News

“The Nigeria Immigration Service now practices RACISM!” Mixed Race Nigerians Denied Passport Renewal

BellaNaija.com

Stock PhotoIn February 2013, a BellaNaija reader of mixed heritage went to renew her passport at the Nigeria Immigration Service passport office in Ikoyi, Lagos.

Considering that she is Nigerian on all counts;

• She was born and raised in Nigeria
  • She has one Nigerian parent
  • She has been married to a Nigerian husband for over 30 years
  • She has a Nigerian surname
  • She has Nigerian children
  • She has 6 previous Nigerian passports which she showed the officers including one that was still valid (It was due to expire in March 2013)
  • She does not have any other passport and is not a citizen if any other country

With all this taken into consideration, it was expected to be a routine visit.

What she met was this.

After completing the forms, the officer she dealt with informed her that her passport could not be renewed “here”. She instantly asked to see the Officer in charge of the Ikoyi Passport Office. She was ushered to her office where the officer in charge was cordial but told her that “Sorry ma, our ogas have told us that yellow people like you need to go to Abuja to get your new passport. That is our new rule“. Despite explaining that she is Nigerian, born in Nigeria (with place of birth stated on her previous 6 passports), married to a Nigerian for over 30 years and even speaks multiple Nigerian languages, her request was denied!

She had to travel to Abuja to get a new passport. In Abuja, no special questions were asked or no special investigation was carried out to ascertain her “Nigerianness”. Her passport was issued and she returned to Lagos after incurring the expense of a one-week trip from Lagos to Abuja.

Since this first report, several other people have mentioned similar experiences.

Funke and LailaJust a few hours ago, Funke Kuti (PR Executive/Ex-Wife of Femi Kuti)  shared her mother, Laila St Matthew-Daniel‘s experience.

My name is Funke Kuti (Funke Yusuf for those that know me from before before Lol) and I am a Nigerian born and bred. So my Mother Laila st Matthew Daniels went to the passport office to renew her Nigerian passport ( not to get a fresh new one o)

After all the processes and filling of forms at the final point for signing a lady there who is supposed to be one of the ogas looked at her and said “why are you this oyinbo woman lying? you are obviously not a Nigerian. You look like a Niga wife! Go and bring documents to show that you are a Nigerian.”

I was weak when my mother called to tell me how the Lady was shouting and insulting her. My mother showed her all her passports way back to 1982 because her earlier passports and all our belongings got burnt in a house fire. She also tried to explain that at 60 and I repeat 60 years born and bred in her country Nigeria having her own company and most importantly being a champion against domestic violence and abuse under her NGO – Acts Generation, also being a pastor what type of documentation does the woman need? That her mother just died last year.

The oga patapata said she doesn’t care that has far as she is concerned if my mother wants she should dig up the grave of my grandmother to come and testify that she’s a Nigerian! Remember I said she just wanted to renew her old passport not that she was applying for a new one to become a citizen. I am still in shock! Her passport renewal was rejected till she can prove that she is Nigerian.

Seriously what criteria do we need to be registered and regarded as Nigerians especially after she has spent all her 60 yrs born and bred here? What does she mean by you look like a Niga wife? Even if she looks like a half caste just because she’s mixed with mother full calabar and father Lebanese but been here all her life.

Why is she being prosecuted for being Yellow? Married to a Nigerian all her kids are Nigerians at what point after 60 yrs in Nigeria as a citizen would she be regarded as a full Nigerian. If this can happen to my mother because she is a mulatto I can’t imagine what this so called oga has done and said to other people that don’t have a voice. I have a voice and I will use it. As we speak it may be funny for now because I have jokingly been telling my mother she’s an immigrant with no country just to let her calm down and not get depressed.

The truth is her citizens rights have been violated completely by some power drunk passport official. A couple of steps have been taken but I need more advice and support on this. Any suggestions on how to handle this situation please send to me ASAP. Godless us all.My Mother is has and will always be Nigerian no matter the colour of her skin!

