News

Two iPhones & the Blackberry Q10! How Do Students Afford These Things? Watch Blogger Sisi Yemmie’s Video “Living Within Your Means”

Atoke

There’s an influx of videos on the internet that I almost can’t keep up. I found this one, watched it and after opening my mouth and closing it like 18 times, I decided to share with you guys. I almost kind of get what she’s trying to say but then it’s quite subjective.

Check out blogger, Sisi Yemmie‘s video on living within your means and share your thoughts. As for the music playing in the background, just mentally zone it out while you listen to what she has to say.

1. Spotter

June 6, 2013 at 10:48 am

Thanks dear . . . Nice one!

2. Abiola

June 6, 2013 at 10:49 am

I love it…nah true this babe yarn..there was a time I couldn’t even afford a Sagem not to talk of BB curve..but c me now today …I give thanks to GOD and no b say I do aristo ..I just dey take am one after the other…I really concur with you Yemmie..nice one

3. Comfort

June 6, 2013 at 10:55 am

LOL! Mentally zone out the music? I haff died HAHAHA

4. Bisi

June 6, 2013 at 11:05 am

I looooove Sisi Yemmie and she’s saying the truth!! Ive been following her blog for a while now….

5. Oaken

June 6, 2013 at 11:05 am

Proliferation of prostitution

6. Jane O

June 6, 2013 at 11:06 am

Fine girl Sisi….

7. Funmi Atanda

June 6, 2013 at 11:07 am

You finally discovered Sisi Yemmie!!! Whoop whoop!

8. Deedee

June 6, 2013 at 11:08 am

True talk sister!! Ladies we have to take it easy with the unending quest for material things..

9. titi

June 6, 2013 at 11:24 am

SIsi yemmie, my fav. Always on point

10. sophie

June 6, 2013 at 11:27 am

Nice one Sisi Yemi… Been wondering how girls afford the Prada and LV bags I see around.. Na who they help them? LOL. Thanks you.

11. yeti

June 6, 2013 at 11:28 am

Finally something proudly 9aija , real and totally relatable…….this I will subscribe to. Welldone sisi.

12. nikky

June 6, 2013 at 11:30 am

And that is how its done. Love the production.

13. aforlina

June 6, 2013 at 11:30 am

Yay my baby oku is a Vlogger to bedh! Cut your coat according to your material.

14. Tosin Olubanke

June 6, 2013 at 11:32 am

I wish you were close so I can give you a big hug. You’re awesome

15. Loli

June 6, 2013 at 11:41 am

I’m a persistant Fan of sisi yemmie …..Not feelling the under-tone of this publication. SIsi yemmie deserves more credit for her hard work. Good work sis keep it up Nigeria is listening

• AJ

June 6, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I know right?! Kept watching to see what made Atoke open and close her mouth 18 times, nothing at all!

• enenebe

June 6, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Exactly I thought so too when i read Atoke’s intro, but I just felt it might be my own biased understanding. I wish Atoke had elaborated on what made her open and close her mouth 18 times, was it in ‘pleasant’ or ‘unpleasant’ surprise?. ‘Cos from my side any of them fit make you open and close ur mouth 18 times shaa. i didnt like the undertone in that sentence at all

16. Michelle Obama's major side eye

June 6, 2013 at 11:45 am

ummm.. Is it not pronounced ‘Loubitans’.. just thought to point that out.. She made sense yeah..

• LeeC

June 6, 2013 at 12:51 pm

OMG lmao… sorry what is “Loubitans” is it now a yoruba brand?lol. Ok so the spelling is “Louboutin” and pronounced “LouboutON” asin “Loobooton”. Thank me later. Cheers.

• Michelle Obama's major side eye

June 6, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Seriously????? I wont argue.. Move along with your “louboutons” while I do with my “louboutans..” I wasnt talking spelling but pronounciation.. duh!

• Anonymous

August 26, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Actually LeeC’s pronunciation is correct. Google it!

17. salsera

June 6, 2013 at 11:48 am

still dont get what made u open ur mouth 18times

• omalicha

June 6, 2013 at 12:02 pm

am just thinking too

18. tony

June 6, 2013 at 11:55 am

OMG!!!!!!………Its sisi yemmie….watch her vids on Youtube. Love a bloggs. 10 thumbs up

19. kola blow

June 6, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Redefining women across Naija. Laddies take note. This is what we men will subscribe to. Love it. Keep up the good work.

