News

And the Prize Goes to… Anthony Onah! Watch “Dara Ju” – Winner of the Movie Category at the Afrinolly Short Film Competition

BellaNaija.com

Still riding on the buzz of all the excitement from the maiden edition of the Afrinolly Short Film Competition, BellaNaija is very happy to show support to all the upcoming film makers who are making great strides in the industry.

Anthony Onah‘s film “Dara Ju” emerged as the 1st prize winner in the movie category of the competition.

Watch the film here and share your thoughts.

1. Gold digger

March 14, 2013 at 12:53 pm

i really this short film….. nollywood could learn a lot from this

2. Mama Mia

March 14, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Wow! I want more!!!

3. timi

March 14, 2013 at 1:29 pm

the yoruba conversations are pathetic!!

• beanie

March 14, 2013 at 1:59 pm

so were the african accents in coming to America.so?

4. Teris

March 14, 2013 at 2:35 pm

advising myself: …if u can’t say something nice…

5. giggy

March 14, 2013 at 2:36 pm

nice one though.. the yoruba accent? not werking for me.

6. 5'5

March 14, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Tunde is a hottie sha.

7. GreenDiamond

March 14, 2013 at 2:46 pm

wait soo what exactly is d story bout sigh.. i lyked it tho

• iCrossMyHeart

March 15, 2013 at 5:29 am

The complexity in hybrid identities. He is English and at the same time Yoruba. But he is conflicted in trying to marry these multiple identities and in being one, he is betraying the other, and vice versa. Not only is he trying to marry his cultural identities, he also has to navigate through his class as well. Pretending to be a trust fund baby in order to fit in, and yet finds out that in fitting in, he does not really get what he wants (in this case, the girl).

8. Kiki

March 14, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I love it!!!

9. Gorgeous

March 14, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Am confused as hell. How did this win??? Speaking Yoruba like they swallowed a frog. lol. I dont think if they speak if slowly, oyinbo people will understand what they are saying.

10. nnenne

March 14, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Tunde is an eye candy! a finer and younger version of Isaiah Washington. *lovestruck*

11. Kiki

March 14, 2013 at 3:15 pm

The lady’s nose though……………………………….creeps out of here in shame…………………i really did try to hold my tongue.

• iCrossMyHeart

March 15, 2013 at 5:30 am

That is very rude of you. If you had commented on her acting skill, which she can improve, then your comment would not have been harsh. But commenting on her nose, which is naturally given and beautiful (because I am aware of the Euro-centric standards of beauty that is deeply entrenched in our cultural discourses), is very rude and crass.

• Kiki

March 15, 2013 at 11:18 am

Hahahaha, go out and enjoy the fresh air. you must be desperate for a hug.

• Oyinmomo

March 15, 2013 at 7:55 am

@Kiki…you shoulda nailed ur tongue to the cross.

• iCrossMyHeart

March 16, 2013 at 12:47 am

Lol…I am the one in need of a hug and yet you are poking fun at someone’s nose….ask your oga on top about your ignorance that is all.

• iba

March 17, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Very very very rude of you…

• Moi

September 3, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Hahahaha!!! Glad you added shame to it sha lol! Otherwise I woulda understood why this people are drinking panadol!

12. Retrochic

March 14, 2013 at 6:02 pm

@kiki, d woman is ***, the acting was wonderful, buh wats dt the end, cuz i didnt quite understand

13. Omojeje

March 14, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Tunde is cute men! Fine boy ,me likey! Fantastic acting! Good video, good coordination and above all senseless short story/video.. What’s the koko really?

14. Msunderstood

March 15, 2013 at 12:05 am

Great production n acting. I wanted more sha. Im Yoruba but I didn’t understand d Yoruba they spoke, lol.

15. Miss K

March 15, 2013 at 12:23 am

They did a great job and the guys a hottie! Thought i’d seen him somewhere, he’s the guy from Merlin.

16. the truth!!

March 15, 2013 at 3:19 am

Tunde is Adetomiwa Edun from Merlin

17. Oyinmomo

March 15, 2013 at 8:02 am

The acting was superb. Gloria’s expressions were not just in words, but her eyes and body language spoke as well.
    Mehn..the yoruba! The Alaafin of Oyo could get them jailed for speaking like that o..not to talk of Ifa holding them to ransom..lol

18. Mama Put

March 15, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Enjoyed this! The picture quality, sound, storyline, acting etc! Superb! Don’t think the authenticity of their Yoruba accents or lack of has anything to do with how great the film is! Ignore that!

19. Busy Sade

March 15, 2013 at 5:37 pm

The problem of not being able to speak Yoruba properly is clearly one part of the identity issues the film is addressing . A very interesting summary of the hydrid group/culture that is developing. We are now breeding global children who have vague knowledge about their roots and an unwillingness to identify with it. It is a serious issue

• iCrossMyHeart

March 16, 2013 at 12:49 am

I agree wholeheartedly. And it seems parents are not fazed by this erasure of our cultural identities. They are willing participants in this erasure. The more “white” we appear, the better. It is an indication of our supposed “modernity”. Lose your language, lose your sense of self, and we are losing our backwardness.

20. Adeola

March 15, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I’m sorry, but the NYSC video should have won, don’t get this video although of good acting and quality with wack Yoruba.

21. iba

March 17, 2013 at 4:59 pm

i liked it but i didnt really get the message or did i? When it ended i went ”huh” i wanted more. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh films like this get me anyway. Good one good one. Oh yeah thats the merlin guy never knew he was of Nigerian heritage….

22. Jinadu Olufunmilayo

March 18, 2013 at 11:28 am

This was a great film. Acting was superb and they were being portrayed to have frown up in the states. How will their yoruba be fluent. plus we need to stop looking at things from face value and look at the deeper meanings from the in-depth perspective of the writer. Emotions were expressed but all some of us saw was “nose”. shallow are we?

23. Jinadu Olufunmilayo

March 18, 2013 at 11:29 am

*grown

24. Ngum

March 22, 2013 at 11:45 pm

This film reminds me of The Namesake – an Indian take on conflicted identity. I see it in a lot of Western born African kids. Great pic and acting. These guys should take this know-how home. However, the SA entry was a stronger contender in my opinion.

25. tolulope

March 27, 2013 at 1:27 am

did I just waste 15mins cos I just dint understand the head n tail of this film

26. Jo!

April 2, 2013 at 8:22 am

1) How on earth did this win? I’ve seen much better videos that were entered for tthe competition
    2) Glad they made an effort with the Yoruba, but I’m sorry, I get really irritated when my language is murdered like this, so, this really scored low with me.
    I had really been looking forward to seeing this video, so this is a huge disappoinment

27. Jo!

April 2, 2013 at 8:23 am

@Funmi The woman was not supposed to have grown up in the US, so her Yoruba is supposed to be fluent, the guy, understandable