News

“Nigerians are so Stupid” – Nigerian Transgender Iris Sahhara Henson reacts to Same Sex Bill

BellaNaija.com

Iris Sahhara Henson - January 2014 - BellaNaija

Iris Sahhara Henson, who was formerly known as Oche, is a transgender. She is reacting to the prohibition of same sex marriage.

In case you missed the buzz, President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan signed the law prohibiting people of the same sex getting married.

In 2013, Iris, who is now a model, singer and songwriter spoke about how she was arrested, jailed for being too curvy and being thought a homosexual. She almost committed suicide.

A few hours, Iris took to her Facebook page to speak on legalizing the bill
Read;

MY HEART BLEEDS @ THIS REVELATION……….Scroll to the bottom of the news story and read the comments………Nigerians are so stupid, they rejoice at this foolish law. Yet keep shut on corruption,poverty and spiral down low on morality in Nigerian politics/society. ‘KILL GAY PEOPLE, THEY ARE NOT HUMAN’ So many lives have been ruined due to their bigotry and backwardness………….ALL THE GAY PEOPLE IN NIGERIA I KNOW ARE MARRIED TO WOMEN WITH CHILDREN IN FEAR OF PERSECUTION………Question:So all you stupid religious bigots, you hail your dumb president now, how will you feel if your daughter/sister/you(female) marry one of those gay men you chased into closet with hate…….You and that man will live the rest of your life unhappy. . . . Silly people!

1. Ndidi

January 14, 2014 at 5:43 pm

She/he is right!
    My sibling was married to one.

• idoublecrossmyheart

January 14, 2014 at 8:55 pm

SHE IS THE STUPID ONE FOR SAYING NIGERIANS INSTEAD OF SOME NIGERIANS….That her surgery or his surgery or its surgery is affecting her ability to articulate herself appropriately. She left Nigeria…WHY CANT SHE STAY TO FIGHT FOR HER PEOPLE…..

• live your life

February 2, 2014 at 3:16 am

because they will kill her

• charles wilson

March 16, 2014 at 6:39 pm

So she could be killed or ran underground with that stupidity.

• c'est moi

January 15, 2014 at 2:05 pm

i don’t think anyone should be taking advise from someone who is confused about something as simple as their sex. this point is reinforced by by her comment that all Nigerians are stupid (he once, then she after=itself inclusive). how shallow! its message could not be passed in a sensible manner instead it decided to insult everybody who does not agree with its choice of lifestyle! please Mr Oche or whatever your name is, keep your opinion to yourself. the law has been passed, your narrow-minded opinion is irrelevant. Yes, i said it!

• charles wilson

March 16, 2014 at 6:40 pm

It seems to me she is right about what she says. Nigerians are quite stupid, very stupid and should not be allowed to come to the United States. I hope the US and other countries break diplomatic ties with the barbarian nation.

2. NaijaBornMe

January 14, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Na wow oh. God help us all. Truth is a hard pill to swallow for many folks. I personally don’t believe any person can legislate morality. Fact is sperm + egg = new life. Period. I do also empathize with people who may have strong emotions,confused many a time, of who they feel attracted to. We live in a broken world that can only be mended by God. It’s a personal decision we each have to make. People will always have their opinions. There is a right way & a wrong way. We can’t have it both ways. People will do what they want to do regardless of what laws are enacted by any government, world over. Seek truth & live in it. It’s not easy “wrestling” with what the TRUE standard is but the 1 true God above will reveal Himself to all those that truly come to Him through His Son. Those who have ears to hear, hear. Those who have eyes to see, see. The writing is clearly on the wall. Peace ya’ll

• Xtsy

January 14, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Like x 100

• Bella

January 21, 2014 at 2:37 pm

me likes too x 10 billion times. Well said my dear. touché touché. Hear heat!

• I no send u

January 27, 2014 at 6:27 pm

What rubbish are u talking about? I can hardly understand what u’ve directly said or implied. So u have ended up saying nothing.

• charles wilson

March 16, 2014 at 6:42 pm

She said nothing because that is not what you want to hear. You want to hear kill the gays and you would love that. You would like to play God. I have never read in the bible where Jesus or God did to homosexuals what Nigerians are allowed to do.

3. Iyke

January 14, 2014 at 5:48 pm

My heart goes out to all the Gay/Lesbians in Nigeria and Sub-Sahara Africa. It was indeed a sad day in our nation.
    My ODE TO YOU:
    You live for you…I live for me…You live despite the pain…shame…horror and disdain of neglect…lost and found abandonment…at times that follows you.. you live knowing life will betray your trust and affection, deny you protection…forsake your best intentions…test you…break you…tease and besiege you…mistreat you…ultimately leave you…but YOU live… Living for the life in you…something bigger than yourself…a promise…a chance…care that dares to find you…rescue you…carry you beyond the trials of yourself…YOU live. Still in a world where life is ones only viable option…living to live better…make authentic choices…meaningful embraces…living for each other…collecting tomorrows… Life at it’s greatest…at it’s worst…most trying and realest…is still your best alternative…living with conviction…is your committed intention…dying to live for love and be loved.

