News

Vlisco presents “Funky Grooves”! View the Ad Campaign Images & TV Commercial on BN

BellaNaija.com

The Funky Grooves collection draws from Vlisco‘s proud history, inspired by global urban culture and couture craftsmanship. It’s a collection of contrasts, with edgy street wear influences reinterpreted through a lens of pure glamour. The new collection is a melting pot of ideas, using new colours to update Vlisco’s heritage designs, and classic Vlisco techniques to create new looks.

Raw, geometric lines, traditional wrap shapes, bold metallic studs and edgy industrial hues come together to create a modern vibe. The collection’s colours range from earthy browns, brassy golds and bronzes, to brick reds and shocking pinks, and fresh acid blues and greens. It all comes together in the Funky Grooves collection, for a look that is bold, punky and original, yet feminine and effortlessly easy to wear.

The new Funky Grooves fabrics will also form part of a fashion & accessories collection, which will be available at selected Vlisco boutiques from August 2012.

Credits
Creative concept: Vlisco
Film Direction: Wendelien Daan
Art Direction: Daphne Westland
Dresses: Vlisco & Deux d’Amsterdam
***
PHOTOGRAPHER :WENDELIEN DAAN @ UNIT CMA
STYLIST :THOMAS VERMEER @ UNIT CMA
HAIR: ILHAM MESTOUR @ NCL REPRESENTATION
MAKE UP: LISELOTTE VAN SAARLOOS @ HOUSE OF ORANGE

1. Ginika

August 1, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Vlisco never disappoints with their Ad campaigns

2. Tikka Masala

August 1, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Interesting!

3. stacy

August 1, 2012 at 3:34 pm

lovely!

4. Lue

August 1, 2012 at 3:36 pm

no comment………………….and thats not in a good way

5. Pearl

August 1, 2012 at 3:45 pm

thatz that girl from shuga…ah! i knew it. is that why she left shuga? to concentrate on her career? work it girl!!!!! vlisco just stands out, its on that unshakable paddle stone. nice…

• TopeTohBaddd

August 1, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Nope that’s not her

6. purplepearl

August 1, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Oh dear, the models!

7. eye

August 1, 2012 at 3:56 pm

one word! FANTASTICA

8. Princess of Zion

August 1, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Great designs, great shoot, amazing campaign! Well done Vlisco

9. Fulani hair

August 1, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Though there’s nothing African about any of this. Well, except the models. Vlisco has succeeded to tricking us to think this is all indigenous.

• Jull

August 1, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Well said! I wish more people understood that Vlisco is a European company that only hires Europeans (except the models of course). Yes, the fabrics are beautiful but this ad is a European’s vision of what they think African women should be wearing.

• Fulani hair

August 2, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Not like I won’t Vlisco, Woodin or any other of their fabrics, but not with the ‘I’m afrocentric’ mindset. Too bad out local textile industry died and now everything ‘African’ is either European or cheap Chinese imitations. *off to the adire market*

• Queen

August 5, 2012 at 4:38 am

• Queen

August 5, 2012 at 4:39 am

I think a lot of people know this, if not too bad, its like china producing fabrics for western designers, please take sit!!! Our country doesn’t produce mass fabrics, and we have found something signature for our selves, please you guys are always looking for something to say, appreciate the art of the fabrics !! When you can provide 24hours electricity and machinery to make mass produced good quality fabrics that we can all accept as a signature here then you can talk! shesssh! I meant take seat 😉

• Linda

August 6, 2012 at 5:09 pm

LOVE LOVE your comment! Very TRUE!

10. Ndidi

August 1, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I like! The great thing about this collection is that the mix of colors and the casual, yet effortlessly chic way the models are wearing the long skirts and blouses, is exactly how I’ve seen typically traditional women all over Africa throw their pieces together every day. I have always personally felt that across the African continent, the ordinary African woman with her mix of colors and effortless styling had a street-smart, casual, practical and edgy sense of style that is MORE fashionable than anything Paris, NY, Lagos, SAfrica, Los Angeles, or other fashion hotspots could ever top.

11. Miss Gina

August 1, 2012 at 4:41 pm

who wears Vlisco though?

• Queen

August 1, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I do, and my mom too ^_^

August 1, 2012 at 10:01 pm

My mum and every other Northern Nigerian woman I know wear Vlisco/ Hollandais. We buy the material and sew ‘atampa’ not any of the styles above.

