Career

Teach Hausa or Yoruba in the U.S.A | Apply for the 2013 Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) program

BellaNaija.com

FulbrightFLTAProgramThe Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy Abuja invites applications from qualified Nigerians wishing to teach Hausa or Yoruba languages and cultures to American students in U.S. universities and colleges.

The Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) program is a nine month non-degree course funded by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and administered by the Institute of International Education. The objective of the program is to strengthen foreign language instruction at U.S. colleges, universities, and some high schools, while providing future teachers from abroad the opportunity to refine their skills, increase their English language proficiency, and expand their knowledge of U.S. society and culture.  FLTA fellows must return to their home countries upon completion of their programs to teach English at the secondary or university level.

All applications must meet the following criteria:

• Applications must be completed and submitted online.
  • Applicants should request that the academic office of their institution send a stamped copy of their transcripts in a sealed envelope to: The Public Affairs Section, U.S. Embassy, Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central Area, Abuja, Attention: Cultural Affairs Officer.
  • Other documents to be submitted include academic credentials, signed and stamped letters of reference, and the photo page of a valid Nigerian passport.
  • The application can be accessed at http://apply.embark.com/student/fulbright/flta
  • Applicants must be teachers of English or in training to become teachers of English.
  • Applicants must possess a university degree in English, Language Arts, or combined honors.
  • Applicants must be fluent in English, demonstrated by a TOEFL score of 79-80 (Internet based testing) or 6.0 (overall score International English Language Testing System-IELTS).
  • Applicants must be between 21 and 29 years old at the time of application.
  • Applicants must demonstrate maturity, dependability, integrity and professionalism.
  • Applicants must be physically present in their home country throughout the nomination and selection process.

Application opens: January 1, 2013

Application Closes: April 30, 2013

For further inquiries, please contact Cultural Affairs Assistant, U.S. Embassy, Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central Area, Abuja.
Email:[email protected] or U.S. Consulate General, #2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, Lagos;

1. Phantom

March 5, 2013 at 7:40 am

This is just funny. While foreigners are looking to learn about our culture, we are doing all we can to hide it. It never fails to amaze me when parents proudly say ‘my kids dont speak vernacular’. To what end is that?? My uncle only wears native wears when he’s outside the country and he’s always thrilled by the number of people who stop him to ask about his garb.

We need to learn to be proud of who we are; thats the only way we can have an identity.

• Ikunkun

March 5, 2013 at 8:14 am

Abegiii….how this buba and shoro story take concern the matter wey dey for ground??shift jere…
      Meanawhila…I was all excited when I saw this until I saw the “must have a degree in English” part….OUCHHH!!

2. Y

March 5, 2013 at 7:47 am

Igbo kwanu?

3. POSHILLA!!

March 5, 2013 at 8:41 am

@Y AM ASKING D SAME QUES ? KEDU MAKA IGBO LANGUAGE?

4. francis oyedeji

March 5, 2013 at 8:56 am

I am a pround Nigerian from a Yoruba desendant, I am happy if other countries of the world like to learn our own language too, Because most especially in european countirs they speak their own native language as official language, so lets give kudos to them

• Lilian P Bernard

October 19, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I am from the caribbean. I was told by my brother, now deceased, that he did all the research and that we came from the Yoruba Tribe in Southern Nigeria. He spoke several different dialcts. I would like to learn to speak at least one Yoruba dialect but do not know of any classes offered in the Washington Dc/ maryland area.

• Tolulope

May 26, 2016 at 8:49 pm

U can always msg me on my email to teach u Yoruba language,that’s what am studying in the University.my email is [email protected] and my number is 2348142220365.

5. pynk

March 5, 2013 at 8:57 am

they wanna catch fraudsters and money launderers. Just kidding.

6. Ronky

March 5, 2013 at 9:17 am

Igbo nko?

7. Soraya

March 5, 2013 at 11:53 am

I don’t understand this ad- they want teachers to teach Hausa/Yoruba in the US but they insist that the teacher should have an English degree or in training to be a teacher of English language- doesn’t make sense!!!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 5, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Anyone who’s selected will be teaching people that speak English as their principal language and I suppose the Fulbright awarding body needs to be sure the Nigerian teacher is properly certified in understanding and instructing people in English before unleashing him or her on a class of impressionable young minds. I expect they don’t want a teacher who doesn’t know the difference between nouns and verbs or who can’t differentiate an adjective from an adverb.

