Events

“Celebrating and Honouring our Own in their Lifetime” – Photos & Scoop from the ‘Ola Ndi Igbo’ Event

Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija250It was all fun, laughter and remembering tradition last Saturday at the Civic Centre as Igbo professionals under the umbrella body – Ola Ndi Igbo celebrated their own. The event was a time of sober reflection and opportunity to re-strategize on ways to make a change to the underdevelopment in the Igbo land such as lack of jobs, high rate of male school drop outs, insecurity and falling rate of native tongue speaking children especially among the elite of the Igbo society.

The event was laden with professionals from different fields from media, arts and entertainment to human rights, education and public service. It was divided into two sections for the day; the morning/afternoon section was a think tank and high level strategy session while the evening was the celebration with dance and performances, native attires, native foods and drinks.

Awards were given to Igbo natives who had made significant contributions like Onyeka Onwenu (Entertainment), Pat Utomi, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala (Public Health) and many others. They did not forget to honour the giants who paved way for the Igbo community; Chief Michael Okpala, Flora Nwapa, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Ben Enwonwu, Justice Loiuse Mbanefo, Mbonu Ojike and many more.

View the photos from the inspiring event

Red Carpet Fab

Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija046Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija015 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija014 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija021Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija019 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija024 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija025Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija033 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija034 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija026 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija027 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija045Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija061 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija039 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija048 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija049 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija051Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija227 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija053 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija055Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija008 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija037 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija038 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija047 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija044 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija059 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija122 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija057 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija058 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija064 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija068 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija226 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija225 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija229Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija023Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija028 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija040

The Event

Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija002 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija009Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija072 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija179 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija180 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija013 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija011 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija018Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija075 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija081 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija082 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija092 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija156 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija186 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija230Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija071 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija088Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija104 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija103 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija115 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija116 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija123Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija215 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija219Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija248 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija105 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija132 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija147 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija151 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija159 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija162 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija165 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija167 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija170 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija136 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija193 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija199 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija206 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija209 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija238 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija243 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija233 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija251 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija069 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija099 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija119 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija135 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija171 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija176 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija183 Ola Ndigbo - April 2013 - BellaNaija256
Photo Credit: Insigna Media

1. x

April 26, 2013 at 8:35 am

that is y i luuuuuuuvv being a Nigerian, so many cultures!! i love dz ladies outfit http://www.bellanaija.com/2013/04/26/celebrating-and-honouring-our-own-in-their-lifetime-photos-scoop-from-the-ola-ndi-igbo-event/ola-ndigbo-april-2013-bellanaija045/,
    planning on getting my own sooon…. also i can spot some Giorgio patini shoes!!! lovin d event..

• Miliani

April 27, 2013 at 3:54 am

Same here! Did anyone else notice how the lady in blue was eyeing the garden egg, kolanut, etc? Lmaooo she dey salivate pass bingo hehehe. Anyways, Igbos are the BEST in every way, shape or form and they are also God’s chosen people. Always shining… never dulling! IGBO KWENU! NIGERIA KWENU! WHOEVER WANTS TO JOIN US KWEZUO NU!!!

• esther

April 27, 2013 at 10:07 pm

kwezunu ooohhhhh!!! i love my country cant wait to be back

• Nigeriangurl

April 28, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Lol. They really are

• bidibang

May 6, 2013 at 8:44 am

IGBO KWENU O!!!! UMU IGBO anyi gana aga n’iru maka ina azu abughi maka ndi Chukwu goziri ago zi o!!!

2. anonymous

April 26, 2013 at 8:37 am

how do i become a member of this organisation?

3. Amina

April 26, 2013 at 8:52 am

It is uplifting to see remarkable Nigerians honoured while still alive and can appreciate it not when dead. We all should emulate this. Congrats to the various recipients.

4. nene

April 26, 2013 at 8:53 am

chai! see my people. igbo kwenu. ndi mmamara mma. beautiful people. i was begining to get upset when i didn’t see the Anumuudu’s, and then GBAM, i saw them. i hope they can improve the East, because a lot of igbos like to wander away from their states, a lot are even in the North, meanwhile they are not developing their own states. charity begins at home. but then i think it’s the civil war that disrupted igbo land and igbo people. i hope things change and igbos become more involved, a lot of igbos can’t or won’t speak igbo, but u see yoruba and hausa people speaking their languages, and igbos need to learn to treat each other better like the hausas and niger deltans.