20. khaki

June 6, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Perhaps what I admire the most about sisi is that she produces and edits her videos by herself. Good work love

21. My oga at d Top

June 6, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Nice job sisi Yemmie

22. mike

June 6, 2013 at 12:20 pm

” After God the greatest force on earth is Peer Pressure”

23. Dora the explorer

June 6, 2013 at 12:31 pm

no it is that prada bag that puzzles me 1k pounds miiiiii!!! all the girls/women in lag have it! *salutes*

24. Dr Chandus

June 6, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Good job yemmie.we’ve watched u grow from a blog to a website and then Vlogs!I wish u all of God’s best.kisses frm Ebuka and me!

25. iphyee

June 6, 2013 at 12:49 pm

i don’t own an iphone or the latest bb nor Brazillian hair but i solehandedly paid for my MBA course

• AJ

June 6, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Wow! Kudos to you sister!

• Idak

June 6, 2013 at 10:52 pm

take a bow,sis.

• Kiz

June 7, 2013 at 4:33 am

Now that’s wassup.u shld be hella proud of urself!

26. debutante

June 6, 2013 at 12:50 pm

gbam!!! tell those of them that care to listen. i wish young people would just take a step back from social media and all the ridiculousness with material things, and just focus on their lives…as in FOCUS!!

27. jemie

June 6, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Me I just use to wonder how the Celine bag I saw in Paris for 2800 euros is the Nok about in Lagos. I always console myself that what they have is fake (God Help me). Anyway sha one day for the thief another day for the Owner. Meanyl let me Famz a little, so Yemmie sombody watch this Video and said it felt like she was watching me Talk. Ghen Ghen

28. Jfk

June 6, 2013 at 1:18 pm

This is inspiring. Life is truly in stages. When i was a student i treid to manage what i had but friends always have bad things to say. Either they complain i wear the same clothes from the begining of the semester till the end,or the complain that i dress shabbily. Make no mistakes! Im pretty,i stand at 5.10 ft,with beautiful features but i choose not to be attached to my looks. Im a graduate now,happily married,about to tour the world with my hubby(uk,france,us),and expecting my ist child soon. Still cant believe that the once shabbily dressed and awkwardly tall girl has blossomed into a lovely lady(oh and im just 24). Wait for your time ladies,u will eventually get there… What a long sermon!

• goldfinch

June 6, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your story.
      I hope that in 2 years I can look back and smile.
      and btw I’m 22, no boyfriend but pray to be settled at 25.

29. Jfk

June 6, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Pardon my typos,its difficult typing on these fancy gadgets!

30. olu

June 6, 2013 at 1:26 pm

98% of all the designer bags, shoes, clothes etc in lagos is FAKE. ALL the celine bag na fake, haba dont be fooled.

31. Denike

June 6, 2013 at 1:39 pm

BellaNaija we love this one! Please can you make her a regular????!!!!!!! Thumbs up Sisi Yemmie

32. Go sisi !

June 6, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Preach sister ! preach !,…ahh u know dis

33. anon

June 6, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Spending on the credit card is not leaving within your means. It is GBESE!!!!

34. MD

June 6, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Hmm. Bella naija has entered the shading buisness. this article was laced with shades. the titile of her Vlog is “Living above your means” not Two iPhones & the Blackberry Q10! How Do Students Afford These Things? i clearly heard “people without an obvious source of income”.
    It was a good vlog, there was no need to try to diminish that

35. EYeinYOU

June 6, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Two iPhones & the Blackberry Q10! How Do Students Afford These Things? oh wow

36. Someone

June 6, 2013 at 2:24 pm

“If you sleep with a man or woman for money, you are a prostitute”.

37. EYeinYOU

June 6, 2013 at 2:27 pm

you can even open your mouth 50 times….y should a student have 3 mobile phones in the first place, even if he/she is SS or has itchy palms. total rubbish.
    ps: the individual is no longer a student because shehe can never concentrate on …NA WA OO

38. XoXo

June 6, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Word ! This is really good . Keep up the good work

39. Anonymous

June 6, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Most of them designers bag’s all over naija are fake and mostly copies from china…loool.
    Very Hard to tell the difference so make them no fool una. #Na wash
    although sha I dey see some chics carry orijo once in awhile and I don’t wonder coz either they are successful biz women or their papa get the money or na Aristo runs.

40. Funmi

June 6, 2013 at 2:40 pm

We all know deep down that what she’s saying is true but will people unlearn their bad behaviour/ messed-up priorities? Unlikely. All you have to do is look at how quickly people are torn apart (or praised) for what they wear/own or drive on this website and others. We’ve all seen the cheeky comments on event or outfit posts where someone sarcastically points out that another person’s clothes are “Primarni” or “New look”. I feel Sis Yemmie o but I just think her gist will go in one ear and out the other for most people.

