News

“Africans MUST have Sex the Heterosexual Way” – Charles Novia on the Same Sex Bill

Charles Novia - January 2014 - Same Sex Bill - BellaNaija

I have been reading interesting comments on social media about the new ‘anti-gay bill’ recently signed into law by President Jonathan. The supporters of the bill are in the majority while those opposed to it seem to have found their voices more AFTER it has been signed by the President. The pro-gay voices are angry, hurt and stirring up a storm within Nigeria. Many of them are Nigerians who are either ‘enlightened’ about Gay Rights or are sympathetic to the Gay cause. Some are also Nigerians living in the diaspora who are in societies where the Gay Movement have virtually taken over the political and social structures of those places and being homo-receptive is mostly a way of life.

Nigeria has just joined 78 other countries in the world which have strong anti-gay laws. About 35 of such countries are in Africa alone, not surprisingly. Africa has a huge anti-homosexual belief and cultural structure which has been in place for thousands of years. The fabric of Africa’s cultural beliefs are intertwined with a pre-dominant heterosexual society. Africa has homosexuals, no doubt. Millions of them but they are in a clime where a majority opinion steeped in the rules and regulations of the ancestral laws of the continent are held sacrosanct. And so it should be, somewhat. A people, a nation, is defined by what binds them together in cultural and perhaps theological identities or affinities. Despite the outcry by the Western nations about Africa’s homophobia, many African countries are not willing to endorse same-sex marriages. The core of Africa’s existentialism is rooted in polygamy. Simple as that. Africans must have sex and sex the heterosexual way. Africans are more in touch with their Spiritual selves, be it Animism, Christianity, Islam, Paganism or whichever religion they choose to practice to enhance or evolve their Spirituality. For those beliefs, however decadent such may be viewed by the Western Societies, shape the core of its people.

Nigeria is part of Africa and the points I just highlighted are part of the Nigerian society. Nigeria , ironically, is one of the most receptive countries in the world when it comes to Western religions and Middle Eastern linear faith. We lap up everything spat on us through Western imperialism and accept such totally. But we have refused to accept the same-sex marriages. Nigeria is not ready for that, truth be told. Forget about what the Bible or Koran say right now. Nigeria is not and may never be ready for a Gay overhaul on its social and family structures.

A good question I should ask is this; in China, Russia, Saudi Arabia and some other hardline countries, being Gay is punishable by either death or imprisonment. In fact, President Putin calls the Gay Movement ‘ Western decadence and perversion’ and has spoken out firmly against it and like most of those countries, passed laws against it. But you don’t see the West taking a hardline stance against those countries which have called their bluff. What will America, Britain and the rest of Europe do to Saudi Arabia where homosexuality is punishable by death? Do they tell the Arabs to effectively stop being Muslims because of Gay Rights? Why are the Western Countries not imposing sanctions or orders on China and Russia for their anti-Gay stand? Why do they bully the African nations into accepting this new wave of ‘human rights’?

In Britain and America and indeed Europe, if any anti-Gay person or group speak out against the same-sex marriage, they are curiously labelled homophobic and accused of ‘hate speech’. Those countries have succeeded in instilling fear in the minds of those who oppose Gay marriages. So, majority of their citizens are scared of voicing their thoughts and just let it be. It is that same climate of fear which the West aspires to bestow on Africa concerning Gay rights and they are going about it the wrong way.

Western movies and television series have been beaming images of Gay lives and marriages to African homes and these things scare Africans a lot. What is being projected is unthinkable to Africans in the majority. The very idea that two men would marry and live together as husband and husband is not in good taste to many Africans. Likewise lesbians marrying themselves too in Africa. It cannot be accepted and the drastic laws are being passed to stop this incursion.

There are over six billion people in the world today. Gays are probably 15% of the World’s total population. Go figure that out. I have nothing against Gays. I believe in tolerance. But I do not in anyway support the notion that a Same-sex marital environment should thrive in Nigeria. There are safe havens for that in Western Societies. And in South Africa. But it is, at this point of Africa’s development, not acceptable in Nigeria. That is just the reality.

And my opinion is basically my opinion.

***
Charles wrote the article on his blog – CharlesNoviaDaily.com

1. on point!

January 14, 2014 at 7:11 pm

no need to add…you’ve spoken well.i don’t have anything against them do what u’re doing in the closet if you like.i am not in support of killing anybody because they’re gay..it’s their business but legalising it in Nigeria is a NO NO NO!

• slice

January 14, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Always be afrarid, very afradi whenever anyone compares u
      to china. We r not china. We don’t go taking pple’s rights away.
      Growing up if I had mentioned that someone was gay, my parents wld
      likely hav told me to mind my own business. Where is that africa in
      what charles is saying. I’d rather be compared to the u.s. there’s
      nthg to be ashamed of if you’re a country that stands with the weak
      and the minorityi don’t want charles or anyone else telling me what
      I believe as an african. We don’t all have the same mind.and this
      law is nt abt legalizing gay rights, its abt criminalizing it. So
      by supporting charles and co, u r in effect saying u agree with
      punishing someone for how the person chooses to have sex with
      another consenting adult. For that reason alone, the law is silly
      to me

• Anon

January 15, 2014 at 2:02 am

Biko what’s “weak” about gay people or gay movement? It is what it is.

• Tayo

January 15, 2014 at 2:09 am

I think you should relocate to the us and practice your gay there sha don’t make mistake of going to Saudi Arabia because you will be killed . Has america stopped buying oil from Saudi becos of their anti gay law. Double standard . That should tell u pro gay people something . Seems like this generation is doomed for hell unless we say there is no hell too a I

• slice

January 15, 2014 at 2:42 am

lol @ Anon. i like how you chose to ignore the fact that i said weak OR minority part.

• hawtspot

January 15, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Hello Slice, where there is no law there is no offense; the anti-gay law has criminalized gay practice considering Nigeria’s weak legal system. I don’t know how others feel about it but as a Christian that aspires to make heaven, my bible calls it an abomination (1 Corinthians 6v9-10; Romans 1v26-27, Leviticus 18v22) there could be more scriptures against this practice. I won’t condemn any gay person but earnestly pray that the light of God will shine on them, I would rather show them love to win them over to Christ than hate them. However, it is an abomination to God our maker. Last word for our leaders, the same God that detest gay practice also detest looting, bribery, forgery, electoral rigging and corruption in its entirety.

• slice

January 15, 2014 at 3:32 pm

@hawt, I agree the bible says so. Ialso agree it says thou shall nt commit adultery and its possibly more against adultery than being gay bc the adultery issue is one of the ten commandments and gay is nt. Why doesn’t the govt have a law that says if u’re caught with aman or woman that is nour husband or wife and u look like u r lovers, we can arrest u. Now I’ll know we r really serious abt following bible

2. lyn

January 14, 2014 at 7:25 pm

They are human beings, they are people and they have rights as well.

