Events

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie sizzles in Red at the BFI London Film Festival Premiere of “Half of a Yellow Sun”

BellaNaija.com

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie at theLondon Premiere of Half of a Yellow Sun  - October 2013 - BellaNaija Exclusive001

Who doesn’t like a lady in red?!

On Saturday 19th October 2013, the adaptation of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie‘s best selling novel Half of a Yellow Sun premiered at the 57th BFI London Film Festival at Odeon West End, London, UK.

For the premiere, the Nigerian author sizzled in a red dress. She styled the dress which features an edgy cut-out on the skirt, gold drop earrings and gold sandals.

She completed the look with red lipstick as well as a rich Nigerian hairstyle famous in the 60s and 70s.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie at theLondon Premiere of Half of a Yellow Sun  - October 2013 - BellaNaija Exclusive002

Recently, there has been international attention on the threaded hairstyle. It’s no wonder Chimamanda chose this look.

Nigerian  Hairstyle - October 2013 - BellaNaija

Also spotted at the premiere were Chiwetel Ejiofor, Don Jazzy, OC Ukeje, Nimi Akinkugbe and Arunma Oteh.

First Photo from Half of a Yellow Sun Premiere

If you missed the feature on the Toronto International Film Festival Premiere of Half of a Yellow Sun, click HERE

Photo Credit: Amatesiro DoreZimbio | J.D. Ojeikere on Fine One Fine Art Photography via Daily Mail UK | Instagram

1. Akunna

October 21, 2013 at 12:41 pm

like ds lady. d hair style is cool.

2. 'Mide

October 21, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Igbo take over! Naija pipul beware. I dey yoke flenti flenti ni o! Love her traditional hairstyle. This base knows how to sell herself as an authentic Igbo chick. Na persin wey get money wey fit experiment like dat now.

• Dapo

October 21, 2013 at 10:11 pm

You dont see na Yoruba hairstyle, well, you said it all, **Igbo take over**, well A tribe has been on the throne since Nigeria existence abi? Lol…

• cleo briggs

October 22, 2013 at 3:23 am

Well see in this argument i’d like to declare you the loser because of your grammar issues…. *clears throat*…. fix it sir/ma’m….. Thank me later…..
      Aha… where were we? Igbo take over…!!!!

3. http://africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk/

October 21, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Sorry but I don’t particularly think this look and dress go hand in hand. It would have been awesome had she worn something a little more traditional.

africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk/

4. nomad

October 21, 2013 at 1:05 pm

The dress is snooze-worthy. I think she has a wonderful body but she always looks much older in her style choices. Instead of a boring bodycon shift, why can’t she try say a flowing print jumpsuit, or something above the knee or younger looking rather than looking like Mgbeke at Goldman Sachs. I LOVE the hair though.

5. Nike

October 21, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Yay! See my oga madam Ms. Arunma Oteh looking
    good.

6. Modella

October 21, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Awesome!

7. Ebun

October 21, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Her hair tho; isn’t it sorta inappropriate for red carpet?

itsebunite.wordpress.com

• Mz Socially Awkward...

October 21, 2013 at 1:36 pm

When you say “inappropriate”, I’m curious as to what you mean…

• The Real Madam the Madam

October 21, 2013 at 1:53 pm

What would you prefer? A 40 inch Brazilian?

• Person

October 21, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Explain ‘inappropriate’ to me.

• Bling

October 21, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Free you mind…Don’t be a slave!

• Ade

October 21, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Pray tell, what would have been “appropriate” for a red
      carpet event? *Seriously rolling my eyes*

• Okechukwu Ofili

October 21, 2013 at 5:46 pm

inappropriate? Abeg joor…is it lace wig that is
      appropriate? Abeg natural hair rocks, thanks to her for bringing it
      to the lime light. She looked awesome.

8. Mz Socially Awkward...

October 21, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Yes, the Didis are taking over!! *calculating how to make this hairstyle adaptable to my everyday work look… maybe flattened down Didi?*

• Person

October 21, 2013 at 2:42 pm

MSA, do you mean ‘Kiko’? Didi is plaits o! Try the one with
      the knobs. You thread your hair half an inch, twist it into a knob
      and continue till you finish. Hope that makes sense.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

October 21, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Person, thanks for the clarification! I mean the “tie-tie” style of thread she has on & have been calling it the wrong name all of this while. Want mine flattened down, so I can wear it to work… Plus the hair will kukuma grow.

9. The Real Madam the Madam

October 21, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Love it! She is absolutely killing it with that hella
    unconventional hairstyle.

