Events

What Are the Fun Things to Do in Lagos?

Where does one go to do something anymore?

I find I ask myself this question more and more each day as I relax into a laptop heat-induced coma. Perhaps my mind wanting to do something and my body borderline decomposing suggests that they are acting in a somewhat paradoxical manner but, to be fair, I honestly feel I have very little excuse to get out of bed at 5 in the evening anyhow.

Suppose I do decide to utilize what little willpower I have left from getting into bed and opt to call one of my many (more than 10) friends…what, pray tell, would I suggest we actually do?

As far as I’m concerned, in Lagos there are only 3 things to do…eat overpriced food, drink overpriced drinks (including the often forgotten but never omitted consumption tax) or watch a film at the cinema with the occasional proclamation of “witch” drowning out the sound of noisy children running up and down as their parents simply lose the will to chase them and perhaps to live.

Maybe I’m being pessimistic. Maybe I’m being unfair. I’ve never been that good at socialising anyhow unless you count awkward stares and the occasional cough as conversation.

No! I’m better than that.
I do talk to people actually, I just fidget a lot and don’t actually look directly at them. Hey, it’s what I’d do if we were talking over the phone and, to be fair, they spend more time typing clichéd tweets on their phone than engaging in actual conversation so perhaps I’m just ahead of the curve…if that makes any sense?

Perhaps I’m merely a reflection of the 21st century Zeitgeist. Then again, I met my first girlfriend (a girl waaaay out of my league) over a game of basketball. For us awkward people, activity is the way in which we start to feel more comfortable with people. We’re allowed to communicate through our actions rather than actual direct contact with strangers especially strangers of the opposite sex….a curious species.

Playing basketball brought my inner-cockiness and competitive spirit out and for some reason this appealed to her. I’m usually far too self-conscious to be confident but when we’re playing something that I actually feel I can beat you in, I feel like I’m on top of the world. I find in life I constantly need reassurance and actually feeling like you’re good at something tends to give one that.

She fell in love with this sensitive guy who, in his element, could be king of the world. I don’t buy into the whole girls like assholes argument but I do think a balance is important. No one likes a one-dimensional character.
But see, there’s nothing like that in Lagos and hence I will be single, and possibly broke (damn you consumption tax!) forever! Well for the next year or so unless I marry some rich Nigerian girl who gets turned on by being ignored by tall, fidgety men. Any takers?

There’s always the remote chance that such a girl doesn’t exist and if that’s the case, a year is a bloody long time! There used to be a bowling alley at the Palms and something that tried its very hardest to resemble a bowling alley at Silverbird Galleria but alas such luxuries are no more. I don’t know where to turn.

The cool thing to do now is to go clubbing but, to be honest, I hate clubbing! The music is simply too loud, the girls are too used to dancing in their tight circles and there’s always the odd chance of a self-proclaimed straight man with bloodshot red eyes threatening to rape you as you leave Marquis.Then the long lift down as you realise that he might actually be serious when he asks you if you’re afraid and then proceeds to ensure you that he’s not actually gay. There’s the very brisk walk to your car as he and 2 other guys start to follow you, and then the quick getaway….but I feel like I’m rambling on a bit. You know what I mean though? We’ve all been there before!

So I’m sure you can agree that something needs to change. Bring back bowling! Let’s have more publicly available sports centres where people can play basketball or go bowling or pretend that golf is actually a sport even though we know it’s the most boring thing on Earth that overweight 50-something year olds play just for the thrill of driving in a golf cart…I REALLY want to drive in a golf cart though…just once!

Food, drinks and going to the cinema are nice every once in a while but I, for one, would like something else to do at 5pm on a Friday evening.

Photo Creditthelostogle.com

Ayanam Udoma is a poet and blogger who moved to England at 16. He returned to Nigeria after his degree in marketing to participate in the NYSC program. He is now trying to adjust back into the “Naija” lifestyle. He blogs at A-Zone Poetry.

1. Amazeballs!

July 4, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I agree wholeheartedly!!! Go karting in one thing sha.

• Taiwo

January 25, 2017 at 4:33 am

Driving all the way out of my house just to go and drive again? Naa mehn lol

2. Dora the explorer

July 4, 2013 at 1:10 pm

to live or leave?

3. naana

July 4, 2013 at 1:11 pm

spend a day on okada/public bus to listen to other voice out their issues.
    the best is to visit Ajegunle.
    will never forget the experience.

• MelonX

July 4, 2013 at 4:11 pm

So totally love your response…really cool.

4. Dora the explorer

July 4, 2013 at 1:19 pm

and I’m totally with you on this one!! I hate clubbing!!! Loud music, inappropriate+rude+badly behaved individuals with the excuse “blame it on the alcohol” etc

• ij

July 4, 2013 at 1:47 pm

especially as smoking hasn’t been banned , its a nightmare in those clubs

• Ekenam Ofili

July 4, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I still can’t believe smoking hasn’t been banned!

