News

Eku Edewor is the “Fashion Muse” for the September 2012 Issue of StyleMania Magazine

BellaNaija.com

Fashionista/TV presenter Eku Edewor is the cover girl for StyleMania Magazine‘s new issue. The cover of the magazine reveals Eku in a simple white shirt, minimalist makeup and popping red hair in a bun. Check out the official press release and photos from the new issue below.

The September Issue of StyleMania Magazine features on the cover 53Extra’s presenter Eku Edewor, the multi-talented model and budding actress reveals all she has been and what she hopes to achieve in a few years. Also is an enlightening profile of Samson Siasia, the first Nigerian to make the Johnnie Walker Walk With Giant campaign. Two great fashion editorials begs the question- Do you want to splurge or save?

Credits

Model: Oiza @ Beth Models

1. Nikki

September 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Beautiful” Love Eku Style<3

2. Bukki

September 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I totally love the different colour palettes used for both the nails and the lips. Bold and trendy.cutting edge. Like the styling of the pocket squares too, quirky yet fresh. Mania is definately on the way to being our own Vogue.

3. Bukki

September 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm

D lips and nails in beauty mania.

4. cathy

September 10, 2012 at 1:11 pm

interesting buy

5. sassycassie

September 10, 2012 at 1:14 pm

i’m guessing eku is the only woman in Nigeria. and no, i’m not hating.

• Bolivia

September 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Sorry hun, but you are hating! lol! what a polite way to pass your jelly comment across ;-)Anyway, apparently she fits in to their recommendations. Business is about making money and if there is only one person you see fit in your eyes that will rake in the dollar for you….with no appologies, you’l go for it by all means!

6. Lue

September 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm

• baker

September 16, 2012 at 9:07 pm

yup she is

7. Eri

September 10, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I see Sassycassie’s point, but when you’re flavour of the decade, beautiful, smart, get the job, and you have the goods to deliver, by every means be the It Girl. But I think Eku is here to stay; she understands her craft and she is getting better at it. Another truth is that Eku gets the business without looking like a hustler. So please Eku by all means own your craft and I love you for getting it!

8. alexandra

September 10, 2012 at 2:36 pm

nigerians r not over d halfcaste syndrome……….

• Madam the Madam

September 10, 2012 at 6:09 pm

That would be “bi-racial” ma’am.

• JJ

September 11, 2012 at 1:13 am

They are not o! That is why we still invest in” biracial” creams in order to look like our colonial masters.
      I like Eku though. Well, I don’t know her so I would say I like Eku’s style especially for someone who lives in Nigeria. I know how loud or all over the place we get with our fashion sense. I think she keeps is simple but still makes a statement.

9. Temiyemi

September 10, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Lola Maja’s makeup. LOVE it!

10. Chattyzee

September 10, 2012 at 2:41 pm

11. faith

September 10, 2012 at 3:13 pm

she loos
    Eku is so beautiful..thumbsup BMania…

12. fatty babe

September 10, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Slim girls rock,and they will till eternity……imao I’m off to the gym,cutting my food intact,no more all the sweetie stuff I eat every weekend,thinking it enjoyment…..with much effort,I must get there,by fire by fire!!!!!!!!

• brittany

September 11, 2012 at 9:17 am

LMAAAOOO by fire by force..just make sure ure not underweight

13. chioma

September 10, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Eku is hard working and smart. I rather see her than some girls, besides. Some actress will not work like her .let her do her thing.

14. Banke

September 10, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Exactly. I ask myself this question, would she have hit this big, and this fast if she was full blooded African. I highly doubt it. It is our obsession, with light skinned people, who we automatically rank as more beautiful, and the eternal 9ja fascination with anything white, or related to white. Honestly, I really dont see anything special. Coat her in black skin, and you’ll walk right past her without even noticing. You’ll probably only stop to think, why in the world is that girl so thin, and you’ll have a few choice words to say and pass, but she’s mixed race now, so its okay to look waif like (and thats putting it mildly) and even praised for it. I watched her on the show How she left my brother, and I said Eku cant act at all, and I found the switch between the british and american accent quite unnerving. She’s riding the coatails of her bi racial heritage, and I will say kudos to her. If people are ready to lap it up, by all means, more fool to them, while she smiles home to the bank. My only beef will be if other girls are passed up over Eku, now that will tick me off, because a black girl wont be chosen over a white girl in the modelling/celebutante world in Europe or America, so, we shouldnt do it to our own people.

• AB

September 10, 2012 at 8:52 pm

@Banke

Very well said.

• Moxie

September 11, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Your own people? Are you implying she isnt Nigerian? Please don’t be racist and small minded. You sound really envious and bitter. Its quite sad. I hope you get over your dislike for people of mixed heritage.