10. Ibukun

October 21, 2013 at 2:05 pm

love eeeit!

11. Eve82

October 21, 2013 at 2:41 pm

That hair is not working for me, not especially on that gown…no offense to TeamNatural! Maybe if she had worn adire or something…

• Okechukwu Ofili

October 21, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Why do you have to dress traditional to rock natural hair.
      The thing was nice jare.

• iCrossMyHeart

October 21, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Please make una ask am…..traditional is a dated word dear. Wearing bodycon dress for some is TRADITIONAL….but for others is modern. Same with wearing ethnic pieces. Natural hair should work in any and every outfit, including one without clothes.

12. ijescorner

October 21, 2013 at 3:26 pm

How I hope to write a run-away success novel, which is then adapted into a movie 🙂

ijescorner.tumblr.com/

13. mee

October 21, 2013 at 3:36 pm

IT IS WELL WITH THAT HAIR STYLE

• iCrossMyHeart

October 21, 2013 at 7:23 pm

It is VERY WELL…..I have been rocking this similar hairstyle and I ONLY GET SIDE EYES FROM BLACK PEOPLE…GO FIGURE. Only race in this world that HATES THEIR OWN….Oyinbo no fit frown for blonde hair styled majestically…but blacks…oh no!!!

14. nene

October 21, 2013 at 4:49 pm

i don’t like the hairstyle.

• Brown sugar

October 21, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Seconded. I don’t like it at all.

15. Mousepad

October 21, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Biko were nu several seats! o gini with that hair?

16. A.A

October 21, 2013 at 5:16 pm

i love her. She is the realest

17. Call me Moi

October 21, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Love love the sleek dress

18. gotta have it

October 21, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Nice red dress! cute

19. Abi

October 21, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I sense a bit of hypocrisy, the hairstyle is authentic but the dress and shoes are oyinbo. So where exactly does she stand? She reminds me of the American; India Arie!

Love the shoes though 🙂

• Okechukwu Ofili

October 21, 2013 at 8:50 pm

What hypocrisy? So she is not allowed to wear jeans or dress again because she wants to rock natural hair. Biko hapu ife.

20. Dee-USA

October 21, 2013 at 8:10 pm

’60s and ’70s ke? I am an early ’80s child and I grew up doing hairstyles like that (who remembers the periwinkle?). My mom made sure my sisters and I repped her Igbo heritage very well growing up in Lagos.

I don’t see what’s wrong with the hair. It’s different. But we see celebrities rock all kinds of styles on red carpets and no one seems to mind. When Cassie went with the buzz shave people criticized it. It wasn’t long after she became a trendsetter when everyone from Jada Pinkett Smith to Rihanna, Chante Moore to Laurie Ann Gibson, started spotting the look.

My 2 cents. I can see styles like the periwinkle, which a few Hollywood stars have spotted, and this (which I can see on Lady Gaga and on fashion runways) drawing spotlight to this eastern cultural staple.

• Dapo

October 22, 2013 at 8:43 am

Hello, the hairstyle is Yoruba and maybe because you grew up in Lagos… Its Yoruba

• yoyo

October 23, 2013 at 12:36 am

Calm down. whats proof its yoruba? igbo people too wear this hair style and so do other tribes. Na wa o..everything in Nigeria is yoruba. You lot like claiming though! even if its yoruba, an Igbo woman has made it popular on a red carpet even in London..go figure.

please no tribal comments here! if you want to be a yoruba defender then go and comment on FFK’s facebook status or join one of those unions in lagos.

21. Mabel

October 21, 2013 at 9:20 pm

This is hair art, and not for the faint of heart. I wonder if you could style your hair like this and then put gems in it, to craft a hair crown of sorts.

22. Dapo

October 21, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Igbo people will never seize to amaze me, they say Igbos this and that, yet they cant appear abroad with your Yoruba touch on them..lol, they either wear gele or Yoruba clothing style, Yoruba hair, the famous igbos only diss Yoruba to become famous, e.g Achebe, Ojuku, Nnamdi and this lady.. Lol… Igbos are just refreshing my race throne…lol

• Kelz

October 22, 2013 at 3:12 am

Who’s this goat being hateful and ignorant around bella? you are Nigerian; deal with it!! Ibo people will tie gele and wear buba very well, so will yoruba people wear Ibo looks as is the trend now infact… smell back into your hole..ewu!

• Dapo

October 22, 2013 at 8:42 am

Yoruba wear Igbo dress? No way, does Igbo have a dressing style? i doubt it… Big shoes like P-square and oh i remember they love wearing winter jacket and winters shoes… Flavour too…lol

• yoyo

October 23, 2013 at 12:43 am

‘ does Igbo have a dressing style’ – i dont even know where to start from. The terrible grammar or the ignorance. i dont blame you, i blame the owner of that internet cafe you are using… and please spell his name right..its OJUKWU!