5. Ama

April 26, 2013 at 9:17 am

Awwwww! beautiful nd colourful people

6. Thatgidigirl

April 26, 2013 at 9:21 am

But for how long can we blame the civil war? As for the issue of speaking the language, its quite annoying! Yorubas and hausas love their language, they can speak for an hour without using “but, if, etc” and i looove them for that. Illiteracy/semi illiteracy is above average in ibo land as they are predominantly traders, yet they won’t leave the english that they can’t speak alone. Mixing english and ibo (engligbo)- e we ike trya, o work ro, but u, etc! Most Igbo parents are guilty of neglecting the language…….my dad inclusive, if my mum didn’t intervene we wld hv turned out like those kids that smile all the time like deaf mutes when they go back home.

• kd

April 27, 2013 at 11:41 am

Good for u. I dont know my language cause I was never taught so im hoping to marry a guy from my side (edo state) so that my children can understand.. I love d event..u igbos have a very rich culture

• zsa zsa

April 27, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I’m edo too :), was never taught the language either. Once upon a time i thought i would marry a guy form my tribe so that i could learn the culture and possibly have my kid speak the language but oh…that crazy little thing called love. I ended up with an igbo man. My husband speaks igbo to our daughter which is fine with me, when i can i will make sure my child also spends some time with my extended family so she can learn the language(or some words) and the culture.

7. Uche

April 26, 2013 at 9:28 am

I was at the event!….. and refused to take photo now am pissed at me!!! beautiful, lovely idea…… Hope we make it and annual event!. Proudly Ibo.

8. Onyi

April 26, 2013 at 9:38 am

I love being Ibo….We dey represent everywhere.

9. queen linda

April 26, 2013 at 10:00 am

Where is Linda Ikeji?? Is she not an Igbo woman????

• aribelle

April 26, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Why are you hear shouting, go and ask Linda why she didnt attend na.

• Oaken

April 27, 2013 at 4:01 am

Get lost jare….does this look like a blog?

10. comment waiting moderation!

April 26, 2013 at 10:01 am

Why bother us with some old folks..BN pls we await chris brown concert,give us the pix,I saw Genny stunning at the event!

• slice

April 26, 2013 at 1:41 pm

U’ll be old one day and maybe then ur kids won’t bother with u

• Aremu

April 27, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Awesome retort! Mcheewwwwww for days.

11. Ezinne V

April 26, 2013 at 10:10 am

I’m a victim.
    Or may I say I allowed myself be a victim
    My parents didn’t teach me how to speak. I started hearing better when I had to stay with a guardian while schooling in sokoto. It hurts everyday.
    I studied Linguistics and I took the issue up as my final project ‘how the language is endangered because its nt passed on’
    It still hurts everyday.I’m nt comfrtable anywhere because I want to speak with my ppl and I can’t,I want to gist with them and express myself..but. Can’t
    I think we all shld try helping out a friend or family in such situation if we see the persn’s cndition(like my guardian did with me).
    Rather than siting back and condemning them for not knowing how to speak.
    That’s the difference btwn Igbos andhausa/yoruba
    The latter tries to help/encourage one another,they teach each other and even foreigners, they urge to learn their language….but igbos are soo proud they sit and condemn you,even push u away because u unfortunately can’t speak…then imagine if it is a foreigner, they dnt even bother to encourage.

It was all part of my research and findings…I’m not blaming society for my inability I’m jus saying if we are soo proud of our langauge and heritage why dnt we make ‘visible’ efforts to sustain it……an award night does not in anyway way encourage the teaching of the igbo language in schools….or encourage igbo art exhibitions ,wrkshops of history for the young ones to learn.
    I want my kids to speak Igbo fluently because I dnt want them to go thru the hell I’m going thru with my own ppl who make me look like I don’t belong. But hw do I go about it
    The typical igbo person would respond to me as ‘what is my business,whose fault is it that ur parents dint teach u ur language’

I’m proud to be Igbo…if I could take back time to learn it ,I pray everyday that I could do so.