• nene

July 5, 2013 at 8:00 am

smoking in clubs in nigeria is disgusting. what da fuck. such a turn off.i agree, we need more leisure centers and activities in lagos and nigeria. but i have bee to festac, ikeja, and like someone said, ajegunle, and those people know how to LIVE to the fullest. it’s more fun, no forming, just mingling and having fun. tho it’s not to safe.

5. meah

July 4, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Hehehehehe! Noice! i used to beech about this to my friend all the time back in Uni. IMO, the lack of activity options in not-too-dark-places ala cinemas is the main nookie culprit: people are just too bored not to get some.

Dear writer, rejoice cos i have (somewhat) good news.
    1. Go to Terra Kulture. No, its not the same as going to the cinema. for one, you watch plays, not movies (yeah, yeah). and you get to peruse art work and look cultured while at it. girls dig that. (read ‘rich girls’).
    2. Patronise an under-tree bar; the conversation is stimulating, prices are pocket friendly. and no darn consumption tax.

If all else fails, lie outside your pad and count watch the sky. you’ll be amazed at how many moving objects you’ll see.

• Bex

July 4, 2013 at 1:48 pm

@ Meah>>>heeheeehee infact HAHAHAHA!

Cloud watch isn’t so bad IMHO, beats running into the same ill-mannered people in the club every single week!

There’s actually nothing else to do in Lagos aside the cinema, clubbing and ….more clubbing and maybe the bar sitting thing (where all you do is lean over while straining to hear your mate shouting while trying to talk to you over very loud Naija music and drink over-priced ice cold beer with the darn high consumption tax). For women, the bar sitting thing is kinda out so aside from the cinema and clubbing we generally don’t have anywhere else to go (no i won’t count the salon and boyfie’s house). Window shopping is one of my fave pastimes but the sales girls start giving you the eye once it’s obvious to them that you’re not buying anything (Hey not everyone is a compulsive buyer! I prefer to mull over certain purchases).

Defo nothing to do in Lagos

• tai ajose

October 1, 2014 at 1:00 pm

I think we need a meeting place for the like mind.
      try jazz hole on awolowo road opposite the polo club, next door to oando.
      once in a while they have a nice jazz band.
      watched listened to temidollface , think erykah badu with a naija vibe .
      real good and original not your don jazzy fare.

love you all.

• Miss Anonymous

July 4, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Count the stars while mosquitoes sing halleluyah in your ears? I don’t think so 🙂

• jinkelele

July 4, 2013 at 2:42 pm

lol. great comment

6. jinkelele

July 4, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Serious something…but i feel you. You need something that engages ur body and mind besides dancing. Hold on tho I think there’s still Get arena?

7. jb

July 4, 2013 at 1:36 pm

in love with u alredi nd yes i would date u …….if ur ok with just being ome ,watchn movies ,playn video games and being on the internet at 5pm on a friday evening

8. Berry Dakara

July 4, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Duuuuuuuuuude! I totally posted on my blog today about how bored I am! See blog post at http://berrydakara.blogspot.com/2013/07/in-typical-dramatic-fashion.html

Ok, here’s my list of fun things to do
    1. Plays at Terra Kulture, Muson Centre, etc
    2. Freedom Hall has stuff to do almost everyday of the week. Tomorrow my friend, Bemyoda’s performing at Coral Blue in VI
    3. I’m going jetskiing this month, with or without anybody in tow
    4. Go-karting at GET Arena, which I haven’t actually done yet.
    5. I hear there’s paint-balling at that rowdy beach
    6. Go to a beach! Or a beach resort for more quiet
    7. Go swimming at any of the hotels.
    8. There’s salsa dancing somewhere on Thursdays, so I hear.
    9. An art gallery or two, maybe?
    10. Concerts, comedy shows, fashion shows, etc.
    11. What’s the casino at Federal Palace like?
    12. I met some guy that said he does tours of Lagos (he owns/manages The White Space in Ikoyi)
    13. There are film clubs around. One meets at the White Space too

Erm, these are coming from someone who says she’s bored in Lagos and has done only 2 things on this list she just wrote… Go figure.

• Masked

July 4, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Please wher do they jetski in lagos???

• Berry Dakara

July 4, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Off Admiralty. It’s N10k for 30 mins. It’s at 18B Wole Olateju. Web addy: http://optimelwatersports.gnbo.com.ng/

Also La Campagne Tropicana Resort is N5k to get in, and there’s a bunch to do there – you still have to pay for food sha. It’s almost 2 hours away from Lekki 1, past Ajah. http://www.lacampagneng.com/

• somebody

July 4, 2013 at 2:56 pm

There are karaoke bars, you can go to a lakeside patio and chill with friends…no, you don’t have to buy the overpriced drinks, a soda will do. The idea here is to go somewhere with your friend and hangout. There are art galleries (e.g Nike Art Gallery), there’s the natural conservation centre in Lekki. There’s the museum, Terra Kulture, Bogobiri (never been), the beach, small hangouts here and there even nice picnic spots where you can go alone or with friends. There’s a lot to do, just look beyond the “usual”.