4. Sexxie

January 14, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Easy man! Not all Nigerians are stupid. I pity the plight of you and your friends especially the ones in Nigeria but it is what it is. You all have to repent or relocate out of 9ja. Even my hair stylist has been very upset.

• Mademoiselle

January 14, 2014 at 6:15 pm

“You all have to repent or relocate”. OKAAAAYYYY, so first of all, WHO died and made YOU God?!? I have to say that I do not support homosexuality, however, that doesn’t mean that I would join in if there was an anti-gay rally just down my street. I think people need to respect others’ choices. As long as someone being gay doesn’t affect me/you personally in any way ,shape or form, let them be gay! There are worst things in the world than being gay. Starting with that Governor Yerima who thinks marrying kids is ok. How about, starting off with real issues instead of tackling gay people. People would be shouting in support of this anti–gay thing, and then go behind closed doors and unveil their real selves.
      All this higgihagga to say, ‘let he who is without sin, cast the first stone!’. ODABO!

• Stand

January 14, 2014 at 10:23 pm

You are being wishy washy. Stand for something or fall for anything. You can not be blowing hot and cold and expect to be taken seriously.

You said you don’t support homosecuality. In other worspds, you share the same opinion as the commenter , Sexcie, as regards to support of homosexuality. Only difference is, you don’t have the balls to stand by what you believe. You say let he who is without sin. We all have taken a pen or something that did not belong to us, but that had never stopped us from speaking against corruption. Stand for something! It doesnt mean you have to be intolerant, but you can sure stand boldly for something without playing both sides.

• Stand

January 14, 2014 at 10:26 pm

You said you don’t support homosexuality. In other words, you share the same opinion as the commenter , Sexxie, as regards to support of homosexuality. Only difference is, you don’t have the balls to stand by what you believe, or you are so caught up with being PC or seeming sophisticated. You say let he who is without sin. We all have taken a pen or something that did not belong to us, but that has never stopped us from speaking against corruption. Stand for something! It doesnt mean you have to be intolerant, but you can sure stand boldly for something without playing both sides.

• Mademoiselle

January 15, 2014 at 7:42 pm

@ Stand, au contraire my dear, I am standing for the fact that I don’t support homosexuality. However, it is not my place to tell people how to live their lives. There are lots of white people or dont like black people and vice versa, for example, does that now mean that they should pass a bill against interracial dating? Everyone has their preferences. I like STRAIGHT men, not under g gay men. If gay people can live their lives without obstructing mine, then I have no issue. My issue would arise if a lesbian tried to hit on me, simply for the fact that like I said, I only have an interest for STRAIGHT men.
      Thanks for your observation, but I’m merely stating my mind and not trying to appear any type of way. One last time, I don’t support homosexuality, neither do I support obstruction of basic human rights!

• shadow

January 16, 2014 at 9:10 pm

gaskia! you’ve said it all. well said jawe, sisi.

5. Marc Francis of Chelsea

January 14, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Nigerians, don’t say you didn’t know when they start
    carting off your successful phd holding medical doctor
    brother/sister/cousin/friend/uncle/aunty to jail for 14 years
    because of their sexuality. What people fail to realise now is that
    you can be straight and be framed for being gay and sent to jail.
    Isn’t it this country again? Police will stop men in a car now and
    call them gay to demand money from their hands. Politicians will
    pay boys to drug and rape their opponents and film it to use as
    blackmail for campaigns. The possibilities are endless. Besides,
    look at the speed with which they passed this irrelevant bill.
    What’s happening with Boko Haram though? Oh, another car bomb in
    the North? President Jonathan can’t jail terrorists but he wants to
    focus his energy on gays? The gays must really be reeking havoc on
    the country. Jonathan darling, very sensible.

• NEWBIE

January 14, 2014 at 9:09 pm

LMBO!! MY DEAR YOU ARE SO RIGHT

• whocares

January 14, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Police have been arresting people in Bauchi and asking them to “confess” ie torturing them into confessions of being homosexual, and to “name the gays”

• c'est moi

January 15, 2014 at 1:16 pm

@whocares Oo well, true and sad as it may seem, it is not the fault of the bill but the character and mentality of these people. If the government decides to illegalise child marriage and paedophilia tomorrow, these same police officers can also arrest an innocent man lending help to a child on suspicion of such practise so this argument holds no grounds. However the police choose to carry out their jobs should never be the basis for enacting laws.

• Marc Francis of Chelsea

January 15, 2014 at 2:48 pm

No, sorry darling, you must be stopped there. It pedophilia was made illegal today, then it would not lead to police arresting innocent men. This is because to be a pedophile, you must abuse/have relations with children. If the child cannot corroborate the story the police is trying to frame him for, then it would be clearly a frame up. Even if the child is scared to talk, a simple hymen/rape check would be able to indicate if anything happened.

With homosexuality, all I have to do is say “I saw her tasting snatch” and voila! 14 years.

• c'est moi

January 15, 2014 at 4:26 pm

@Marc Francis of Chelsea To put this to rest, this is simply a case of lack of thorough investigative process and corruption in the Nigeria Police. Anybody can be accused of anything and get jailed unjustly. My point (please read and understand) is that Laws should not be made based on whether the police are doing a good job or someone is framing another or not. That is my point! I hope this English is more comprehensible. Paedophilia is only an example.