With these reports, there has been no formal publicily published update outlining the reason for this new “policy”. There is also no published document that outlines the “new” requirements for mixed race or in the words of the officer “yellow people” to renew their passports.

This is really unfortunate but sadly representative of the way most Nigerian public institutions and agencies work. Inconsistent policies, terrible customer service and the list goes on. We reached out to the Nigerian Immigration Service for a formal statement but no one has been willing to speak up. We constantly complain about the way Nigerian are treated at embassies and abroad but this is what happens to us in our own country.

Photo Credit: Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images

1. Bisi

March 13, 2013 at 7:40 am

If I can offer advice. I say you are heading in the right direction. Use twitter, and blogs to find other people who faced the same discrimination, we have plenty “yellow” people in Nigeria. See if you can get them to sign a petition of some sort. I am hoping you have the name of the officer who treated you unfairly. Make this as public as you can, send it to every blog post it everywhere. This is the hard part contact the NIS directly with your complaint, let them know you have the support of others who went through the same thing. They probably won’t answer you immediately. But if you keep pushing along with the others they eventually will have no choice.
    All this nonsense must stop, we have had enough.

2. Anon

March 13, 2013 at 7:44 am

Lol

3. Dr O

March 13, 2013 at 7:44 am

Kai Naija sef! We too dey do! Do they now require DNA to do passport renewal? LOL even if her mom is mixed, there are also people in the North that resemble the mom as per Fulani and arab blood, are they also not Nigerians? Even after the mixed race like “half caste”, wWhat about those “quarter castes” who look more like their oyinbo side, but who are Nigerians, and whose parents are also Nigerians, are they also not Nigerian?
    What about a mixed Nigerian, who marries another mixed Nigerian, and they live in Nigeria, is this how their child will be treated?
    Last I checked, all one needs to be considered Nigerian according to the government is to have only 1 grand parent who is Nigerian!!! Someone correct me if I am wrong.

• OGO

March 13, 2013 at 8:22 am

One way u r Nigerian is to be born in dis frigging Country like every other country!!!Na wa for Nigerian govt officers and their ignorance sha

• Mae

March 13, 2013 at 9:44 am

LIKE!!!!!! I don’t understand. *smh* Even a naturalised Nigerian IS Nigerian (& this one is even by choice). The main issue here is that they don’t understand what the role of immigration even IS. If you don’t even know what your job is of course you’re gonna do an abysmal job. *sigh*

• Sugabelly

March 13, 2013 at 9:50 am

Actually, NO.

Being born in Nigeria DOES NOT make you a Nigerian.

Nigeria determines who is a Nigerian by Jus Sanguinis ( by blood ) not by Jus Soli ( who is born here ).

In other words, you can only be a Nigerian if you have AT LEAST ONE NIGERIAN GRANDPARENT.

Not by living here, or by marrying a Nigerian, or by owning fifty million Nigerian passports, or even by having Nigerian children.

If you can prove that you are at least quarter Nigerian ( one nigerian grandparent ) then you are a Nigerian and have the right to get your passport anywhere.

If you are less than one quarter Nigerian, then sadly under jus sanguinis you are NOT nigerian and might be processed as a foreigner.

• Adaku

March 13, 2013 at 11:20 am

Sugabelly is right, been born in Nigeria does not make you a citizen, you have to have at least one Nigerian parent or grandparent. Read Section 25 of the Constitution:
      25. (1) The following persons are citizens of Nigeria by birth-namely-
      (a) every person born in Nigeria before the date of independence, either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents belongs or belonged to a community indigenous to Nigeria;
      Provided that a person shall not become a citizen of Nigeria by virtue of this section if neither of his parents nor any of his grandparents was born in Nigeria.
      (b) every person born in Nigeria after the date of independence either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria; and
      (c) every person born outside Nigeria either of whose parents is a citizen of Nigeria

• adelegirl

March 13, 2013 at 11:56 am

Actually Sugabelly, a woman can become a Nigerian citizen by marriage. Pls read section 26 of the 1999 Constitution of Nigeria. That section deals with citizenship by registration. Citizenship is not only conferred by birth. Apart from citizenship by virtue of birth and registration, there is also citizenship by naturalization and ALL the characteristics you have listed as not conferring citizenship (such as ” by living here, or by marrying a Nigerian, or by owning fifty million Nigerian passports, or even by having Nigerian children”) are actually requirements which will stand an applicant in very good stead for Nigerian citizenship.