• Oye_ken

January 15, 2014 at 12:46 pm

saying dey ve right is liking grantin ur child’s wish on everything she want in life both positive n negative.

3. @IamMcPetros

January 14, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Mr Charlie (Charles), E Be You Correct. Preach Mehn.

• Mo

January 14, 2014 at 8:50 pm

IGNORANCE!!!!

• Tayo

January 15, 2014 at 2:08 am

4. Chigbo

January 14, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Ok that chapter is closed…..who you want to sleep with is strictly your business. Just keep it out of public domain. If Nigeria doesn’t favor you then move abroad.

Let nobody take laws into their own hands to terrorize gays pls……leave judgement for God

Finally, we NEED A BILL AGAINST CHILD ABUSE AND DOMESTIC ABUSE!!!!!!
    This is what we really need I beg

• atm

January 15, 2014 at 12:35 pm

I’m sorry but i don’t understand this new wave of Bills, Bills everywhere. These things were crimes before and remain so. I’m not discussing cultural validity. You don’t need to be a lawyer or law student to read the criminal code or penal code nah! That is why these people fool us all the time. And it’s not like they are that smart either. All these rubbish people passing laws, if we cannot do something that will stop them immediately, at least let us not lap up their lies.

5. riley

January 14, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Two grown people doing what they want with their bodies is wrong but old men marrying or raping 12 year olds is acceptable. African culture my foot.

• Okechukwu Ofili

January 14, 2014 at 7:41 pm

thank you o!

• Ohboy

January 14, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Nigeria keeps on disappointing me. We allow pedophiles
      claiming its their religion, but two consenting adults, odikwa
      problem.

• NaijaPikin

January 14, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Forget pedophiles…..This same GEJ granted pardon to a homosexual rapist Major, Bello Magaji just last year. Useless president

• Nonye

January 15, 2014 at 11:45 am

Get your facts right pls. If you are referring to the northern senator, that is not rape. He legally married the girl whether you like it or not under Islamic rites/religion and the Nigerian constitution protects him. If you want to make any meaningful contribution, you should review the current Child Protection Act and provide views on what should be improved.
      It is not all what 2 grown ppl do that is morally right or within the law. E.g. A person choosing to kill an unborn ‘child’ via abortion is a crime. A prostitute who chooses to sleep with another person is also a crime yet they are both consenting adults. A man who purchases drugs to get high for his own pleasure will go to jail for his actions even though he is an adult.
      In summary, whether consenting adults or not, these are vices and we have chosen to criminalise it. If you dont like it, change your preferences, leave the country or dont get caught if you choose to stay.

• Chat

January 15, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Am in love with your comment

• slice

January 15, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Nno dear, he arm twisted the nigerian govt into accepting his vile interpretation of the quran. Its not an accepted islamic fat that you can marry a minor. That’s just disgusting to sleep with a kid

• Marc Francis of Chelsea

January 15, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I cannot believe that there are people that think like you. You are actually telling me that with all your moral and religious sanctimony you think it is right that that pig was allowed “legal” marry a child? Keep in mind that he has now divorced her for another child. You are saying that it is “African” to marry, fuck, and impregnate CHILDREN?

I’m over this topic. If you people like, lock us all up. Allocate government contracts to your politicians so they can steal more and build tatched roof jails to house us. If that’s too much for you, line us all up and shoot us. After all God created this world just for you and your children. But I swear to you, in that jail cell with me, and right along that firing squad will be your brother, your sister, your aunty, your uncle, and your closest friends who have been scared into the closet by your bigotry. May they be caught the first time they try anything with the same sex!

Ignorance spreads like a fire in a forest, but enlightenment is a light through a key hole in the darkest room.

BYE!

• John

July 27, 2014 at 7:08 am

So your saying a gay man should leave the country he was born in lool Biko Na all of us get this country and we ain’t going anywhere we are not asking for legalising

6. uSo

January 14, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Charles I have neither gold nor silver to give, but all i can do is to say thank you.

• Mo

January 14, 2014 at 8:52 pm

STUPID TALK!!!!

7. Iyke

January 14, 2014 at 7:46 pm

I find it curious the amount of time one spends minding the affairs of others…while leaving their own collection of sorted unattended issues to fester…neglected and undisturbed… Perhaps the old adage “You need to sweep your own doorstep before you start sweeping the doorstep of others,” should not fall on death ears…
    Charles Novia, though you are entitled to your opinion, note that character is not a gift…it is the personal power you create in a world that owes you nothing…

8. www.thelmathinks.blogspot.com

January 14, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I totally accept gay people, my thoughts are that if my loved one or family member is gay I won’t love him or her less, that said, a line ought to be drawn and that’s when it comes to marrying a member of the same sex. However, if they had passed this law against the domestically violent, rapists, molesters, and our thieving politicians it would have made more sense. Because wrong as it may seem, two women marrying each other pose no harm at all to society or anyone around them. It is in no way a crime!

9. bitha

January 14, 2014 at 7:57 pm

i don’t think I could agree more, no one dares to insult
    Saudi Arabia or deal with china for their strict laws but when it
    comes to an African country they ready to voice out. This is us and
    what we decide for our country, and also no one cares who you have
    sex with but to legalize it and give it much freedom? no no no
    nooo.this is Africa and these are our core values if you cannot
    take the heat get out of the kitchen.and the last time I checked
    this is my opinion.

• RA

January 15, 2014 at 3:46 pm

no one dares to insult saudi arabia and all because they don’t need them for aid/fund.

• John

July 27, 2014 at 7:10 am

Smart state by but pls tell your nation to stop begging from them & start innovating maybe they will stop

10. RichyGame

January 14, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Succinctly put!

11. amakadon

January 14, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Gay community, go read your bible well.

• alviscali

January 15, 2014 at 11:47 am

shut up….is everyone a believer of the Bible????

12. Mo

January 14, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Nigerians are such hypocrites!!! This makes no sense!!!
    Comparing us to developed or developing countries is ridiculous!!!
    Passing this law is not a priority for Nigeria!!! We need to fix
    more pressing issues … How is the affairs of two consenting
    adults a crime?

13. Xtsy

January 14, 2014 at 8:47 pm

I can never get my head around Why any one needs to enforce their sexuality on others . In the western world straight people have been systematically marginalised, not allowed to have an opinion and often times not allowed to progress in their career’s. I know of whole government department’s in western countries where homosexuals have ‘taken over’, most of them get quite disappointed and restless if you don’t give their sexuality any notice or give them special preference. They do as they like and still progress in their career’s, naive minds see this as an easy way out and so get drawn in too ( a kind of god fatherism). TV series like modern family, gay carnivals/parades is also helping to force the agenda down peoples throat’s. I think it is time for heterosexuality to become more “in your face” and a for straight agenda to be pushed proactively because at the rate at which the world is going heterosexual relationships may become more of an exception rather than the norm.