• Asa

April 26, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I feel you. I had this discussion with my friends yesterday. Jisie ike. Keep striving to learn you will. It is a problem we all have to tackle. All the best. Trying to speak to my daughter now. She must seak o

• Tinu

April 27, 2013 at 2:10 pm

dang…pele..Igbos carry this language thing on their head too much jare. very much a segregated tribe. Its sad to see that fellow igbos get ostracised also

• zsa zsa

April 27, 2013 at 11:00 pm

@Ezinne, you sound very upset. I understand how you feel but you cannot continue to claim the victim. You need to make up your mind not to be the victim and not feel bad whenever your folks or fellow “tribesmen” make condescending remarks about your inability to speak the language. You have to let it go, its not your fault…things happen. What is important is that you are interested in culture and also want your kids to learn the language. You are lucky you are from a majority tribe so you can find resources or people that can help. If you live abroad, you have all these igbo associations all over the place. I am from northern edo, i was never taught the language infact the few words i remember are those my dad taught me before he died when i was barely 6(my story is long so wont go into it). I wish i could teach my child the language but i’m not sad about it. My extended family members try to tease me about not speaking/understanding the language but i don’t even give them the chance to do that. They know whats up o! i will just insult somborry :).

An award night is a good start, it will encourage indigenes to reach for greater heights and maybe help push the idea of bringing back languages to schools.

• JACKIE

January 23, 2014 at 6:11 am

ON YOUR STATEMENT THAT IGBOS ARE SO PROUD THEY PUSH YOU
      AWAY FOR NOT KNOWING HOW TO SPEAK – you should be asking your
      parents why they DID NOT do their job in teaching you the
      language*** I was born bred and buttered in England, yet I speak my
      Igbo excellently: your parents have no excuse**********

12. Jane

April 26, 2013 at 10:26 am

Cha! Cha! Cha! Ndi Igbo kwenu! Ndi Igbo kwezuo nu uuuuuu!

13. toyin

April 26, 2013 at 10:27 am

ndigbo kwenu kwenu kwezenu……….

14. hmm

April 26, 2013 at 10:40 am

Hey please can someone tell me what Nkiru Anumudu does?..I like her but have no idea what she does or who she is?…thanks

15. nnenne

April 26, 2013 at 10:41 am

I’m so proud to be Igbo anytime anyday and anywhere!!! and i’m super proud i can speak the igbo language. my mom said she wanted to raise us with english but my economist cum barrister cum MBA holder father vehemently disagreed. she said he warned her never to speak english to us while we are at home but that we will go to the best nursery and primary schools as of then in enugu so we can speak all the english in school.
    Am i thankful for it today? YES i am cos i speak the english language very well and i write too. Most time people don’t even believe i was born and raised in the east cos my accent is nth close to igbotic. One incident in secondary school is still very fresh in my memory. There was this Lagos based girl that couldn’t speak Igbo and whenever our Igbo teacher enters class, she will leave cos she was too stubborn to learn igbo. Then on this fateful day she was writing sth and kept on asking spellings of some words which i gladly spelled for her. i was so surprised to find out that even the english she was forming she could speak, she couldn’t spell them. lol

I have resolved that my kids MUST know how to speak and understand Igbo no matter where i live in this world when i get married as long as my hubby will be Igbo too (praying seriously to marry one that’s from Anambra). Igbo Kwenu!!!

• Nwakaeku

April 26, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Nnenne,soooo proud of you,l am happy there are still people like you,married and does not live in Nigeria,my children all speak Igbo very well,as my hubby and l speak Igbo to them,it really works for me,as l can talk to them and correct them without people around understanding us and btw they speak English very well too.Our Igbo people sabi do,have really argued over this issue with my friends and other people,but that’s what l want,onye o buna zuooo nwa nke ya otu o chooo,( train your child in whatever way you want to) agbacha oso a guo mile.Proudly Igbo and Nigerian anytime any day.

• John

April 27, 2013 at 12:31 am

Nnene, loved your comments. You seem like you would be a lot of fun to know. Would love to speak with you. I’m Ibo too from Enugu. I actually grew up there. Enugu people dey okay now, abi? I live in the U.S now. Can you e-mail me at johnct650 at yahoo dot com. I hope the folks at BellaNaija don’t mind publishing my comment. Would appreciate it.

• Zella

April 27, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I am sorry, when did it become a plus for u to be able to speak ur language??? It goes back to the same thing we are all saying…it’s supposed to be natural! Unfortunately some of us were were raised by parents who were afraid to allow their kids share their accents…and what’s wrong in an accent anyway? Everyone has one and whoever has an Igbo accent should be as proud as a French guy speaking english with a French accent.