Apart from that, there is something called estoppel in law, by granting several previous Nigerian passports , the NIS have estopped themselves from denying the grant of future Nigeria passports. The very act of granting previous passports is proof enough of their “Nigerian-ness”.

Affected applicants should immediately seek legal address by way of the law courts. They also need to write and send petitions to the National Assembly and their representatives on this issue. I think the relevant committees would be the committees on Internal Affairs and Public Petitions. What’s more, tweet at relevant (noise-making, pls pardon my description) twitter activists. One cannot and must not keep silent.

Those officers, who in my opinion are obviously doing these in order to extort money, must be brought to book! Get their names and relevant details and send to sahara reporters, premium times, kayode ogundamisi (canary), omojuwa et al. Enough is enough of these sorts of impunity from public officers!

• the Nigerian

March 13, 2013 at 3:38 pm

@ ADELEgirl, sugabelly is not saying that you cannot become a Nigerian citizen by marriage, she is saying that you cannot become a Nigerian citizen by just moving into Nigeria and living here.

• xoxo

March 13, 2013 at 10:59 pm

@ the Nigerian. Yes, @sugabelly said so. She said “Not by living here, or by marrying a Nigerian, or by owning fifty million Nigerian passports, or even by having Nigerian children”

Quite easy to read

4. Slim

March 13, 2013 at 7:56 am

Just imagine& I kno a Kenya citizen who has a Nigerian passport just cos she is dark skinned

5. Adeyinka

March 13, 2013 at 8:09 am

sheer madness from powerdrunk ignoramus

6. pynk

March 13, 2013 at 8:11 am

I have never had problems renewing my passport and i am very very mixed. The woman should have just dealt with the officials by having the problem documented. If they wanted to frustrate her to death, she should have done the same to her. The use of mulatto self by the person that wrote the article is misleading. if she feels she was wrongfully denied, she should name and shame the officials. The most that they ask you for is proof and once you can present that, you are good to go. I know my brother who married a South American was able to get a passport quite easily for his son.
    Also Niger wives have been terrorised for long in Naija, those ones are fighting their own battles.

• pynk

March 13, 2013 at 8:12 am

*done the same to them.

• Again

March 13, 2013 at 8:34 am

Are we talking about the same nigeria? Do u really think they wld have put that wretched requst on paper for her?

7. simi

March 13, 2013 at 8:17 am

Only in Nigeria!!!!!! Aba!! We already have so much problems now we have added racism to it! Really sad!!! This is beyond ridiculous!!!

8. Ms lala

March 13, 2013 at 8:30 am

thats soo unfair…they should give her …her passport jo. judging skintone in this day of age is outrageous.

9. Again

March 13, 2013 at 8:37 am

I would have preferred a question mark next to the title of this article though. Not to be harsh, but it just seems wrong to paint the organization as racist when we’re not sure whether this is an organizational policy or just a few bad eggs. Racism is a bad allegation

10. Adams

March 13, 2013 at 8:38 am

Some years back i went to a nigerian embassy in rome to renew my passport …the guard at the gate was asking me for proof of my “nigerianness” i was shocked.luckily for me i had my old passport on me.*full nigerian.

11. Miami

March 13, 2013 at 8:43 am

Shame! When I can give my travel agent money to do my passport for me. Even to renew it, if I want. He will get his contact in immigration to sort it out for me. So who are they deceiving? How about people who use fake identities to get original passport? They don’t investigate those ones, abi? Such deceit!