• NEWBIE

January 14, 2014 at 9:18 pm

may God bless you!! you just wrote exactly whats on my mind

• whocares

January 14, 2014 at 10:18 pm

I cant. I was going to type out a reasoned response etc but I honestly cant. Where do i start from with statements like “homosexuals have taken over”.. Are they not human beings and if they happen to prosper at their work place does that not say something about the work ethics of the PEOPLE in question which is what is important not their sexual orientation? Please which government department were you referring to? I honestly want to know and read this information for myself?

Its time for heterosexuality to be pushed, and a straight agenda proper you said? Did you read this as you typed it? Go back, read it again, loudly to yourself if it helps you.. I am not being insulting but I want you to realise that we are talking about people’s life, and choices, not some government budget to increase money for the south over the east. Do you think because some people are homosexual, that means the rest of the world will suddenly become homosexual too? People will suddenly force themselves to be attracted to the same sex even though they have no wish to because we are all mindless drones and genetics has nothing to do with our sexuality?

I cannot type a reasoned response to all you have written because I dont understand you, how you think or why you would think this. Again this is not an insult, I am genuinely baffled as to your comments, and how you arrived at the conclusion that homosexual people are effectively taking over the world (last I checked they are the minority getting killed, raped and persecuted regardless of the fact that they are human beings just like you and I)

• Tayo

January 15, 2014 at 2:12 am

Shut up my friend!!

• nomad

January 15, 2014 at 8:35 am

To that nincompoop that says shut up, I don’t blame you. Brainwashing and hypocrisy is your language not reasoning and logic.

• alviscali

January 15, 2014 at 11:52 am

why must u even see that as a competition,is it eating your food???does it affect the heating in your house in the cold months????straight carnivals are all over the place so what is wrong if people of a different sexual orientation have theirs too…..just read ur comment out loud to yourself and realize how ignorant it sounds………kmt

• hawtspot

January 15, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Did you say take over? Ok. Whether taking over or not it is an abomination, that is what God calls it. Sorry if you are hurt but that is the candid truth, the clay can never ask the potter what it is making or how did you shape me in this manner. No matter what the world says, God’s word is final dear.

• Nonye

January 15, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Please can I say ‘I love you’ for writing these last few lines? Na wa o! Why should a population of 1% be asking us to respect their preferences above all others? Today it is homosexuality, tomorrow what will it be? Now public figures in the US and UK come out to cheer a person once he is described as ‘gay’. Who cares???? They dont cheer the million others who have achieved better things. Why must a minority force their views down our throats? If you want to be a homosexual then be without asking or forcing us to accept your views, let alone canvass for them.

• slice

January 15, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Thiscurrent conversation is not about upholding gay rights. Very few gay pple in nigeria are openly gay so u surely don’t see them asking for their rights. The issue her is this new law allows a cop to arrest u if u are gay or appear to be gay. This is nt abt we won’t let you marry each other. This law goes way beyond that. And those crying out against are doing so for difft reasons. One if u’ve lived in naija, surely u must know u don’t really ve to be gay to get arrested for being gay. But more importanlty, the law shd never be used to further religion. It has never worked out well. Think of queen mary burning pple for nt accepting her “faith.” If u believe God doesn’t want pple gay, Jesus showed an example pray for them. That’s the place of religion. Or is it possible u don’t really believe God can take care of his own issues so u want to do the job for him

14. Angel

January 14, 2014 at 8:53 pm

The white man knows exactly what he’s doing with this homosexuality propaganda,
    Y’all don’t know there’s more to this rubbish, God forbid Africa especially Nigeria accepting
    This ish. Do not follow the western world stupidly. By the way, why are Americans not preaching
    To the Arab nations about enacting pro gay laws………mtcheeeeeew

15. IRE D Stage Devi

January 14, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Things are really falling Apart & d centre has
    refused 2 hold. Our elders sag, our maidens beg 2 be betrothed,
    African mothers careless if we live or die, d people we luk up 2
    now fight 4 gay rights & celebrate divorce. D gods must
    really be crazy 2 think slavery is over. Lolz. A blind man can
    afford 2 play wit stone, but d man wit 2 eyes should take heed. Wit
    total freedom comes total chaos…Ire ooo!

16. John

January 14, 2014 at 9:03 pm

I think it’s disheartening when people say things without proper understanding of what they are talking about or speaking with utmost bias. You cannot criminalize sex, it’s totally insane to think that anyone can criminalize sex….people say homosexuality is against order of nature, isn’t oral sex and the so many things we heterosexuals do this days against the order of nature by definition of that word. Does the word bodily integrity mean anything to Nigerians, that we go as far as deciding how people’s body should be used when it comes to sex and pleasure. Religion is good but it’s also a right if people want to practice it or be bound by it…Nigerian constitution clearly states, that religion must be separated from the state. Why are we Nigerians quick to hate, is it because of the serious years of suffering from the government and their cohorts, shouldn’t our hate be targeting government and their cohorts, rather than adults who have consented to sex in their privacy? Homosexuality is found in a large number of species that exist on earth but homophobia only exists in humans (do your researches people). If we keep hating gays and killing them from now till thy kingdom comes or keep sending them to jail, we can never change the fluidity of sexuality, so rather than waste our time chasing homosexuals that isn’t our problem, shouldn’t we be building our country? Our government has succeeded in taking our eyes and discussions off important issues, now see where we are. If we force a gay person to marry a heterosexual, it doesn’t change their sexuality…guys just stop the hating, we are becoming so full of hate we are beginning to loose our essence of humanity….Phew! By the way, the fault is on we heterosexuals as we are the ones giving birth to homosexuals…

• Yoli

January 15, 2014 at 12:45 am

Well said John!

• Tayo

January 15, 2014 at 2:16 am

Am sure u don’t believe in a God. It’s one thing to sin and accept it’s another to sin and claim holiness. We fornicate and comit adultery but we all know that it is wrong. Being gay is wrong biblically. Let’s call a spade a spade. Don’t force your weird ways on our children. All this clowns advocating for ga laws don’t have gay parents. Lost children !

• slice

January 15, 2014 at 3:41 am

The difference though is no one comes to your house to arrest you when you commit adultery. hence the double standard

• ContessaVlad

January 15, 2014 at 9:01 am

You’re so full of hate and hypocrisy. Gosh, I can almost feel the heat of your hate from here. Are you sure you believe in a god talkless of being a Christian? Hope you know that adulterers were stoned to death in the bible and it was an abomination to have sex before marriage in our African ‘culture’ as well. i’m sure you’re guilty of one if not two of the above mentioned sins, I’m shocked and dismayed that you’re still walking around free and pointing your ignorant fingers at people.