16. nnenne

April 26, 2013 at 10:43 am

*times* *asking for* typos mehn.lool

• Tinu

April 27, 2013 at 2:16 pm

this babe…shine eye well well and contact this John guy o! lol

17. mamamia

April 26, 2013 at 10:46 am

Chaiii…………see my hawt people. Btw are there no young ibo pple? They all seemed to be missing from the event esp our entertainers.. Ill Bliss, 2 Shotz, My hubby(PHYNO),Nigga Raw, Storm Rex, esonance and Nollly wood too….Please how can we be a part of this event next year?

18. hmm

April 26, 2013 at 10:58 am

well from observation i also think there is an issue with speaking ….compared to other tribes most igbos cant speak their language….and if they even happen to speak…you get people making comments such as ‘ your so igbotic’ and so on (which i dont understand) i guess everyone should be proud of their heritage…

19. ozzy

April 26, 2013 at 11:08 am

ibo kwenu i wonder y some pple wore english attire to this event if it were the yorubas theyd hv worn their native attire,ibo pple cn fall hand

• Osogagba

April 27, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Thank you. I was wondering the same thing. But on second thoughts, maybe it is a reflection of the same thing we have all been saying: a people who aren’t VERY proud of their language wouldn’t possibly be proud of their cultural costumes either.

20. nino

April 26, 2013 at 11:11 am

Igbo Kwenu…He who brings Kolanut brings life…YES

21. jojo

April 26, 2013 at 11:23 am

ndi igbo nmanmanuuuu

22. Mee

April 26, 2013 at 12:02 pm

No names? U can do better BN.

23. Lecker

April 26, 2013 at 12:06 pm

where is Genevieve?

24. Ani

April 26, 2013 at 12:16 pm

There’s indeed beauty in our diversity. What an elder sees sitting down, you can’t see even if you climb the tallest tree. Looll..

25. Mz Socially Awkward...

April 26, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Lekwanu ndi nkem! Chei, unu amaka, Ibo kwenu!!

I was discussing the slow death of the Ibo language with a friend and we both agreed that our generation are definitely having issues with speaking our mother tongue as fluently as the other major tribes in Nigeria. I feel the same as Ezinne V above, so many times I want to speak in my language and I’m hampered by my inability to hold conversations without reverting to English. Don’t know if this happens to other people too but I often find myself thinking to myself in Ibo! Maybe it’s a side-effect of growing older… 🙂 I hold these discussions in my mind in Ibo but can’t articulate them properly out loud.

Everything about our culture is beautiful, even seeing the man at the end there playing the traditional instruments brings back fond memories of attending ceremonies and functions in the village. Already thinking about starting an Ibo group/community-in-diaspora where I live, hopefully a lot of people buy into the idea…

26. Evagreen

April 26, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Great looking folks. We got very rich and colourful heritage; don’t let anyone tell you different

27. ayomipo

April 26, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Where are the two chidinmmas(music&literture)?

28. Yoruba girl

April 26, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I think there’s some personal responsibility involved in learning your language. Till he died, my father replied all Yoruba spoken by his kids with English. I grew up in the north hearing Hausa all around me. It wasn’t until we moved to Lagos that Yoruba became a language I heard regularly but I still couldn’t speak until I went to uni abroad. It was so annoying not being able to converse fluently when gossiping. I made Yoruba movies my bestest friends and to the glory of God, I am fluent. I even throw in proverbs for effect lol. The point is, I realised I had a problem and I fixed it. If you don’t understand Igbo, watch subtitled movies. Take classes. My awesome university offered both Yoruba and Hausa courses which I took. I can read and write both as well.

• Purpleicious Babe

April 27, 2013 at 2:42 pm

But the issue of languages dying out is becoming an obvious issue in most tribes.

I think with our generation and exposure some of us have, we tend to speak less and less native language. Most of my friends from different tribes can barely hold a conversation in their native tongue. I for one cant speak without interjecting most of my sentences in English, I struggle to speak completely and utterly in yoruba. My Edo friend can barely say a single sentence in her language, how about my igbo friend, she only speaks when spoken to, I can even say more sentences in igbo sef. lol. I think that living abroad also reduces the chances of constantly conversing in your native tongue. Though that should not be an excuse.
      I do think Nigerian schools should make languages compulsory to learn.

I agree, if you want to learn, you owe it to yourself to.

Needless to say, we should keep our culture alive.

