News

Republic of Foreigner Debuts its Autumn/Winter 2012 Collection “Re-belle” | Footage from the Lookbook Shoot

Since its inception in 2010, emerging Nigerian design contemporary fashion label Republic of Foreigner has been known for creating eclectic pieces inspired by its love of film and art for the modern day hippie. After debuting its 2012 resort collection “Echizen” here on BN last year, the label has pulled all necessary stops to create yet another stellar collection, this time its autumn/winter 2012 collection tagged “Re-belle”

The autumn/winter 2012 collection is an ongoing juxtaposition of masculinity and femininity in the urban world. The designers play with blacks, grays, turquoise and splashes of hyper-pinks, purples and muted greens to compose garments that echo connections between modern views of militaristic subcultures in fashion such as rivet heads, industrial goths and modern hipsters, who mix military aesthetics with melting pot of styles, tastes and behaviour all in the name of creativity, difference and of course, rebellion.

Speaking on the collection, the label’s rep said “The Re-belle collection is a dynamic display of feminized militarism. In the universal concept of beautiful “generational struggles” often seen in history and pop culture, while real military garments often enforce hierarchy and conformity, subcultures often subvert this meaning into one of non-conformity and individualism – for this reason, the name of the collection “Re-belle” was inspired.

And as a result, the designers took cues from cult films such as Rebel Without A Cause (1995), Escape from New York (1981), Mad Max (1979), The Wild One (1953) and George Orwell’s novel, to feminize masculine and rebellious styles of life and clothing. The idea was to ultimately create elements of clothing that the ROF woman can comfortable, creatively, and confidently put together anytime and anywhere.”

The Republic of Foreigner “Re-belle” Autumn/Winter 2012 Lookbook

Republic of Foreigner gives us behind the scenes footage

Credits
Photography & Post Production: Folarin Shasanya @ Studio Flow Photography
Styling & Art Direction: Team ROF
Models: Stephanie Chibera Okwu & Bunmi Adewunmi @ XWIZIT
Make-Up: Barbara Onianwah @ Barbara & 1923

M: 07055864719
E: [email protected] | [email protected]
SN: Facebook Page | Twitter @ TheLadyInTheROF
W: www.InTheRof.com

1. igbo babe

August 8, 2012 at 10:41 am

is it the model or the clothes? sumthing’s outta place. *Yawnsss*

• me speaks

August 8, 2012 at 3:19 pm

dude where u reading my mind? my exact thoughts! and would have written exactly that until i scrolled down and saw your comments. and the pose too though, model, pose and/or clothes?! the model with the long arms reminds me of that zombie butler in Addams family!

• Biola

August 8, 2012 at 3:58 pm

lol..i know eh…looks to me like its the model..

• lOlz

August 9, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Lolll, A. YOU’RE AN IGBO BABE SO YOU’RE CLEARLY THE ONE OUT OF PLACE! These clothes clearly aren’t for u hunny, so take your Heebo self back to your Onitsha village. B. I like the collection. The first, second, fourth dresses and those cut-out blouses! Hawtt! Where can I buy em Bella???

• jane

August 9, 2012 at 11:15 pm

whats your problem with igbo people now though? cant she make a comment..and what does that mean anyway,are you trying to say igbo people dont have style..mchew please go and sit down. onitsha is NOT a village,its a city.

• maegan

August 10, 2012 at 4:34 pm

It’t that lipstick. It looks like blue

• julit

August 13, 2012 at 2:28 pm

the lipstick isn’t bad. a model isn’t meant to be pretty. models should have an edgy look which is what i see. the pieces are fantastic and i am very impressed.

• oneyechi

October 21, 2012 at 3:55 am

i think it’s how the one of models shoulders sits. there kinda stiff,

2. ZM

August 8, 2012 at 10:42 am

3. ij

August 8, 2012 at 10:43 am

pls remain foreign

• Non professional opinion

August 8, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Choi! This babe….. Anyway I can’t fight you for speaking the truth.
      I thought the LDA photoshoot with the lop-sided mannequin and hanging threads was a mess, but this….you already said it.
      It’s sad because the clothes are not bad.

• Professional opinion

August 9, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Please remain irrelevant. The models are beautiful–especially the girl that looks a bit like Chanel Iman.. Once again, ROF never disappoints with their creativity and professionalism! Moving Nigeria up ladies!