17. Miriam

January 14, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Well said Charles,afterall in the Bible Adam(male) & Eve(female)….God created them knowing fully well.its the right thing to do,i won’t condemn gays,truth be told only God will judge us..i pray I bring up my kids n teach them the doctrine..chikina!

18. chydee

January 14, 2014 at 9:12 pm

So after spending 14years in jail gays automatically become straight?

19. Okechukwu Ofili

January 14, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Is doggy style the heterosexual way? What about missionary?

• nene

January 14, 2014 at 9:32 pm

u try to be PC and u try to sound intelligent, but you fail most times.

20. nene

January 14, 2014 at 9:23 pm

gbam!

• nene

January 14, 2014 at 9:26 pm

chalres novia has spoken well. nigerians are trying to be PC. abeg if u r gay, hide it well, it’s disgusting, and i don’t want to know (either does any other straight person). but i don’t and will never support gay marriage or homosexuality. never!

• Uche

January 15, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Oh shut up! It’s people like you I wish will find out their brother or sister is gay. Ten I’d like to see what you will do.

21. hmm

January 14, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I agree on some parts. Again pls don’t call anybody ignorant because they don’t believe in Gay marriage. What he said was true i live in America and once you say i don’t accept gay marriage. they paint this picture that your evil and you want all gay people to die. Those gay law punishments are a bit harsh. But in case to say i don’t accept gay marriage. i have gay Friends and i love them no more no less but that doesn’t mean what i think they are doing is wrong. If you preach freedom of speech let it be PRACTICED. If i say something is 3 and you say is 2. Fine I see as 3 you see it as 2 keep moving. But don’t call someone IGNORANT because they believe that gay marriage is right. By the way, the whole marriage to young girls thing is disgusting. that’s why people like Stella Damascus are fighting against it. she is trying to convince the government that it is wrong. it doesn’t take one day to do something like that. There is no need to call someone ignorant for something they believe in. If people are so angry they should march in Abuja and demand for what they want. that’s just me.

22. Leah

January 14, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Well as a straight woman if I only had the choice between this man and a woman, I most definitely go with a woman but that’s besides the point. I have been privillages to travel quite a bit and I have quite a few men in my life including Dad, brothers, uncles, cousins, friends etc. I have also dated straight men. One thing they all have in common is they DO NOT care about gay men, what they do and who they do it with. 100% Genuinely straight men DO NOT CARE if the next guy is gay or not as long as they are not approached in any way with it. Straight men are not threatened by gay men, niether are their relationships. A real straight man only cares about his relationship, the woman his is with and the many others he’s trying to get. This kind of bigotry and protest comes from closet gay men who think that acting straight and anti-gay makes them tough. The louder the protest and “god” dropping, the gay they are. Rev. Eddie Long, Rev.Ted Haggard, Mark Foley, Larry Craig, Catholic Priets, were all devout anti-gays untill they got caught
    A relationship that involves two consenting adults behind closed doors is none of my business as a straight woman. What I care about is the man I’m with and what he is doing period.
    In a place like Africa where aids and other diseases are ravaging it’s citizens, these kinds of hatrad forces gay men into the closet and that leads to the perversions, molestation of young boys, getting married and exposing their women to these diseases. As a woman I want to know that a guy is gay and avoid him than date and marry someone who is pretending to be with me because of society pressure. Women and children are raped every day, all the murders, boko haram, corruption and poverty, who exactly gets hurt by two adults having sex? Some of these people really need to get layed and get their nose off peoples’ bedrooms. And please save the bible nonesense, I do not believe in whatever religion or fairy tail you believe in (and you also have the right to it) just don’t force it on anyone. Hate them if you will, avoid them if you must, but they are human beings and should have the same human rights as we all. There are some people who think that black people as a race should not exist, so guys better chill.

• Karma

January 14, 2014 at 9:56 pm

My exact thoughts. If one is comfortable with their own sexuality they would not bother what others are doing. How strongly people want to impose their sexual preference on others tells me more about that persons state of being and closet homo comes to mind, all that chat about holiness , culture, religious text. It’s as if they are trying to convince themselves that they are one thing rather than the other.

• Tayo

January 15, 2014 at 2:26 am

Shut up my friend ! Even the bible said there would be fake priest in the end times. Let’s just get right with God. No body holy pass but being gay is downright wrong just like stealing

• Donald-Landon

January 15, 2014 at 3:21 am

Some of us are not Christians so you cannot force your beliefs on other folks. Some of us are. Hindus (me), traditional worshippers, and some don’t even believe in God at all. You have the freedom to practice what you want as a Christian why can’t other people have the same freedom as long as they are not harming or hurting anyone. Of all the pertinent issues going on in Nigeria this is the matter you are wailing brouhaha about. Meanwhile your dear Stella Oduah used tax payers money to buy a bullet proof car while some of the aviation workers have not gotten paid their salary in 8 months, plane crashes here and there, and our airport is looking like a hot mess. This is just one of the many messes plaguing us. As usually there will be no accountability she will get away free. Should we talk about Nigeria being the 7 largest crude oil nation in the world and still there is no constant power supply. Or the Public University professors and public doctors and nurses that have not gotten paid their salary for 2 yrs. I could make 10 HBO series of I had to write all the craziness plaguing Nigeria that could be easily avoided. Isn’t that what we are supposed to be fighting blood and sweat for but misplaced priorities is what do best. I don’t see you channeling the same energy on the other issues.

• Ubaby

January 18, 2014 at 12:54 am

The bible sed a lot but naturally we humans omit some and open up some which is a sin on its on. Its either you do all or none. SIN is SIN, no one has the right to judge anyone except God…remove the log from your eyes b4 removing the stick from mine. And pls the more this gay issue is publicized, the more power is given to them. The end times are near…this is a clear sign of it. May God’s mercy be upon us all, his perfect creations. Amen!!!

23. Sharon

January 14, 2014 at 9:29 pm

what you put in your booty hole behind closed doors is none of my business but please dont bring it to our society, our tvs etc like in the west.

I guarantee you in less than 10 yrs oyinbos will be marrying they been fcking for years. and want to make that legal . Whats the word for marrying animals (i forgot)

I JUST WONDER WHY DONT THEY DARE TAKE THAT SHYT TO MIDDLE EAST, WHY ARE THEY CONSTANTLY P ICKING ON AFRICANS. OBAMA I LIKE YOU BUT YOU ARE REALLY DISAPPOINTING ME. WHY DONT YOU ALL BOYCOTT RUSSIA AND MIDDLE EAST FOR THEIR BELIEVES, JUST COS WE ARE AFRICANS YOU THINK YOU CAN BLACK MAIL US

• Sharon

January 14, 2014 at 9:31 pm

I MEANT TO SAY “OYINBOS WILL BE MARRYING THE DOGS THEY BEEN F CKING ‘
      YALL KNOW THEY DO RIGHT. iTS BIG IN EASTERN EUROPE.