• LadyC

April 28, 2013 at 3:29 am

Unfortunately its not that easy. You can’t speak what you don’t hear. It starts from home. Parents are suppose to pass on their language to their children just as they would their cultural values, norms and ideology. These are the building blocks of any culture. IJS

29. Ndidi Okafor

April 26, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Back in 1998, my friends and I started a group in London called Igbo Cultural and Support Network (ICSN) – icsn.co.uk where everything Ibo (from lessons to dances to culture) are taught. Igbo Kwenu…

30. Karen D

April 26, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Why are some people wearing suits and other non-traditional outfits?

31. Spicy Igbo giel

April 26, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Ms socially awkward am totally with u on this, its actually quite pathetic i dont know wat language im gonna teach my kids considering that i only speak fluent igbo in my head lol to make matters worse my fiancee is also igbo. My parents failed sha, maybe im gonna join an igbo society in diaspora?

32. Spicey

April 26, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Heavenly LORD i thank thee for my parents who ensured that my siblings and i spent every holiday for secondary school with our grand parent who understand little English. That meant Igbo learning all the way.

33. Ceetoo

April 26, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Nice event… welldone Ndidi. Pity i could not make it.
    @ the Igbo language dying… it is not perculiar to just igbo alone but most languages in the south especially south east and south south and this is because this languages are relatively more difficult than a yoruba or hausa (yes i know cos i am Igbo and speak fluent yoruba and small hausa) therefore if you are not able to speak and get older and recongnize that you have a problem, you are able to learn yoruba and hausa faster than if you wanted to learn Igbo or Ibibio or Benin. Another silly thing and mistake our generation make is that they actually think it is cool not speak your language or speak it badly… that way you look or sound like an “aje butter”. A new colleague of minewas on the phone to her son when another colleague asked to say hello to him(the son), on greeting the boy she started speaking yoruba to him… and his mother quickly shouted abeg oh… “my childeren dont speak Yoruba please dont spoil his English it is not cool”. I was so shy at her ignorance and undue need to feel cool… i tried to educated her that her child has the capacity to learn 7 languages as a child without one affecting the other. Also people who can speak different languages actually tend to speak English without their native accent (you never know where they are from)… when I now started speaking “ ijile” Yoruba for her… she tripped saying that she did not know I could speak Igbo talk more of yoruba (cos I looked cool to her) I just spoke the small Hausa and French for good measure 🙂
    Teach your children languages it does them more good than harm

• Ngum

April 27, 2013 at 12:10 am

word! some of us really need to get a grip. we speak English today because the English thought their language was cool. why is it so hard for us to love ourselves?

34. prettypink

April 26, 2013 at 4:39 pm

i soo luv ibo people. very descent looking people with sound background. i bet if it was some other culture you will be seeing some old women hanging out their breast with tattoos, long lashes, permant make up ( broad black eyepencil) and gold teeth every where. please excuse me . i cant hold it.

• Tinu

April 27, 2013 at 2:25 pm

which culture would that be then?? your mouth is very sharp…I dear you to name the tribe you are referring to….rude somebody…..

• JACKIE

February 10, 2014 at 12:07 am

OMO ODUDUWA TRIBE of course…the Yorubas !!!

35. Gracie

April 26, 2013 at 4:51 pm

They are all look sophisticated though the ones who went the tradition way, nailed it for me since the event was tagged “Ola Ndi Igbo”. Can’t wait to join the Igbo community on marital grounds “smiling”

36. Gracie

April 26, 2013 at 4:51 pm

“They all look”

37. canadian Igbo

April 26, 2013 at 5:29 pm

AH honestly i miss my village years in niaja. The dude playing the flute reminds me of christmas time and my granddad’s burial!. ndi ibo kwenu!

38. Naija4life

April 26, 2013 at 6:00 pm

where is CHIMAMANDA ADICHIE????

39. ncy

April 26, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I rep Ndi Igbo….kwenu!!!!!

