News

#AsoEbiBella: What Do You Do With The Stunning Style After The Wedding Is Over?

BellaNaija Weddings

20131220-110839.jpgHappy Friday fashionistas!

We love our readers – you’re the smartest and of course the most stunning around. Reader Deborah posed this question to us via our #AsoEbiBella e-mail (asoebibella “at” gmail.com) – “What do you do with the fabulous aso ebi after the wedding is done?”

Specifically she said,

“What happens to the colour coded gele and aso ebi after the wedding?
There are so many weddings that require their guest to come in their preferred colours with the required material. As a wedding guest I personally wouldn’t want to re-wear my gele or eso-ebi.

So the big question is what happens to their gele’s and eso ebi’s after the big day?”

We posed the question on our social media – Facebook, Twitter and of course Insta, and we promised to publish the best responses.

#asoebibella aso ebi

Here you go:

Via Insta:

@funmysho: Re-rock… To church

@abenasweetheart: Save it for my daughter

@prettykoats: Send them to Naija, can’t re rock too much for church and can’t wear to other parties

@mzmary9: Trash ke? Def re-rock or you can take it to the tailors to have them change it into something else!!

@omolaramumuni: Over re-rock ni o if I like the material, if not it goes into storage for charity tinz

Via Facebook:

St Cellins Ijeoma: Re-rock it with different accessories.

Maryam Yagana Waziri: Trash it

Via Twitter:

@x_Neleh: re-rock till it doesn’t fit… Then I’ll try and slim down till I fit back into it

@er_rays: Definitely re-rock and that’s the reason the style has to be #onpoint

@golden_boo: I’m gonna re-rock it … but won’t be in all occasions! Just 1ce in a blue moon

What’s your take?! Remember if you want to send your styles via e-mail, send to asoebibella(at)gmail.com.

xoxo

We love weddings as much as you do – get in touch for inquiries, inspiration & more!

E-mail: weddings (at) bellanaija.com | E-mail for #AsoEbiBella: asoebibella (at) gmail.com

Instagram: BellaNaijaWeddings
Twitter: BellaNaijaWed
Pinterest: BellaNaijaWed

1. Lolade

December 20, 2013 at 11:32 am

re-rock for sure!! thats the joy of living in Lagos. lots of occasions to wear things to 🙂

• Purpleicious Babe

December 23, 2013 at 1:17 am

Thanks o jare…
      As in over re-rock sef. After I invested money, aso ebi na serious investment oo. I don’t envy people with plenty siblings on this particular matter esp in Niaj.
      If anything if sha, aso ebi na summer tings.
      The little I have, I rock it to church, events or other occasions not necessarily weddings though.

If I don’t like the style, then its a giving away ting. x

2. Xtsy

December 20, 2013 at 11:43 am

D amount of time and energy Naija pple spend on material
    things is disheartening

• Dolapo

December 20, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Is it your money? Keep calm and spend!!!!!!!

• tish

December 20, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Shut up there! How much do you have?

• AsHAnI

December 23, 2013 at 12:13 pm

she said ‘time and energy’ o! not money.. over sabi

• Royalty

December 20, 2013 at 6:50 pm

it is terrible! and the responses alone..som evn say “they cant re-rock”..oh well. *exhales*

• Emi le-gan oh

July 19, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Very very disheartening….. To me it called Hoarding and being wasteful! These generation are busy buying buying buying. When are we going to start saving, saving, saving. When I turned 25 I decided no more parties and owambe. I want to start saving all those spending. I’m 31 now. My account is breathing heavy. My future is paramount to me. If I’m not at your party It would still hold and rock. After all the buying and sowing. All you do is sit down and take selfies. The only time you parade your cloth is when you walk in and walk out of the venue. Finish!

3. adelegirl

December 20, 2013 at 11:51 am

Definitely re-rock for sure. That’s why I don’t go over the
    top with so-ebi styles. I keep in my mind that I might want to wear
    the fabric again – to church, work on a friday perhaps (if it’s
    ankara), some other non-aso-ebi party or an aso-ebi party with
    similar colours. Re-rock it is! Besides most aso-ebis are way too
    expensive to trash or not re-rock. You feel like you need to get
    your money’s worth.

4. whocares

December 20, 2013 at 12:13 pm

re-rock or “rechauffe”. lol. I had an Ankara dress for my aunts wedding, and by God’s grace im wearing it to dinner with some of my oyinbo friends comes Saturday. its knee length and flared. a nice pair of tights and boots and im good to go.. if the cloth is more complicated, I would probably take it apart and do something else with it.. clothes cant just go to waste like that.

5. Mariaah

December 20, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Re-rock.. Trash ke?? That what happen?? That is why you avoid too much drama on aso-ebi. My cousin used orange lace and brown velvet for her wedding. I have re-rocked the wrapper!

