Music

“He’s an Amazing Guy” – Peter Okoye of P-Square’s Sweetheart Lola Omotayo opens up on being an Independent Woman plus their Love & Life Together

Lola Omotayo Peter OkoyeA few days ago, oil and gas executive Lola Omotayo, better known as the girlfriend and mother of Peter Okoye of P-Square‘s 2 children gave an exclusive interview to PM News. The interview was conducted by Bayo Adetu who also happens to be P-Square’s publicist.

Since she’s been in the limelight, many fans of P-Square have had questions about how the couple met and why they are not married. Lola answers all the questions!
Click HERE to read the complete interview and check out excerpts below.

How Lola and Peter Met
I worked for an advertising company called FKG2 and spent about five years there. We did a lot of things and it was interesting, that was where I met Peter actually. One of our clients, British American Tobacco (BAT) and P-Square were doing something on Benson & Hedges then. We were on a road show together.

Lola-OmotayoLola’s Journey – Growing Up, Education & More
The journey has been a very interesting one. My Dad is a Nigerian and my mother is a Russian. I was brought up in a household where both cultures are very important to my family. As a child, I went to boarding school where I learnt how to speak Yoruba. It wasn’t one of those glamorous schools, it was in Ondo State. Basically, my father wanted me to have reality check of where I come from and what I need to aspire to be as an adult. From my mother’s angle, she imbedded her own culture on us as well. She insisted that we speak Russia at home, and we speak Yoruba at home as well, so I got the best of both languages. Eventually in 1990, I went to the University of Ife for a short while to study Psychology, but Nigeria was in a terrible state then; universities were on strike and all that. So my father said ‘why can’t you come to America,’ because he was working there then. So I applied to study Theatre and Film in San Francisco University, America. I wanted to focus more on directing because I didn’t want to become an actress, but eventually life just took me through a journey and I started working for an I.T company there. That was how I started building my career before going into advertising. Many years later, I decided that I’m going to move to Nigeria, but before then, I did some interviews to ensure that I secure a job before coming here. I got a job with ECONET as their Events Manager.

On being an “Independent Woman”
I believe that as a lady, you have to support your partner. You can’t put everything on your partner; it is important to add value as well. Even though I’m not bringing as much as he brings to the table, at least, I’m adding value and making things a lot easier. Honestly, that’s the way I was brought up; I can’t rely on someone for everything. I have to be independent. I should be able to buy something for my kids without asking their father for money. I feel good as a person knowing that I can do things for myself, not that I want to feel above him in anyway, but I just feel it is important for me to add some value to his life as much as he adds to mine.

On her Value System
I think it is still about family values. I came from a humble background; I didn’t come from a very rich background. My parents worked really hard and I saw the care that they took to ensure that they instil the best on their kids, so I drew my strength from there. You have to fight for whatever you want; if it is education that will take you there, then, you have to go to school and ensure that you get the needed degree. And if you are creative, you can do other things, may be design clothes and all that. It doesn’t have to be a big job. Dangote didn’t start with millions of dollars, so you have to be focused and work on it gradually to get to where you are going.

“A lot of women are greedy and lazy, so they just want to get married and stop working.”
I think that is the core of our problems in this society because we put so much pressure on the man to take care of us, pay our bills…we put so much pressure on them, and that tempts some men to start doing some shady businesses. Women put too much pressure on men in this part of the world. Also, a lot of women are greedy and lazy, so they just want to get married and stop working. It doesn’t mean women should go all out and work for the men, but somehow, you just have to make things easy for him. I see a lot of young ladies out there; it is not as if there are no jobs for them to do, the problem is that they don’t want to do certain type of jobs, they want everything to come easy. I started the very hard way, I didn’t start the easy way like people assume. I had to work myself up there because I had a vision. A lot of young ladies in Nigeria see people driving fancy cars; carrying fancy bags and assume that a man is supposed to do all of that for them, so they sell themselves in order to get it. But you don’t have to do that. You can always find ways to make money legally.