4. merciful

August 8, 2012 at 10:43 am

Everything is just wrong… From the stiff models to the losed clothes n d funny hair style! Gosh am a fan of ROF but this is so out of place. Calls for a redo! Gr8 work tho.

5. luvlyn

August 8, 2012 at 10:51 am

WIERDEST models iv eva seen. y r her hands so long, dont get d posture.
    d cut-out shirts r nice!!! d only problem is dat ur bra straps will b visible. not very practical.
    all in all….. nothn special!! very dull

• Annyaya

August 12, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Exactly. Visible bra straps with those open back tops n dresses. Only for the lekpacious babes with small bobi

6. Bolake

August 8, 2012 at 11:00 am

Is it the models or the dresses? Something is just wrong with all the pictures

7. Nonye

August 8, 2012 at 11:09 am

Goodness gracious! why the model pose like who wan go “marching”????

8. Me2me

August 8, 2012 at 11:10 am

Emmmmmm, I like and dont like but still like to like,lol

9. Nonye

August 8, 2012 at 11:12 am

Attention!!! At Ease! By the left march past, left right , left right……..loooooooooool (I no sure of the march lines/chant o!)

10. kem

August 8, 2012 at 11:25 am

HMMMMM

11. Princess of Zion

August 8, 2012 at 11:30 am

Not bad! Love the prints and the texture of the fabrics.

12. Asa nwa

August 8, 2012 at 11:35 am

One Word……………………..Horrible

13. Chizo

August 8, 2012 at 11:37 am

sorry oh! r those night wears?…i just dey ask.

14. fy

August 8, 2012 at 11:40 am

Jeez d hair n make up for d modelz r so wrng!!rili spoilt many of d outfits for me..luv a lot of d luks tho buh odaz r jez bleh!

15. Chattyzee

August 8, 2012 at 11:45 am

I love the maxi dresses. And I think the models are gorgeous.

16. chuchusweets

August 8, 2012 at 11:45 am

What happened to neat defined lines and hems in sewing. wats happening to designing. Please abeg. Dont like much and am sick of d boohoo look too

• Noni

August 9, 2012 at 10:52 pm

You mean, “boho” look, my sweets… The collection is a breath of fresh air and very wearable! i likey very much!

17. Africandecor(click)

August 8, 2012 at 11:51 am

i loove the black lacy dress and the last image. thats all

learn how to decorate with letters and words at http://homafrica.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/decorating-with-letters-and-words/

18. cathy

August 8, 2012 at 11:53 am

love some of them designs

19. QueenofEverything

August 8, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I think a mannequin would have done a much better job!
    Those models did not try at all…

20. D.Ogun

August 8, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Lovely collection ladies! Absolutely FAB!

21. DeMorrieaux

August 8, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Really not feeling the make-up, but some really lovely pieces.
    I like!

22. tete

August 8, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I still don’t understand dis, is it d fault of d model, the clothes or d combinations of d clothes.?

• ij

August 8, 2012 at 2:24 pm

let me help you , NOTHING IS WORKING !!!

• KingBey

August 9, 2012 at 9:52 am

@IJ Going around spreading your ignorant point of view is what isn;t working. Their form of presentation is a ‘style’ that you don’t know of. It’s the effortless, cool and artsy look not the typical Genevieve mag or Complete Fashion over-posed look. You need to open your mind and quit showing your level of unexposure all over the place.

ROF girls, y’all nailed it. Truth is, most BN commenters are fashion novices who only like Vlisco type of fashion that is downright bogus and so literal. I notice that innovative and ‘cool’ ones such as Maki Oh, Bridget Awosika, Eniola David, William Okpo and you guys have gotten bad reviews from them- it’s just the lack of pedigree on here… Allow my arrogance, it is hard-earned and valid. I do not subscribe to all these people here that color block pink and blue and assume they’ve arrived… It’s just a matter of taste and truly, BN, LIB commenters and the like haven’t got it… Commoners. *scoffs*

23. Wise Fool

August 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Nigerian designers dont know how to design clothes for the nigerian woman. Please take cues for the music industry. Stop trying to be too edgy, different, sophisticated and foreign. Cant you see what people like??

• cla cla

August 13, 2012 at 9:01 am

so so true

24. Desire

August 8, 2012 at 1:01 pm

hmmmmm. Cant see myself in any of this. I understand the feminine militarism and all but really the collection needs to look appealing or aspirational. I wont give these clothes a second look if i see it in a shop.