12. REGINA!! -OFOR NA OGU-!!!

March 13, 2013 at 9:48 am

okay bella naija, i read this and i say it is the stupidity of the people at that location. Jan 16th my sister who happens to be very fair ( she looks mixed, but she isnt) went to the same stupid place to renew her passport and some fat bleached out woman started telling my sis that she doesnt look nigerian, that she is too yellow and her nose too pointy, that she looks black american. My sister laughed thinking the lady was joking, but the lady took her laughter for an affront and started abusing my sister in her own language. My sister then points to me and says “she is my sister, we have dual citizenship, am as american as i am nigerian and i relocated 5 years ago.” My sister explained we are from the east, but the lady looked at me then my sis and asked her, why am darker and she so fair. We thought this woman was joking, people were beginning to laugh at us, and one guy we met outside later told us that we need to learn to oil their palms if we ever want things to go our ways, especially for yellow people. My sister and i refused,went home and told my uncle who sadly i must say is a politician and he called in a favor and my sister was able to go back and renew her passport. So basically i saw it more as corruption. Nigeria is so tribalistic and i think sadly corruption is beginning to fuel a form of racism. NIGERIA WHICH WAY FORWARD….?????

13. Stella Kashmoney

March 13, 2013 at 10:04 am

Naija sha. Different stories everyday. Na wa o.

14. mona

March 13, 2013 at 10:05 am

oh phuleeezz, quit complaining!!! all u oyinbo wenches shld go back to ur countries and stop stealing our eligible black men from us….lol

• Tiki

March 13, 2013 at 10:16 am

I hope you don’t think the ‘lol’ at the end transforms your comment from stupid to funny.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 13, 2013 at 11:26 am

Said “eligible black men” still wouldn’t want your thirsty self, even if that happened, so who deceiveth whom?

• The bitter pill

March 15, 2013 at 12:10 am

I bet this Mona is the immigration officer giving her official statement. I suspected she might be a frustrated spinster….

• Mama Put

March 15, 2013 at 5:13 am

You are disgusting! Extremely!

• Bee

March 16, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Seriously ????

15. Ola

March 13, 2013 at 10:06 am

Things are really getting out of hands with our illiterate Oga’s. what documentation have they ever put in place to keep track of citizens ? Is it skin color that will determine ones citizenship? When we Nigerians can’t treat ourselves with respect in our country, how do we expect others to treat us. I think those Oga’s names and pictures should be posted on social media and disgraced. Is it not one of them that was on channels and didn’t know his organizations web address. Foolish people…..

16. cala

March 13, 2013 at 10:12 am

Well its has also happened to me in Uganda,yet am 100 + 1% Ugandan!the guy refused until we payed a good amount of money…

17. susie

March 13, 2013 at 10:14 am

loool! try getting a british passport or any European passport for that matter! Now they won’t even allow Nigerians to get married to one of their own to obtain an European passport

18. chikalaka

March 13, 2013 at 10:15 am

Hey Bella! Just a pointer/request….it is possible for you to get a ‘like’ button on the comments posted? For example if I like Regina’s comment but don’t want to comment, I can just “like” it. The most popular one could be on the top, like how it’s done on Youtube. You can add a dislike button if you want but I think the ‘like’ one will be great 🙂

19. Creamy_Amie

March 13, 2013 at 10:20 am

I agree with you on this. I experienced the same thing too when I went to get my passport at the Immigration office. Some of the officials joke about while some just want to get on ur nerve. Once you are so fair, whether bi-racial or not, they see you as one.

20. Creamy_Amie

March 13, 2013 at 10:46 am

I also experienced the same thing when I went to get my passport at the immigration office. Some officials actually say so to make you laugh, while some just want to annoy you.
    Once you are too fair whether bi-racial or not, they see you as one.

21. alexander mcqueen

March 13, 2013 at 10:47 am

Please,can’t we do something about the excesses of these immigration officials.They charge you more than 100 percent of the actual cost of an international passport when you apply for one.

