws are made for a reason and whenever they are broken there will be consequences -big or small. In this case it was the loss of the life of a man who was doing his duty. If the lady in question wasn’t apprehended, she would have been a danger to other motorists as well as endangering her own life. I even wonder how come someone nursing a baby would take such a risk… dint she consider being alive for her baby??
      RIP Mr Balogun.
      One can only imagine how many other people are affected by our thoughtless actions…

52. Asia

August 14, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Thank God for the eye witness. everyone should be wary of LASTMA, very wicked set of people.

53. Bayo

August 14, 2012 at 7:39 pm

@Sade,i think she should sue Lastma for the truma and stress she was made to go through,and false accusation. The fact that she’s been left off the hook is not enough,we are too complacent in this country ,we allow all sorts of muds to be splash on our face. In any case,Lastma will sue her for driving against traffic and she will be made to pay the stipulated fine. I would have sued them for emotional stress and false accusation if i were in her shoes. Fashola always talk about the importance of the rule of law,so lets text this case in the court, Lets stop been timid,there’s no exception to the law

54. Le Dynamique Professeur

August 14, 2012 at 8:29 pm

One out of a thousand success stories of people who have been fausely accused in Nigeria. Thank God for social media and for those who stepped up to say the truth.
    – LDP

55. Richy

August 14, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Wait a minute evry1! While am hapy she’s cleared albeit of murder, some salient issues beg 4 answers. 1. Who took d pix or shot d video? 2. Hw sure r we dt tis nt fotoshoped? 3. Hw sure r we dt money hs nt chngd hands? 4. HW MOLUE tk kill lastma bt no kill d cameraman? Lol. While applauding d cameraman (sic) is it nt disheartenin d appaling use social media has bn subjected to? We tk pix wt our fones whn thr is emergency dt requires our immediate help. We tk pleasures to play d reporter wt d juicy news whn we cld avert d disaster. Wht abt those busy filming whn dana crash victims were screaming for help. Social media is… I comment my reserve. Cngrat o yinka bt u hv a hand in ds death much as d lastma guys are a total nuisance on our roads.

• Olufemi Adebimpe

August 15, 2012 at 8:36 am

The picture was taken by LASTMA officers. It is something they normally do as a form of evidence for such traffic offense. And i believe the officer was killed on the other side of the road while he was crossing without looking. How she was responsible for his death beats me.

56. iamfascinating

August 14, 2012 at 11:19 pm

57. ofilispeaks

August 14, 2012 at 11:53 pm

I thought the penalty for driving one-way was 3 years imprisonment, which I think is stupid. But hey…

• serendipity

August 15, 2012 at 11:02 am

Hi Ofilispeaks, the penalty for driving one way for a first time offender is forefeiture of the car to the State and 1 year imprisonment. Three years imprisonment is for a subsequent offender and the vehicle would be impounded as well. I think we all should get a copy of the offencies and penalties and familiarize ourselves with them. You’ll be surprised whats in there…

58. BUKOLA

August 15, 2012 at 12:33 am

What can I say? Thank goodness she has been spared the horror that would have followed. I hope she has learnt a great lesson, and remembers that someone’s life was lost in the process of her learning this lesson. No matter what, laws must be obeyed! It saves lives, obviously. I hope, also, that other law enforcement officials learn their lessons from this too. Never be overly excited in carrying out your duties, and let only one factor motivate you in carrying out your duties- making the society a better place to live in. Let not financial gains be your motivation, never, and never evil intentions against the other for whatsoever reasons. It’s still a sad story, though, for all parties involved. Moral of the story? Let’s all think wisely and carefully before we act. Think about the consequences of our actions all the time, ask ourselves is it worth it? If no, then do not do it!!

59. gf

August 15, 2012 at 12:45 am

At the end of the day, this woman was driving in the wrong direction and is directly responsible for the LASTMA guy’s death. Whether or not she hit him, she caused another vehicle to run him down and she should be charged with involuntary manslaughter. It’s seems like because the Lastma guy is from a lower social strata we sympathize more with the rich banker lady.