• Yem

November 25, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Thanks. Very helpful

• Ayanam Udoma

July 4, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Ah those actually sound pretty good…I’ll have to give your blog a visit at some point.

• missindividual

July 5, 2013 at 9:25 am

you said most of the things i wanted to. if you live on the mainland they have karaoke at pub 1 on thursdays which is fun. not to mention that they have a massive screen and seating area so you can watch sports with your homies if you are in to that
      there is also a national museum by muson center i havent been there but i heard its alright
      one of my fav things to do is go to the beach its always a fun experience

• Hian!

July 9, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Wheres pub 1?

9. listening

July 4, 2013 at 1:56 pm

1) Take a ferry to from marina to ikorodu and back, its cheap:)
    2) Take a day trip to la campaigne with friends. There are lots of fun activities on offer.
    3) Try some local joints like those at bar beach, the one by the waterfront in ikoyi, one opposite passport office inn ikoyi etc. They are pretty safe with good food, no music though (at least not when i went)
    4) Join a gym
    5)Get on BRT and just follow it to where ever its going and back.

Ive done everything except option one, would do that soon, cant wait…
    Hope those help..

• Masked

July 4, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Take a ferry to ikd from marina ke…how many hours is that on water without emergency provisions…My mind is dancing that i must do it but then my head is saying ”dont even think of it”

• jinkelele

July 4, 2013 at 2:45 pm

its about 30mins

• Ada Nnewi

July 4, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I need to try out this your ferry option soon 😀

10. me2

July 4, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Hahahahha. Totally love the tone of your writeup and so with Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ on the club thingy. A lot of people just look at me mouth agape wen I say I don’t club! Sorry can’t help U̶̲̥̅̊ don’t live in lagos but hey there are suggestns already and many more coming up. Good luck!

• jinkelele

July 4, 2013 at 2:47 pm

we plenty wey no dey club, all that smoke, music too loud all manner of alcohol driven people puts me off. We should just form a group and organise group trips

• Ada Nnewi

July 4, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Lemme know when you set the date for the first meeting :D…especially if its an “outdoorsy” kind of meetup in the evening

• Senior

July 4, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Hear hear!!!!! I’m in too:D

11. yea

July 4, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I’ve been looking for a bowling alley in lagos for some months now. it is really surprising that Lagos does not boast of any

• Ayanam Udoma

July 4, 2013 at 10:27 pm

It used to boast a brilliant one in The Palms. In fact, you could play snooker there as well and there was an area where you could just chill upstairs. I loved going there with my friends but now it’s become a “Woolworths”. Maybe I’m biased because I’m a guy and shopping is not my biggest priority but I felt that we already had quite a few clothing stores but we only had one or two bowling alleys….why convert the bowling alley into yet another clothing store?

• 0latoxic

July 5, 2013 at 10:42 am

They shut it down because they were somehow not breaking even. I feel they just didn’t promote it well enough… But then again, Lagosians are skilled at flooding nouvelle spots and abandoning it soon after unless it’s something really engaging. The bowling culture just didn’t seem to catch on the way the cinema-going one did previously. Same way the paint-balling places all sprung/spring up and got/get shut down soon after. Sad.

• Ella

July 28, 2017 at 11:24 am

I am still looking for… is it possible that we now have one… I am so totally bored!!!

12. Dora the explorer

July 4, 2013 at 2:09 pm

oh! there’s a conservation park by the 2nd toll on lekki express!!!group visit!!

13. Ella

July 4, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Good topic
    @ listening, waterfront don close o, in court with Lagos State govt sha, where is la campaigne??
    i dont club, cinema once awhile, more of an introvert since i dont know anywhere in lagos. i always complain at work if i will ever get a guy( single girl )

hoping to join anoda book club here in lagos apart from the one @ debonairs
    anyways…..

• Aarinolaoluwa

July 4, 2013 at 3:49 pm

la Campagne : Ikegun, Ibeju-Lekki Local Govt. Area off Lekki/Epe Expressway

• Ella

July 9, 2013 at 5:57 pm

noted @ Aarinolaoluwa, thanks

• listening

July 4, 2013 at 4:28 pm

La campaigne is 30-1hr away from ajah depending on how fast you are driving that’s why I said it should be a day trip, start in d morning and leave in the evening.