40. Lin

April 26, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Ndi Igbo Kwenu!!! See my people.
    I love my culture and heritage. I grew up in PH but my pops wanted us to speak only English. in fact when my pops wanted to change our last name to Dennis in secondary school I adamantly refused because I love our igbo last name and Dennis sounded so Americanize. Imagine me answering “Linda Dennis” Tufiakwa. Is like where I’m I from? But my last name gives me an identity that has rich culture. After some years I came to the States, I decided to change my first name “Linda” to my middle name “Nnenna” and cut off my relaxed hair and started going all natural. When I did this, it was a breath of fresh air. I speak so fluently in American accent but I still speak Owerri dialect so well (Thank God for my mum, grand mum and grandaunt that insisted that I go to secondary school in Owerri and also the Christmas holidays I spend at the village). I remember loving the village life and do all the things I wouldn’t do in the city 😀

41. veer520

April 26, 2013 at 7:24 pm

O this is so wonderful…other tribes should take a cue please. This is genius.,

42. Naveah

April 26, 2013 at 7:35 pm

85% of the women have their gele tied Yoruba style – celebrate your culture all the way if you are going to do it. And I am not Yoruba so before all the Igbo voltrons jump down my throat, I could care less, it is just an observation.

• Naija talk

April 27, 2013 at 3:16 am

You couldn’t be more wrong dear non-Yoruba observer. Look at the pictures more carefully, there are so many women with versatile ichafu isi e.g. the women in white blouses and red headties. Also the cut of the headtie these days does not allow for versatile headtie styles. To tie headtie the igbo way, one needs the headtie to be full length.

• Naija talk

April 27, 2013 at 3:17 am

And how in the world did you come up with 85%? Exaggerated much?

• Nigeriangurl

April 28, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Please do your checks well dear. Gele is a Yoruba thingi……dats why it is called Gele (Yoruba word for head tie)….,,, or have u got another word for it?

• Naija talk

April 29, 2013 at 11:02 am

@ Nigerian girl.
      Noticed I kept referring to head tie as Ichafu isi, a name that my grandmothers, and their mothers before them have been calling head tie. Yorubas call it gele and then. Just because you have a word/name for headtie in your language doesn’t make it indigenously yours.
      YOU DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH VERY WELL missy.

• Naveah

April 30, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Slow your damn roll there Miss Thang!!! I don’t think I was exaggerating, I said what I saw and if what I saw was wrong then I can admit to it but I don’t need your mouth, got it?

• Naija talk

April 30, 2013 at 4:22 pm

You my dear are very rude.

43. nneka egondu ibekwe

April 26, 2013 at 7:36 pm

so many familiar faces…

44. Tongryang Pantu

April 26, 2013 at 8:19 pm

So beautiful.

45. Sexxie

April 26, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Lenu umu afo igbo oma anyi o! Chei unu amaka! Udo diri unu nile. Chukwu gozie unu mmaji kwuru mmaji. Mana gini mere nwannem Oluchi jiri jikere otua? Okwe siri imara akwa abuo k’umunwayi ibeya no n’ogbako ahu. Ebuka o maka gini ? Obi adighi m mma maka akwa ndi ocha gini na umu nwoke ufodu no ebe ahu yi…owughi ihe eji mara ndigbo. Chukwu nye aka agam ano n’ogbako nke afor ozo n’abia abia. *wipes sweat off my face* 🙂

• Nawa4nkem

April 27, 2013 at 4:46 am

Nwannne iga di…………otua!

46. Lilo

April 26, 2013 at 8:51 pm

You obviously cannot differentiate between Igbo and Yoruba tied nchafu or scarves.

be surprised to know that Igbos pioneered the so called “gele” per their george

• Nigeriangurl

April 28, 2013 at 2:54 pm

LIE

47. Lilo

April 26, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Look up Igbo women vs Yoruba women dressed in the seventies and eighties and you will
    be surprised to know that Igbos pioneered the so called “gele” via their damask and george wears. Yorubas adopted this and polpularized the term and since then person no dey hear word. Leave the Igbos to do their thing.

• Nawa OOO

April 27, 2013 at 10:10 pm

LMAO! this is bogus. igbo people did what? gele? lmao! *whips tears* Hausa people beware oooo. before they also take the Traditional Hausa outfits.

48. Lilo

April 26, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Traditional yoruba wear was lace, and Iro and Buba.

The george/damask wear (i.e. “gele”) was adopted from the SS and SE. Everyone learns
    and experiments with fashion so kini big deal? Leave the nchafu scarves alone. I blame the Igbos who don’t do a better job of promoting their culture.

49. Uju

April 26, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I don’t know what you mean by “gele tied inyoruba style “. 1st igbo’s have always tied their ichafu in what ever pattern to reflect individual styles and expressions. Ichafu, and two wrappers with a blouse have always been our thing. Yorubas are known for their asoke blouses and asoke single wrappers with matching asoke geles. It is due to the blend in cultures that yorubas are seen wearing all sorts of wrappers and blouses with our ichafu these days. Before the 90s, you would hardly find a yoruba woman dresses like an Igbo woman in ichafu and two wrappers…… so get your facts right dear cos I don’t know where you got that ‘Yoruba style gele’ idea from.