• Stand

January 14, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Scare mongering alert! Evidence???

• whocares

January 15, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Pick up a news paper my darling.. or go online.. The Guardian is a good source.

• Leah

January 15, 2014 at 1:55 am

You are a breath of fresh air.

• c'est moi

January 15, 2014 at 1:34 pm

irrelevant bill? Firstly, one’s sexual orientation was
      never an issue as it is yours and should never be of interest to
      anyone else but people decided it was necessary to add it to their
      ‘CV’. No one goes out and says, hi, I’m James, heterosexual or
      bisexual or whatever thing you classify your sexuality to be. With
      the development of the need to make an official pronouncement of
      ones’ sexual preference, came the need for different countries to
      either stand with or against the act. You definitely do not expect
      every country to stand with the U.S or the U.K’s stance, mind you,
      despite the fact that these countries are pro-gay does not mean
      that every single person in these countries accept the bill but
      they have to live with it. Same applies to Nigeria irrespective of
      the decision reached by the government. Is it our No 1 problem? No
      but neither is any issue you raise as a problem in Nigeria as not
      one issue stands independently as no1 or number 2. They are all
      equally important from power supply to good roads and creation of
      jobs. we have more pressing issues than this bill and it is stupid
      for the government to ignore them and focus on this??? Well, so
      does the US and every country that has passed a bill regarding this
      issue. If you read the news you will see that just yesterday,
      someone shot, killed and wounded a couple at a cinema in America
      because they were texting. I believe gun violence is a more
      pressing in the US than passing gay laws but hey, they did anyway
      and I do not see Nigeria or Europe or any country prying and
      telling them what should come first or not! Every country, to his
      own; whatever they feel suits them, let them follow. Never judge
      one by the other because they are all at different stages pursuing
      different goals. If you do not like the bill, you either deal with
      it, like people in the US and UK are dealing with theirs or you
      simply MOVE! Simples!!!

• Marc Francis of Chelsea

January 15, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Your argument is senseless i.e. gun laws. Every American has to right to own a gun as long as they have a license. What they decide to do with the gun is the problem. I’m not sure what you mean by people “adding it to their CV,” and I assume that’s you trying to be funny, but I lived in Nigeria for 22 years and not once did I meet a Nigerian who said “hi, I’m gay.” Elsewhere in the world, gay people have to “put it on their CV” because they are not the majority. If you meet a man, you will assume he’s straight until he tell you otherwise.

It’s one thing to “stand against the act,” which is a PERSONAL DECISION, and another to criminalise it. There is NO REASON, other than morality, that the government would put a FOURTEEN YEAR JAIL TERM (I was in ss2 when I was 14) on the act. You are advocating for the government to jail people for that long because you find it disgusting. It is not your place to do that.

• c'est moi

January 15, 2014 at 4:17 pm

@Marc Francis of Chelsea, I have laid out my opinion without throwing insulting terms, You can express your disagreement fully without dropping terms like ‘senseless’ so please refrain. You decided to pick out a line and draw a conclusion that does not apply to the context in which the comment was made. How thoughtful? My reference to gun violence never addresses the gun laws but is only put to show that there are pressing issues too in these countries we normally use as a benchmark. That was the context that statement was used in. Go back, read and understand before commenting. Secondly, ‘CV’ is clearly in quotes to show that it is just a term that represents people’s need to declare their sexual orientation as we see these days ie sports men and celebrities declaring their sexual orientation, so you can laugh if you find it funny but drop sarcastic statements that do not apply. For your second paragraph, that is clearly your opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs. I am sure some members of the parliament were against this motion but like all civilised countries, the majority rules and the rest have to live with it. I live in the UK where whether I like it or not, this new legislature to legalise gay marriage is forced down our throats so my innocent child grows to see same sex marriage as a normal choice. If I do not like it, very simple, I relocate. Like every civilised world, the motion was brought forward, and the majority justified that it was time to legalise it and so it was! People did air their views but you do not see any one raining insults and making their tiny opinion an issue because majority carries the vote. The bill has been signed and put into Law, you either respect it, disrespect it and find yourself in jail or relocate! So don’t sit behind your computer and feel you can just throw words like ‘senseless’ that you have very little understanding of.

6. Zinachi

January 14, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Well said. I was forced to attend two weddings this
    Christmas in Lagos where the grooms were gay and in the closet. I’m
    not even talking bisexual. GAYYY! And I even know their boyfriends
    (one of them had his man as his groomsman). Who can fault them now?
    Next thing, they’ll be on BN weddings partying up. I’ve always
    said, when you suppress something inside your mind, the day it will
    finally burst out, the consequences will be disastrous. Nigeria my
    Nigeria, what your elder can see lying down, you cannot see if you
    climb the highest iroko tree. Heed your own advice. America will be
    230 years this year. They has been through the wire with wars
    inspired by hate e.g. slavery, ati gbo gbo e. Don’t say you weren’t
    warned.