This is culpable negligence at its best. This woman’s reckless action caused someone else (a friend, maybe father, brother, son, cousin, colleague) to die. Put sentiments aside, this woman is culpable for this man’s death.

60. Bumsylee

August 15, 2012 at 1:33 am

She is not entirely innocent, becos, she had a hand in the commotion that resulted in the LASTMA guy’s death. Nigerians should learn to drive correctly. Thank God and I am really happy for her.

61. Tunmi

August 15, 2012 at 6:53 am

So, thanks to the witnesses who saw this event and those who captured this event on their devices. The woman did break traffic laws and she should be punished as such. The woman also had a hand in the death of the officer, and she should be held culpable as well. As for the framing, those officials should be brought to book as well.

The lesson from this: road signs and cameras on roads otherwise the motorists and pedestrians would have to look out for one another…which actually is not too bad.

62. Dale

August 15, 2012 at 7:25 am

She should be in jail for manslaughter. Her actions driving on the wrong side of a one way street endangered the life of someone else. Even if she did not ultimately kill him herself. If she had not committed a crime and made the guy go after her he may still be alive today.

63. Maureen Opara

August 15, 2012 at 8:18 am

Praise be to God, i am so happy.
    May God bless all the witnesses that helped in facilitating her release.

64. richard

August 15, 2012 at 8:57 am

Can you profit from your misdemeanor?. Having been fined for traffic offence, going to court might not smell good for her.

65. Sola

August 15, 2012 at 9:13 am

She is guilty of a traffic offence and NOT murder!!! Have we all forgotten that the driver that hit her is somewhere in this Lagos, eating and drinking with his family, completed unfazed by the fact that someone else was charged for a crime he committed. Why is the government more concerned with having a scapegoat than trying to find out the owner and driver of the bus that the eye witnesses saw. There is no excuse for this a murder is not a joke. She could not have been responsible for an accident that occurred with someone else on the steering wheel?!! She had parked off the road and the towing truck was parked in front of her. The pictures tell the story. The fact is LASG has to train its officers about how to cross roads safely. Their uniform alone does not guarantee protection from the hazards that face ordinary Nigerian road users and pedestrians.

66. barbs

August 15, 2012 at 9:13 am

I am happy she has been vindicated. God bless all those who came forward with the evidence, another will also do good to each and everyone of them. Yinka, let this be a lesson to you also and continue being good to people you meet in your life cause i believe that is what has helped you (as they say “one good turn deserves another).

67. Sola

August 15, 2012 at 9:15 am

She is guilty of a traffic offence and NOT murder!!! Have we all forgotten that the driver that hit the LASTMA official is somewhere in this Lagos, eating and drinking with his family, completed unfazed by the fact that someone else was charged for a crime he committed. Why is the government more concerned with having a scapegoat than trying to find out the owner and driver of the bus that the eye witnesses saw. There is no excuse for this. Substituting a civil office for a murder charge is not a joke. She could not have been responsible for an accident that occurred with someone else on the steering wheel?!! She had parked off the road and the towing truck was parked in front of her. The pictures tell the story. The fact is LASG has to train its officers about how to cross roads safely. Their uniform alone does not guarantee protection from the hazards that face ordinary Nigerian road users and pedestrians. If this is how law enforcement works in this country, then God help us!

• Bewi

August 15, 2012 at 12:42 pm

No she is guilty of involuntary manslaughter.I suggest you look it up! If it had been the sibling,mother or friend of one of us that died, I doubt we will be “praising God”

68. tonia

August 15, 2012 at 9:30 am

Praise God! Am happy for her. Let all parties concerened please learn their lessons o.