• missindividual

July 5, 2013 at 9:30 am

more info on the book club please! i would love to join one. I think all us bored people should start an activities group we might make new friends and meet some guys in the process 🙂

• Ella

July 9, 2013 at 6:02 pm

noted @ Aarinolaoluwa, thanks

• 5'5

July 5, 2013 at 10:02 am

follow @book_ring. Its a book club that meets monthly at terra Kulture. Fun monthly book discussions

14. Heeba

July 4, 2013 at 2:40 pm

U guys are complaining of nothing to do in Lagos !What do u want Abuja/Port harcourt peeps to complain about. We don’t even have good restaurants to eat(except one or two) and would not mind having lounges/clubs to go to even if they r overpriced or high in Tax!

• fyo

July 4, 2013 at 3:33 pm

You are obviously very bored. Abuja has lots of spots than abj especially for relaxation. We have clubs, restaurants both the affordable n expensive, karaoke bars, polo clubs, bars, parks, i could go on…..and lounges sef

• dee one

July 5, 2013 at 3:23 am

Exactly….Abj has lots of really cool places….lounges, restaurants, bars, clubs, outdoor gardens; you just have to find them. The only thing we lack is a beach.

15. Omab

July 4, 2013 at 2:40 pm

please i will like a list of things to do in Abuja too o, the Place is so boring

16. B!

July 4, 2013 at 2:48 pm

This is the most hilarious article I’ve read on BN in a LONG time! Good work!

• Ayanam Udoma

July 4, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Thanks a lot man…it’s my very first article as well. I’m hoping to write more in the near future.

17. Davon

July 4, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Explain further

• Idak

July 4, 2013 at 9:51 pm

you’ve forgotten the boys who act as compulsory security guards for your cars by the clubs all around Adetokunbo Ademola on V/I. They surround you when you are leaving and rob you in the process of asking you to ‘drop something’ for securing your car while you clubbed.

18. TA

July 4, 2013 at 3:06 pm

i hate ging to clubs too. Prest used to organise boat rides… dont know whether that still happens. You could visit Terrakulture and Bogobiri house in Ikoyi if you like live plays,art exhibitions etc. If you like classicals and the opera,Muson centre is a good place to visit too. Dont know what their programme schedule is like though. If you are a bookworm like me :-)you could go for book readings and if all else fails,read a good book! lol!

19. Ready

July 4, 2013 at 3:11 pm

This totally used to be me…bored in Lagos, but no more.
    1. Like someone mentioned, Terra Kulture. Awesome place…overpriced food, yes, but the plays (Our Husband has Gone Mad Again throughout June was awesome) and events like Bobo Omotayo’s book something come up quite often. I don’t usually eat there tho’.
    2. Karaoke at Shaunz’ Bar in Murphy Plaza, VI is awesome. I’m a Friday night patronizer…you won’t want to leave. Overpriced drinks, yes, but watching the good, bad, and oh my gawd singing and people (young and old) getting their rapper/performer on is great. And you can sing too!
    3. Grotto has a pretty good live band thing going on Friday nights too. Again, overpriced drinks, but you can nurse one the whole night.
    4. Freedom Park is amazing. For one, that’s where Ade Bantu hosts “Afropolitan Vibes”…last month, he had Ego and Seun Kuti. Totally free, you get Lucozade Boost or something, and it’s in a colonnade abi kinikan type seating area…you know those outdoor Roman theater-ish sitting, and no forming o. Everyone’s dancing and having a good time, and drinking palm wine! Can’t forget the palmy. May’s performers were Ara and General Pype. And there was this great clock exhibit/sale too. This month’s is a furniture exhibit. Vast array of food choices to buy.
    5. Expos and Fairs. I went to Wed Expo…free cake and eye candy. There’s a food and beverage fair going on at Teslim Balogun stadium right now…prior to that, I went to sign the world’s largest jersey with a friend and we happened to be interviewed with a large bunch of people for Guiness’ montage.
    6. I have a contact on my BBM contact list who organizes trips for people who are willing. One time it was Olumo, another time it was Badagry and the Point of no return, etc, another one was to Ikogosi Springs.
    7. If your parents are part of any club like the Lagos Country Club or Lagos Tennis Club, you can try activating membership as a member of junior member. Swimming, tennis, etc…you’ll get a good workout, have a good time, and meet cool people. Plus the ofada and pepper soup are relatively cheaper, and it’s a very safe environment. Plus they’ve got massive tv screens so you can watch a sport of your liking.
    I’m sure there’s other stuff, but my post is already so lengthy. What I’d suggest is being open to trying new things, and having a friend or 2 tag along. Even the owambe parties are sometimes something to spice up your weekend. And then, there are many awkward people like you around…I’m an introverted extrovert…4 hours of fun and whizzing around and I retreat to my corner, you gotta make attempts to find these people and juice the friendliness out of them. I once forced the only Ghanaian around to be my friend when I was in this all-white part of the US…I was all “I shall not be bored for the duration of this program.” So…yeah. Try one of those!