• sussie

January 14, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Lmao @ d weddin. my gay cousin married last year. everyone knew but his wife and now, divorce!d iroko thing is funny too. naija is like dat child that goes to uni nd thinks he knows more dan his father. dey hve seen the kind of gbese such hateful law can hve nd so dey are trying to help us avoid such mistakes but oh no, dey r “d west”. wat do dey know right? when dem write bible na oyedepo dem give hand to hand 4 genesis. mtcheeeew!

• c'est moi

January 15, 2014 at 2:38 pm

@Zinachi and @Sussie Are you kidding me? Maybe your ‘intelligent’ mind should tell you that maybe Nigeria is not ready for this move. Maybe Nigeria should not blindly support the gay act simply because almighty U.S, that has no challenge did. You said it well that they are way older, allow Nigeria to grow gracefully, when we get to that point where we think we should take any step otherwise, the US won’t have to even give a tip before we do. Finally, maybe the US need to get off their lying backs and come to a level plain so they can see things as they really are. So before you start making comparisons and giving advice, maybe you should seek a more independent one and not one based on decisions other countries have made to suit their lifestyle.

• Stand

January 14, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I don’t support legalizing individual morality or criminalizing individual choices that in no way disrupt the society. But we can not adopt that approach on all social issues lest anarchy sets in. What do you propose should be done for the collective good in this instance, devoid of your opinion on London or elsewhere where, let’s face it, moral decadence is a problem – not Utopia as you seem to be implying.

7. Muhammad Lawal

January 14, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Look at another funny human being.

8. Voila

January 14, 2014 at 6:05 pm

all Nigerians are stupid? sorry does that include your
    parents? I seriously hate generalisations in any form, shape or
    manner! just show how ignorant this “she/he/it is. I stand with the
    decision of our law makers. soon they will be calling for
    paedophilia, bestiality, incest, necrophilia etc to be legalised !
    you wait and see!!!

• Marc Francis of Chelsea

January 14, 2014 at 6:14 pm

WHERE IS THE CONNECTION! THO? How is two grown, unrelated, consenting adults being together the same thing as a man and an animal, a woman and a small boy, a brother and sister, a man and a dead body? HOW? Show me the connection.

• nky

January 14, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I dont care wat two consenting adults do or so i thought until i caught cousins having sex and they are both married……the world has gone gaga. I told my mama but she said be quiet u are not going to be the whistle blower……incest is pervalent these days

• Titi

January 14, 2014 at 9:25 pm

If that’s your argument how come countries like america have legislated against polygamy even when consensual?

• Stand

January 14, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Extreme as some sound, they are all sexual preferences too. That is a valid connection. Why should it be okay for one person to have a particular sexual preference but not another? The only issue on which i might have agreed with you is had you said that homosexuality, as with heterosexuality, involves two consenting parties and affect no one but the two. That is why I am of the opinion that it’s not right to criminalize it unless it can be shown that it disrupts the society or harms someone other than the two in any way.

• Gogo

January 14, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Most idiotic comment ever made

• Stopping By, Showing Love

January 14, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Voila, I don’t think you understand the gravity of the situation, but in time you will. When you start to see the consequences you will. Scroll up and read MARC FRANCIS OF CHELSEA’s comment and get some insight, and that i’m afraid, will be just the tip of the iceberg.

• Stand

January 14, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Let’s stop the unproductive scare mongering already, shall we?

9. mide

January 14, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Mr Oche, not all Nigerians are as stupid as you! Nonsense!

10. naija gal

January 14, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Stupid guy used to knw him when he ws a boy, he did a programme in benue state university. He used to dress like a gal then too n no matter wat science has done to u, u r still a gal inside of u cos am sure u don’t ve a womb n also ur strong bones still remain d same n as a christian d God did not make it so from d beginning. This is d end time.

11. David Hawley

January 14, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Iris Sahhara Henson should be described as a transgender woman (if you really feel the need to include the “transgender” bit) – not a “transgender man”

12. jcsgrl

January 14, 2014 at 6:35 pm

GEJ really??? Really of all things, this is just cruel. Like LIB I too worry abt the mob mentality of nigerians. Police might not know any other law but they will enforce this one. Its truly sad

13. Pegomay

January 14, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Oche was my senior back then at GSS Bwari, he has always had that girlish image about him! I do not criticise gays/lesbians! Let’s focus on ourselves and this damn country of ours!

14. Zairebabe

January 14, 2014 at 6:48 pm

imagine the kind of egunje police will chop from this law lol. “you two boys are watching film together, you must be faggots! pay us 100k or go to jail!” its not even the men i pity cos lesbians can hide their own with makeup. all you women that are opposed to gays, may you marry a flaming princess of a man, that will look even more beautiful than you on your wedding day!!!!!! AMEN!!!!!!!!

15. molokwu peter

January 14, 2014 at 6:49 pm

everyone is entitled to his/or her opinion but i still think the anti gay law is the best decision jonathan have ever made.imagine a gay getting married to your brother.lol iris or whatever they call her name should better have a sit..www.molokwupeter.blogspot.com

• Noni

January 14, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Won’t that mean your brother is gay too? abi homosexuals can now use juju to ensnare heteros?
      I think Jonathan made a stupid decision. People have to realise that while morality and legality are sometimes linked, they are still independent concepts. Not everything (you think is) immoral should be illegal and not everything illegal is immoral. This is one of those things that should be left well alone because it has nothing to do with the government, they should face their own problems cos they have bigger fish to fry. Everyone that is screaming bible, homosexuality is not even part of the 10 commandments. If we really are that concerned with fulfilling God’s word then we should start jailing adulterers, fornicators, liars and cheats. We conveniently forget that Jesus said any of you without sin should cast the first stone in reference to the adulterous woman. Let all of the pro same sex bill people tell me that they don’t sin with impunity and then they can be the ones to put the gay person in jail with their own hands.