12. grey

August 1, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Very creative…wearable for the runway But u wont catch or see me in a y of those pieces

13. Jennifer

August 1, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Vlisco is where its at!

14. juju

August 1, 2012 at 5:07 pm

xcpt 4 d dress in the middle in the 2nd pic. d rest 4 me is a NO! NO! many ppl who were vlisco me included, would not b caught in any of dz wl xcpt bt 1. we already kno d colors on a vlisco fabric is much nd d design(pattern) on dem r complicated hence a simple, classy nd well thot presentation… the color mixture generally i think is toooooooooo off. tho d styls might b ok, i really jst cn see dt!!

15. QueenofEverything

August 1, 2012 at 5:12 pm

the word “edgy” comes to mind… loves it!!

16. Janded

August 1, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Very creative. Love it!

17. Mimi

August 1, 2012 at 5:29 pm

wonderful, very lovely and different

18. florence

August 1, 2012 at 6:17 pm

hmmmmm. yimu.

19. christy

August 1, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Waste of fabric,who wear dem,luv d models anyway,bt nt d face

• lwkmd

August 1, 2012 at 8:18 pm

you can only buy the fabrics I dnt even think that they sell the gowns they’re just created for the ad campaigns

20. juliet

August 1, 2012 at 6:40 pm

wonderfu

21. Udy

August 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Beautiful asemble.

22. goldfinch

August 1, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Great modelling I see here.
    However, OJIGBIJIGBI is all I can say about the model on the left of the very first pic.
    She is wor to the urrrrg!

23. @ajiriavae

August 1, 2012 at 8:41 pm

The dress designs are not what is being advertised, it’s the fabric. Some of the fabric designs are nice but I find others a bit dull for my taste. Also, does Vlisco have a shop in Lagos? The only place were I know Vlisco is sold is in London.

• tk

August 2, 2012 at 8:55 am

Their office is in Japaul House,beside Regency Hall, Alausa lagos. Not just sure if they sell there.

24. Cool cat

August 1, 2012 at 9:16 pm

The campaign is primarily for the fabric. The designs are just an edgy representation of vlisco fabric to make it more desirous. I am sure they are not asking that we wear such avant garde looks. This is pure fashion but the models are oooooooooglyyyyyyyy.

25. valentine

August 1, 2012 at 9:26 pm

One of the best fashion editorial shoots iv seen ever! Good photography,art directing and styling,top notch fantastic! Kudos vlisco!

26. laide

August 1, 2012 at 9:28 pm

me I dont like this oo…and am surprise most people here ‘love’ it…maybe I should watch the video and come back to comment.

27. N

August 1, 2012 at 9:59 pm

abeg!! wat is dis???

28. Kona

August 1, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Absolutely Stunning! The garments are architectural, and the prints are gorgeous. The models are on fire!

29. Christine

August 2, 2012 at 1:31 am

this is absolutely not fashion forward. the creative director needs to be fired. its 2012 and all you can come up with is puffed skirts and lousy makeup? SMDH.

30. Christine

August 2, 2012 at 1:35 am

OH and for people saying its not a fashion editorial, its just to show off the fabrics…..PLEASE STOP. Seriously? It doesn’t matter what you’re selling, if the editorial doesn’t make you want to own/wear/buy/invest in the product, then the POINT WAS MISSED COMPLETELY. An editorial should SELL the product regardless of what it is…and right now, i don’t find any of these vlisco fabrics appealing in any way. again the creative director needs to be fired

31. toyosi

August 2, 2012 at 2:04 am

oh my! those pumps

32. nma

August 2, 2012 at 4:36 am

this ad is for naija or europe because if you are saying naijaa then use models that we can identify with photographers makeup artist etc has be naija that way we canb sa it truelly a naija market you are targwtting .you can be be here and import ideas that are alian to our market you target marlet should be asoebi maket that’s wher the bulk of your attention should be focused

33. Berry Choco Latte

August 2, 2012 at 9:31 am

So I was looking at this article on my phone and wasn’t sure I liked it. Switched to a desktop, and I’m still not sure. Does this mean I don’t like it?

• Okwy

August 13, 2012 at 4:29 pm

yes ke!