50. Aduke

April 26, 2013 at 9:20 pm

See beautiful people o! This is niceeeee!! 😀 Very descent looking people n crowd with class, beautifully dressed with much sophistication!
    Chigurl looking all beautiful!! iLuv!

51. Amy

April 26, 2013 at 10:38 pm

call me paranoid but me I’ve said my children will get a language lesson teacher(tutor) or two (if I marry someone outside my tribe:I’m ibibio). This gathering is fantastic and lovely and I wish the igbos and other tribes will keep it up (language experts warn that the igbo language is going extinct though). kudos to the organizers

52. Omo

April 26, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Which one is Yoruba & Ibo way/style of tying gele again? Na wa o, I ‘ve always Thot is gele is gele no matter the style u chose to tie. So those hausa women or muslims that tie gele are not following their culture abi? For me personally gele is simply a fashion thing o tie it any style u want… O well we learn new things everyday I guess. I’m from Edo state, I really luv what all those ladies r wearing. They all look gorgeous, no need for nitpicking/ tribalism abeg! This is 2013!!!! Fashion forward.

53. Desperado

April 26, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Igbo kwenuuuuu! luv my ppl die! biko where is ikechukwu, nigga raw, genevieve plus all d other ndigbo celebs?

54. Andie

April 26, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Ebuka my love

55. Anon

April 26, 2013 at 11:49 pm

The truth is the Igbo language is quite difficult to speak and learn. If you didn’t speak it as a child it’s very difficult to be fluent in it later in life.
    Please don’t shoot me; of what use are these languages now in this global village that we live in?

• Balance

April 27, 2013 at 12:39 am

Pray tell why you speak “the English” if its a global village now…….harrumphing away with monkey talk on BN should have sufficed if languages are no longer useful…in this “your global village”…..Agbogho/Okoro elughelu walu ogodo……….

• Anon

April 27, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Away with your vile comment. It’s my first language and if it’s not yours, YAOYO!

• Sylvia

April 27, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I beg to differ, I didn’t speak Igbo as a child, I actually learnt Igbo properly when I was in uni so your notion of Igbo language is difficult to learn and speak if you didn’t speak as a child is very wrong.

56. Anon

April 26, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Professor Laz Ekwueme. Igwe, I salute you.

57. X

April 26, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Igbo kwenu! Kwezuonu!

58. jamar

April 27, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Very lovely….proud to be an igbo woman…..

59. Sylvia

April 27, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Very proud, very very proud to be Igbo anytime anyday, and proud to say I can speak my language as well. Rich culture, Woohoo!

60. Osogagba

April 27, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Ndidi Nwuneli rocks. Ada Igbo eji anya isi. Ya diri gi nma o!

61. Nawa OOO

April 27, 2013 at 10:05 pm

i did not know this was an Igbo event. why dont they ever wear their traditional outfits. they always mix it with YORUBA OR HAUSA inspired outfits. oh well. can someone tell me if EDO ppl are Igbo?

• zsa zsa

April 28, 2013 at 6:14 am

Errrr no. Edo people are not Igbo…reason being that they are EDO.

• Naija talk

April 29, 2013 at 11:07 am

Your comment shows how clueless you are about nigerian culture and what constitutes each tribe’s traditional outfit. Unfortunately, it appears you have received your schooling on culture from what you’ve been exposed to in recent times as opposed to what originally pertained/pertains to each culture.

62. omoibo

April 27, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Proudly ibo! In my next life, I want to return again as ibo person 😀

63. NNENNE

April 28, 2013 at 4:08 am

I hope it will remain a yearly event. Very lovely and motivating.
    Igbo ga-adi. Iseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

64. Nigeriangurl

April 28, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I totally agree…. Others tribes need to take a cue from this…….
    But then I wonder, what venue will contain the number of successful/globally recognized Yoruba people???.
    Can’t think of one…..too many successful people in the South west 🙂

• bidibang

May 6, 2013 at 8:48 am

as in yahoozzee tinz or wat? wole soyinka, fela? so not someone to emulate….at all a man that was a celebrated agent of darkness…please go and celebrate your tribe ok? we’ve heard

65. NNENNE

April 28, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Point of correction Nigeriangurl…. Igbos have always tied headscarf. They call it “Ichafu or akwa isi” pending on the area of Igbo land they come from. I heard the word “Ichafu” before I heard “Gele”. The Yorubas call it “Gele”. You can not deny that Lagos gave the Yorubas a very good advantage. Thus Gele took an upper hand.
    Just like the Yorubas, Igbos have so very many eminent people all over the world too. Trust me more outside Nigeria than in Nigeria, very good,deserving, well earned positions (Not quota system positions). And if you go through Nigerian history you will agree with me that the Igbos are very unique.Only few tribes could go through what they have been through and still be heard. God bless Nigeria!