• Titi

January 14, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Really? So why do countries like america say it’s illegal to have sex with animals? Isint it the person’s choice? Polygamy is even illegal so….what’s your point?

• Noni

January 14, 2014 at 10:58 pm

An animal cannot speak to give consent or not. Bestiality is basically raping the animal which is why it’s illegal under ANIMAL ABUSE LAWS. Polygamy is illegal under the premise that it violates the dignity of the women and it’s a HUMAN RIGHTS ISSUE. Unless you’re going to argue that consensual sex between two humans who fully understand each other fall into a similar category, take a seat. People just open their mouth to compare things without being informed. That’s the same way some unintelligent people compare the sexual abuse of a helpless child to homosexuality. KMT.

• Stand

January 14, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Your argument holds no water because it is based on the premise that because there are some things you, maybe rightfully so, consider ills that are not being criminalized, then homosexuality, whether or not you consider it an ill (that wad not crystal clear from you post, although it sounds like you are of the opinion that it is immoral) should be left alone. I call crap on that. You say not all that is immoral is illegal. That is also an irrelevant argument because what is illegal changes when new laws are enacted, as in this case. So are you saying nothin immoral should be illegal? Stealing is illegal.

• Noni

January 15, 2014 at 3:35 am

@stand, I wasn’t sure whether I should bother replying you cos you’re not making much sense and you obviously didn’t read what I wrote that well but I figured what the hell. You say my “argument holds no water” and “call crap” on it without logically refuting any part of it. You also twist my words, I said not all that is immoral SHOULD BE (not is) illegal. If you believe something is immoral but it does not affect another person negatively in any way, it should be left alone. Simple. Stealing is only illegal because you’re depriving someone of their legal property not just because it says so in the Bible. Tell me what a gay person did to you or tell me what they’ve been doing to Nigeria that they thought it necessary to make a criminalized act. Plus, at no point did I say or imply NOTHING immoral should be illegal, I’m not sure where you got that from.
      Anyway I know all this will fall on deaf ears (or eyes). Since it seems like Nigeria is intent on slowly killing herself, tightening the noose a little bit more shouldn’t be a big deal.

• bala spencer

January 15, 2014 at 9:55 am

dis is not about sin or not dis about politics. if America and Britain did not pass their own laws on dis we will not b talking abt it. marriage is procreation…Period!

• Marc Francis of Chelsea

January 15, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Polygamy is illegal not only because it belittles the importance of women in the society but it is also not feasible for tax purposes. Bestiality involves one sensible adult and a helpless animal, hence why it is illegal. Incest is illegal because it will give rise to inbreeding, which causes birth defects in terms of genetics (uniparental disomy etc). So please, educate me on where two men and two women who are neither helpless nor related fall into this category.

No one is saying they should legalise gay marriage in Nigeria. It is the ridiculous law that was passed that is the problem. Have you read it? When you do, you will see how deeply flawed it is that we want to take a no-nonsense approach to this law. You can be jailed if you are merely suspected. We are all saying “wrong is wrong” “it is disgusting” “it is against God,” well guess what, so are A LOT of other things that do not attract lengthy jail terms. You cannot say “oh so because those are wrong and we do not jail them we should accept this one” because that in turn means you have accepted that vices like adultery, coveting, and the likes are alright. All those are heavily frowned upon in the bible.

And to the person calling me a “fear monger,” what exactly do you mean? Is what I said no possible? Were gay men not stoned to death in Bauchi? Were 165 men not arrested yesterday? It is easy to sit in your chair completely unaffected by this law and thump your bible to say “they have allowed the devil into their minds” when you really understand nothing going on in the life of a gay person.

• OB

January 27, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Peter, FYI marriage is consensual, so, if”a gay is getting married to your brother”, its because my brother wants to marry the person. The truth is that Nigeria is a poor country full of mostly low educated people. Hence most of the populace can be dribbled into thinking that we have a government that is fighting to keep our morality in check. The truth is that the most pervasive immoral activity in the country is looting of the coffers by our selected and elected leaders. If the government was serious about “saving our souls” wouldnt they deal with the main issues first? Instead of throwing something controversial to confuse us, and encourage discourse on a NON-ISSUE?!?! Theres no electricity, why am i bothered about whats going on next door, when there is no light?! When there are no government hospitals that i’d willingly walk into? When the roads are so bad that i spend most of my earnings sorting out my car?
      People wake up and smell the coffee! Divide and conquer, we all know of the teachings, but find it hard to identify it, when its happening to us all.

16. yay!!