23. Silvia

October 21, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Okechukwu ofili pls I want to live long, dont kill me with laugh o.

24. Tosin

October 21, 2013 at 10:43 pm

eee o, i like the sizzle. i want to see the shoes 😉

25. sara

October 21, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Chiwetel looks so uncomfortable in that pictures.

26. madman

October 21, 2013 at 11:51 pm

I find her very hypocritical…. **yawns**

27. NNENNE

October 22, 2013 at 1:19 am

Chimamanda’s hair style is refreshingly different. Wearing
    the hair with that dress points to the fact that she is traditional
    and yet modern. Lovely!

28. NNENNE

October 22, 2013 at 1:22 am

@ Dapo…How can she diss Yoruba people when her brother’s
    wife is Yoruba? Yoruba blood is pretty much in her family.

• Dapo

October 22, 2013 at 2:40 am

maybe you need to find out more about her

29. pleasedotell

October 22, 2013 at 5:51 am

Nice!!! Love how it fits her. Threads looked nice on me when I was a little girl. If I tried that at my age now, I will seriously represent my village. In fact, my house clothes and natural twists right now have taken me 95% home. Any more and yankee folks will carry me to the nearest cultural museum (that is if they have not killed me with questions about the origin of the hairstyle).

30. afrofeminism

October 22, 2013 at 9:28 am

That hairstyle doesn’t work for a formal occasion like this. But it goes much better with a wrap loosely tied around her breasts. I’m sorry, but am I the only person who is sick and tired of people getting away with ANYTHING, no matter how unstylish, simply because it is African? I am not a hater of the African renaissance happening in fashion, but I just want us to be able to tell what works and what doesn’t, not allowing people to walk around at a high-profile event looking like they should have a wrap loosely-tied around their breasts on their way to the waterhole! Fact if, this hairstyle will work better if she’s dressed down. Love the dress! And love her! (Although, was I the only one expecting to see her in print?) She rocked the red, though! Much love.

• Serendipity

October 24, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Afrofeminism my arse! U sound as ignorant as some of the dunces commenting on the hair. Why do we box ourselves in so much?? This is er natural state of hair styled in an authentic african fashion and u are here yarning dust! We shouldnt have to be subjcted to going all african… Its a free world and we can mix it up n e way we choose to. As outspoken as u lots choose to be, u couldve at least looked into who the producers ofthese “african” clothes are. Dutch, swiss, china??? If u wanna go authentically “all african” because u are rocking an african hair, go naked or leaves! What do u think ur great grand parents were wearing??

31. frances

October 22, 2013 at 12:12 pm

She doesn’t have to wear a dress above the kness or wear a
    jumpsuit all cuz she wants to fit in with the so-called world
    standard of fashion.I really applaud her.she’s a lady with her own
    fashion sense and she looks pretty elegant by doing that.she looks
    ama-mazing. I love the hair,dat style isn’t for the faint
    hearted,and she rocked it!

32. GirlOnTop :D

October 22, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Looool, I like the hair but I don’t think the whole combination with the dress works. She’s representing though!

33. komma

October 23, 2013 at 3:46 am

Ndi Igbo keep prospering while the haters keep ranting! who said the hair style belong to yoruba? fuck that D ewu gambia

34. MoD

October 23, 2013 at 8:08 pm

More pictures??

35. Angel

October 24, 2013 at 3:24 pm

THAT HAIR STYLE STOOD HER OUT FROM THE CROWD, WAOOOO THANKS BABES FOR BRINGING THE HAIR BACK, I CANT WAIT TO SEE MORE OF IT ON NAIJA RED CARPET. TIME TO SEND THE FAKE HAIRS BACK TO THEIR LANDS, BRINGING OUT SHUKU, KPAFINGA, ISAM, BRUSH HAIR ,DIDI, OUT THAT WILL MAKE U LUK CHICKY AND HOT IN A NICE MINI OR MIDI GOWN…. LETS GOOO DIA

• onyi

October 24, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Angel…you made me laugh ooo. You r so ON POINT!

36. Omo hibo

October 24, 2013 at 4:41 pm

But she wear Jimmy Choo join am now

37. chidinma obinnakwelu

December 15, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Have been wanting to do this hair, but because am in america, my friends were like people will laugh me. If she can rock it so can i abeg jare this the thing that helped my hair grow in secondary school days, before my mom now messed up my hair with relaxer.