66. molly

April 28, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Enough of this useless igbo and yoruba war. mscheww
    i am edo bu my mum is igbo and i can understand igbo atleast 75% and speak 50% but im clueless when it comes to Edo. i think igbo language is so easy to understnd, Afterall 4years back i was clueless when it came to understanding and speaking igbo. igbos are blessed. God bless Edo and igbo 🙂

67. Arinze

May 21, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Molly, thank you for pointing out the fact that Igbo is not difficult to learn. My parents raised me with English. I was born in port-harcourt, together with my two younger siblings. My father was transfered by his company to Owerri and we relocated to Owerri where I attended secondary school. All my classmates all spoke Igbo but I didn’t speak with them. Looking back now I realize that my main problem was the fact that I (even my parents) never liked the Owerri dialect of Igbo. I’m from Anambra. So I didn’t feel motivated to speak Igbo which would have been Owerri Igbo. But as we grew older, my mom switched to speaking Igbo to us while my dad spoke more of English, and only spoke Igbo when he was angry. Lol. Meanwhile as my mom spoke Igbo to us, we’d reply in English. Despite my low speaking rate then, I made a B2 in Igbo in WAEC still. My understanding and writing were superb but speaking remained minimal. But things changed when I got into the university. I schooled at UNN and was surrounded by many people who grew up in Enugu, Onitsha, Awka that spoke the Anambra Igbo. It was around my 4th/final years that I began to make efforts TO SPEAK, not write or understand because I already had those skills. And within a year, I became very fluent in Igbo (the onitsha dialect). Igbo isn’t difficult to speak at all. I’m currently serving in Owerri now and each time I speak Onitsha Igbo, people around me would turn around and admire it and tell me how lovely Anambra Igbo sounds. This is because I speak it fluently and they don’t even know that I mastered it just over a year ago. Then each time I call my uncles/aunts whom i’ve always spoken English to all my life, and I spoke Igbo to them they’d marvel!

I do also think that watching Igbo language movie boosts one’s Igbo speaking skills. Yes, they do because you’d also get to learn a lot of Igbo words from those movies that are acted in pure unadulterated Igbo, words of which many of us don’t use in real life situations but rather their English forms. Take for example, up until last month I never that knew the Igbo word for ‘unless’ was ‘beluso’ until I watched an Igbo language movie recently. This Igbo form is rarely spoken in real-life situations but ‘unless’ is popularly used instead.

The phenomenon of non-igbo speaking kids exists mostly among the Igbo elite. The language is still very much alive. There used to be a time when I bothered myself over the extinction of the Igbo language but that was because many of my friends at that time came from rich homes where English speaking is more common. I’ve taken a tour round south east and studied the strength of Igbo language and come to the realization that the language isn’t dying any time soon. Not even in the next 150 years. The phenomenon of non-igbo-speaking kids is common among the elite and children born outside Igboland.

And for those non-igbo-speaking teenagers/adults struggling with Igbo, my strong suggestion is to CONTINUE SPEAKING! Practice makes perfect. I’m an example. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Good enough, I noticed that Igbo people don’t laugh at you when they notice you’re still a learner. They just don’t care. They got other important things such as their businesses and jobs to attend to. Moreover you didn’t just become perfect at speaking English in one day. It took you several years, from childhood to teen hood to master it. Learning to speak Igbo won’t take you that long as a matter of fact. We all made terrible mistakes while speaking the so-called English as children. Lol. Funny, but true. The self-realization of your inability to speak your native tongue hits you right in the face as you grow older into adulthood when IT IS EXPECTED OF YOU TO SPEAK IGBO. That’s when the responsibility of speaking Igbo dawns on you. And you do have to bear that responsibility.

@WEB OWNER: CORRECTIONS MADE PLEASE. POST THIS SECOND ONE AND LEAVE OUT THE FIRST ONE.