• Masked

July 4, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Wow! i feel like saving your comments in a secret folder and opening it when necessary

• lizzie

July 4, 2013 at 7:54 pm

ahaaa ready, i will find you.. lol. Shaunz bar karaoke for the win, hilarious and fun.

• Ada Nnewi

July 4, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Can i please get the pin of your BBM contact that organizes trips?

• nwanyi na aga aga

July 4, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I have to save this your comment. Really eye opening. Thanks a lot

• Aibee

July 4, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Please can I have the contact of your friend who organises trips to Olumo Rock and like places? Its just what I’ve been looking for.

• Ready

July 5, 2013 at 9:49 am

GUYS! So, she said it’s okay to give it out. 2998B321. We’re going to Badagry on July 14 and it’ll include historical slavery sites like Mobee Family Museum Slave Market, Point of no return, etc…

• Naveah

July 5, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Dude THANK YOU for this list. I am copying and pasting it somewhere for my next visit to Lagos. I hate going to Nigeria for that reason because when you live in NYC a place is gonna have to do a whole LOT to impress me with their selection of extracurricular activities.

Ayanma Udoma – Amanam etieti!

• Ella

July 9, 2013 at 6:17 pm

@ Ready, just sent an invite to your friend.
      I want to be amongst the trip to Badagry on July 14th o, kindly give me info on how to be part of this.
      Thanks a zillion!!!

• realist

March 22, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Stumbled on this and couldn’t stop laughing…at a family event,i’ll do 5-6hrs max and other events 3-4hrs will do. Tried terra kulture twice tho for events,nice place. Aside that there’s nothing interesting i’ve done in years *tear

20. pynk

July 4, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Lol! got to the gym! its hilarious! Eko gym has an aerobics class that holds at 7pm mondays to fridays. I can vouch for the tuesdays, there are 3 lebanese guys that will have u in stitches due to their inability to follow the class the whole hour. And u’ll meet new pple and work out during that period. At least its N2k or so if you arent a member, and ur heart will thank you later. No i dont work there, i just work out there.
    Eko gym on idejo.

• Me

July 4, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I actually saved it in a folder..lool!
      @ ready , Thanks a lot hun..

21. Aarinolaoluwa

July 4, 2013 at 3:37 pm

LOL!!! Laptop heat induced coma?! LMAO….
    Well…
    There is Karaoke at Bheer Hugz cafe in Ikeja every friday (u cld just watch if u cant sing lol)
    Go karting GET ARENA in Lekki
    There’s OneMic Every Month…
    The Boat ride to Ikd not a bad idea.
    U cld visit naijaticketshopdotcom for list of events weekly..
    🙂

22. XYZA

July 4, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I’ve lived in London and for me even London gets boring sometimes. I think its just up to you to think up ways to have fun no matter the city. I love Lagos and anyways how many things do u really wanna do? Unless ur idle and dont have any business or job if you do, then friday evening to sunday night is all you basically have and how much do you really wanna do in that space of time? About loud music in clubs, From London, to Miami, to atlanta even to Dubai, I haven’t seen any club that plays music at a low volume,for me the only downside to clubbing in Lagos is the smoking indoors. Like someone wrote, go try PH and Abj if you think there’s nothing to do in Lagos. And as for prices, even in the UK you have to pay VAT on top of drink prices and the really good places in London are not that cheap.So from one guy to another, here’s a few things you can try.
    1. 44 restaurant at shoprite, good place to sit outside and people watch even if u dont wanna buy drinks and the prices are not that bad.
    2. la campaigne tropicana beach resort has a lovely beach and is fun in groups but its in epe and like an hours drive from V.I
    3. go on a boat cruise
    4. go for a swim at any of the hotel pools
    5. Attend a house party
    6. go for any one of the numerous shows/ concerts that happen most weekends
    7. Sleep
    8. watch a movie at home or Play PS or Xbox
    9. The outdoor lounge at radisson blu is a good place to meet people and also relax on a friday night with not too loud music
    10. You have a gf?? if yes, reinvent yourselves, if not, get one, you’d probably find your hands full and no more dull moments 😉

23. safayafierce

July 4, 2013 at 3:49 pm

hehehheheh funny post, got me laughing in the office, esp the part abt the straight/gay guy and the quick get away. I dont understand the concept of clubbing @ all. Dancing in a choked sweaty place sometimes all through the night! (abeg my sleep is very imp) New in lagos and its so boring for me evrywere seems so crowded not like i came from a bubbling place either(Benin), would love to try everything on berry’s list esp the jet skiing:) Hopefully soon will make new friends who we can try this stuffs together:)

24. xxx

July 4, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Hilarious!!!