69. lilz

August 15, 2012 at 9:51 am

very well said @ Olufemi Adebimpe

70. fre

August 15, 2012 at 9:55 am

Praise God!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can only imagine the nightmare she must have gone through.

71. pynk

August 15, 2012 at 10:30 am

She has been vindicated of murder. Fair and square. However she is still guily of disobeying the law. Lets make a step to do the right thing to the best of our abilities, instead of yelling about why Nigeria is not progressing. DO NOT FACE TRAFFIC, DO NOT KNOWINGLY DISOBEY THE LAW! ITS THE ONLY WE CAN COLLECTIVELY MOVE FORWARD!

72. envy kills

August 15, 2012 at 11:08 am

When one hand bring oil it sole the other.naija can talk blablablala,she has a two month old baby,a banker etc abeg make una park well,she should be charge for murder!

73. sunshine

August 15, 2012 at 11:09 am

congrats to YJ! Thank God for eyewitnesses (& “connections”- yeah! I said it!) As for LATSMA and all dem false witnesses; i shake head for una! Let this be a lesson for us all- drive carefully!
    P.S- pls lets give a gold star to the fellow who had YJ on his/her dp since sunday; make we hear word! lmao!!

74. Bewi

August 15, 2012 at 12:39 pm

…and where is the overwhelming video?

75. VOKA

August 15, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Yinka Johnson I rejoice with you and your family for this great testmony. I believe they are confused as they can not lay their hands on the culprit, so they decided to use you a child of GOD to replace him to cover their shame in the office. GOD I thank you so much for this great testmony, I give all the glory and majesty in JESUS mithy name Amen!!!.

76. of course

August 15, 2012 at 4:06 pm

thank God for her vindication.but i hope she has learnt her lesson. its very important and imperative that we avoid troubles like following or passing way!

77. of course

August 15, 2012 at 4:06 pm

*oneway

78. olushola

August 15, 2012 at 5:04 pm

i quite agree with olufemi adebimpe. people should try and see what is being reffered to as one way drive. even from reliable source,some of the danfo buses that ply that road belongs to LASTMA officials and they always look the other way if such buses are driving in the wrong direction.

79. marvel

August 15, 2012 at 5:17 pm

They can’t fine her for jack. If she gets taken to court, she counter sues on the grounds that the roads aren’t properly signed. You don’t need LASTMA or any other agencies chasing motorists. Fashola, this has gone on for too long. Similarly how does any driver who is over from another state know if they over speed? No signs on the roads. Please jor she needs to adequately compensated. How can govt officials concoct lies. Did LASTMA treat the Colonel Fashola apprehended that way? One rule for all.

80. edem

August 15, 2012 at 8:33 pm

thank God ohhh. i am so happy for this woman.. our God will continue to fight for us poor innocent people IJN. my sister relax Jesus is with you.

81. Toyin

August 16, 2012 at 12:33 am

@ Mimi
    Read the full facts of a case from various sources before posting a comment. Yes the woman was wrong for driving one way and should face the full wrath of the law including forfeiting her driving licence for a couple of years if possible. The woman had no hand in the Lastma official’s death. While waiting to have her car towed away for committing an offence, the Lastma official dashed across the road attempting to stop another vehicle before he was knocked down. Why frame an innocent person for murder? Lastma officials are usually more interested in the N20.00 they want to collect from danfo drivers than their own safety. They jump carelessly (from hiding at times) in front of moving vehicles in order to exhort money. There is one particular Lastma official always dashing from one end of the road to the other along Agege Motor road ( the road linking Oshodi and Mushin)in order to collect money from danfo drivers. I have never seen him controlling traffic other than extorting money. Need one speculate what will eventually happen to him!!!!!!!!!!

82. Toyin

August 16, 2012 at 1:01 am

I have read all the comments posted in this blog. I must commend the maturity of all the comments. The fact that we may not agree with each others comments and are civil in our response is very commendable. It is the way it should be. Congrats to everyone. Please keep it up.

83. sam