• Omalicha

June 6, 2013 at 3:53 pm

This right here is the truth….the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

• Peju

June 6, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Primark my dear not primarni abi Wetin you write sef

• Laide

June 8, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Dats d nickname for primark..don’t come nd b feelin fly with yourself

41. Steph neverson

June 6, 2013 at 2:41 pm

preach!!! Good job Sisi yemmie, love her blog/videos!

42. Gboromiro

June 6, 2013 at 2:43 pm

YAWN!

43. b

June 6, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Preach it woman, especially to those that need this. #strolling

44. comment awaiting moderation!

June 6, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Best post ever! Just what I was wondering this morning…I’ve come across friends who tried to keep to latest trend how do they do it? Though I can’t watch the video,but I can sure relate to the story!

45. comment awaiting moderation!

June 6, 2013 at 3:19 pm

@Jfk,hug from afar!

46. dede

June 6, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Lagos in particular is vicious. I call it POSERVILLE. I went to Unilag so I completely get the pressure to always want to look good and how your worth as a person is based on how you look…Then I moved to the US and realized we are just suffering and smiling. I’m glad I did. My mentality has completely changed. I live in a town where people are more concerned about how to uplift the next person rather than oppress them. A town where you will completely ridiculous if you try to show off with your ‘baffs’. People are more concerned about how much of an intellect you are and how you can contribute to the society and make the world a better place. In Lagos, there’s this competition about how long you can go without repeating you clothes. Once you repeat they call you ‘repetez’. Sad!….Even Michelle Obama and Kate Middleton recycle their clothes and are probably richer than most of these girls. We need to change our mentality as Nigerians. These material things and the need to be called a big girl cannot get us far. Imagine a girl earning N100,000/month and can still afford to buy brazillian hair of N150,000. Where did you get the money???????? Really, we need to chill. Like sisi Yemi said you can ball on a budget. Save your money and try not to oppress your neighbour or friends.

47. dede

June 6, 2013 at 4:02 pm

* A town where you will look completely….

48. dede

June 6, 2013 at 4:07 pm

And this Atoke girl is definitely one of those girls that live above their means that’s why you’re saying its subjective. Because it’s either you have a rich daddy/mummy that buys you expensive stuffs or you’ve walked your way up the ladder and can afford anything at this point or you work in an industry where the latest phones, designer bags etc are given to you as complementary gifts if not you will understand that living above your means makes ABSOLUTELY no sense.

49. lola

June 6, 2013 at 4:22 pm

BN features a lot of these people on the red carpet though. Starting from the fashion designers,fashion bloggers, stylists nollywood actors and actresses, the PR consultants, event planners are all fronts for runs just like owning a club to front for yahoo and drugs. and add the regular 9 to 5ers to the mix too. its basically greed and lack of contentment. if una like no post my comment. Una don see am.

50. cathy

June 6, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Bless your heart dear for speaking the truth to our hearts.

51. Opeyemi

June 6, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Wow! Spot on!!! Well done babe, well done!

52. aleesha

June 6, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Atoke, but how is this video subjective? And pray tell, what got you opening and closing your mouth 18 times???
    I’m sure that not everyone who lives a ‘luxurious’ lifestyle is living above their means but there are certainly a lot of people who are to warrant a certain degree of generalization.

53. Doula

June 6, 2013 at 5:30 pm

I like her hair, looks like she texturized it. As for the message, some people really need to grow some self- confidence. I have promised myself that I won’t trend at my own risk. Why not dress simple and buy what you can afford than do the unnecessary? She nailed the topic

54. Snow white

June 6, 2013 at 6:18 pm

And WILL SMITH quoted “‘ we spend money that we do not ve On things we do not need to impress people who do not care.” and yes I agree!!

55. Adeola

June 6, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Very nice points Sisi Yemmie emphasized on. I didn’t fall flat for this pressure, but realized them myself, combining school with work. Work made me appreciate what I had with my hard earned money. I’m a proud owner of bb and iPad and I am just satisfied where I am. I had to take a step back to discover and appreciate myself for what matters and what doesn’t. Although I’m still amazed how naija girls do it all. I live in the State, and I know how much I will work my butt off to get a quarter of what the big girls/ babe have.

56. Adeola

June 6, 2013 at 6:27 pm

In addition, I’ll rather be a small girl and save my money on Investments than on Brazilian hair, bb Porsche and other expensive things beyond my means.
    P.S…….if you can afford it, go ahead….it’s your decision. If you can’t, think wisely, and prioritize.

57. Tomi

June 6, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I really dislike the undertone in Atoke’s intro. Totally uncalled for. What’s so subjective about this? What’s wrong with the music? Be more professional next time pls. This isn’t your personal blog.

