News

Your TV is About to get More Spicy & Emotional! African Version of Hit American TV Series Desperate Housewives to debut on Ebony Life TV in 2014

BellaNaija.com

Africa's Desperate Housewives  - October 2013 - BellaNaija Exclusive001

Whoop, Whoop! It’s going to be juicy.

BellaNaija Movies & TV can confirm that Mo Abudu‘s Ebony Life TV will debut the African version of the hit American TV series Desperate Housewives in 2014.

Ebony Life TV recently signed a co-production deal for the African version of the series.

Africa's Desperate Housewives  - October 2013 - BellaNaija Exclusive002

If you are a fan of the show, then you know what it is all about but if you are new, we’ll help you catch up. The series follows the lives of a group of women as seen through the eyes of a dead neighbour (Mary Alice played by Brenda Strong) who committed suicide in the very first episode.

The storyline covers 13 years of the women’s lives over eight season, as they worked through domestic struggles and family life, while facing the secrets, crimes and mysteries hidden behind the doors of their – at the surface – beautiful and seemingly perfect neighbourhood.

The abc series was created by Marc Cherry and stars Teri Hatcher, Felicity Huffman, Marcia Cross, Eva Longoria and Vanessa Williams.

The co-production deal with EbonyLife TV will feature an African cast, set in Lagos, Nigeria, where it will also be shot,  airing in 44 countries within the African continent.

Catherine Powell (SVP & GM, Media Distribution, The Walt Disney Company),  Giovanni Mastrangelo (General Manager, Disney Media Distribution, Emerging Markets), Mo Abudu (Chairman & CEO, EbonyLife TV)

Catherine Powell (SVP & GM, Media Distribution, The Walt Disney Company), Giovanni Mastrangelo (General Manager, Disney Media Distribution, Emerging Markets), Mo Abudu (Chairman & CEO, EbonyLife TV)

CEO of Ebony Life TV, Mo Abudu says “We are going to make it relevant, number one, by using local talent — talent that our viewers will know and love; two, we are going to work with local stylists, local fashion designers, local interior designers. We are going to give the stories an African flavour. We will localize it, because there’s nothing the West has that Africa doesn’t have. We love, we fight, we kiss and we make up. We like all the good things in life. There’s good and there’s evil globally. So all those human interests, those things that appeal to you, believe me, appeal to us also.”

The series has had four South American versions: one for Argentina, one for Colombia and one for Brazil as well as a remake in Turkey.

The Nigerian series will feature an African cast of new emerging and established talents and will be filmed at Adiva Estates, a gated development along the Lekki Expressway, developed by ARM. This location has been identified as Africa’s own “Wisteria Lane”.

Africa's Desperate Housewives  - October 2013 - BellaNaija Exclusive004

Production will closely follow the format and storylines of the original US version, with a uniquely Nigerian flavour. And to ensure the series retains its international appeal but with an African soul, EbonyLife TV will be working with DO.ii designs and Agatha Interiors on furniture design for the Desperate Housewives Africa sets

On dressing of talent, EbonyLife TV will be partnering with stylist Veronica Ebie-Odeka of Vane-Style and major Nigerian designers to include Bridget Awosika, Ella & Gabby, Jewel By Lisa, Kareema Mak, Lanre DaSilva- Ajayi, Meena, Me-Li, Needle Point, Odio Mimonet, Phunkafrique, Toju Foyeh and many more.

Vanessa Williams, Brenda Strong, Marcia Cross, Eva Longoria & Felicity Huffman

Vanessa Williams, Brenda Strong, Marcia Cross, Eva Longoria & Felicity Huffman

Now the question we all want to know, who will play the famous characters?

1. Shu

October 21, 2013 at 10:25 am

After being a loyal DH fan and watching the slow decline of a great show to a telle novella. I shall pass. Such a humongous project, with tons of money involved and the best they could come up with is a copy? With all the talent that is going to be involved, stylists, interior designers, producers, actors and actresses, the whole shebang. They couldn’t come up with something new that the whole world will watch and even the West can copy and create their own version. Many Hollywood shows are watched all over the world, who is to say Africa cannot create something that will be watched all over. Generations a good example. Dowton Abbey another good example, though British. Must it always be the other way around? When will Africans get it?