22. sunshine

March 13, 2013 at 10:53 am

I had an unpleasant experience at the Immigration office at Festac when I went to renew my passport and I am a full Nigerian and very dark skinned (cant be mistaken for oyibo at all). At some point, I was wondering if the officers had routine jobs or everyday was a “hustle for your customers” day . I was asked repeatedly who I came to see not what I came to do which means not knowing someone would keep your file static.God help us all.

23. Chisom Samantha

March 13, 2013 at 11:02 am

Please read section 25 of the 1999 Constitution. If you need legal assistance please do not hesitate to contact me on [email protected]. this immigration people in 9ja are mad! when its time to catch the rebels who obtain 9ja passport now they wouldn’t.

24. ClaireN

March 13, 2013 at 11:23 am

Wonders shall never end. How about the customs people at MMIA who insisted. Pay duties on my personal belongings because “they are worth more than 50 thousand naira”. Yes, that’s what the officials said to me. I went on to ask her how i would buy a ticket worth almost 200k and shop only 50k, she said it was the law and asked me to pay 10k per suitcase. Note this was not my 1st, 2nd or 3rd time of travelling so i was shocked. She brought out one dirty book from the 60s and said the law was wriiten in it. Does she know how much 50k was in the 60s? They delayed me for 3 hours, i ended up giving her 4k which she asked me to “hide it in this paper, don’t let anyone see it”. The whole system needs a total overhaul. I’m going to carry this case till it gets to the right people. We need to make them stop this nonsense. People should keep speaking out against these agencies.

• anonymous

March 13, 2013 at 1:31 pm

i had this same experience. I was so livid. After a long flight,the custom lady delayed me for 2 hours,despite being one of the the few passengers that claimed their luggage on time.
      it just did not make any sense to say 50,000 naira worth of goods is all one is entitled to after paying hundreds of thousands as airfare. all she wanted was bribe which i was not ready to play ball. i was there till everyone had claim their baggage and left MM. She eventually asked for chocolate and any cash i had left on me. due to tiredness and disappointment i just gave her the chocolate and N2,000. it was a very sad experience. we really have to fight against this menace.

25. nene

March 13, 2013 at 6:56 pm

it’s not racism or tribalism or watever u call it. i call it “the nigerian way”. nigerian officials are clueless. i laugh at them and pity them. whether you’re dark skinned or mixed, they always act a certain way to ppl who look different from the average relatable nigerian (rich, speaking phonetics, looking exotic), so i advice ppl wen in nigeria, act like the nigerians. i don’t mean bribe them, but just make the officials feel special and happy cuz they have a crappy job in a crappy country. i always try to crack jokes with policemen, airport officials, etc and they smile and let me go. of course i have met the wicked ones who are very difficult and downright evil, but in all, nigerian ppl like to feel important. no go there dey do posh or phonetics, they will just fashee you and embarass you. shikena!

26. damilola

March 14, 2013 at 12:02 pm

This is crazy! ! Lool ‘eligible black men’ indeed

27. moriam

March 16, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Another ignorant ‘my oga at the top’ officer. What does passport have to do with her race. Illiterates everywhere!!! Boooo to bad government!

28. humanrights

March 16, 2013 at 7:52 pm

God bless you, @Chisom Samantha. There’s no doubt that this lady’s fundamental human rights have been violated and she deserves a redress and an unreserved apology. What to do? She should take her case to the National Assembly or/and sue the Nigerian Immigraation Services for the humiliation and embarrassment.