25. Product of public Education

July 4, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Bored in Lasgidi isorite. Well it depends where you stay in Lasgidi. Island and etc you will have to wait for your mates to finish from work before you can go out subject to how much you have in your pocket or its just going to be you, yourself and your ma guide. I suggest your get a roller coaster or skate board no you are not too old for that. But for mainland bored na die! Bored ke….where Okada is fighting you car owner for lane, Lastma chase danfo, shoe maker making noise to know their around, Fuji music, Afro beat music, gospel music and all sort of music blaring from washed out speaker from music vendor, ikebe mascot selling soap for all purpose, children running after the ikebe mascot and mallam shouting out loud to buy used paper and used bucket. All you need to enjoy the hustling and bustling is to get camera and take candid pics. You will love you Lasgidi. In mainland boys and girls plenty die looking for nothing per se just forming busy so if you like to meet random people you can never be bored.

• buchi

July 4, 2013 at 4:59 pm

your comment is too funny!

26. MaybeTomorrow

July 4, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Thank God someone said so. I detest clubbing. My dress feels too short, the music is deafening so scratch any conversation. But I digress, I’m still in school but each time I come home to naij, my friends and I struggle to find things to do. We almost always end up in someone’s house with drinks, tv, puff puff and suya. We need to figure out what we’re gonna do about this because I plan on residing in my country and I cannot be bored every weekend for the rest of my life (Going for wedding every weekend is also out of the question with the implicit cost of aso ebi/ gift giving/ money spraying). Today’s July 4th, so there’s a bunch of free stuff to do here. Free concerts, fireworks in the park by the river and huge picnics. I always wonder how we can duplicate all this stuff in Nigeria and make it safe so everyone can go.

• Ade

July 11, 2013 at 6:17 am

…”my dress feels so short” lol!

27. m

July 4, 2013 at 5:14 pm

No you didn’t! Golf is only boring to guys like you who don’t give a damn about learning the game. I love golf with passion and enjoy going out there for four hours on saturday with my buddy. I will make sure to invite you for a round of golf when am in Lagos. Make sure to catch the British Open tv in few weeks.

• Ayanam Udoma

July 4, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I don’t know man….I’m pretty passionate about riding around in a golf cart. That has to count for something right?

• sisi kelebe

July 4, 2013 at 11:45 pm

where’z de ‘like’ button when you need it… 🙂

• Pl`ofessonal golfer no ni

November 20, 2013 at 9:18 pm

As it golf is not boring enough, you invite pple to watch
      it on tv? Lol! To spend 45 mins watching men hit a ball somewhere
      then go looking for it! eee lost?

28. piri

July 4, 2013 at 5:29 pm

maybe bowling, there is go cart near shoprite, my kids have overused that facility, even they get discounts when they are there on hols. Its true lagos is boring, the other day I asked my driver to take them to terra kulture apart from a few african books my daughter have come to treasure, not alot going. Nice article we need some more facilities in Lagos, anyway from a Mum’s perspective though

29. Annie

July 4, 2013 at 5:47 pm

lol @ comments buh seriously i hav got a list to show my bf cuz he’s d busy type n if he’s still busy i’m out with a fwend. I must try almost all b4 december, han han kilode

• Miss Anonymous

July 5, 2013 at 9:53 am

What is “buh”. What is “fwend”. In a few years, a lot of Nigerian youths won’t be able to spell without the use of spell check.

30. balistic

July 4, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I believe there is a lot to do…… but how much can you do considering how stressful work or business could be in Lagos! I believe the key is having interesting /exciting friends (who have some spare change and not some broke peeps) who are in sync with the social scene in Lagos. Pardon me, but I guess the author doesn’t have the “right” friends. Lastly, in my opinion I believe Lagos is more fun than even London especially during the yuletide season.

31. m

July 4, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Tennis after work on Monday, wednesday is indoors soccer, bar on friday, soccer again saturday morning, and golf in the afternon. I go to church every Sunday. Sunday afternoon is to review for monday meeting. I know I’m able to do all the activities because i am single. A married guy or in a relationship may not be able to keep it up.

32. charming

July 4, 2013 at 6:03 pm

read all options given………… why dont you visit bnatural medspa @ #14 agbagbon close off ologun agbaje, adeola odeku, victoria island or # 11 oduduwa way ikeja gra (for does on the mainland). trust me you would be overwhelmed as I was when I went. Very pocket friendily *winks*

33. Somebody

July 4, 2013 at 6:23 pm

BN please compile a list of things to do or events that are happening this summer. Also, where can single people meet other people oh…

