Music

“It was Complicated…” – Nigerian Rap Star Ice Prince speaks on Initially Denying His Son Jamal

BellaNaija.com

Ice Prince Zamani Jamal 2

Ice Prince is sharing the reason why he initially didn’t accept his son Jamal.

In 2012, it was wildly reported that the Nigerian rap star had a child with a 20 year old undergraduate Bimbo. Not “sure of certain things”, he didn’t accept Jamal was his.

Ice Prince who recently had a sold out Fire of Zamani Album Launch Concert, speaks to ShowBizPlus on music, his skyrocketing career and his reasons.

Read Excerpts from the Interview;
On denying having a baby: It was complicated back then, I didn’t really know what was happening and I wasn’t sure of certain things. So the best I had to do then was denying it and sort out things first. Now I know he is my child and I have done everything as a father ever since.

On how much time he spends with the child: I have been one of the busiest Nigerian artistes for two years now. I don’t get to spend much time with him like I would want to but I try. I try to make sure I spend time with him when I’m free but unfortunately I don’t have much free time.

On his relationship with his child’s mother: I speak with her often and it is usually about the baby. That is all for now.

On marriage: No, I’m fully focused on my music.

1. Olanma

November 29, 2013 at 3:45 pm

It’s so funny how Men sleep with girls with their eyes
    open, but when it turns into pregnancy, they’re not sure it’s
    theirs. It really doesn’t just happen in movies. Not judging, but
    denying ones’s child is dreadful.

2. memebaby

November 29, 2013 at 3:48 pm

close ya legs ladiessss.. close eet! too busy for your kid
    but you were not busy when bursting without protection..or did she
    poke the condom, it broke ? my friend better find ALL THE TIME to
    take care of your child and be there for him!!! talking like the
    baby is a pet smh..

• Blessmyheart

November 29, 2013 at 11:17 pm

seriously! ladies need to close their legs and guys need to
      zip up! it’s getting too much. baby daddies and baby mamas
      everywhere. come on people, be responsible

3. Aibee

November 29, 2013 at 3:57 pm

In my opinion, if you aren’t sure that the child is yours, just say “no comments”. You don’t have an obligation to answer every question the press throws at you. Plead the 5th, decline to answer the question, evade the subject or something but NEVER EVER deny the paternity of a child until you are 100% sure the child isn’t yours. Did you or did you not have sex, protected or not, with the mother? You did. Then there is at least a chance that the child is yours. Condoms have been known to break, burst, leak or whatever. So, until you have done a DNA test or have been confirmed to be medically sterile, please do not deny a child from a woman you had sex with.
    I’m so irritated with people like this Ice Prince and 9ice and co. Really disgusted.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

November 29, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Hahahahaha! Your tirade just reminded me of a galpal I have who now declares “me and condoms can never be friends”. And this is because the two times she’s gotten pregnant, the condom broke. That was the intial family-planning utensil preferred by her and hubs when they got hitched but now, ole gal’s jejely gone and asked for implants. Imagine if her hubby had huffed&puffed about the kids not being his because he’d “used protection”… Na serious wounding he dey find, na (at the hands of her, her family, those of us within the homegals committee, etc.)

All these youngsters tryna act like grown folk by getting their sexy on and then turning around to whine like puppies when somebody gets pregnant. Man the eff up or keep it securely zipped, abeg…

• TA

November 29, 2013 at 5:33 pm

God Bless you for helping me type my thoughts.
      @ BN,we need that ‘like’button o,pls

4. efe

November 29, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Message to the ladies, CLOSE your LEGS

5. nene

November 29, 2013 at 4:11 pm

mschew!

6. banimo

November 29, 2013 at 4:12 pm

He just seriously shaded that girl.

• Fashionista

December 2, 2013 at 9:46 am

Exactly, stupid boy!

7. Afua

November 29, 2013 at 4:14 pm

He seems very annoying. Guess he is still sleeping. Until he wakes up he will never talk sense. No need to even pray he wakes up one day.

8. ifeoma nwawe

November 29, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I dont have free time.. really? is that ur story? He is your child spending time with him is not a favourite pastime or a hobby, its your responsibility. I f you wont take responsibility stop having SEX!!!!!! Why will you even have sex without protection, in 2013?
    ifeomanwawe.blogspot.com

• Hello kitty

November 29, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Please just don’t mind the idiot. first exalting himself with that ridiculous statement about him being one of the busiest artist in Naija then saying he doesn’t have free time to spend with his son! Can he possibly be half as busy as puff daddy??? and yet that man spends copious amount of time with his 6 kids. this one is here with one baby and he’s too busy. mcheeeew. now using the poor boy as a marketing tool. nonsense. ive always thought this guy is shallow, and apparently its not just in his lyrics.