24. amazing grace

January 14, 2014 at 9:30 pm

I don’t understand why they are forcing people to accept what they don’t want. Forcing Nigeria to accept gay marriage as a way of life is also another way of depriving them of their right to choose. If Nigeria says they don’t want gay marriages, it’s fine! why must people rub their dirty linens on our noses. I don’t care about who you are sleeping with or how you are doing it, just keep your shit to yourself and don’t rub it in my face, that’s all Nigeria is saying. it’s ok to call a girl ‘ashawo’ but gay marriages should be allowed? The US is 230 years old, they can do whatever they like, Nigeria is truly not ready for this, please let the country be! I have loads of gay friends, I don’t judge them or anything of that sort; they know how I feel about their sexual lives but the good thing is, we don’t talk about what we do in private. they keep their shit to themselves; that way we are all happy. my point is this, you have a right to be gay or whatever you want to be and I have a right to be homophobic! when you are with the romans you behave like the romans! if you don’t like the romans, don’t bloody visit the romans!

• whocares

January 14, 2014 at 10:08 pm

The “Romans” in this case are full fledge Nigerian citizens just like you in case you have forgotten.

25. Syl

January 14, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Well said Charles, end of

26. NaijaPikin

January 14, 2014 at 9:38 pm

If the law was just on gay marriages, then maybe I would keep quiet. The law is on gay relationships, associations and support. In a country where the police force is known to falsely imprison, extort, bully citizens, we have given them yet another tool to intimidate citizens.

Lets go to our jungle justice folks, how many people will die because they are accused of being gay.

Aside from being caught in the act, how can one truly determine someone is gay? It becomes a free for all witch hunt that will leave many innocent people as victims.

As let us not forget class structure. Truth is only the poor “GAYS” will ever be punished. The rich will continue to abuse children, abuse spouses, cheat on spouses, steal money, commit murder and now add “be gay” in peace.

It is all well and dandy to you or your family or friend is accused of being gay (whether truthful or not), lets see how your thoughts and opinions hold up then.

27. Concerned_Boyfriend

January 14, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Very well said.

28. Maduabuchi Chinaechetam

January 14, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Am totally in support of the anti-gay bill, all of nature scream against such unholliness, ‘opposites attract, likes repel’ we have caused enough harm destroying our world in the name of technology, its more doom to upset nature’s morality, whose fabric is already rotting. The consequence will be overwhelming; mere anarchy will be loose upon our world. Am happy Nigeria hasn’t succumbed to this western hypocrisy! #NoToHomosexuality

29. jcsgrl

January 14, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Look y’all and I know I’m going to get lynched for this but that’s ok. Homosexuality is disgusting. In as as much we all can come here and say what two men or women do with their sex life is none of our biz but odikwa risky. I used to be on that team and granted I’ve seen a bunch of gay folks but havent really been around them. Until hubby and I went to one restaurant and they were at least 3 lesbian couples in their tables i mean smooching and groping each other and acting very couply. the ones directly opposite us worse was. Yo I tried really tried to be tolerant. I couldn’t take it. I told my hubby to hurry up so we can go home. I couldn’t finish my food. He was now chastising me that it wasnt a big deal. Until I now said ok what if it was two men carrying on in front of us…he almost threw up before I could finish the sentence. He was now like yeah mehn I can’t even fathom it. that he would have walked out of the restaurant. I now said you see your life…lol. So yeah, I dont want to see that stuff around me or kids honestly. Let them keep it in their bars or associations or at home but not public places. My problem with the law is they should not be criminalized for their choice but it should be contained abeg. Aint nobody got time for that!

• PurpleiciousBabe

July 28, 2014 at 12:30 am

I see what you mean….Seeing things doesnt feel or look right.

30. riley

January 14, 2014 at 10:08 pm

I was reading this wondering how many people wrote their comments using power from a generator. These are things done and said to distract people from REAL issues. WHAT ABOUT ELECTRICITY, EDUCATION, HEALTH, CHILD WELFARE, EMPLOYMENT? Has the government finished fixing the roads which claim lives? What about the tens of millions living in abject poverty? Oh no homosexuals are Africa’s biggest problem right now. Same song, different verse and the sheep in our society continue to dance to the tune, instead of asking about what really should concern them. It irritates me to see a poor person whose children are not in school and is dying of AIDS yelling about homosexuals corrupting us. ABEG have you finished fixing yourself and your family. Ask yourself this, what has Goodluck Jonathan done for me lately? If the answer is nothing then homosexuals are not the problem.

• Tayo

January 15, 2014 at 2:21 am

It’s a gradual process, Rome was not built in a day . And gej is not the cause of Nigerians problems , neither is he a perfect man! But I believe he would get there

31. Anon

January 14, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Charles WORD!!!!! if you do not like our laws move to Canada I heard they are very sympathetic to homosexuals they will probably give you a green card…

32. bimpe

January 14, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Ok this article is absolutely acceptable, using the same ideology I have and previously commented on a similar article on Bella naija. I agree, if African does want it the it simply doesn’t… however the bill is not for marriage it’s for gay people even getting together. I think everyone should allowed to do whatever they want and the government should focus on not enacting gay marriage not a basic relationship. 14 years for just getting with someone of your choice is just ridiculous. I am very concerned about the misuse of this legislation, Nigeria is yet to have an organised judicial system and police force. There will be so much injustice done through this act, the country is already corrupted enough as it is. I am starting to wonder what test one has to fulfil to be convicted? How do the courts know when one is gay, does this mean our privacy and security as civilians will be breached? Don’t get it!!! We might not accept something does not mean we should jump into quick decisions, decisions that will affect us hugely.

I read on guardian they are arresting people already, its crazy l, absolutely not kool

• ContessaVlad

January 15, 2014 at 9:07 am

God bless you for you comment. So straight women that are butch and effeminate straight men will be accused and possibly jailed for appearing gay abi?