Dating a Celebrity is Difficult!
Having a relationship with a musician is one of the most challenging situations to be in. There are things you have to deal with; a lot of women, intruders, fans. You have to appreciate and respect the fans, but you also have some of them who are thinking of other things. I think it’s one of the most challenging relationships one can have. You won’t even spend much time with your partner because he’s on the road most of the time doing shows and concerts; even during holidays like Christmas, Easter and New Year, they are not around. So I’m not really enjoying that part. But I thank God that we are managing it very well.

On Why She Loves Peter

His Confidence
I love Peter because he was never intimidated. When I met him, he was just trying to build himself and I was very proud of him. I have a lot of respect for him, his talent and I saw that he had a vision. Peter doesn’t get intimidated by anything; in fact, he supports and encourages me all the time. I think he’s happy that he doesn’t have to do everything; he can rely on me that I will take care of our kids.

His Drive & Vision
Peter has drive. He has vision and pursues it. He doesn’t let anybody distract him from that vision and that I saw in him, which a lot of people didn’t see. Some people were like, ‘what are you doing with a musician? Are you crazy?’ but I saw something very different and unique about Peter. I saw the goals he set for himself and how he accomplished those goals step by step, and I was very impressed with that.

His Generosity
I also saw that he wasn’t a selfish person. He was a generous person from the outset, even though he didn’t have much then, he was always generous. I like a man who is generous, not for the financial reason, but also to see how he can add value to other people’s lives; that is very important to me.

He Listens
He is also a good listener; he listens to people, listens to me…those are the things that attracted me to Peter. He’s an amazing guy.

His Romantic Flair
Peter is very romantic as well. He does things that an average Nigerian guy will not do. There was a Valentine’s Day that he came to my house with a guitar and played some love ballads for me. That was really cool and I loved it. Those are the little things that he does that really touched me.

1. ms lala

June 4, 2013 at 9:35 am

[email protected] whole peter relationship…am hoping they had a secret marriage and they both didn’t want a public wedding..if not..the whole thing odikwa one kind….Amen to the lovely kids they have but peter please wife up the young lady …and stop being irresponsible…bellanaija if u like don;t post my comment .

• enenebe

June 4, 2013 at 9:43 am

i second you o in ur ‘odikwa very one kind” lol!

2. oh yea

June 4, 2013 at 9:40 am

if you like it then you should put a ring on it – IN BEYONCE’S VOICE

• eve

June 4, 2013 at 12:12 pm

looooooooooooooooool

3. Kiky

June 4, 2013 at 9:43 am

She is a beautiful and intelligent woman. She knows what she wants and she loves her man…kudos to her.

afrigenic.blogspot.com

4. 'Mide

June 4, 2013 at 9:44 am

Love is a beautiful thing when the right woman comes along. There is nothing that makes a man’s life more fulfilling than having a woman that is understanding.

5. destiny

June 4, 2013 at 10:10 am

is ur biz if dey no marry,Africans wit their marriage mentality

• Missy

June 4, 2013 at 10:56 am

Why don’t you want them to marry? You and your fornication mentality.

• nene

June 4, 2013 at 6:06 pm

fornication mentality.LOL

• ty

June 4, 2013 at 9:00 pm

lmaoooooo….i love my fellow naija people

• Naija4life

June 11, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Word! Hahaha

• omalicha

June 4, 2013 at 10:56 am

No. It’s a ‘God’ mentality.

• Bella

June 4, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Thank you, please do allow foolish thoughts to enter your mind, did they both not come from wedding parents, abeg, if you want to live in sin, dont assume most of us do, my own issue is dis, why didn the interviewer ask em if they want or see marriage in the cards? I know for certain any woman who bears a child for a man and does it twice over internally is craving to be wifed, so why is Peter not doing so, i bet if she was the one delaying tactics here she would have openly said i am not ready. men! when will you do the right thing? so he has to wait for her to be 50 and he has done his round and is tired like Tubaba before he marries her. MScheeewwww

• Omo1

June 4, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Please tell her! Nonsense

6. mrs. a

June 4, 2013 at 10:54 am

He will stay amazing so long as your skin colour stays light and bright. U know how psquare does it in their videos and personal lives. And we wonder why so many are bleaching. Dark skinned and proud, Mrs. A

• Busola

June 4, 2013 at 12:14 pm

This is tad myopic, no offence.. What has skin colour got to do with this??

