Wearing makeup every single day is not for the faint of heart. That’s why I’ve broken it down into easy steps you can follow.
Everyday makeup for me is something I would truthfully much rather do without. I’m well on my way to getting my skin ready to show off without makeup though (that’s if laziness will let me stick to a skincare routine long enough that is, lol) but you get my drift right?
Unfortunately, working in the communications industry requires I look my best always – you never know when there’s an impromptu meeting or you bump into someone or you need to make a presentation etc.
Over the years, I’ve had different routines for my everyday makeup, some more elaborate than others though, but nonetheless requiring I spend a certain amount of time in front of the mirror *le sigh*. I shared one of these routines here but this post is about my most recent routine.
Unlike the last one, I actually wear lip colour more often now and I think that’s a step in the right direction. But overall, the basic steps to achieving a quick and easy makeup look every day remain the same.
- Moisturise Your Skin: No matter how lazy I am, I never cleanse my face without moisturising afterwards either with a cream, serum or oil. Make this a habit as it lays a great foundation for all the other things you’ll be layering.
- Find Your Rhythm: Don’t let anyone rush you into doing makeup the way they do it. Find your own way. A couple of years ago there was all the talk about eyes first or foundation first. I’ve always been a ‘foundation first’ girl and when I’m in a hurry, this is my rhythm – foundation, concealer, brows, eyes, face, lips. This is what works for ME.
- Use Your Old-Faithfuls: First thing in the morning is not the right time to find out if the new black pencil you got is really black and if it smudges just right. NO. Use products that you are familiar with. You can work with them even with your eyes closed. You don’t guess with them because you know all there is to know about these products. Leave the new products to when you have some free time.
- Less is More: You’ll see me rocking great skin and brows with nothing on my eyes most days and gloss or balm on my lips. I LOOK GREAT! And frankly, that’s just the point. I could try for a smoked line around my lashline and mascara but deciding which colour of eyeshadow best complements my look is just not the way to go at all. Ease, simplicity and timeliness are the watchwords for this look.
- Pace Yourself: Find out how long it takes for you to flow through your makeup rhythm, using your old-faithfuls and going for the simplest of looks. Once you have this down pat, you can then throw in a few extras here and there every now and then without being late to work or a meeting and looking just a little bit ‘more’ that day.
Credits: Barbara & 1923