• bimpe

January 15, 2014 at 10:53 am

Yes possibly! Or how else do you someone is gay? Its crazy and so many many injustice is going happen in a country that has no order if it had order then it wouldn’t be so controversial. And for a law as complicated as this one there will need to be a test so am guessing the test is arrest everyone that looks gay lol

33. FJD

January 14, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Miriam just stop what you just wrote. These gay guyz are humans right? Fine but, they are justifying evil and that is what people with good sense of morals are very very against. Male mate with Female to give birth to them yeah? If any guy even touches where you are not supposed to touch in my body , even my friends know that I don’t need to go to the house of assembly before I take action ..evil things

34. Gracie

January 14, 2014 at 10:52 pm

@ Amazing Grace 1000likes to ur comment. And who says gay aint a threat to human existence? We protect other animals from extinction, why not protect humans from extinction? I think this bill is good for human. Some1 talk abt animals been homosexual maybe you should study zoology(animal science) these animals reproduce this way without scientific interventions, and some are hermophrodite and also reproduce well. I may not have finish all my research but from the little i knw, am not a supporter of gays. Call it whatever you like, am not hating anybody jst the simple truth. Do ur gay thing indoor without rubbing it on our nose. It wont have come to this extent if you werent asking to be legalised. If you cant live in Nigeria carry ur ”kaya” (load). Nigeria can and will survive without you(gays)

35. Sandi

January 14, 2014 at 11:00 pm

To those who are standing with the Western world and saying that pedophilia is running rampart in Nigeria and Nigeria is concerned about homosexuals. Are you aware that it was the American Psychological Association (APA) that labeled homosexualism as a disorder and then later changed it. Now are you also aware that this same APA toyed with the idea of removing pedophilia as a disorder as well? When there was an outcry they came out saying it was a mistake. Are you aware that homosexualists actually do promote pedophilia? If you think I’m lying google it. There are staunch homosexuals who champion their agenda that are now championing pedophilia.
    I do not condone the killing of gays, I don’t condone their imprisonment, I don’t condone any harsh punishment, but I do not condone homosexual marriage, it is detrimental to society. History has proven this time and time again.
    While it seems the ‘in-thing’ to take on whatever the west does because somehow they’ve convinced you that their way of life is better, please be notified that they are fickle and love everything that is screams ‘self-destruction.’ The thing you stand against today, namely pedophilia, they will make legal tomorrow and they will convince you that what they have done is right and you will be back on Bella Naija condoning Pedophilia forgetting that you once wrote that what Nigeria needs are laws against it.
    STOP COPYING THE WEST O!!! It is not enlightenment, it is stupidity to ignore the natural order of things.

• Nonye

January 15, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Thank you so much. I think ppl need to be reminded about the role of APA (America) in all of this. Pressure groups and lobbying here and there and voila, we have research evidence that these abhorent behaviours are perfectly normal. You can see why the American society values have degenerated to the lowest levels. Maybe ppl should try sending their kids to live in the US and see how what kind of individuals they turn out to be several years later.

36. Sabifok

January 14, 2014 at 11:00 pm

My 2 kobo on the matter:

1. Africa is NOT Nigeria. It irks me when people use the two terms interchangeably. Nigeria is in the West of Africa, and we are quite culturally different from North Africans, Central Africans and the island countries that are off our coast. The Moors of North Africa invaded Spain, and countries that form ancient Kush, Carthage (mordern day Tunisia) had a lot of interactions with Europeans including trade, soft culture transfer etc. Africa is not Nigeria, the same way all people from Akwa Ibom state should not be called Calabar people. Repeat after me, Africa is not Nigeria….

2. I do not support homosexuality – but I hate the act, not the doers. But trust me, niggaz have been dogging each other for years. Why Nigerians feel like it is an imported act is beyond me. I went to an old boys school, and we once caught two dudes on a field juggling their sausages. Granted they were both beaten by a mob of students to within 2 inches of their lives, but this was in the 90s. And it seems the beating and humiliation didn’t work as it didn’t rehabilitate the gay guys as people had thought. One of them is currently living in Jand with another man, and the other one is living as a man (in Nigeria – don’t ask me where). This has been going on for years. I don’t see why our government wants to take the moral high ground in criminalizing homosexuality when there are crooks running free in modern day Nigeria despite sodomizing our economy and commonwealth. Are these corrupt politicians not equally homosexuals? They are also rapists for what they have done to our country. In fact they are molesters, because Nigeria is relatively young..

2. I dont get (neither do I wish to ever get) why a man would want to smash his fellow man. I am a dude, and I even get uncomfortable when i am taking a leak at a public loo, and another dude comes to use the next urinary. Stay in your own lane, shit.. Heck, its a weird concept too. But you know what, I have learnt to live and let live. I prefer females, and I am mostly friends with people who share this belief. Girls are better to look at, they are soft, they have a nice rosy smell (except the runs girls) and they have nice contours on their body which are silky to the touch like well pounded fufu. If a dude would rather smash Idris Elba than say a Lala Vasquez, then its on him, not me. And not on the Nigerian Police, and definitely not our Government. I personally am attracted to womenfolk. If I could combine some of the physical qualities of all the Nigerian women I fancy into one chick, it would be awesome. Tiwa Savage’s complexion (sorry T-Bills), Tracycee’s face, Omowunmi Akinfesi’s forehead, Toke Makinwa’s thick skin, Sheyi Shay’s thighs, Eku Edewor’s surname ( for connections)..

• spicy

January 16, 2014 at 9:51 am

I’m kinda in love with you for this comment……sorry lol

• PurpleiciousBabe

July 28, 2014 at 12:36 am

hahaha, ur comment had me laughing. loves ur humour. x

37. uc o

January 14, 2014 at 11:15 pm

gay practice brings the wrath of GOD down on a nation if that nation approves it. GEJ,has done the noblest thing as a president. thank u GEJ.this GAY thing is an issue of the mind, because,as a man think in his heart,so is he.Novia,thanks. (as for u Ruggedman,u lack wisdom from GOD. Ain’t ur fan anymore) GEJ,MY VOTE IS YOURS AGAIN.

• NaijaPikin

January 15, 2014 at 1:13 am

And adultery nko? corruption? Child molestation? domestic violence? stealing of millions of naira? all those don’t bring down the wrath?

• Tayo

January 15, 2014 at 2:18 am

Well said

38. Iris

January 14, 2014 at 11:18 pm

My real fear about all this is that soon you will hear that people have been arrested “on suspicion”(suspicion only) of being gay. The next thing will be that just as people take the law into their hands and lynch thieves, people will start stoning people to death for being gay.

39. Gogo

January 14, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Gbam! Six Billion Gbosas for you.

40. Onye

January 14, 2014 at 11:37 pm

The bible says we should not judge. I also watched the film 12 years a slave. People used the bible to justify their treatment and actions towards blacks. And now here we are in the 21st century doing the same to gay people. We should be ashamed.

41. e-bukun

January 15, 2014 at 12:18 am

it’s 2014 and we have no 24hr power supply and our president somehow has the time to pass an anti-gay bill? What exactly is that supposed to change? Does it stop gays from being gay? Nigeria, get your house in order.

42. adoley

January 15, 2014 at 1:19 am

Chaley, Well said! I don’t support killing anyone because they are Gay, but supporting Gay marriage is a different story. The west needs to chill. As someone living in the U.S., the U.S. and the rest of west are not the standard of human rights, there are plenty of injustices that occur here and only God can attest to human right and what constitutes as righteousness (In other words, who died and made these people God to tell us what it right????…Im just sayin!).

They can and have taken our people, our resources, and money….but they cannot take our values! And they wouldn’t even dare impose their cultural values on oppressive nations like Russia, China, or Saudia Arabia (oh…I forgot to mention those countries have nukes, oil and money…so maybe that is why). Why do they think it is ok to impose on African nations??