34. Xtsy

July 4, 2013 at 7:47 pm

More than enough owambe parties to keep boredom away

35. ME

July 4, 2013 at 8:55 pm

try this website, it might help! lostinlagos.com/

36. ib

July 4, 2013 at 9:40 pm

1. When i was in lagos, i used to enjoy going to kuramo beach some evenings, just for the mad trips alone. There’s a particular bar that me and my crazy friend would go to , one random guy would be dancing to naija jams on the stage, so very silly rugged moves and would have us in stitches. By the end of the nite, we’ve consumed one big fish with chips/plantain and nursed down a few stout and coke. Nice for an odd tuesday evening groove.
    2. I used to date one guy that loved going to the beach….so on a saturday afternoon we would take a drive to Epe town, do some sightseeing and go to the fish market to get some nice fresh fish and big snails. Afterwards, we would drive to Eleko beach with some packed lunch, get a tent like shade, i would have a book, he would have his newspapers and Time magazine and we would just chill with a nice bottle of wine.
    3. A friend and i used to enjoy going to some ‘koro’ like that in VI and drink cheap booze and smoke some…’you know what” That was usually my best trip.
    4. Ikoyi club and astro turf for football, i hear is nice.
    5. Karaoke is always a winner.
    6. Any place or event where i can sight the ‘fake’ lagos crowd with their over ‘phonetics’ and overposing, i tend to avoid.

Overall, lagos can be fun sometimes with the right crowd. As for PH if you dont have an aristo to groove you, you will be on a dull thing.

37. ty

July 4, 2013 at 10:00 pm

D truth is lagos is interesting but uv got to hav d money to go around.I live in d southwest of uk and boy,there is so much stuff to do,u can go to islands for as little as 20pounds,u can hop on trains and visit different towns for minimal prices,u can go to d beach for free,there are amusement parks,with 2quid,u can do so much there. D drinks r ok,evn though u pay tax,they r not overpriced.we have all these stuff in lagos but d difference…too expensive!

38. timmy

July 5, 2013 at 4:22 am

@ty, lagos is truly all about the money…[email protected] Udoma, the only thing you can do apart from all the suggestions above is …GO TO WEDDINGS!!!! At least there’s free food, nowadays they’re good DJs at weddings, you can also get to meet people..lol..hilarious but true!

39. sinquanon

July 5, 2013 at 9:34 am

Thanks BN readers, you have just planned my Lagos holiday for me. Been indecisive about going to naija this year because the last time I went a couple of years ago I was bored stiff. Also with the naija flight money alone (especially summer and xmas) you can actually go on holiday to some nice European country for a week or two (flight and accommodation included). But hey naija is home and it keeps beckoning somehow. Will definitely try out some of the activities mentioned here.

40. chi chi

July 5, 2013 at 11:40 am

omilawd this post is everything! I’ll try to check out some of @Ready’s suggestions. Good job BN.

41. Priscy

July 5, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I wonder what the writer would have complained about if he were in Jos. I am super bored in Jos every weekend. No cinema, no beach, No Karaoke, no place to watch live play, no art exhibition, no game villa and I don’t club. The only fun thing I do in here is to go swimming. Thatsall. I have to travel to abj anytime I feel like the “boredomness” would kill me. So please, appreciate the Lagos u are in and I’m sure by now with the several list of places various ppl have suggested, you can not be bored in Lag.

42. clos wrecker

July 6, 2013 at 12:14 am

1. Go to the market. Balogun market or any other major market in Lagos.

2. Take all forms of public transportation. Brt, Danfo, molue, Keke marwa ( where available). Experience the diversity of the city from the mainland to the island. If you get liver, take the train.

3. Watch football at a viewing centre.

4. Eat at Mama Put or any ‘Food is Ready’ restaurant.

5. Buy a bicycle, ride it and feel the wind on your skin.

6. Go to Church on Sunday or any other time.

7. Go for a big, big wedding.

8. Sit at Unilag’s Lagoon front. If it gets boring, get on a canoe and paddle with the canoe men if they allow you to. If that gets boring, get them to drop you off on one of the bridge’s slab. Sit there and meditate.

Intergrate and connect with the people that gives Lagos its vibe. Be open to anything. Collect the tract, go on a mainland, island photo trip.

43. Afam

July 7, 2013 at 10:17 pm

• Uche

July 8, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Oh Afam! Hilarious and very well written. New convert here 🙂

• Afam

July 11, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Thanks!! I’m always glad for new converts!! you are afamzing!!! #allow

• Marlyne

July 9, 2013 at 10:07 am

LOL, ivnaded your blog, hahahaha the coloured hair? the ‘babanriga’ (thats the hausa word for that awesome blue kaftan u wore)…. u’v got urself a new stalker, kudos

