News

“I Would Take Mediocrity & Unprofessionalism Out of Nollywood”! Joseph Benjamin Speaks to Tripican.com on his New Movie “Murder at Prime Suites”

Joseph Benjamin for Tripican.com - BellaNaija - August 2013 (1)Joseph Benjamin is without a doubt a household name in the Nigerian movie industry. After starting an acting career at a young age in the popular children’s program Tales By Moonlight, Joseph has since been moving from one screen to another, building his movie career.

After a getting the gig to host the music talent show that famed names like Chidinma and Iyanya, MTN Project Fame, alongside Adorah Oleh, Joseph was still thirsty for more Nollywood movie action. He has since gone on to star alongside top actresses like Funke Akindele, Nse Ikpe Etim, iretiola Doyle, Monalisa Chinda, Genevieve Nnaji and a host of others in top charting movies.

Now, Joseph has brought  to life a new character in his most recent movie “Murder at prime Suites“. In the crime movie he plays a detective who has a hunger for justice and would stop at nothing to get his crook.

Catching up with him for all the scoop on his role in this movie and what’s next for him, Tripican.com had a chat with the Nollywood heartthrob himself.Joseph Benjamin for Tripican.com - BellaNaija - August 2013 (3)

Where did you find inspiration for this character?
I watch a lot of detective series and I like the way they solve all their crime cases. I had to get into the mind of the character Agent Ted like he was a real life character and think like him.

How is your role as Agent Ted in this movie different from other roles you have played?
The role is a more assertive character. It is totally different from the lover and subtle characters I usually play. This was a bit more serious.

Did you identify with your Agent Ted on a personal level?
Well I think I did. To an extent, I can be a tactical person, I calculate a lot before taking or making decisions, which is something that is common with the mind of a detective.Tripican.com - BellaNaija - August2013008Tripican.com - BellaNaija - August2013007

What was your preparation process for this character?
I had to do a crash cop study. I had to draw inspiration from the pool of knowledge I had acquired watching detective series and I had to sound like them and behave like them.

What motivated you to portray your character the way you did?
I wanted to give a good interpretation of the role I wanted to show.

What was your favorite scene from the movie?
I think my favorite scene was the interrogation scene.

Aside from your own character, who was your favourite character in this movie?
I liked Hauwa’s character. She had a firm personality and she was quite assertive which was kinda sexy.Tripican.com - BellaNaija - August2013003 jpg

What was the most challenging aspect of this movie for you?
I had to shut out myself from my mind and the person the viewers are used to seeing me as to assume a different personality.

If you could change one thing about the Nollywood industry at the wave of a magic wand, what would it be?
I would take mediocrity and unprofessionalism off.

How do you cope with fame?
I try to live a normal life, be myself, and be true to who I am. But you cannot avoid being famous and a popular figure, and especially if people love what you do. It is a beautiful feeling and is priceless.

For the Tripican Ladies who are wondering if Joseph is single, what should I tell them?
I always ignore this question. I was married, but not anymore. I have two beautiful kids, so that puts me in the single status I guess. But I am not searching.Joseph Benjamin for Tripican.com - BellaNaija - August 2013 (2)

What would you like to say to your fans and movie lovers about “Murder at Prime Suites”?
They will enjoy the movie, because it is a change from the norm and it’s a good product and definitely a pacesetter.

Watch the Murder At Prime Suites Trailer here

To get tickets to the Murder At Prime Suites movie visit www.tripican.com.

1. George

August 29, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I hope new and professional guys will come into the movie industry and give it a facelift.

visit jobsearchng.org for daily career tips and job vacancies

2. kokoqueen

August 29, 2013 at 3:56 pm

and he Joseph thinks he is a brilliant Actor….I laugh in Isoko lol

• nene

August 30, 2013 at 7:55 am

as in…heathrob indeed. but i think he’ll improve on his
      acting as time goes by, hopefully.

3. SheriBerri

August 29, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Wrong trailer.