58. Gee | EverythingWeddingsAndMore

June 6, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Loving this video but most of all your hair!!! (Y)

59. ms sexy

June 6, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I for one think there’s nothing wrong in looking good if you can afford it, life they say is step by step and some girls have decided to JUMP
    I remember how i started my life, humbly worked and bought myself a small car and equipped my small flat, lived humbly tl i got married and i stepped up, even after marriage, hubby is not one that’ll spoil u wt shopping money and all that but i managed to find myself a good job that takes care of my needs, i dont fantasize what i cannot afford and if i like i work harder to get it and i detest buying on credit, people that know me well knows if i cannot pay cash for it on d spot or give a reasonable 2/3 days to pay i’ll not even touch, its not pride but discipline
    our girls have to change their mentality and know that all they acquire is vanity, its good for one to keep her prestige cause future is so near, u dont want to mess urself today cause of material items and in future ur husband wl step out with you and all d men in d gathering’ll be looking ur way cause they were all ur one hit bang bang
    enough said!

60. Missy

June 6, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Please sisi yemmie shd also address this issue of Jazz/Juju more n more girls are lured into this everyday. Just last year alone the number girls I knew back in unilag linked to it was alarming n sum of them are from rich homes. They want to live the fast life by all means

61. Idak

June 6, 2013 at 10:47 pm

For all her good works, this blogger is wasting her time. Social media is the worst thing that happened to this generation. For all its benefits, it will kill us.The pressure to belong has been heightened by social media. Anonymity on such media means people can make any sort of claim and influence gullible folks.
    Secondly, ‘runs’ has become so ingrained into urban culture that i do not see a way out.

62. Ngum

June 6, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Nothing subjective about this! It felt like she was talking about Cameroon too. This is the complete truth. Lol @ keeping up with the Okafors.

63. omo-eko!

June 7, 2013 at 2:16 am

if u can afford it and it makes u happy, please buy! everybody and their own fetish! to each their flipping own! if u cant afford or its not your priority then look away,all these people that indulge are adults, luxury goods were made for human beings not inanimate objects!most pple commenting here and cannot afford these things are bitter hence the negative talk! offer them and they will snap it up in a heartbeat! this video is an absolute waste of time as most people it is directed to chose to acquire or live their lives a certain way!

64. Miss Tee

June 7, 2013 at 2:49 am

love love love! beautiful lady, very important message

65. Lala

June 7, 2013 at 7:15 am

I love this… But at the same some of us come from wealthy homes with trust funds dat can last us a life time so if the money u re blowing is legal props to us but if it is via shags Baba God dey look you…

66. Bills

June 7, 2013 at 8:59 am

Please realize that there are parents who actually get these things for their kids. Don’t be too quick to decide every girl with bags and gadgets sleep around to get them.

• Pat Pat Pat

June 7, 2013 at 9:12 am

lol di you listen at all to what she said? she want generalising and yes some of us get it from our parents

• Idak

June 8, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Leave that matter. The percentage of girls getting it from their parents is very minute and almost negligible in the scheme of things. That tiny percentage does not and should not distract from the malaise in discourse.

67. Bills

June 7, 2013 at 9:02 am

*sleeps*

68. nkiru

June 7, 2013 at 5:36 pm

im so bored of hearing all this talk about women this, men that bla bla bla. What is wrong with our society is a deep rooted inability to understand philosophical and political issues. We isted focus on subservient social issues that make no difference as to whether the country progresses as a whole. How can this lady expect people to fight an already cemented marxist capitalist agenda from the most hegemonic states? Her time should be better focused on how societies have evolved in under developed countries and where that has placed the female sex overall. As for her comments that she bought so much hair she went on a ‘journey’ means she bought so much fake hair she got bamboozled.

• Chinwe

June 7, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Madam nkiru take several seats. With all your grammar what have you done for nigeria? You are here Bamboozling yourself. With all your understanding this is what you got from what she said?This is probably her way of contributing. Its people likke you that give others a bad name. Go on With all your marxist capitalist agenda hegemonic self. Rock on Sisi Yemi!

• omo-eko!

June 7, 2013 at 7:24 pm

i totally agree with u nkiru! this is a clear case of running around in circles! all these are a result of our evolving societies in the social media era! the resultant effects! im sorry but the lady is just as shallow as the people she is trying to put down!

69. nonijaz

June 8, 2013 at 8:12 pm

really inspiring!

70. Lulu

June 9, 2013 at 6:12 pm

GBAM! It’s the truth, wether we like to hear it or not. Great video girl.

71. damepenelope