Besides, this requirement of presenting formal evidence of any Nigerian’s proficiency in English is quite normal when you consider (as many commenters here love to point out) that English is not our first language. You always have to submit some type of documentary evidence showing you can speak the language when you apply to attend western universities as a student so imagine how much stricter the rules become when you apply to those same universities as a lecturer….

• Tiki

March 5, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Yes o, let them present degrees in English language! Lest those kids start saying things like ‘would’ instead of ‘will’…

• KT

March 6, 2013 at 9:17 am

It makes sense. Those teachers must first be able to communicate very well with the American students they will be going there to teach. Having a degree in or the intention to teach English also ensures that the program is not a one-way street. By the time you’re done teaching American students Yoruba, you will also have learnt enough to add to your own teaching career to benefit your home country.

8. Ad

March 5, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Thats great, foreign countries learning ours….good improvement.

bit.ly/13OmUtp

9. admartins

March 5, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I articulate my unreservd gratitude to d U.S. embassy who are interestd in learning our local languages if actually it’s the case.On another vein,l solicit that they also include Igbo language there in their curriculum.DANKE!

• Tiki

March 5, 2013 at 4:05 pm

This your English carry fire…bros, next time just do your thing in your vernacular!

10. funmi

March 5, 2013 at 6:22 pm

for those asking igbo kwanu?, the fact is amongst the three main languages igbo is the hardest to learn and teach properly if you are not a natural born speaker. Second Igbos dont speak their language as much as yorubas or hausa’s do, they have let english slowly take over in some parts. Please am just stating my opinion,

11. Mee

March 5, 2013 at 6:44 pm

U got one reason and failed the other.
    It aint the hardest to learn, just that Igbos don’t feel comfortable speaking their language and as such it losing ‘population’ so to say.
    Our idea of westernization is ur kids not knowing how to speak Igbo which is a shame.

• Specs

March 6, 2013 at 5:12 am

Oh woow…I honestly don’t really see this often…the Igbos around me usually seem very proud of their heritage…they “go home” every holiday season and all.I even started learning to speak Ibo when I was in high school way back when, and all my friends were more than eager to teach me…I guess it’s an internal/new problem within the culture…but you guys have done really well at keeping the problem low-key…lol.

12. Madam the Madam

March 5, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Lord, I hope the tribalists are not going to come and make this a bash Igbo people affair.

13. lulu

March 6, 2013 at 1:47 am

I checked out the Fulbright website and did not find any information there that restricts Igbo or any other Nigerian language apart from Yoruba or Hausa from being eligible for the fellowship. Is this a bureaucratic measure on the Nigerian side? Fulbright scholarships have also been awareded to Igbo language scholars before…please clarify Bellanaija. Very confused.

14. gidson march 7,2013

March 7, 2013 at 2:39 pm

thank God! for white men to recognised nigerian languages,but can they employ an n.c.e?

15. ADELEKE ASIMIYU SEGUN

March 17, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Hi, please i want to make an inquiry concerning the essay they asked us to write because i want to teach yoruba shall i write my essay in yoruba or what do i do please i need your urgent response now thanks.

16. Rukayat

May 23, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Those in US who want to learn or teach Yoruba can do so with the Yoruba Cultural Institute visit learnyoruba.org

17. Idris G. kargi

June 26, 2013 at 7:24 am

This is a welcome idea of teaching hausa/yaroba in u.s but the question here is why are thy not looking a graduat from the languages ?

18. daramola julianah kehinde

July 4, 2013 at 9:00 am

I hereby apply for the post of yoruba in your country .I finished from kwara-stata colloge of education (NCE)where I obtained certificate in yoruba 2000.I promise to discharge my duties accordingly.I will be glad if my request is favourably considered Thanks.yours faithfully Akintola julianah.kehinde

19. Wole Olaleye

March 31, 2014 at 4:15 pm

When is the 2014 Edition of FLTA coming up? We missed the 2013 edition by whiskers.

20. WOLE OLALEYE

June 7, 2014 at 8:10 pm

I am still waiting for the answer to my question on when the 2014 Edition of FLTA will be coming up.