4. Concerned_Boyfriend

August 29, 2013 at 4:06 pm

“I would take medocrity & unprofessionalism out of nollywood”…How about you start with yourself first!… Oya go!!!

• ms lala

August 29, 2013 at 5:05 pm

GBAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. damsel

August 29, 2013 at 4:51 pm

He is a good actor.

6. e-bukun

August 29, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Talk about mediocrity, in that photo both of them have their guns angled very badly. I don’t know who their aiming at, but those shots could end up terribly wrong.

• B.I.T.C.H. babe in total control of herself

August 29, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Hahahaha…

• ILoveGenevieve

August 29, 2013 at 10:01 pm

+100

• e-bukun

August 29, 2013 at 11:38 pm

*they’re

7. Kachi

August 29, 2013 at 8:57 pm

You all are haters!!! Joseph is a very good actor…let’s see you act CRITICS!!! i’m sure u all are low lives at least he’s got something good doing, what have you done to help others?

• Naveah

August 30, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Abeg RELAX JO, haba! Na your brother? Wey you dey just dey burst blood vessel for your forehead like dis. People have a right to their opinions, nobody is out right insulting the bobo, they are actually more people saying he is a good actor than not so you have no right to call folks out of their name. Did you just learn the term “low lives” yesterday and decided to put it in practice? Abeg, park well jo! Is he Denzel? And let me tell you there are people who don’t even like Denzel’s acting and he has an Academy award to show for it and the same thing goes for Halle Berry whom most African Americans here don’t think can act and recent the fact that she got the highest honor in acting for being naked and helpless in Monster’s Ball. Na Joseph Benjamin people no go talk about? I saw dude in Kiss & Tell, quite frankly, he is a very WOODEN actor. He is too self aware on camera and all that forming is very annoying. Salma Hayek is a Mexican American actress and Sophia Vergara is Columbian, both are highly paid actresses in Hollywood, they speak with their accents but Mr. Benjamin in Nigeria acting for Nigerian audiences wannagonnagotta be America by force.

Abeg, leave people jare. I am glad he see that there is a need for improvement but he is also part of the issue and that is #FACT#.

8. shenugs

August 29, 2013 at 10:34 pm

How can you take out something you yourself embody?

9. melzy

August 30, 2013 at 8:41 am

@kachi, pls calm down . nobody is hating here,jst airing
    wah dey tink is the truth. Its not like he was insulted.

10. Kachi

August 30, 2013 at 10:40 am

@Melzy: I am sooo calm, people should learn to appreciate good things others do – instead of criticizing because if they are to be in that position, i’m pretty sure nothing good will come out of it… So appreciate Joseph, he is doing well in his own way!

11. Vanessa

August 30, 2013 at 11:22 am

did someone notice the plate(wrapper) number?

12. dma

August 30, 2013 at 12:15 pm

someone has finally noticed that there is a lot of trash in the name of movies coming out of nollywood.

13. Helen Solange Inengite

August 30, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Nigerians!!! Una sabi diss person oooo. He is a very good actor and that’s why he is highly recommended at what he does.

14. Kachi

August 30, 2013 at 1:14 pm

@Helen Solange: You seem to be a very sensible Bellanaija reader…All dey know how to do is criticize, put them in that position, dey go dumb *smh*

15. Naveah

August 30, 2013 at 3:36 pm

*resent*

16. Eve82

September 1, 2013 at 12:32 am

Did he suffer from a previous stroke? Why are his lips always crooked? Or is it deliberate? Not working for me. As an actor, he is average.

17. Ireene

September 3, 2013 at 10:25 pm

[email protected] lips….been wondering myself….Lwkmd!

18. nijadiva

September 19, 2013 at 2:16 am

Nijaswagga at its best.

19. adeolu

October 28, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Nice actor and nice movies..

20. ty

October 30, 2013 at 3:09 pm

im already bored with d advertisement not to talk of the movie