9. Audrey

November 29, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Just look at how He just disgraced the boy’s mother….. ‘I wasn’t sure of certain things’ smh!
    when you had the opportunity to sleep with her you were sure of everything,when she got pregnant you weren’t sure of certain things. You are even lucky to have the boy in your arms,if it were me,as soon as you deny the child publicly,we’re done! you must sweat proper proper before you even get to see your son again after admitting your folly. mtseew!

• Person

November 29, 2013 at 4:49 pm

EXACTLY!!! That’s a read right there. I wasn’t sure of certian things bi ti bawo? When you were doing, you were certain. If na me, you go hear wen before you see the child’s breaklight! Foolish man.

10. Obiz

November 29, 2013 at 4:57 pm

@Audrey you said it all…

11. Fancy Babe

November 29, 2013 at 5:03 pm

So sad. Honestly I prefer the term “making love” you actually do care about the person and if she conceives, it is in love… not some random “making sex” like our batta box friends term it. Even if you eventually love this child etc etc etc, there’s still that bitter history. It is a terrible thing. You can’t just deny a human being that did not ask to be here meanwhile you are a ‘superstar’ running around building an empire for yourself, claiming to be too busy to care for your responsibility. What an abomination!
    Well, at least thank God that in this day and age DNA tests are available because this fool could easily leave that girl high and dry to care for this child alone and continue to parade the earth sowing his disgusting seed everywhere. Meanwhile he had that interview having the guts to talk about having a personal relationship with God. Na so una dey relate?
    I am fed up of behaving in this EVIL way, and also women denying them the opportunity to be in their child’s life for no just cause. But the men take the cake on this one. Please right this wrong and take care of Jamal and stop fooling yourself with being too busy.

12. Rynyx

November 29, 2013 at 5:08 pm

i dunno why i interpret the tears on the boy’s face as the pain he might feel when he grows up to read or hear that you denied him cos you were not sure of certain things. nobody forced you to answer so you had the option of shutting your mouth until you were sure of certain things. I am a mum and I can imagine what the mother would have felt, with the disgrace in public and all. May God forgive all of you. mtcheeeeeeew. honestly, u shouldn’t even try explaining, just keep quiet and let it slide, explanation is so stupid.

13. Hurperyeahmie

November 29, 2013 at 5:14 pm

hmmmmmmmmmmmm na wa o

14. Binta

November 29, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I don’t blame him for denying the child at first, I mean considering the fact that the girl cheated on another guy with him. Some women are too treacherous and can lie abt a child’s paternity just to hold on to the guy. I have seen it, so it’s better to be careful than unknowingly rAise someone’s child.good job ice prince for facing your responsibility at the end. These New baby mama syndrome growing in naija needs to stop.women respect yourselves

• Sandra

November 29, 2013 at 5:46 pm

If he was unsure about the case then he should have freaking gotten a paternity test first. If you sleep with someone protected or not protected then there is probably/chance that the person could be the father. He had all the time for humping and rumping but he didn’t have the time to do a paternity test before opening his garbage mouth to publicly deny his child.

• chichi

November 29, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I blame him for denying his child at first. I mean why would you sleep with another man’s girl??..Some men are too treacherous and can lie about a child’s paternity because they are simply irresponsible. I have seen it, so it is better to be careful by zipping your freaking pants up until you are responsible enough. Then you find a girl, MARRY her and sleep with her all you want so that y’all wont be filling our ears with all sorts of claptrap. This new baby daddy syndrome growing in naija needs to stop. Men, respect yourselves!!!!

• Person

November 29, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Your head is correct!

• randommer

November 29, 2013 at 9:37 pm

hahaha can I get an AMEN! you banged another man’s babe
      with sloppy protection. Both of you are ridiculous, hisss. You
      don’t know how to say ‘no comment’ until paternity test comes back?
      People are so trifling these days!

• GodDey

January 4, 2014 at 12:26 am

Lmaooooooooooo I don die! Good rebuttal tho.