25. Wise Fool

August 8, 2012 at 1:04 pm

The idea of a Model is to make your clothes look attractive to the market. How many Nigerian women with the kind of money you want to charge will want to wear the clothes you put on this lady or look like her?

Later, professionals in the fashion industry will complain that they charge so much because manufacturing in Nigeria is hard, yet, you cannot produce clothes that will be well recieved

26. teetee

August 8, 2012 at 1:07 pm

d cloths…d models….in fact am speechless coz nt is right

27. Dionne

August 8, 2012 at 1:39 pm

LMAOOOOOOOOO I CANT I JUST CANT like IJ said pls remain foreign

28. Moyo

August 8, 2012 at 2:16 pm

lmao @ all comments…..dont even know what to say. some of the designs get as e be…….

29. Ola

August 8, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Love!

30. Bewi

August 8, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I actually like it.The ‘stiffness” of the model was probably planned. Rachel Roy and many other designers have used that concept

31. Ndidi

August 8, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Fantastic! I can understand why some won’t get these. To a true eye, these are: Inspired, one-of-a kind, non-cliched, ahead of their time, non-cookie cutter and fashion-forward. I love them. I am officially a citizen of the Republic. BN please let me know where I can buy them. Also the models had the right mein for the clothes.

32. @ajiriavae

August 8, 2012 at 4:26 pm

The collection is definitely not for everybody. It’s for a particular kind of aesthetic. It’s definitely not my style but I recognise the beauty and creativity. The woman whose style it is will love it. The customer for this look, in my opinion, can mostly be found in Japan, New York and London. Very wearable but very fashion forward
    .http://ajiristyle.blogspot.com/

33. Tobechidaniel

August 8, 2012 at 7:40 pm

The models and designs look nice; the photography is horrible.The photographer either needs a better flash or just shoot in natural light.

34. M

August 8, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I like very edgy and original. Would wear most

35. funke

August 8, 2012 at 8:09 pm

The collection isn’t horribly bad but that model…SNM!!!

36. Chikaka

August 8, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Yes, the models spoilt some nice looking pieces!

37. Bebe

August 8, 2012 at 8:58 pm

The collection looks somehow. The model is so stiffed. She can’t sale or promote d brand.. Her pose are so awkward

38. thats sew naija!

August 8, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Nice designs…

39. Omo Gbelepawo

August 9, 2012 at 9:13 am

Blahhhhh………..

40. abisola ipade

August 9, 2012 at 9:27 am

Are they models? Cos really cos of the poses cant look at the outfit a second time.

41. Lolz

August 9, 2012 at 9:37 am

What?! Yall dont know shit for shat. judging by some of the comments most of you def haven’t left naija! And the clothes probably aint for you. These are beautiful, well-crafted pieces! and I LOVE the hair, and make-up.. I too have also been converted into a citizen of the Republic!

42. janeth

August 9, 2012 at 9:48 am

Nothing

43. ij

August 9, 2012 at 1:45 pm

@KingBey

• Dara

August 9, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Jesu…..lol

44. Jamike

August 9, 2012 at 2:13 pm

So much talk!!! Military this n that!! D grammar was so intellectual but scroll down to d pics??? Hmmmmm no comment! The write up was much interesting !!!! Rof tho! Geez!

• LollyLols

August 9, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Na wan for u o! If e no dey shine, if E NO TIGHT, if its clearly not over the top u no fit say na superior work. You’re probs one of those stereotypical nigerian bushlettes with long mongolian weave and no style. I think its a cool/creative collection. The pics rep wut they said–feminized militarism. If u don’t get it, keep it to your mongolian bushlette self. Go ROF!

45. chi chi

August 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm

IJ “@KingBey
    IT’S STILL NOT WORKING OH , now take a running jump (Olympic style) with chariots of fire as your soundtrack into the biggest lagoon.” buahahahalwkmdfh!!! gaddem! too funy *wipes eyes*. Anyway @kingbey, if u know so much, then u should know that fashion will always strike different people in different ways, whatever anyone says, and that’s the beauty of fashion, and all other things art. live and let live pls. For me, the designs are not bad, some pieces are very appealing to me and my personal style, while others are not. enough said. Keep up the work ROF.

46. nana

August 9, 2012 at 5:01 pm

abeg why d model hand be like my hanger sooo ,ooo i get the point am russhing home now to hang my clothes. wait for me ooo

• Bisi

August 9, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Exactly, and they won’t fall off because the edges of the “hanger” are hunched upwards.