44. Marlyne

July 8, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Oh my days, sitting in the office and i stumbled on this, wish i could laugh but i cannot else my boss may…*gives the side eye*…
    So there are a couple of things that would go on my bucket list, the book club, terrakulture, boat cruise, etc. I recently relocated from Abuja to Lagos and whoever said Abuja was boring? Abuja just lacks the beach and traffic, oh and crowd, Lagos lacks the garden setting :p
    A lot of people did think i would not survive Lagos, especially coming from the mainland to the island on a daily, work resumes at 8:30am and closes at 5:30pm, so i am up at 5:00am and home latest 11:00pm, trust me, after that you will be so drained to even think of hanging out.
    I am not a club person, so that already is off the list, when i have time on weekends (when i am not working) i have my laundry done and SLEEP. Sometimes after work, i go to the movies (taking style to wait for traffic to reduce before i head to the mainland) other times, i hang out with colleagues or a gf at coldstone in Lekki, i am rather busy and without time, so except for the ‘hustle to get on a bus, the white-house where i sometimes eat or the bukka behind zenith bank at Lekki phase1, watching old men fight over jammed cars’, there is nothing to do.
    Before i forget please the July 14th trip, i do need details, i fit close eyes go, rather than sleep all day…
    I do need to invest in a very good camera, you should see my instagram page, its filled with random pictures of places and funny stuffs i come by on a daily. Do visit my blog ‘rambles of a fresh lagos chic’, the last blog post, ‘from an almost posh abuja life to lagos’…. have a good laugh, new friends needed oh, when u need someone to tag along, as long as its convenient, fun and there is free food, ild be sure to grace the invite. x_X
    Oya lemme get back to work, did i mention my job is an interesting one too? oh, now y’ll know, i get to go for site visits, have food tasting, wine etc.

• Ella

July 9, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Could you be my friend already! i actually relocated from Abj too…
      sometimes i just miss home tire…

45. O

July 11, 2013 at 3:11 am

Oh my, I had tears rolling down my eyes from laughing so hard. My first thought was, ‘this dude has issues”, my second thought was ‘me too’. You’ll blend just fine dude!

46. Abatee

July 25, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Ayanam!!! This is great… Will definitely try some of the things on the various lists from the comments… lets get back in about 3 months to see how much of the bucketlist we have done…

47. Olaniyi

August 6, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Hi, Please anyone with details where I can find a jet ski cruise? I need it ASAP, thanks people

48. Taiwo

August 19, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Hey, any one considered Polo Club? Lagos Polo club is an
    elitest environement and the atmosphere in the weekends in great.
    Its green and outdoor with lots of princes on horse backs

49. Shola Williams

October 8, 2014 at 6:35 am

have you tried fundamentals kids club drop in events on Saturday?
    funville-ng.com/

50. HAJ

October 10, 2014 at 6:26 pm

I will suggest The QDanceCenter, amazing dance center on the mainland, i take their ifit dance session that happens on tuesdays and Africana dance session on thursdays, their fridays is salsabut am not a fan of salsa. Its an amazing space you should try it.

They also have this youth creative club that does shows every end of each month, you can check them here: qdancecenter.com on herbert macaulay.

i know its just one space, but mehn is it good 🙂 hope it helps.

51. lola

January 23, 2015 at 3:43 pm

visit klub de lag for super fun time with amazing bowling, timefreak, blacklight minigolf, kids play station, wall climbing, ice skating and swimming pool. Jolly time await you.

52. Necky

October 10, 2015 at 9:33 am

Laughed so hard. Nice comments, I now have a list of places to visit after a very busy week. Relocated to Lagos recently so I do not really have friends, I would be glad to meet new people .

53. Find Your Lagos

March 6, 2016 at 11:27 am

There is so much to do in Lagos! Kayaking, Picnics, Film Screenings, Live Music, Art Exhibitions! The list goes on! Visit nothingtodoinlagos.com for a list of happenings and subscribe to the mailing list for weekly happenings. Have Fun!

• tina

March 23, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Love this post can I get involed too

• tina

March 23, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Contact me through my email [email protected] for group outings let’s get to meet new people and make new friends lagos is fun all depending on the type of friends u move with drop yours too if u are intrested or add on whatsapp 08117935069 can’t wait to try the boat trip

54. myview

July 14, 2017 at 2:59 am

Reading the comments and I’m always bored in Lagos? Not anymore! I’m going to checkout all of these places or as much as I can! You could check out my blog too. I write/ is writing about all the exciting places I’ve been to and lots of them from this list would be posted there too when I check them out.

55. Taiwo

November 24, 2017 at 9:19 am

Its surprising i am just seeing this, but i must say, the poster cracked me up real bad. Thanks for the list compiled for we boring people that always think that there is no place to visit or dosent want to go alone. To think i have lived all my life in lagos and i havnt been to all this places. Lately, i had to go and learn how to swim and now i need new adventures to ease Lagos tension. I will love to meet new friends who are bored as me and dont ve anyone to explore with. Before i forget, i ve missed going to owanbe. Naija owanbe can be a handful, you get to see al sorts of character …lol. Things i cant wait to try out…jet ski, bowling, kayaking, car racing, ice skating and some other ones that wont pop up now. You can call me on 08088958566 incase you interested in any of this too…ciao