• Iris

November 29, 2013 at 5:55 pm

And the men should not respect themselves and shove it into anything in a skirt just because she is willing? If this woman wants to be wicked she can just print and keep all the rubbish he is saying to show to her child when he gets older. Nonsense.

15. Bukky

November 29, 2013 at 5:36 pm

THESE IRRESPONSIBLE PARENTS PICTURES SHOULD BE PUT UP ON BLOGS AND NOT THE INNOCENT CHILD. THE LOOSE FATHER AND SHAMELESS GIRLS WHO NOW BECOME BABAY MAMAS.

16. Idak

November 29, 2013 at 5:37 pm

You did not really know what was happening but o guess you were not as confused when you were ejaculation inside the gullible groupie? All these boys had better fear God and stay celibate else use condoms. If not for the fear of. Confusing pregnancies, at least for STDs that have no respect for bank balance.

• Idak

November 29, 2013 at 10:29 pm

*but I guess you were not as confused *when you were
      ejaculating

17. Kiki

November 29, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Out come of unprotected sex is pregnancy and children. So men get that into ur head and when a woman tells u i’m pregnant, step up ur game like u did when u were reaching orgasm….

18. Wow

November 29, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Urgh!!! This just annoys me (irresponsible fathers). Spending time with your child is not “free time”; it should be part of your responsibility. Just like you make time for your music, job or whatever else you do, you make time for your child JEEZ!!!

19. duke

November 29, 2013 at 6:33 pm

“I was naïve,i was scared,I got confused & stupidly denied it cos I thought it was d right thing 2 do @d time. I guess I was scared of caring 4 a child & wasn’t ready”. This should have been ur damn response,it would take d stigma away 4rm Jamal’s mother,it would restore d pride of d woman who laid on her back,bent over 4 u or however cos she tot u loved her. Allowed u sleep wit her without protection & carried d result of dat act of ‘TRUST’ 4 9months & u brought shame on her. Restore dis woman’s pride & give her her dignity back wit a ‘PUBLIC APPOLOGY’. This ur stupid response only goes further 2 rubbish d lady. Less I 4get u better create enough time 4 d boy.

• Idak

November 29, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Are you actually sure the girl deserves restoration of dignity. I join in condemning Zamani but refuse to confer victimhood on the girl. Does not sound like a relationship was in place when they were rumbling. Some of these girls are shameless and deserve no pity.

20. Product of public Education

November 29, 2013 at 6:50 pm

As my knowledgable friend said you had sex without protection……so what were you expecting a plasma or range rover sport. Abegi madam pass me 2shots of Jedi n opa eyin Joor na today!

21. JWEZEE

November 29, 2013 at 8:24 pm

ICE RINCE just showed the level of his IQ, very very low… his whole reply from beginning till end just shows how stupid he is, he just lost a fan… cud av just said NO COMMENT.. daft boy.

22. JWEZEE

November 29, 2013 at 9:00 pm

*P

23. nnennia ifepe

November 29, 2013 at 10:04 pm

i am not supporting him but we girls should be
    careful

24. tobi

November 29, 2013 at 11:08 pm

One word, ‘irresponsible’….

25. Omolomo

November 29, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Hello kitty you are the idiot……some daddies who even do
    9-5 are so busy and cos of where they work come home late and don’t
    even have time for their kids talk more of an artist who is here
    and there….a lot of you lot here commenting are equally quilts of
    same rubbish but we don’t know cos u are nobodies……I don’t
    blame him, girls learn to close your legs cos u are all so bloody
    easy these days…..most guys are irresponsible and don’t want to
    be tied down with family responsibility specially when their
    careers are just beginning to soar….think of yourself respect
    first……sex ain’t love so if there is no condom no matter how
    much he begs close ya legs……if you open up and yawa gas and
    they deny you you have ur self to blame…..men ain’t worth the
    drama so ladies have your thinking caps on

• Mz Socially Awkward...

November 30, 2013 at 1:45 am

Did you just imply that because some daddies hold down a 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. job, ergo they are permitted to dodge their duties as fathers because they “are so busy and cos of where they work… [etc. etc.]”? So, who’s supposed to raise the children they sperminated? Daddy’s driver? The help? His neighbours??

What a weak/tired/sorry defence of bad parenting you’ve presented there, my good friend These dads in your illustration don’t even have the immense responsibility of running entire business conglomerates & we’re supposed to understand why they can’t structure their working lives so that they have time for their own children?