I agree with those who say we (african nations) should concentrate on more important issues….but I would say the same for the U.S. and the rest of the west — they should concentrate on economic, education, and other issues as well instead of trying to police the rest of us. Being Gay is a choice, is not something that you are born with….people who are female do something that is slight masculine and people here (U.S.) say that the person is gay and the person starts believing that is who they are, acting that way and believes that they cannot be anything else. Same with guys, the guy wears one floral shirt and all of sudden they say he is gay, he acts it, believes it, likes attention and doesn’t believe anything else as been a male. Many people who have been raped or molested by someone, instead of receiving treatment and proper healing over that trauma….they come out Gay/Lesbian. People need to wake up, the gay thing is masking other issues people have.

43. omoibo

January 15, 2014 at 1:28 am

Opinions are like arssse-holes and everyone’s got one……

44. Alero Mii

January 15, 2014 at 1:36 am

So are we heterosexuals meant to give gay couples our children? Or would they look for a way to insert wombs intheir stomach? #soliloquy

45. Tinuke Balogun

January 15, 2014 at 2:23 am

*sigh* I made up my mind not to comment on this issue…but here I am. I am one of those people who beleive we should live and let live. I am a christian, Nigerian girl who lives in the US. When I first got here, I would say “I beleive its a sin but I don’t think its a legal issue. I see homosexuality as a sin, but have nothing against the gay agenda”. Then I started to realise what leagalising gay marraige implies, the consequences. The fact that my nephew will be taught in school that some are born gay and others are not, that it is not a choice. The fact that even disney has introduced a gay character into one of their most popular shows. The fact that it is the new normal for us to see two men or women kissing on tv. The fact that its slowly being ingrained into new, innocent minds as the new normal. I think its simplistic to say that legal homosexuality does not affect everyone. I have heard a paedophile on a documentary argue that he is naturally attracted to young boys, that he was born that way. What’s more, I heard a psychologist say that studies have shown his claim may be true. Where do we draw the line? Indeed Nigeria has more pressing issues. However, when Obama spoke out recently about gay laws in Africa and possible sanctions, I didn’t hear people make the same argument. Why didn’t people point out that Africa, Nigeria has more pressing laws, issues to address and therefore Obama should speak on those? Now the govt has responded by passing a law and all of a sudden its a non issue. My point is simple, the gay issue is a global movement. There’s no grey area. Some countries have legalised it some have not. Nigeria hasn’t, but its more beneficial to look at this matter closely instead of claiming that it does not affect you. As long as you live in this world, it does.

• lilz

January 15, 2014 at 9:07 am

massive hug for you

46. uncle lulu

January 15, 2014 at 5:38 am

Hey, how about we legalise prostitution, abortion and the likes. People should be free to do whatever they want as long as they are adults being patronised by other consenting adult, yeah?… Bulls**t. Someday some people will open their limited minds to understand why your neighbour cant just pick up a gun, walk to your door, knock on it, wait for you to come out and shoot you in the mouth simply because you he does not like the way you talk. I will tell you why. Hmm, yes, its because there is something on planet earth we call “laws”, “rules and regulations”. These are what keeps mankind from engineering its own extinction. You know the difference between a child stealing money from his mother’s purse? And a child stealing at a market place? Both wrong. Only there is something so wrong about the latter. A man humping on another man is straight up disgusting. If they do it in their closet, fine by me, as its their own body aches at the end of it all. But its just soooo f***ing wrong to have my kids grow up around my neighbours Mr kunle and Mr chukwudi and their husbands Mr Ebubedike and Mr. Olowo tabu tabu. So damn wrong. Even all of you gay (no offense) knows this but simply wont admit it. They can gay up all they want in their bedrooms, but not bring it to the public and rob it on our faces. What are you? Trying to start the begining of the end of the world?

• whocares

January 15, 2014 at 1:27 pm

There are laws yes, but there is a gap between Law and Morality. When your government starts to pass a law and uses “Tradition” and “Culture” as justification for that law then you should be afraid, You should be very afraid. But you wont think of that will you, the fact that congress and a constitutional law is made based on these reasons, and what “the majority” thinks in a DEMOCRATIC government? A government of the people for the people? I will live you with that… When Nigeria does not prosper and grow you will know why.. It is because your government does not pass legal laws.. They throw culture and tradition in your face and you all become blinded.

And as for abortion.. The last time I checked a woman had bodily integrity.. It means you can decide to abort your child if you want to.. In some cases, it is necessary.. This is not a black and white area so I wont dwell much on it.

47. Ziizee

January 15, 2014 at 5:56 am

People keep saying dt someone people were born gay i dnt av issue wt dt *jst dnt let catch u doing it*… But majority of gays in Nigeria weren’t born gays.. They were lured, enticed and somehow forced into becoming gay… E.g how r u gonna explain all dz self proclaimed gay men coming after handsome teenage boys tryn sooo hard to get them to be gay by buying them expensive gifts and spoiling them silly wt money?? Y dnt they go n look for those that were born naturally gay according to their claims n nt luring innocent boys into it?? Liars oshi! Born gay my fine sexy black ass:………..!!!! *ziizee*

48. Ziizee

January 15, 2014 at 6:02 am

Sorry abt d typos..*ist line…’some(one) people, 2nd line..jst dnt let ME catch u doing it…

49. AW

January 15, 2014 at 7:36 am

I just can’t help but think, what is the purpose of mankind? Why do we exist? What are we to fulfil? I don’t have the answers but one thing I know is that life is a circle, people die, people are born. We are meant to regenerate our kind so that the circle continues, I for one, think that’s why we have the male and female specie. For this purpose we were created to reproduce. Now you may understand why I find it difficult to accept that homosexuality is a natural phenomenon. To me, while I am a Christian, my lack of acceptance has nothing to do with religion or African traditional beliefs.

50. Facethefact

January 15, 2014 at 7:53 am

if guy right is allowed, every odr thing should be allowed until God comes to judge us all

51. Patrice

January 15, 2014 at 9:05 am

Nigeria is right not to follow the western law on perversion, homosexuality is demonic and you know the West are no longer religious, so anything goes and they are paying a heavy price for it. Nigeria must be able to stand up for whatever it believes and stand by it. I agree with Charles on this. This punch of people need deliverance not acceptance, allowing them to marry and have children is ridiculous, this is the devil at work. We do not want our nation to be destroyed like sodom and gommarah. The Bible say my people are killed all day for lack of knowledge. This is end times so anything goes. I agree totally with Charles

• ContessaVlad

January 15, 2014 at 9:18 am

and Nigeria is a better place because we’re still religious? I don’t think gay people should get married too sweetie but i think it is wrong of the government to throw two consenting adults into jail for loving each other. Your country is on the path to being like sodom and gomorrah already, did you har about the people that were killed yesterday in Maiduguri? Is it homosexuality that caused it? Nigeria is on the precipice of total collapse and I don’t see the fingers of the gay people in it or do you? Could it be that we are where we are now because of heterosexual men and women who have done nothing but rob this nation blind? Have you asked yourself all these questions? Ok now that the bill has been passed do you now have light? Has Boko Haram stopped bombing? Has the bad road to drive to work or school become better? Do you now feel safe?