• Queen

September 11, 2012 at 4:16 pm

WOOOOOOW Just one bloody cover and this is what comes to your head, how about this, i think you guys praise light skins on your own. If you know there is nothing special about being light skinned then you wouldnt be talking all tho crap. You want to know what is special about eku, why she has gotten far? its hard work, and she was lucky enough to be raised or born in a well educated home. Unlike other illiterate nigerian actors and actresses that cannot speak english. She is well educated, very stylish, she made a name for her self, and hard working, hmm what else??? She came 7th place in britain and irelands next top model, and that gave her opportunities to do other things. Thats what happens when you do something with your life instead of sitting down on your computer giving foolish criticism. There is nothing special about being light skinned you retard, and there never will be, however there will be something about a pretty girl who used her beauty in a positive way, and carried her brain along with her. Stop your foolish jealousy, get up and do something important with your life. Eku is a star just like other celebrities, she just has better style, and that gave her opportunities in the fashion and entertainment world, thats what happens when you dress nice, thank you i will finish blabbing now :p GET A LIFE

• Layo

September 13, 2012 at 12:08 am

7th position. LMAO. You were making sense, and not sounding like a kiss ass, until i read that line, and it made nonsense of everything, you wrote before, and you just sounded like a brown nosier. Abeg park well bare. When next your child comes 7th place in class, please throw a party. Anofia. Instead of you trying to see the sense in what banke is saying, you quickly jumped on the no one should diss Eku’s bandwagon. Abeg, what does her ass taste like, it different from black girls cos you have sure licked the hell out of it. Mschew

• Queen

September 11, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Also i think eku is the first light skinned i have seen on fashion muse magazine, how about talking crap to the magazine for not showing a light skinned girl, like there aren’t any in the industry!! Take seat __/

• baker

September 16, 2012 at 9:21 pm

You know people like you are the ones that have this biracial mentality. Its simple, the fact is that Eku is pretty. There were many cover girls before her. Its not like its her every week. Its just that this year she is in the spotlight. Next year might not be the same. Shasha P didn’t stay on the cover forever neither did Mochedda or Tiwa Savage or Folake Coker or all the “fully african” women that have ever been on the cover but while they were on no one said anything bad. You all said its good that nigerian women are coming into themselves, you didn’t criticise, you didn’t hate. But now that everyone suddenly takes a keen interest in a girl who yes is Biracial, Half Caste by all means half white and black the fire works suddenly set off. And then when people don’t hate and say they like her you accuse them of following this doctrine of favouring half caste people over black people. I dare say that it is you who criticise that have the problem. Whats wrong with her being on the cover? What didn’t she do? What doesn’t qualify her? If anything i believe she has every right because she has to go through all of your rubbish on sites like this and she hasn’t broken down yet. You have never gone through this much media publicity or criticism so who are you to judge or say who shouldn’t be on and who should. You guys think all they do is wake up and look beautiful so that they can show of and watch you talk about them. I sure they wish it was that easy but i am certain its not. Someone once told me before you say something write it down then you’d see your words before they came out. Before you write something on websites write it about two times and just think about how the person you are writing about may feel if they read it. Being brave is not about having the courage to say things to people its about having the wisdom to know what to say,when to say it and how to say it.

me

15. looters

September 10, 2012 at 5:29 pm

i lovvvveeeeeee the cover with Eku on it. simple and gorgeous. but i’m a bit dissapointed with her fashion spread inside. it’s so… meh :/

16. tarsha

September 10, 2012 at 5:43 pm

kul work i luv it all.

17. name

September 10, 2012 at 6:49 pm

eku rocks! simples!

18. name

September 10, 2012 at 7:07 pm

black, white or pink. Eku is pretty and nobody can take that from her. what’s most important she seems very determined and energetic about her career (whichever it is). I get the impression she doesnt care what the world thinks of her and that in my opinion is ace!
    Is there a law that says you should be persecuted for switching btw accents? where do pple get all these dos and dont’s from? so i should go and slap the indian boy that switches btw his indigenous accent and a british accent? that’s how someone said you should not wear a hermes belt for a professional picture lool oga o!

• Tasha

September 10, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Don’t mind haters! it’s not her fault that she’s bi-racial and beautiful at that! moreover there are a billion and one mixed raced young women in Nigeria who aren’t even noticed. Eku knows her craft and works it well. I hear she’s very proffessional too and that to me is her cutting edge!
      Anyway, as the saying goes “a lazy labourer will always blame his tools” ……so, no doubt haters are taking a leaf from the good old saying!

Strut your stuff Eku! you’re a nigerian “It-girl” obviously

19. Africanbeauty

September 10, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Nobody is disregarding the fact that she’s pretty or hardworking, the point of the matter is, lighter skin obsession is everywhere. Nigeria, the most black populated nation is also suffering from lighter skin superiority and darker skin inferiority complex. Here in America, Black Americans are fighting for the dark/brown skin to be more represented. But, it’s even more understanding because America is a “white nation”. Nothing against her personally because mixed race and lighter skin sells the most and she’s using that to her advantage. It’s quite sad, maybe pathetic when Nigerians are more obsessed with white skin, white hair, everything Western than their own natural God given skin color and hair. And, naturally light skin Nigerians with no mix are put on a pedestal. Whether there are light or white skin Africans, Africa still represent “dark”, which means majority are dark skin. So, why not push that more instead of emulating the west so bad.

• JJ

September 11, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Too bad countries like America, Canada, and Australia are seen as nations for white people when the white man stole these places from the aboriginals who happen to darker in complexion.