6. bolatito

December 20, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Re-rock it!!!
    But saw it in a style dat u can re-rock to church & work.

7. Debby

December 20, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I will re-rock ni o, and thats why I make styles that i can also wear to church

8. Mz endowed

December 20, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I don’t do aso ebi. I am sorry!!!!!!!! Will rather buy shoe with the money that I won’t be shy to rerock and rerock and rerock……… My own 2 cents

9. NIRA

December 20, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Definitely re-rock!! I can make two different blouses: a sexy one for a wedding and a more decent one for church!

10. Dammy

December 20, 2013 at 12:49 pm

re-rock ni with another accessories trash ke

11. corolla

December 20, 2013 at 1:18 pm

As a rule,i.do not do aso ebi! Such an expensive tradition if you ask me.

12. Aibee

December 20, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Re-rock till the fabric fades or the dress doesn’t fit anymore, which ever comes first. I hardly ever buy aso-ebi anyway. I buy geles and aso-oke in the wedding colour to match the laces which I already have. That way, I can wear my clothes till I’m tired of them whilst still remaining in the colours chosen by the couple for their event. As for Ankara, I only bought one aso-ebi Ankara throughout 2014 and I made it into a dress that I can wear to work on Fridays, Mall on Saturdays or Church on Sundays. I still wear all the aso-ebi Ankara from the years when I was buying aso ebi left right and center.
    I stopped buying aso-ebi the day I realized that I’d bought aso-ebi that I hadn’t worn even once since the wedding and the couples were already marking their first, and in some cases-second, wedding anniversaries I guess the fact that I don’t buy aso ebi anymore explains why I don’t have a single velvet wrapper to my name.

• Purpleicious Babe

December 23, 2013 at 1:20 am

2014? ha we are still 2013 o. x

13. The K

December 20, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Nigerians(especially the Lagos-based babes 🙂 ) must all have walk-in closets and really large ones at that. Apparently most occasions(especially marriages and death celebrations/ceremonies) have an aso-ebi they would be rocking specifically for that event. Judging from the number of events that go down every week in Lagos it must really be a daunting task having to keep all those outfits because most won’t really want to use them anymore for fear that people who may have been at the event would recognize the outfit and give them that “i recognize this outfit” look. And since most Lagos babes won’t want to be seen to have “over-worn” any outfit, I guess their best bet is giving out to charity or dashing it out. Its different for us guys because we are not “configured” to worry that much I guess :).

• Donna

December 20, 2013 at 7:59 pm

For me, if u recognize d outfit, I’ll label u an outfit
      rememberer and tell u to mind ya beeswax!

• AsHAnI

December 23, 2013 at 12:16 pm

#GBAM! who does that? go out monitoring what others repeat?

14. Love

December 20, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Trask ke? I will re-rock it over and over and over again. A friend of mine, hers was red velvet, blue lace n blue headtie. I hv used the wrapper with diff colours of lace, the blouse lace with diff colours of wrapper also with the headtie.

15. Love

December 20, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Trash ke? I will re-rock it over and over and over again. A friend of mine, hers was red velvet, blue lace n blue headtie. I hv used the wrapper with diff colours of lace, the blouse lace with diff colours of wrapper also with the headtie.

16. Avon

December 20, 2013 at 1:41 pm

RE-Rock but in manner nobody would notice.That is why i love our mothers. You can either use the gele on sumfn else or the wrapper on another blouse! Its called been ”innovatice”

17. Thelma

December 20, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Re-rock it of course! Especially for church (unless its like the one in the picture above). That’s the reason it’s important to be mindful of the styles you sew, except you’re the “wear only once” kind of person.
    As for the gele, get a good box and keep them. They never run out of style. I still use some of my mother’s “ichafu” that she wore to weddings years ago.

18. Chic

December 20, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Trash ke? Outfit that I paid serious money for! I will re rock in different ways with different accessories until I can re rock no more and then give it away.

19. Tiwalade

December 20, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Re rock it of cos.

20. Semirah Lawal

December 20, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I’d definetely rerock it! But definately not for another wedding. 😀
    A Totally different event!

21. Tiki

December 20, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Trash ke? So what if someone recognizes the dress? Did they pay for the dress? Regular folks like us need to realize that we cannot afford this business of wearing 20k dress once and then trashing it. If I spend 20k on a dress, best believe I’m going to wear it to at least 3 weddings, 1 magazine launch and finally a BBQ. ei dey pain you? hug transformer!

*singing* I am not my clothes….