29. John effah

March 21, 2013 at 11:31 am

This might not relate to the post in question but it is worth posting anyway. I applied for a fresh passport and paid the recommended fees online. I was asked to report to the passport office at uyo-akwa ibom state on march 18,2013 for the interview. On arrival i met with one official who after presenting all the items i was asked to bring for the interview requested for Eight thousand naira which he called “administrative fees”, this enraged me and i refused paying and he in turn returned my documents and asked me to meet someone else. I was so certain this is illegal because such amount wasn’t mentioned in the website of NIS. Unfortunately, the numbers provided in the NIS website are non-existent numbers and this is rather embarassing. I log on to The Independent corrupt practices and other related offences commision website to get a contact which would enable me lodge a complaint but was also shocked that the land lines and mobile contacts too are non-existent numbers also. This shows how inept agencies saddled with various responsibilities in this country are. Frustrated, i went back to their office and met a more superior officer( a lady this time) and requested to know if i,am supposed to pay extra fees when coming for the interview, she didn’t give a definite response but requested i hand over the neccessary documents to her which i did without delay thinking i,am saved only for her to tell me that she has “met her oga and he say’s since i have taken the pains to go to the bank to pay the prescribed charges, the sum of One thousand naira has been waved,therefore i should pay 7,000 “. Since i wasn’t with such amount she collected my document and kept pending when i’ll come with the 7k for my passport to be processed. Bella naija please help me find out if this payment is legal.

30. Jessica

March 30, 2013 at 10:15 am

Immigration, Custom, Police, PHCN and many other government offices are the major cause of our problem. Its either their bosses are opportune illiterates (Like the “my oga at the top” man) or wicked or the officers just want to show authority. Which confirms that Nigerians do not know how to manage power. If we were treated half as wicked as this abroad will be crying and cursing. I will be nice if active online users disgrace these immigration offices the way Mr. Sham (my oga at the top) was disgraced online.

• Jessica

March 30, 2013 at 10:16 am

If nothing is done, all light skinned people are in trouble.

31. Nigerian

April 2, 2013 at 3:04 pm

What is special about Nigeria passport, travel out of the country with a Nigeria passport and you will realise how useless the passport is.

32. Elizabeth Oritsejolomi

April 12, 2013 at 5:18 am

This happened to me, similar experiences as above. At the NHC in London. Will happily sign your petition. Was even asked to bring primary school certification and speak Yoruba. Fortunately I still have my primary certification. And grew up in Ibadan even though my family is from Warri. Was not aware Yoruba is now our official language ??.? Or that primary school education is part of nationality proving criteria….have friends who have gone through similar experiences. Fortunately was able to appeal to an NHC minister who intervened/liaised with Abuja on my behalf and I and my sons did get our renewals. But not before I repeatedly returned, begged and cried for my passport to be given back to me, the passport I have had and had renewed for decades. However I did receive an apology. But exhausting, depressing, humiliating, demoralising experience at the hands of over imperious Abuja officials who were putting up a brick wall even to the NHC London at first…..their single objection being I did not look dark enough in my photograph

33. Mercy

May 15, 2013 at 1:37 pm

This is a very shocking discovery for me. We are supposed to be getting better as a nation not worse!!!!!
    This is rubbish. Issues like these gives us a crappy reputation internationally. I am soo ashamed for us.
    Part of the problem in my opinion is employing people not suited or educated enough for the positions they occupy.

34. wonders

June 21, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I feel for the lady due to her history in the country after 60 years, is doesn’t make sense but at the sametime I don’t care about mixed race people of nigerian blood in general who face these problems because in America where I am from they get special treatment over full blacks. So it is fair that it is the reverse in some ways in Nigeria that is a full black nation

• Orisha

October 13, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I hate this too , i don’t understand why they cant leave the nigerians with there full blackness , we are the wealthiest nation in africa and proud of our heritage , i am a yoruba man , but i do believe some yourba men mix for the greed of visa

35. Harry

September 13, 2013 at 9:07 pm

While some of the comments above state that being born in Nigeria does not make one a Nigerian, I need Nigerians to understand that those of us born in Nigeria to immigrant or settler parents have a different view. I am born and bred in Nigeria (to Indian parents) and have never felt Indian as such. I feel more at home in Nigeria and for all intents and purposes relate more to Nigeria. My Nigerian friends even consider me as one of them.
    In the 1996 Olympics in the USA, Nigeria had won the gold medal in football and my joy knew no bounds. But I was humiliated by so many people asking me if I was from Brazil or Argentina and how I felt about Nigeria winning the cup! I mean what do I have to do with Brazil or Argentina and why should I not feel great about Nigeria winning the cup? Even if India had lost to Nigeria, I would still celebrate. Whether I am white, brown or yellow, I am born in the blessed land of Nigeria and Nigeria has a special corner in my heart. Period.