• Mariaah

June 4, 2013 at 12:41 pm

LOL.. She definitely has an issue with colour.. Free am..

• Obongawan

June 4, 2013 at 12:26 pm

take several seats. What does skin color have to do with this. People are beautiful notwithstanding the color of their skin and love does not look at color.So just shut up. It is only ignorant people that will choose to change the color of skin they were born with and it’s nobody’s fault.

• zsa zsa

June 4, 2013 at 9:17 pm

What was the point of that comment? “Dark skinned and proud” so what should the naturally light skinned people do? apologize for being so? why are you worried about people who bleach and how are light skinned people responsible for that? comments that make NO sense. She is biracial so she can’t help her complexion even if she tried.

• Funmi

June 6, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Inferiority Complex dey worry you. Dark and proud! Whose business, if you are yellow and not so proud. Take several seats pls.

7. winny!

June 4, 2013 at 11:01 am

I love dis lady!it’s always good 2 have some level of independence financially!i always advocate dis!some lazy gals allow d guys 2 ve little or no respect 4 dem cos they solely depend on dem 4 everything!nice one lola!winifred lucky imbasi

8. Omo1

June 4, 2013 at 11:17 am

I’ll still say the pair should go and get married!!! For all of you saying Africans and marriage mentality..well i’ll rather remain old school if that’s what it means! NO ONE, no matter how civilized you have proved to be in your own eyes or mind, can counter that God ordained institution..more so they are making babies together..oh please!

Well all the best to them! I’m out!

9. Amaka

June 4, 2013 at 11:33 am

*He does things that an average Nigerian guy will not do. There was a Valentine’s Day that he came to my house with a guitar and played some love ballads for me*…that’s cos not all Nigerian men can sing!lol

• Anon

June 4, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Thanks for being so clever.

• Ikunkun

June 4, 2013 at 4:18 pm

hahahahahahaha………….abeg take 5!!! that was so witty!! you got me actually laughing out loud!
      Abeg one of my exes(an average naija boy) could sing and he sure did sing/play the guitar for me every other night (as irritating as that was). Trust me, most guys that can sing serenade their chicks, Nigerian or not. But na song we wan chop? Let him make an honorable woman of you my dear….stay there and be popping babies like no man’s business.

10. Jolla

June 4, 2013 at 11:43 am

Can he just marry and make a decent woman out of you please!

• Jo!

June 4, 2013 at 12:21 pm

As in!

11. Nenye

June 4, 2013 at 11:49 am

Mmm i love dis woman is good 4 a woman to understand her man

12. Robinson3d

June 4, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Thats sounds nice. Thank God he did remembered her in their days of plenty. Sounds nice. Hope to have such character by God’s grace

13. Bella

June 4, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Can they marry and build a solid foundation for their children already. Dis back and forth and making babies out of wedlock is not on, at all. Here we are trying to curb all bad mentalities, but advocating for fornication and all. Personally I know dis woman wants to wed again, Peter if you dont ring it, abeg free am joor.

14. Naveah

June 4, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Well, you’ve made your bed and so shall you lie in it. Pray that he remembers one day to make you more than his babies mama but makes you his wife so that your children can truly claim the inheritance of their father as legitimate children of the family. Even here in oyibo land, baby mamas may abound but they are still looked down upon so whether una like tok say na “African Marriage Mentality” or whatever, there is no woman in her hearts of hearts who bears children for a man who supposedly loves them who doesn’t want to be seen has his wife. Y’all can hide under the cloak of modernity all you want but even our forebears who were NOT Christians instituted traditional marriage because even their in their supposed ignorance knew that a woman and a man should declare their intentions before the gods of the land, the parents, elders and the community before living together and producing children.