January 14, 2014 at 7:02 pm

sorry to all the gay celebs in Nigeria….should i name names?nollywood peeps take heart

17. mimz

January 14, 2014 at 7:05 pm

I am not a Religious person as christianity isn’t about religion but about ur one on one rapour with God….so I am a christian that do not believe in hate as that alone is a sin .d Bible forces no one to do nothing let alone serve God…d Lord says I bring before u today life and death , choose life that u may live. Am just trying to say here that d creator enforces nothing on no one. But gives us grace to understand so why do humans take on d sit of God and become judgemental ? In no way am I homophobic I am not in to such kind of life at d same time I can’t treat them like puke cos in doing so I am sinning against God. they have a right to their life too .we can preach to them but don’t b so judgmental . Nigeria as a country is already homophobic now passing this law wud give air heads d right to take other pples life now .

• Stand

January 14, 2014 at 11:10 pm

The most reasonable comment against the bill on this page, in my opinion.

18. Hausa Girl in Texas

January 14, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Oche since your name means “chair” in Igbo language.
    You should find an oche somewhere and have a sit.
    Looking all ridiculous and ratchet.

• NEWBIE

January 14, 2014 at 9:11 pm

LMBO!!! Girrrl

19. lisa

January 14, 2014 at 8:21 pm

If the bible says they are going to hell. i wonder why
    everyone wants make earth hell for them.Just do your own and make
    the world a better place.Being gay dosent mean they will take your
    money or kill you.so abeg live and let live!!

20. Pearl

January 14, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Its so sad the place where priorities are placed in this
    country. We have far more pressing issues than claiming a high
    moral ground and further imposing it on adults who have a sense of
    right and wrong, a sense of choice. I hope for a day when
    law-makers will make a Law that will actually benefit us and not
    cause more harm.. E.g reducing house rent in abuja, promoting
    infrastrcuture, encouranging small businesses and so-on and not to
    give the police or the society more room to perpetuate that foolish
    hypocritical character that most of us are so guilty of…

• Titi

January 14, 2014 at 9:18 pm

For to you reducing house rent is a more pressing issue in Nigeria than a ban on gay marriage?!!!!! And you talk about misplaced priorities!

• Titi

January 14, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Meant to write so……

• Mini

January 14, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Perhaps banning gays would solve our security and development issues. I am waiting for the law on embezzlers, adulterers and fornicators as well.

21. Angel

January 14, 2014 at 8:42 pm

The white man knows exactly what he’s doing with this gay
    Propaganda, but God Almighty forbid this entering Africa,
    Especially Nigeria. Y’all don’t know there’s more to this whole
    ish. Do not follow the western world stupidly…..

22. Bro Kareem Azeez

January 14, 2014 at 9:05 pm

It’s a pity. Two wrongs can’t make a RIGHT. Silence is the best answer for a fool.

23. Charis

January 14, 2014 at 9:07 pm

The fact is, the world has gone crazy, no amount of laws passed or killings can fix the madness that is going on in this world. Its really sad, but prophecies must be fulfilled I guess *sigh*

24. NEWBIE

January 14, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Mr Iris..kam gwa gi before you take your several seats…YOU ARE STILL A MAN!!!! you only need to give your life to Christ.. i have seen and read about gay/lesbians who gave their life to Christ and turned around !!!
    God made man and woman, and made the animals sef in two’s!! you think he was so foolish to do that.
    my advice to you is to give you life to christ!!!
    it is so sad how the world has normalized gayism!!!

25. Titi

January 14, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Dear Iris, i see you are highly uninformed! Are you aware that gay people don’t like people like you who identify as transgender, they believe that you people are the ones giving them a bad rap. It’s all very mixed up isn’t it? My prayers are with you……..

26. daisy

January 14, 2014 at 9:17 pm

I do not support gay people but i don’t hate them. i think this new law is rubbish. There are people killing others all in the name of religion, poverty, bad roads and no constant electricity but Jonathan thinks this is more important. what anyone chooses to do with their life is up to them and they should be left alone to be Judged by God.
    As for this girl/guy, you really need to choose your words carefully and stop generalising. where do you think your parents are from? space?.

27. kokie

January 14, 2014 at 9:27 pm

the lobby reacheth here. Interesting

28. nene

January 14, 2014 at 9:30 pm

that is his/her business. i like the bill though this shouldn’t even be an issue when the govts attention needs to be drawn to more important issues in the country.

29. Emma

January 14, 2014 at 9:37 pm

nigeria will never be a civilized country due to their backward thinking. all proggresive nations around the world are laughing at nigeria for their anti gay stand.

30. Rhoda

January 14, 2014 at 9:41 pm

All Nigerians are not stupid Mr or whatever you call yourself! This is the best decision for our dear country!

31. Maduabuchi Chinaechetam

January 14, 2014 at 10:04 pm

I find it piteous some people actually support such evil! So we should legalize homosexuality cos some people are happy indulging in it? Very soon we should legalize terrorsim, rape, murder, because people are happy doing them. Such lasiviousness #GodSaveNigeria!

32. Yours Truly

January 14, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Not all Nigerians are stupid, girl/boy!

33. yay!!

January 14, 2014 at 10:08 pm

what’s done is done…please it’s time to move on…all the ranting here will not change what’s done and it wont change the price of garri in the market…one day at a time…step by step we’ll get it right.now that the bill has been passed…hope they focus on the Boko Haram/security issues.