47. LADI

August 9, 2012 at 5:01 pm

WOWAWEEWA! Nigerians are just a bunch of haterzz mehn. Personally think the collection is tight. I didn’t know we had talent in this country. But I agree after seeing the consistent/creative/well executed work from Maki, Bridget Awosika, and ROF–I’ve been proven wrong. Great work guy, keep it up! Don’t listen to the BUSH-ass haters!

48. Gold

August 9, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Nice pieces!! Somethg just doesn’t seem right (makeup or models)

49. hotchick

August 9, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I love the open “thing” they have going on in the blouses and dresses(whatever the technical term is lol!). I also like the concept – but it fell short here. The presentation is strange – the clothes themselves don’t look well tailored (some) and has nothing to do with the stiffness of the models or how fashion forward it is – or isn’t.

Not a designer or fashionista though, so my comments are probably colored. Might wear a few pieces though, but not jumping for joy.

• Nigerians never cease to amaze me...

August 9, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Emm, so in your unprofessional opinion which pieces don’t look “well-tailored” in the photographs? I shop with ROF, their stuff is always very well-made! And they’re really sweet girls, they work hard at their craft! Well, I suppose it doesn’t matter to you because your tailor neighbour in obalende will do a better copy for you… Stay hoping to be a hotchick one day. Like Lollylolz said, you’re probably one of those little bushlettes that can’t even afford the 18″ mongolians… Maybe you’re the next eku in the making…. or wait, maybe not.

• jane

August 10, 2012 at 9:29 am

Ah ah, why so mean now? I agree with you, their stuff actually looks well-made and Nigerians like to talk… but it’s just talk and hate. At the end of the day ROF has its customers, and their probably laughing all the way to the bank. But lets try to be civil to one another..

The models aren’t bad. The clothes are great! I really like the styling!

50. Janded

August 9, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Very funny! I am being punked. Oya Ashton jump out!

51. E

August 9, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Oh wow, I lovvve! Very edgy stuff!

52. mama

August 9, 2012 at 11:36 pm

yelz, all of una dat comment on this fashion parade are bush girls and boys……..these r not real models, they r doll babies…….dats how they do it in emerica….

53. Bisi

August 9, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Okay, everyone has their own opinions. But I’m sure that we all agree that the first one is ugly. I like the other designs though. I would totally rock most of them, maybe even the see-through ones. And what’s with all the “gbagauns” here? Anyway, as long as I’m entertained by the comments, lol.

54. Queen

August 10, 2012 at 12:31 am

I think this collection is very lovely, a simple ready to wear brand ^_^ I do believe that the look book is tacky. The models are too short, and even though there is nothing wrong with this, the photographer did not pick the right angles to exaggerate their height! Wearing heels would have helped a bit. I love the clothes but not the look book :p Rof Please next time choose taller models since nigerian photographers don’t deliver much :p

55. Inspiration everywhere

August 10, 2012 at 8:09 am

Very William Okpo for Opening Ceremony 🙂 The poses of the models, the styling, the clothes. Nice try. Work on your finish

56. Observer

August 10, 2012 at 9:22 am

Some of you people must have some really good eyesight because I honestly see nothing wrong with the finish. In love with the first and ninth dresses!

57. InCotonou

August 10, 2012 at 11:02 am

Nice clothes but what’s wrong with the model? They look like they got off the wrong side of bed. Sleepy and tired, no enrgy, no peps. They don’t do justice to the clothes at all!

58. InCotonou

August 10, 2012 at 11:30 am

On second view, the clothes actually really do look nice. Interesting shapes and sihouttes, not your usual run of the mill stuff. And i also like the choice of fabrics and the way it is used.

I confirm. The problem is with the models!

59. Impressed industry professional

August 10, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Wow, this is fashion guys! Provokes thought and discussion. I’m an industry professional in New York, and I’ve been following ROF’s development. What I’m seeing here are mixed reviews. But guess what, that’s is what fashion is… that is what moves it forward. Obviously ROF might be too fashion forward for the masses in Nigeria, but it does appeal to the edgy few in Nigeria. It seems BN isn’t the avenue for ROF to showcase their work because most BN consumers (who comment) are not in their target market. However, no publicity is bad publicity. I have to say that I like their work–the silhouettes, the fabric choices, the prints–even down to the theme of the lookbook. Great work ROF!!

60. hotchick

August 10, 2012 at 12:30 pm

LMAO. FHR – Entitled to an opinion. Big difference between that and “hating”. If they’d rather not have comments – then the look book shouldn’t be on a public site (or at least not one where people can comment).