• Speak Out

December 21, 2013 at 7:02 am

Loooooooooool @ singing *I am not my clothes* Very
      funny…

• Bevshine events

December 29, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Triple #gbam. I will rerock till am tired…money isn’t picked from the trees and I love my clothes too much to wear just once because of monitoring spirits counting how many times have worn an outfit.

• Anon

January 23, 2014 at 7:23 pm

LOL!!!

22. Ting

December 20, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I only buy aso-ebi for close family members and close friends weddings and functions. Every other person will be all-right.

23. ms sexy

December 20, 2013 at 8:53 pm

re-rock is the way to go! now the way it is now is make
    different blouses, for d ankaras, cut 2 yards for wrapper, keep ur
    4yrs for ur helps, staff, less privileged to put smiles on their
    faces during yuletide, if u had 50 parties during d year and u
    bought ankara for all, d 2yrs is not gonna mess ur wardrobe up and
    for d heavy laces, not all parties take aso ebi, so what I do is
    when someone call out colors; i bring out some of my aso ebis and
    rock to T wt different accessories and all d razzmatazz, if u dont
    do aso ebi wt Lagos people when it gets to ur turn just call out
    colors otherwise na u go wear ur aso ebi alone!

24. itsjustme

December 20, 2013 at 11:39 pm

i give mine to charity ….most times the sewing isn’t as
    great as clothes off the shelf. on the other hand, my mother
    usually changes the style of her asoebi

25. Mimi

December 20, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Like many others, definitely rock the outfit again,
    different occasions. The best would be for 2 piece outfits, cuz
    then you can mix and match. Also, mixing it with different pieces
    of clothing, maybe a leather jacket, or non-trad pants, skirt,
    blouses also works. And like they said, you can always take it back
    to the tailor to make something new. I mean, I’d hate to trash it,
    or donate, unless I was over it, especially if it cost so much to
    get/make

26. Person

December 21, 2013 at 10:42 am

trash ke? ko jo rara!!! I will re-rock my thing, except of course it is not a material I would have bought on my own. Did you pay for it ni? Nigerians be tripping.

27. Tomi

December 21, 2013 at 10:01 pm

TRASH BAWO, ASO 12K, SEWING 5K, TRASHERS NI LOL .. I WILL ROCK TILL IT DIES. LMAOOOOOOO NO ABUSE ME OHH

28. adoley

December 22, 2013 at 3:50 am

Being in the U.S. i dont wear african clothes as often as I would in Ghana. Accessorize! Accessorize! change the shoes & jewelry! Pair a shirt with a solid color top or silky/lacey top! Pair the ankara blouse with jeans and blazer! I can go on and on with the combinations…and add in the head tie, or use kente for scarf.. different story…

I give away when i have run out of room for allowance and decide i will no longer be skinny to fit into the outfit. Otherwise re-work the cloth for a shoe, headband, head ties, scarf whateva.

29. Tosin

December 22, 2013 at 8:56 am

Deep.
    Like a Kardashian dilemma.
    😉

30. AsHAnI

December 22, 2013 at 8:16 pm

all these babes saying ”trash it”..i wish I had that luxury oo..on the other side of the world map where I live..aso ebi is a luxury o! oyinbo no dey do Ankara like that o! in the past one year, only one I sew! and that was just Jehovah! so it is like gold to me abeg! I will re-rock, re-starch, re-fit, re-condition, till another ‘needle in haystack’ opportunity abeg!

• Ewa

December 23, 2013 at 10:46 am

LOL..Best Comment..

31. merci

December 23, 2013 at 9:20 am

@donna; ”outfit rememberer” thats really funny.
    re- rock them o all the way with different accessories.

32. ngozii

December 23, 2013 at 3:45 pm

This is too lovely. Visit naijasinglegirl.wordpress.com

You’ll be glad you did

33. PrettyK

December 24, 2013 at 6:58 am

No Aso-ebi in 2014.Mo Sorry Gaa-n!

34. Nat

December 24, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I am not aso ebi collector but the few I have, I have definitely re-rocked them which are all ankaras. I am not a lace person and will never buy a lace aso ebi, worse off is that akpoche material (sorry o, is it velvet you people call it?) reigning now. Clothe na cloth whether na aso ebi or you enter market buy am on your own. My secret for aso ebis is; keep the styles simple, all my aso ebi materials are knee length gowns or knee length skirts, which I can easily wear to church or work on Fridays.

35. nonijaz

December 27, 2013 at 1:23 am

i will wear it over and over, until i am tired oooooo

36. Ibinabo

January 3, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Trash what?! na dirty??.. Re-work’s just perfect!

37. Princess E Mimi

January 10, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Wear it to church.

38. that1girl

August 6, 2014 at 3:45 am

So, I just ordered and received my gele today. Am I wrong for wanting to wear it casual with jeans or a dress as well as to dressed up events?

39. Emi le-gan oh