34. Chinwendu

August 2, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Ok so here is from the Vlisco website

The Vlisco Group is a company with an exciting story to tell. For the past 165 years, Vlisco has created high-end and highly desired textiles, which have become part of the vibrant culture of West and Central Africa. Currently Vlisco Group has four brands in it’s portfolio: Vlisco, Woodin, Uniwax and GTP. Design, Fashion, Creativity, Innovation and Quality are the overall brand values. With headquarters in Holland, production facilities in Holland, Ivory Coast and Ghana, numerous local commercial organizations and around 2.400 employees, Vlisco Group is expanding and looking for candidates who can contribute to the ambitious growth plans for the near future. Individuals who feel at home in our International culture and can relate to the dynamic and creative nature of our business. Individuals who themselves have a story to tell.

We Africans keep deluding ourselves that we are dressing “African” (me included) when we wear clothes made from Ankara fabrics…sorry guys…na lie…we are enriching the West as usual. #takenote!

35. BSAM

August 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Not a bad collection. Please check out a video we produced to launch our fashion collection.

36. Gyann

August 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm

hahaha. just kept laffing. confused, are those pockets am seeing on the dresses? i hope not.

37. babe

August 2, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Superb

38. Brendz

August 2, 2012 at 3:53 pm

dat aunty is black sha o…..if nepa take light……. :l

39. debby

August 2, 2012 at 4:31 pm

seriously,i like the prints..buh not too sure about the whole ad campaign concept,its not more of African…cant you just make the gurls dressed in the prints going to market,or at a naming ceremony,or some good African concept since its OUR attire??

40. chuchusweets

August 2, 2012 at 5:56 pm

See kilinkilin star wrapper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol Hollandis

41. Winifred

August 2, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Nonsense campaign jooooooo! If a Nigerian designer did kind of stuff,you people will say so many uncomplimentary things.besides visco is too expensive in Naija. Abeg high target any day for me

42. E!

August 2, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I love Vilsco prints… I would love to model for them!! Bella any hook up?

43. Me2me

August 3, 2012 at 9:08 am

Yea yeah yeah, … and every other northern Nigerian woman….. Please note that most Nigerian women wear vlisco not just the northerners u know. Kai I sound racist maybe its just the way the lady replied.

Okay Vlisco prints are awesome and the textile lasts. But the photos nd ad campaign, abeg abeg abeg, the praise goes only to the director and photographer. Knowing that they dont hire africans is sad sha. Well until someone in Nigeria comes up with something close too this or better ill continue to patronise them.

44. IGBOFILLE

August 3, 2012 at 10:05 am

Every where I see, scary looking models. Thank you commentators for letting me know that vlisco is not african. Well I’m not a native attire person sha. They are only advertising their prints cos anyone who wears cloths sown like this will be laughed @ in a party. case closed. Bella post my comment o.

45. traveller

August 3, 2012 at 1:16 pm

amazing designs!!

46. Yinka Ogunbajo

August 3, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Somewhat outrageous! Not feeling the mixing of 2 or more patterns!

47. Jimi Phruntlyne

August 5, 2012 at 10:47 am

Photography I Love

48. Francesca

August 7, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Great photography, gorgeous models
    I love the prints on these designs but I wouldn’t pair them together this way. Nice campaign though

49. Fola

August 7, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Going through these comments, Nigerians love to complain and criticism about everything. You cannot please people. This ad is stunning, the models are perfect for high fashion, and the designs are truly innovative and beautiful! Some people only can appreciate a lower level of taste. Someone in these comments went “why didn’t they shoot the girls in the market” ….. abeg …

50. Mn

August 7, 2012 at 11:30 pm

This ad is just ok.. In my opinion the models overshadowed the outfits, it was more abt em, than about the fabric, which isn’t what this AD was about.. Feels like the creative director tried too hard. The models are stunning.. But that’s just it.. The outfits/fabrics do nothing for me..

51. cynthia emili

August 13, 2012 at 12:12 am

i patiently waiting for when they make nigeria as one of the fashion cities in the world.**waiting waiting waiitnnggggg….cuz i dont see anything milan or newyork have that we dont.

52. Funky Clothing

September 25, 2012 at 8:50 am

The dress designs are looking quite fabulous and the color combination is also very impressive.