61. Non professional opinion

August 10, 2012 at 2:55 pm

@The rude bigot that’s clearly on Rof’s payroll that is running around insulting people. Breathe and take your medication.
    1. Don’t mix Maki o or Bridget Awosika up in this. Those designers are able to execute with style and polish and they don’t rely on the “If people don’t like it we will say its cos they are bush” defense.
    2. Avant garde is not a problem. Conceptual is not a problem. A badly proportioned model dressed in clothes that make her look heavy. Bad lighting. A flat and uninspiring result, these are all problems.
    On a professional note, RoF be careful of who you get to represent you on blogs. Rudeness is never good for business. And if you guys are doing this yourselves, I suggest you grow up.

62. efe

August 10, 2012 at 3:48 pm

One or two of the clothing,make small sense.Fashion for me is bad investment cos the designs are just recycled from a little way back.

63. Phylia

August 10, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Screams ….voodoooooo! To me….dunno why

64. Zara

August 11, 2012 at 1:29 am

Most of the designs are nice and I can see myself in them. I love the mixed prints! However, the models did a bad job in modeling the clothes. The pose, the hand, the shoulder etc are just not working.
    Now, about you commenters that are clearly on ROF payroll, go easy on the insults! Insulting people for stating their opinions about the designs and models will do nothing but leave a bad impression on potential customers.

65. Jummy

August 11, 2012 at 8:57 am

It amazes me @ times when some people dont really understand the term or meaning of photoshoots.Am a model and done both fashion shows and photoshoots with this 2 models who I can tell you are 1 of the best models you can ever have for a show.Basically,we get paid to do what our designers wants. Designers will tell you,’I dont need too much pose just do me a straight walk,others will say I need you to strike as many pose as possible.I have participated in a show sometime back in Eko hotel(a very big fashion event) and the designers wanted us walking like a dummie,we had our hair made like a barbie doll.You might say that sounds crazy but that was her ‘theme’.You won’t believe the amount of people that sauntered in backstage after the show to make purchases of the clothes we wore while some had huge orders.So please people learn to know d difference before you jump on to the keyboard and start typing nonsense.

• Queen

August 12, 2012 at 9:26 pm

warevaaa!!! I don’t care if you know the models, since that is the case, both the models, designer (directing the models and photographer) and photographer did a bad job 🙂 happy now

66. DivaHaze

August 11, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Yup! Its definately the models, especially the light-skinned model.. Love the designs.. @Jummy I am a model, too.. Am sure the designer didnt ask them to look lost or confused?? I love the designs and regardless of the models, they will sell out.. All in all, the models did wonderfully…

67. Funke BUCKNOR obruthe

August 11, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Hmmm

68. cynthia emili

August 12, 2012 at 11:53 pm

i love these,they r very stylish and i can see some unique pieces,a lot even.There is absolutely nothing wrong with either the collection or the model.

69. Amber

August 13, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I wonder why this is necessary when there is no winter or autumn in naija…but then I tot ,for naija anytin goes,people go still wear turtle necked- long sleeve under the scorching sun

70. Chikita

August 14, 2012 at 12:26 am

U guys talk too much and don’t let people have opinions. If u like d clothes, good for u. Kingbay et al, u ll love to know, but u don’t. The problem with d whole get up, is d Naija factor. D designer designed, most probably sewed too, got unprofessional models, styled them and organized her own photo shoot. Doesn’t work in the real world, but who can blame her, doing business in Nigeria is very tough, even with the best intentions. That said, not a very good production!

71. Cecilia

August 14, 2012 at 2:02 pm

i don’t even like everything i saw

72. je

August 15, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I THINK THIS COLLECTION IS REALLY BEAUTIFUL (MY OPINION ) the fabrics patterns lovely 🙂 ….but i must say the exhibition of the collection isnt nice :)…but the exhibition of the collection isnt the best ..not the photographers fault …the director stylist and designer ddnt get it …the models they chose werent the best for some of the clothes because it makes them look shorter and the bob hair style sucks….and the shoes too some heels would have been better …but beautiful collection..it would look better on the person that purchases it 🙂 goodluck… rof

73. Irene

August 20, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Awesome, awesome collection would wear all the pieces love the chiffon tops.

74. Nicole

August 23, 2012 at 3:19 pm

i love this

75. oneyechi

October 21, 2012 at 3:56 am

i think it’s how one of the models shoulders sits. there kinda stiff,