Lola, keep in prayer o but remember all that “I Am Independent” business When and If yawa gas o.

• nan

June 4, 2013 at 2:32 pm

15. Funmi

June 4, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Nigerians just have ideas about how things should be without asking why. WHY should they get married? Because it will miraculously make their relationship stronger? Because kids who grow up in married homes never become “wayward”? Or because the price of garri will magically increase in the market? They have a stable, loving relationship and children that are well taken care of. You people just saying they should get married for the sake of being married, explain what the point is abeg. And if anyone brings God into this, PLEASE flog yourself because we all know the hypocrisy that is involved in many religious marriages. We know countless couples who got married in church and one still beats/cheats on/maltreats the other. No one is saying marriage is bad, but no one is saying it is oxygen either. If they are cool with their situation, IT IS NOT BY FORCE.

• Turayo Tijani

June 4, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Because of the courts. In most countries marriage is legally binding. There are many benefits to being married: tax filing, spousal privilege and should something bad happen the spouse has the right to determine your health plan…among many other benefits

• Lade

June 4, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Madam Funmi, It is not by force to get married dear. However, i suppose you are not a Christian and if you are don’t start the ‘stop judging advocacy’ on me, when u finish reading this.
      Fornication is when two unmarried people have sex. A lot of us fornicate, yeah (God forgive us!). But when you have a man who perhaps shows his seriousness by impregnating you twice, (which is wrong in the first place) the right thing to do is get married, seek God for forgiveness for fornicating in the past and start on a new note. I know it’s none of my business since my own righteousness is a mere rag before God’s eyes but the blunt truth is, they are fornicating. These people are celebrities who our children watch and if not cautioned, emulate. I bet you don’t want your daughter to have kids outside marriage even though she’s on a steady with the man.

SO YES! IT IS BY FORCE TO MARRY if you have explored everything on the woman’s body. And lemme also add Fornication (Adultery etc.) are sins that would send one to Hell. How many people are ready for hell? Please raise your hands.

• Funmi

June 6, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Since you are married, take your certificate to heaven with you, it should be automatic. . . This is another Funmi.

• Amaka

June 8, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Thank you very much, you took the words right out of my mouth, If Peter loves and respects her as she claims, he should “WIFE HER” simple”!

• Ikunkun

June 4, 2013 at 5:39 pm

We are not the ones you should be asking these (stupid) questions. How about you go and ask the elders in your village why people get married……mschewww.
      The word bastard is and has stayed in the dictionary for a reason, there are laws in every land set up towards a man and woman being legally married, and they protect the children. Even gay people are fighting for rights to get married, you are here analyzing and dissecting. My people will say, may it not be too late before you understand….

• Funmi

June 4, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Are we seriously bringing up legal benefits as a reason why people should get married in this same Nigeria? REALLY? This same country where families take over the property of deceased men and leave their wives and kids to rot- marriage certificate or no marriage certificate? This same country where people casually commit bigamy with no consequences? These are not Nollywood or Linda Ikeji stories o. These are things I’ve seen over and over again. Plus, you can make someone your next of kin/put them in your will/make whatever legal decisions you want without marrying them. In short, try another explanation.

As for the spiritual angle… Even basic knowledge of Christianity (I assume that’s the religion you grounded your response in) would tell anyone that sin is sin. So, that whole argument that repenting from fornication and getting married is the right thing to do doesn’t make sense. What if you’re not fornicating but you’re lying/stealing/gossiping/whatever? Marriage is not a passport to Heaven and doesn’t necessarily guarantee a godly life so that argument makes no sense either.

And finally, this whole idea of going to my village to ask my elders… *sigh* When someone asks a question, try to answer it instead of “sending them home” as we say in Yoruba. At least the first two responses provided some kind of answer regarding the question of what makes marriage important. Avoiding the question just proves you don’t have a decent response.