34. Dee

January 14, 2014 at 10:09 pm

A law adopted somewhere might not necessarily fit or work somewhere else.Like they say one man’s poison is another’s meat.Even in d US where their president is in support,been gay isn’t legalised in all the states.For those saying there is nothing wrong with dt way of life,its easier said when you aren’t affected directly.wait till a close relative of us say your sibling or child come home with a same sex partner and see if ur opinion remains the same.

35. Amh

January 14, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Please do not follow the evil white,an mentality. We don’t need them too dictate how we run our country. Sahara or gar aha you are stupid, omo ale nie. Homosexuality had been inherent in the northern culture but it is subdued and silent. We don’t need useless colonial white an to turn our country into their cray ray world again. If you are gay, keep it to yourself for decency and the sake of our children. I personally believe it’s a disease. We don’t want to be seeing boys kissing each other it’s wrong.

36. Mimi

January 14, 2014 at 11:44 pm

I’m confused at the language of this article. Is this Iris person dead or alive? It states that they committed suicide but then goes on to say they commented on the recent legalization of this bill. Which one?

37. Mrs Lynxxx

January 15, 2014 at 12:17 am

I honestly have nothing against gays and I’m indifferent about this bill. It is ok for you to disagree with something, but when you decide to force it down peoples throats, then it becomes an issue. Please, is this not the same America that about 20 years ago had commercials on TV warning people about gays? All of a sudden now they are all about sexual equality and whatnot.

Please and please, Americans should leave us alone in Africa. Next thing you know, they would legalize beastiality and even allow marriages between man and animal. I see this day coming.

38. Ib

January 15, 2014 at 2:14 am

In cases like this I ask,What would Jesus do ?

39. jubilej

January 15, 2014 at 2:52 am

The only stupid pple and hypocrites are those in support of this silly,senseless thing called GAY LAW>>>>We have so much copied the western way of life that we cant even thing aright.,..it is not OUR way of life for man and man to fuck……GULLIBLE onces are crying and saying nonsense…..let the USA and the BRITISH also make POLOGAMY legal…..they cant because it not there way of life….if you a VEXED GO JOIN THEY FOR THERE COUNTRY….BUT FOR HER….NA MAN TO WOMAN….Most of this hypocrite are not really after human right but there own selfish interest….

40. Hausa Girl in Texas

January 15, 2014 at 5:23 am

Africans don’t tell the western countries
    What they should and shouldn’t do.
    Why should they go crazy if we don’t
    Stupidly obey their commands
    This was all over CNN, like it’s a breaking
    News.

41. African Man

January 15, 2014 at 6:00 am

This has to be my favourite reaction to the anti same-sex bill. ‘Nigerians are so Stupid’ – plain and simple…and so true.

42. haba

January 15, 2014 at 6:36 am

Dis she-boy u don 4get say u b nigerian. Dey dere dey wear g-string. I dont support legalising gay but my question is: did dey fight 4 it 2 b legal?

43. haba

January 15, 2014 at 6:37 am

D world is coming to an end.

44. tadesam

January 15, 2014 at 8:09 am

Look,this is Nigeria and if you’re in a place,you must respect thier values and rules.We have values and believes in Nigeria and if you cant keep that then, you could seek asyllum or citizenship in any of those countries that share your believes or views.
    Just because your parents failler in thier responsibilities is no ground to legalise thier faillure in a country of 160 million people.Yes,we say our leaders are corrupt and are so and so yet,no one came out to legalised thier corrupt activities.Or do you now say because you enjoy sleeping with your mother,rape politcian daughters,kidnap senator’ father,impregnante governor’ wife and kill for ritual then it should be legalised because we want to please you and your father’ house? Just because some insignificant number of people decided to do evil is no ground why the entire Nation should legalise it.I have bad habits I do that are evil before GOD, but I have not walked to the house of assembly or MR. PRESIDENT for it to be legalised. henson or oche or what ever he or she calls his or her name, our elders are not stupid,what they see seating can never be seen by you standing in your life time.
    Because Our daddy and President, MR. EBELE GOODLUCK JONATHAN as done this singular act by approving the anti-gay bill, I shall personally encourage my loved ones to cast thier vote for HIM come 2015 if HE decides another term.I almost lost confidence in MR. PRESIDENT until HE suprised Me that HE could actually hold the bull by its horn. GOD Bless PRESIDENT EBELE GOODLUCK JONATHAN and ALL those who contributed to the realisation of this Bill and GOD Bless NIGERIA in JESUS name! NOTE: We have MANY Better Models,singer and song writer in NIGERIA who were and are well brought UP!

45. tadesam

January 15, 2014 at 8:16 am

Because Our daddy and President, MR. EBELE GOODLUCK JONATHAN as done this singular act by approving the anti-gay bill, I shall personally encourage my loved ones to cast thier vote for HIM come 2015 if HE decides another term.I almost lost confidence in MR. PRESIDENT until HE suprised Me that HE could actually hold the bull by its horn. GOD Bless PRESIDENT EBELE GOODLUCK JONATHAN and ALL those who contributed to the realisation of this Bill and GOD Bless NIGERIA in JESUS name! NOTE: We have MANY Better Models,singers and song writers in NIGERIA who were and are well brought UP!