36. dee

September 19, 2013 at 10:26 pm

This girl is obviously exagerating. If nigerians were raly racist you would see a racist comment in some of the comments like you do in forigen websites. She is obviously doing this for money ignore her. Racism is non existant in nigeria, hiwever there is tribalism. All of youbshouldn’t be so quick to belive her.

• Press Villa

November 22, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Are you serious?? so u mean such tins happen in Nigeria????????

37. Press Villa

November 22, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Are you serious?? so u mean such tins happen in Nigeria????????

38. MONI

December 28, 2013 at 12:14 pm

GUYS GUYS GUYS MAKE UNA CALM DOWN WITH SOME HARSH COMMENT WEY UNA DEY MAKE HERE ABOUT 9JA. ONE THING UNA NO UNDERSTAND BE SAY MANY PEOPLE FROM OUTSIDE COUNTRY TO COME APPLY AND TAKE 9JA PASSPORT ( I MEAN YEARS BACK) AND USE IT WRONGLY AND WHEN HE OR SHE IS CUT IN CRIME , IT WILL SHOW THAT HE OR SHE IS USING 9JA PASSPORT. THAT’S WHY 9JA NAME JUST SPOIL EVERY WHERE IN THE WORLD. IF GOVT BRING OUT THIS LAW TO VERIFY BEFORE GIVING PASSPORT TO ANYONE WHO DOES NOT LOOK LIKE 9JA AM HAPPY FOR DAT ABEG

39. NNANNA

December 28, 2013 at 12:23 pm

pls guys Kpali office guys didn’t do wrong abeg. i have an indian/9ja friend who is about 31 yrs. his father is 9ja and his mother is indian and this dude base in india. so he went to renew his Kpali but they didn’t renew it. they said that his father and mother must show to their office even after he proivde every document needed for Kpali both his parents married certificate, birth certificate etc, they only want his parent to come to their office which is not possible cos his parent is in 9ja.then my dude reapply for Kpali at 9ja embassy for delhi and their issue him kapli.

40. Soraya

March 30, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Can’t say I’m surprised- many of these immigration officers got their jobs through man know man- so you can’t really expect them to behave like civilized human beings!

41. UC

July 5, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Our NIS are not even working the way they should work, i wish some of you have travel to even Africa like Ghana South Africa, once they know that you a Nigerian you will see the way they will treat you like say na you kill their mama, had it been our immigration services is working at least this Boko Haram of a thing shouldn’t have been happening now because had it been they are working to depot those Niger people that called themselves Boko Haram and said that they are from Nigeria where will be see bomb blast

42. Citizen of everywhere

May 27, 2015 at 8:29 am

Reading this post, i saw how many people are ignorant in this country, @ Moni, please get your facts right, this country is not interesting for outsiders to come and get passports to commit crime, IT IS NIGERIANS that committed the crimes, not some strange people who are not Nigerians. Our greed and lack of integrity has made Nigeria what it is, cascading down from gate-men who collect bribes to allow people to see staffs or bosses in offices, to the highest positions in government, who collect bribes to pass budgets of ministries or other organizations. It is not the case of having 1 rotten tooth in the mouth that stinks, it’s all teeth that have some extent of decay. There is nothing like looking like Nigerian or not, NIGERIA has no particular face, as will u say a typical Igbo man face is the face of a true Nigerian, or a Yoruba man, or a Hausa man, or a Fulani man, or a Shua-Arab man, or an Egbira man. THERE IS NOTHING LIKE ‘LOOK NIGERIAN’. Does American man has a particular face, or a Canadian or a Brit, or even a European. Even Asians have started mixing. We have to realize we live in a Global-Multi-faced World and sooner we start imbibing it into our kids the better we prepare them to function right.