Again, I want to stress that I do not believe that people should never get married. I just don’t believe the opposite- that everyone MUST get married- either. It’s a nice thing to do if you want but it does not hold the power of life and death. Sitting behind your computer typing judgments about what a grown ass woman should do with the father of her children just makes little sense to me.

• Funmi

June 6, 2013 at 4:00 pm

So on point. We just like to take Ibuprofen for another person’s headache. Marriage, marriage, marriage! Kilode! Na certificate to enter heaven. I am so sick and tired of this hypocricy. Marriage is not a do or die affair, you cant force a guy to marry you if he is not ready. If they are happy in the relationship, fine.

16. Just saying...

June 4, 2013 at 4:36 pm

All ye cyberbullies…
    Just pray for dem

17. divachick

June 4, 2013 at 4:41 pm

sounds like a grounded woman…thumbs up…andddd ring will come, marriage is not the ultimate.

18. nich

June 4, 2013 at 4:51 pm

@mrs a….i agree with you….skin color has all to do with it

19. spicy

June 4, 2013 at 5:50 pm

@ Ikunkun very well said!

20. baby gurlz

June 4, 2013 at 5:59 pm

To you all saying if you Fornicate u will go to hell, lemme tell you, if u attack your. Fellow human. Like you are doing now, you will also go to hell! Faster than the fornicator sef! Mscheeeeew! If you don’t. Have work, lick mango! If you have work face it! Leave people To run their lives, that is what christianity is about, you guide and help in love not judgement! Crazy judgemental Nigerians!

21. chizzy

June 4, 2013 at 6:29 pm

All these are words of a desperate woman seeking for marriage. A decent well brought up girl can not do what you are doing. You are just but a baby mama. Pls try ur best to make him marry you. I hate women dat doesn’t follow decent rules! Gosh.

• slice

June 5, 2013 at 1:49 am

and I’m not a big fan of women that write poorly……”what is I hate women that DOESN’T….

• Omo1

June 5, 2013 at 3:21 pm

..so I am guessing you are lola?!..lolz

22. Partyrider

June 4, 2013 at 7:41 pm

There’s a very fine line between stating something is wrong and being judgmental.. If you don’t understand this,then I am sorry.
    That said,I can’t knock her hustle,she sounds hardworking and smart.
    I pray for her sake and the sake of her kids,Mr Okoye puts a ring on her finger soon.

23. Blessmyheart

June 4, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Erm …am I the only one seeing this – ‘Eventually in 1990, I went to the University of Ife for a short while to study Psychology’? Just how old is she?

• Omo1

June 5, 2013 at 3:24 pm

You brought my attention to it! Like for real? 1990 I wasn’t even close to getting into secondary school..hmm

• Funmi

June 7, 2013 at 3:11 pm

What are you doing here toddler? Oya go and study. Now!

24. honeymix...

June 4, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Yes o! I rily hope Mr. Okoye puts a ring to it because how would she ever feel if he eventually wifes another woman and she would just be tagged as his baby mama,or is it until she bears a fourth child that he should wife her up and @Funmi is saying what our biz is. Can I ask @Funmi, you bear a child for the man you love the first time and then a 2nd one,would you be happy deep down that he has not wifed you up as he’s dulling.

25. Newbie

June 5, 2013 at 12:50 am

Tufiakwa for Nigerians. You people can like to hate!!!!!

26. Peaches77

June 5, 2013 at 10:21 am

Love this lady. Very grounded. Peter do the right thing, I bu naw for naa.

27. Peaches77

June 5, 2013 at 10:22 am

Love this lady. Very grounded. Peter do the right thing, I bu nwafor na.