As for your “u only have ur self to blame” argument, I’m not very surprised as you probably belong to the same camp of misogynists who often forgive rapists and blame the woman for the assault she suffered. These men are, after all, helpless and frail creatures with unquenchable cravings that we must always indulge…

• Idak

November 30, 2013 at 7:16 am

Both parties shoulder equal responsibility in cases like these. The guy for being short sighted and letting passion rule over reason to the point of reproducing, the girl for being gullible and a groupie who thinks that collecting maintenance allowance from a celebrity is the hallmark of womanhood. He is claiming to be too busy to spend time with his son but not too busy to be seen in clubs or on lousy red carpets. The less these clowns say, the better.

26. whocares

November 30, 2013 at 12:04 am

Kmft. Is this the new trend? He wasn’t sure of some things,
    and now he is too busy to pay proper attention to the kid. My nigga
    i pray you don’t learn the hard way how to carve time for the most
    important people in your life the bit that annoyed me most is the
    cavalier attitude towards the mother. I am irritated.
    Shior.

27. NNENNE

November 30, 2013 at 12:37 am

Women please take care of you. Pregnancy does not guarantee
    you a husband. Say no to sex or protect yourself. We suffer the
    consequences more than men. Every child deserves a stable home,
    with a father all the time and not merely a visiting
    father.

28. her

November 30, 2013 at 2:28 am

such an absolute coward

29. temmy

November 30, 2013 at 6:52 am

Na wa ooo,am ashamed for most desperate females..pls heed to bible counsel..abstain till u r set for wedding..1cor6:9-11

30. mama babyjake

November 30, 2013 at 7:31 am

Shame, shame on you Ice Prince! Shame!

31. rootwoo.com

November 30, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Why do some naija ladies go gaga over a so called celebrity, d trend nw is that sme naija ladies just want to have a baby for a celebrity. Imagine she having sex with a celebrity wen she has a bf. God help us

32. rootwoo.com

November 30, 2013 at 12:11 pm

And we don’t expect him to accept the child in the first place wen he thought it was jst a fling.

33. Jane

November 30, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Poor Child! Ice-price is rili irresponsible. Buh he stated d truth. He aint ready 4 a child. His music is his child ryt now nd he aint ready 2 mk dt sacrifice. He thinks its fancy toys nd clothes the child needs. I just feel 4 d poor child, I hp his mum is sensible nd gvs hm a semblance of a home. We adults should b careful. Don’t bring children in2 ds world if u aint ready 2 gv ur all. We r not animals..nd if by sm chance u hav 1. B there 4 dt child. He didn’t birth himself.

34. Jane

November 30, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Ice-prince*

35. Anonymous

December 1, 2013 at 4:29 am

People are quick to blame the guy, what about the stupid girls. When you have unprotected sex with a guy or even use a condom there is a chance you will get pregnant. What happened to emergency contraceptive. When all is said and done, we girls are left holding the bag, so it is our responsibility mainly to protect ourselves and stop playing the victim. Take responsibility for your future if not your child will just be a line item on some guys monthly expense sheet and he will find someone to settle down with. this happens not only to celebrities. and from my experience there as many foolish girls out there as there are stupid guys. it goes both ways

• Fashionista

December 2, 2013 at 9:49 am

I agree, but they were two consenting adults. When shit hit the fan, he should have shut his trap first, done the verification he needed to do, then spoken. Initially jumping to deny the child and make the girl look effed wasn’t on. He looks a bigger fool now self.

36. Harlequeen

December 3, 2013 at 5:43 am

Hmmmm,na wa 4 all dis celebraties, all of dem hv sons or daughters

37. Chris

December 3, 2013 at 11:22 pm

mennnn so we now know what “baby mama” means in Nigeria.. kai..what is Nigeria becoming?

38. oyin

December 5, 2013 at 1:31 am

I blame both of them. Men most of the time are the ones who want unprotected sexwhen the urge is on and cant control themselves. Women, if you love yourself, respect yourself, don’t open ur legs for any guy and so called celebrities. Fast forward, the baby is here. Iceprince, you are not a megastar bcos ur head is swelling too much. President Obama, the busiest man he finds time for his daughters. So, try all ur best to be there for JAmal, and stop dissing ur babymother. Whatever resentment, bitterness u both have should remain private.

39. 2bad

January 18, 2014 at 4:34 am

Ice-Prince u be Ma Mentor, bt no dey fall hands diz way? bro ah advice U, qo do Partanal Test u qet?