2. nene

October 21, 2013 at 10:27 am

i don’t care who plays what characters. we need GOOD actors and screenplay writers in this series, so Mo Abudu should do auditions and screen tests. I think Bimbo Akintola as Felicity Huffman’s character, Femi Branch as the plumber guy, Kate Henshaw/Genevieve Nnaji as Bree. I would like to know who’ll play Edie and Gabby’s characters, this should be fun.

• nene

October 21, 2013 at 10:34 am

mistake…Yvonne Okoro as Bree! Perfect! i hope the cast and production excites me!

• Mariaah

October 21, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I AGREE with you on Yvonne Okoro!! She has that home-maker vibe.

• Iris

October 21, 2013 at 1:57 pm

But this is a Nollywood production…unless they are adding
      Ghanaian actors. I don’t get this though. So the premise is the
      same? Dead narrating friend and women who keep secrets?If it is
      then it just becomes the “attempted Nigerian version of desperate
      housewives” I hope it works out well sha

3. Susan

October 21, 2013 at 10:29 am

This will be so Nice….Thank you EL

4. elleven45

October 21, 2013 at 10:44 am

They already know those to play the famous characters, like it or not but that’s the truth.
    I was at ebony life audition and trust me I saw better talents than what they are using now, but funny enough they have selected whom they want and the auditions was just formalities.

• nene

October 21, 2013 at 12:56 pm

believe you. i heard the same thing. people just waste their time auditioning. smh

• I was picekd from an Audition

November 18, 2013 at 4:51 pm

The contrary is quite the case. I went for the general
      Auditions too and wasn’t initially picked then. Subsequently I
      auditioned reality-show style for another show and was picked as a
      presenter for a separate show despite not winning the reality show
      I auditioned fore. While Pre-selection is necessary sometimes
      especially in acting where the director has clear idea of the actor
      who would best interpret a role, I can say for certain that most of
      ELTV’s Presenters if not all were were not pre-selected. Therefore
      I encourage any aspiring talent to respond to ELTV auditions with
      confidence

5. DEe

October 21, 2013 at 10:51 am

i thought this has already been attempted in Nigeria….real housewives of Lekki or something like that….

6. tito

October 21, 2013 at 10:54 am

Cant wait!I watched DH to the very last episode, and no series has come near it in my ranking. Would be interesting to see sometihng like it again played through African actors. Fantastic. Wont mind getting a role too sha o. Yessir!

7. Efe Tommy

October 21, 2013 at 10:56 am

Cant wait… Excited for Veronica as d stylist… Some haute fashion are def gonna be served.

8. www.dprodigaldaughter.com

October 21, 2013 at 10:58 am

I agree that Africa needs to strive to create something new for the world to see but seeing as DH has become a franchise, I don’t particularly have a problem with it.
    BUT for such a project as this, we do not need Genevieve or Kate or Omotola. Don’t get me wrong, I love these ladies but apart from the fact that we’ve seen too much of them already, it will detract from the uniqueness of the site. I agree, we need mildly new but fantastic actors.

9. Adaeze Ibechukwu

October 21, 2013 at 11:05 am

I’ll love to play Gaby!!! Can’t wait

10. sucre

October 21, 2013 at 12:06 pm

BN vanessa williams wasn’t an original cast member of DHW she was introduced mid way in to d show. D fifth DHW was nicolette sheridan b4 her character was killed off d shw. She even sued dem 4 wrongful termination.

11. Mrs Chidukane

October 21, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Well,I’ll be watching *big grin

12. mee

October 21, 2013 at 3:42 pm

COPY COPY WILL NOT KILL NIGERIANS OH.. WHY ARE WE DOING VERSIONS .. COME UP WITH YOUR OWN CREATIVE IDEAS..OR IF NOT… HMMM IT IS WELL OO

13. Modella

October 22, 2013 at 11:11 am

No one can play Eva Longaria character,no one can come
    close…It still remain my favourite series of all time!

14. me

October 22, 2013 at 7:36 pm

no genny no desperate housewives.perioddd.