28. Miss Anonymous

June 5, 2013 at 10:42 am

I don’t know why people like to take panadol for other peoples headaches! All these people asking why Peter hasn’t popped the question and how Lola would feel if he marries someone else. I’m sure she must have considered the possibility of this happenning before she took decided to get knocked up at least the second time. She must also have thought about the possibility of eventually having to raise their kids all by herself.
    Whilst marriage is a GOD ordained institution and we are quick to point out that they shouldn’t be living in sin, I really don’t think it’s anyone’s headache. Things don’t always turn out the way we plan, sometimes life happens! I’m sure Lola like most women grew up with ideas of having a fairy tale wedding and all, but that “knight” probably didn’t show up. I’m not advocating getting pregnant out of wedlock when age is knocking (as she must be somewhere around 40 judging by her story), but no one can understand the complexities of a situation better than the people involved.
    I would be happy to see them get hitched but if they don’t life goes on…..

29. Peaches77

June 5, 2013 at 11:49 am

On the other hand, it’s possible that the lady is up to 10 years old than Peter. That could be their delay.

• ovuoke

July 11, 2013 at 12:43 pm

But that is no an issue when it comes to having babies?

30. NNENNE

June 6, 2013 at 4:55 am

Married or not I will call you ‘MY WIFE.’ Humble girl.

31. KH

June 7, 2013 at 10:44 am

1990 starting uni? She must be forty something years old then..dats probably d answer to the mystery. Maybe she feel say her time don pass and na only children concern her now. I dont think i would bother about marriage if i wasnt married at dat age men..just get on with my career and enjoy life since money dey.

• Funmi

June 7, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Now you are talking. Her biological clock is ticking, good thing is that she is not jumping from one man to another. She is a decent girl. And besides, age is a number. This is 2013.

32. Mims

June 9, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Sometimes I feel sorry for this chick (yes she is a chick, na be wife), her Facebook profile is full of selflies, yes you’re pretty but is that all your life is filled with? She is waaaaay older than him and had very sketchy past shagging Ojora, Kuku and that silver spoon crowd. None of those guys could ever get serious with her because of her reputation, she was always the booty call. She spouts bible verses on her BBM but is happy to live in sin. I guess she feels that she has to play it cool and not beg to be married as it has to come from the guy. She’s done herself a huge disservice by doing this interview as she has opened herself up to so much hostility and judgement. Should have just kept quiet in the background.

• Mii

July 4, 2013 at 10:38 am

I feel you Mims…..and she really is a very lovely person in and out. I can say that anytime cause I worked with her. And to people who say she had a shady shaggy past, were you guys there? Yes, I heard tales about how she was being shagged around but one question: who are we to judge her? When I read most comments I actually feel sorry for her.

• ovuoke

July 11, 2013 at 12:45 pm

But that is no an issue when it comes to having babies?

33. kk

July 20, 2013 at 2:26 am

am sorry 4 her,let me tel u my own experience.i met my at age of 25 cos i lost my ex-fiance bt ever since den i nefa BF or sex for 4yrs.i stayed focused on career.i always had a stomach pain and d doctor said my womb almost blocked, he told me av sex wit any1 dat i see. 2 mnth later i got pregnant d guy a movie producer/an artist.he didnt tel me dat has a daugher bt i told my parent dey were hapy.dey said he shld cme and see dem.he didnt respond.i stay wit him dere and eyes got red,he said he want d pregnant.later he accept it bt he always cals,bring dem home,av sex wit dem as wel.i suffer til today he neva proposed 2 me and i av 2 kids and i run away.Pls lola he doesnt marry u nt even traditional marriage.Pls you ar suffer one when women start 2 shows up wit dere kids.U cant kil dem industry lik musician,artist, dnt lik 2 get married.my advice 4 peter we women ar so smart if u ar so scared of her.pls do a DNA text in 3 diffrent hospital and confirm d kids is urs.den marry her by traditns.or test her lov 2 u.

34. Enigma

August 24, 2013 at 10:55 am

He’s proposed oh, people!

35. Teekay

September 19, 2013 at 1:01 am

Na wahooo, i dnt knw that u ppl will folow this post till date, agueing a particular thing i wich ur opions dosn’t count for more than a mnt? marrage or not, what maters is both are happy wiith themselvs so why are we taking ALABUKU fo watin them no knw say we da take am for. God bless nija.