20. AC

September 10, 2012 at 8:54 pm

@Banke

Well said!

21. hotmq

September 10, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I love lola maja’s make-up and shamo looks very beautiful.

22. randommmer

September 11, 2012 at 1:32 am

why do ppl insist on this bi racial term? jeez. does anyone ever say half caste in a derogatory manner? (other than the choice haters above, shamo is also mixed btw, hate on her too) this is not america please. before now, they will come and say don’t call your children pikin because picaninnies were slave children in america.

23. randommmer

September 11, 2012 at 1:34 am

btw i see you shamo!

24. millbill

September 11, 2012 at 7:55 am

Honestly I think a lot of people are just beefing or don’t understand the concept of life.how many mixed raced girls are there in Nigeria? And are all of them on every magazine cover?I don’t think so.I’m sure both girls on the covers were chosen for a specific reason not theirskin colour.so because we are in Africa we shouldn’t celebrate all kinds of black cus I know both girls and they are both Nigerian.if Geneva was on the cover would we start saying because she is blackor has a darker skin color and we are in Africa she deserves it more?I think Eku is a very fashionable and hard working young lady and shamo is a very Beautiful girl and they both deserve it.

25. millbill

September 11, 2012 at 8:11 am

Genevieve *

26. Usaveone

September 11, 2012 at 8:32 am

Everything nice!

Check: http://usaveone.blogspot.com

27. alexandra

September 11, 2012 at 8:41 am

madam the madam whether na bi racial,multi racial or whatever…….wellll u understood what i meant…..

28. ELDORADO

September 11, 2012 at 10:15 am

I LOVE EKU

29. Trendysturvs

September 11, 2012 at 4:23 pm

30. isabella

September 11, 2012 at 4:52 pm

lol…weda u girls like it or not the lighter skin will catch the eyes faster thus the magazine cover. Doesn’t mean black girls are not hot. I dont know y this has become a “skin colour issue”. Appreciate the lady’s hard work and move on. I’m dark skinned and i love it but i dont kid myself. In business you aim is to sell….If you want to be on magazine covers by all means do something that’ll make you STAND OUT

• JJ

September 11, 2012 at 9:57 pm

It may “catch” the eyes faster but you have to bear in mind that besides the white man f- with our mentality, the media is heavily responsible for our perception of beauty. And so I know that the media has to power to show people that all colors are beautiful. My question is if they are willing to empower people through diversity.
      I personally do not have any issue with Eku being on any magazine cover. She is pretty and popular, so why not. No one complains when Genevieve, Stephanie, or even thicker girls are on magazine covers. I’m most interested in diversity and seeing Nigerians accepting that they are beautiful and black instead of relying on fake hair, fake complexion, pretentious lifestyle, etc to feel good!

31. Tunmi

September 11, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Hmm…the first photo of her looks too photoshopped and the hair in the second and third pic looks out of place. She is a pretty lady but frankly, the lady in the stylemania ad (3 pictures, the lady has a crew cut/short hair cut) is more striking and appealing to me.

32. habba!

September 11, 2012 at 7:41 pm

this is my second time commenting and im going to say wht i have to say!! the only reason nigerians are going crazy for this girl is because she is Biracial/ mixed! its an African mentality that keeps the white perspective in charge and its something people actually learn to fight against in SCHOOL! so i dont knw what is bella naijas problem not posting comments! hiss

33. i no send

September 11, 2012 at 11:25 pm

@ banke….. well said

34. Mz Socially Awkward...

September 12, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I don’t know Eku from my postman but I do know this – Nigerian women are one of the most critical group of women in this world.

That said, I’ve got nothing but love and respect for any sister who’s trying to move her legal hustle to the next level and decently doing her thing. Carry on making your dreams real, Eku.

35. sassycassie

September 12, 2012 at 3:15 pm

*sigh* no one is hating on Eku or knocking her hustle or even saying she’s ugly. Most folks just cant get the whole obsession with anyone and anything that doesnt look or sound nigerian. i dont get why nigerians refer to people who dont kiss ass or engage in hero(ine) worship as haters. please that ish is getting old

36. olorile

September 12, 2012 at 8:34 pm

so because I’m not on here kissing her ass my point of view is not going to be shared? wow this is blocking the fundamental human right which is freedom of speech! Quite pathetic! the major reason she is being photographed more than the other talented industry women in Nigeria is because she is on LIGHTER SKIN and does not look traditional African. take it or leave it, its the fact and its a shame that u are embarrassed to admit it! smh!

37. Africanbeauty

September 15, 2012 at 12:37 am

@ Olorile

Exactly. Nigerians crack me up. One minute we are screaming we love being black and telling whites to respect us more then another minute we are praising and obsessed with everything light or white. The truth of the matter is, I doubt she would have made it this far if she wasn’t mixed race. The fact is, nothing special about her model pose or fashion style, she’s just average. I will take the chika girl over her anyday. That girl is just naturally FIERCE, she has the supermodel potential all over her. Unfortunately, Nigeria being the most black population are still mentally enslaved and are obsessed with everything west. Colonization is a disease.