52. nonye

January 15, 2014 at 10:52 am

truth of the matter is – the law was passed via a constitutional process – and we were all aware when the bill passed through reading and consideration at both houses, if we felt strongly enough about it, we should have lobbied our reps and senators at the time of reading to register our displeasure, the same way we did when the third-term rule bill was being read.

53. Anon

January 15, 2014 at 10:54 am

Oh pls… Gay supporters shut up and take a seat if you have nothing else to say.. The Gay rights is only one issue out of many in the world. What is wrong is wrong. The last time i checked Rape, Terrorism, Armed Robbery e.t.c are all against the law and have punishments attached. Of course, nobody is saying gay people have a hand in any of these problems. Is God now stupid to have made a MAN and a WOMAN? Did he make a mistake? Stop comparing the new bill to the other issues in Nigeria, they have nothing in common. Will Jonathan only focus his attention on Boko Haram and nothing else? If you no longer have morals, some of us do and please if you are GAY in Nigeria and you cannot take it, there are many countries to relocate to so you can practice your retarded sexuality. We will not stoop low to accept this immoral Western culture. Period! The bill has been passed. Deal with it.!

54. Chum chum

January 15, 2014 at 10:59 am

Some people say Gays are born like that, is not there fault and all. they way they are born like that is the way some people are born thiefs and criminals should we now leave them and say its not their fault. please this is totally unacceptable. for ones GEJ has done well.

55. Jj amber

January 15, 2014 at 11:42 am

He who is without a sin should cast the first stone…….

56. cissy

January 15, 2014 at 11:59 am

Gays are not born that way, they are either molested in to it or raped or are possessed by demons , in any case they have been violated, they don’t need acceptance to allow the evil to continue, they need rehabilitation. They need to be as God intended to procreate, if their parents were gay they wouldn’t exist let alone have rights. Lets stop being sentimental over foolishness. what is wrong it wrong. Even Britain hanged a man for being gay( even though i don’t condone violence) but they can’t talk. The british are hypocrites. just because they have turn a new leaf they want other to follow suit rubbish. We should stick to our guns like the russians. Every country have social issues this is just an agenda nigerians should not accept. These people will carry on behind closed doors (though i’d rather they desist) but we don’t need it thrown in our faces. if they want jail term they should stop. These laws are meant to keep people in line with the countries wishes.

January 15, 2014 at 4:06 pm

How can you authoritatively say some people are not born gay? How do you know? Have you been gay before? SMH!sigh…

• Uche

January 17, 2014 at 12:32 am

You speak with the blithe ignorance of one who doesn’t know what she’s saying. Until you know the real struggles of gay people, please stop talking about them.

57. Nko

January 15, 2014 at 12:06 pm

My only question is , how do u prove in court that someone is gay. Suposing someone is arrested because another person said he was gay, how do we prove it. This means innocent people may be imprisoned without ever benig able to prove their case in court. Really sad.

58. halyma isa

January 15, 2014 at 12:53 pm

So what is the difference between you and boko haram? Destroying peoples lives because you don’t agree with their lifestyle choices. This is why Nigeria will never progress. You continue to find a reason to hate and tear each other down.

• slice

January 15, 2014 at 3:01 pm

And this is what the argument is truly abt. Shd the govt be able to put someone in jail for a personal choice? Today its gay marriage, yesterday it was dress code up north. Tmw someone will say the quran requires five times a day prayer and if you’re muslim and don’t pray five times, u can be arrested. We keep giving the govt power

59. Cancel Reply

January 15, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I think most people are not seeing the bigger picture. As pointed out by a comment above, we should be VERY concerned when our government passes a law to criminalize and punish citizens based on moral and religious sentiments. Legalizing gay marriages or not, is not the fundamental issue here, it is the punitive consequences attached. Not legalizing gay marriages is comprehensible, but throwing people in jail is not only retrogressive but extremely barbaric.

What if the government decides to put a jail sentence on unmarried pregnant mothers and fornicators, would you all still be in support of the law? Also, this law is going to be abused by blood thirsty Nigerians. It will only lead to public lynching and false accusations (Remember the Aluu 4). Also, when a person is charged to court for homosexuality, how exactly will it be ascertained that this person is indeed gay? If there is no picture or video proof, how will the law prevail?

I beg you young Nigerians to look at this issue with an open mind. Put aside your sentiments and please see the bigger picture. We are a secular state and religion should not be a factor in our laws.

60. Uche

January 15, 2014 at 5:36 pm

I took my time to read this and some of the comments, despite my distaste for reading homophobic trash. ‘Africans must have sex and sex the heterosexual way.’ Right? Do we consider what happens to these gay people who are forced into unions where they are expected to have sex the heterosexual way? The unhappiness? The realization that you do not love the husband or wife you are sleeping next to? The fact that you are lying to them every day of your life? All these people who condemn the sexuality. So you want them to be straight by force, abi? Then i’d like to see how you will react if you wake up one day with the sneaking suspicion that your wife or husband really favours the same sex but married you only to escape the scourge of homosexuality.

61. L

January 15, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Err this is cool but China, Russia and Saudi have electricity 24/7, running water and decent roads tho #Priorities

62. Kina

January 16, 2014 at 10:13 am

I am not in the least bit interested in what people stick into their PRIVATE parts or where they stick it. My Private part is my prerogative. I cannot understand how any person can speak for the collective Private parts. Who died And made you God. Nigeria has the highest rate of HIV infection in the world. I can see that this happens becos Nigerians are HARD WIRED in ignorance. People should re priorities and really take care of their OWN private parts. HIV is real go and get tested, men use condoms. Women protect yourselves.

63. Bala Isa

January 16, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Well, it is no news that we are losing our identity. We have been on that trend in our music, dressing and now its our morals.
    Its sickning to see how we fight laws and quick to mention what we thing should be the law.
    Like Mr Novia said, America has forced its citizens into silence with media and intellectual prowess and brouhaha. One thing Nigerians don’t know is U.S and europe no longer have a religious or moral compass.
    Sexual pervasion and other crimes suck as gun violence has gained grounds not because Americans love it, but because politicians have used it for their personal agrandizement.
    America and their Allies in Europe has never mentioned anything to coutries that still behead or hang people for things like adultery.
    Moreso, There is a complete seperation between the church and the state. That is not the case in Nigeria.

64. John

July 27, 2014 at 7:23 am

If you have the right to be homophobic then you should have the right to be discriminated has a black man /wonanb