46. bala spencer

January 15, 2014 at 9:42 am

stop copying foreign sexual perversions this is how the west gave us hiv and told us it came from eating monkey. And people like this he/she believe dat. stop copying what does not mk sense!!!

47. Ninethchord

January 15, 2014 at 10:12 am

Ok! This is no longer getting any interesting,at first I thought No gay fellow will have the gut to speak in the public about themselves. What are we even Talking about like seriously,we don’t even need to revert to any religious guideline or whatever, the thought of this makes me angry.
    There is no other name to call this, it’s a SIN, paint it whatever, it is morally,culturally Wrong, a GREAT SIN……….making reference to our society being corrupt already , well WE won’t STILL say because Nigeria is filled with corruption now give SAME-sex marriage room amongst us… AS for Iris, think of Us as Stupid,We’l see who is really STUPiD in the End…

48. Omo1

January 15, 2014 at 12:32 pm

As I read through these comments, it dawned on me how far gone we are into the end time. We should not forget one of the reasons God destroyed the immoral city Sodom and Gomorrah..men lying with men..and they even sought to sleep with the Angels sent as messengers. Call me old school or religious..but wrong is wrong, no matter how good it is made to look now..would we rather go against God’s own standard to please man?!pitiful!

• L

January 15, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Actually many of the arguments aren’t against the bill itself. Nigerian politicians, have the right to introduce whatever laws they please so long as they are legal. So, making homosexual acts illegal is fine- they are not the first country to do such. The main argument which I stand by is that harassing gays should not be a priority for our leaders. In 2014 there is still no stable electricity flow. Roads are a disgrace and unemployment is ridiculous. Our airport, the gateway to the country is an embarrassment. Bribery and corruption and last but not least religious extremism are pressing problems. Considering all these points- doesn’t it make more sense for GED to throw himself into tackling these more pressing issues, which actually affect the average Nigerians lives daily?! Homosexuality has been around since Bibilical times, yes it contrdicts the word of God but it will still continue to be around regardless of this silly law- when they don’t have CCTV lol?! Please let’s encourage our leaders to focus and prioritise 🙂

49. omo

January 16, 2014 at 12:26 am

It breaks my heart to see how far this world has fallen so far from God. The more reason I believe the end is really near! This GAY issue has become a worldwide cancer, it will keep spreading and there will be no cure. All we need to do as Christians is to pray for them, keep reaching out to them in love with God’s words rather than judging or alienating them or even being mean to them. I use to get angry when I see gay people, but all that changed one day. I started paying more attention to gay people when they speak. I began to realize the GAY issue is deeper than we can see physically… every time i talk with gay people and i look them in the face or look into their eyes. I see LOST SOULS and they truly need JESUS!
    Sin is sin! whether someone is a prostitute, an arm robber/ thief, murderer, GAY or LESBIAN, Transgender or even a pastor who fornicates with church members. NO EXCEPTION! Sin is sin… they all need the LORD and they need to repent!

• Precious

January 21, 2014 at 11:42 am

You said it all my dear. These are the inevitable signs of the end time. Christians must watch and pray.

50. Loveth.O.

January 16, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Omo on Point

51. NNENNE

January 17, 2014 at 3:55 am

Nigerians are just follow,follow .IF THE WEST START FEASTING ON SHIT TODAY , SOME NIGERIANS WOULD FOLLOW. Dare to ask them why and the only answer they will give you would be the white man is doing it , it is en vogue and okay.
    My fellow Nigerians ,it is ok to be different.
    African linage and kinship does not tally with homosexuality.Most of the west does not have linage so gay does nothing to their family structure.
    We must not always have to do things because they are doing it.

52. oola

January 17, 2014 at 6:38 am

Well!
    I really do not understand why every move the USA makes must be made/initiated in all other parts of the world…. Before I continue, I’d like to say about 33 states in USA do not support Gay Marriage (yea I know the issue here is ‘Gay Rights”)…amongst many other developed nations
    So What’s my point? If we have to tow the USA way, lets start with a dialogue/poll on who wants a ‘Pro-gay’ law passed and who do not keeping in view Human Rights.
    Plus to be honest we have a lot of issues to deal with and the .gay propaganda . is not one.
    Intolerance goes both ways…both the straight and gay have their fears and woes and lives! to protect…Accepting a “way of life” is a gradual process. Trust me we have loads of “epidemics” to deal with…the gay law is not even tenable at the moment esp for a nation dealing with accepting Pedophilia.

Sahhara should just call out the remaining states in USA yet to accept ‘Gay Marriages”… instead of creating some attention scene like most people who do not understand the ‘Nigerian state” in lieu of Homosexuality.

53. Lolo

February 7, 2014 at 3:50 pm

@Iris Sahhara Henson – i.e. including your parents

54. Bunny Rabbit

May 22, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Bullshit’ Absolute Nonsense. Allow me put better tenses to ur sense or sentence. U sound more of Deceit, hatred nd selflessness, proudly mis leading the youth. You feel its haven to live off of God? Hell and a Terrible Judgement Awaits you if u don’t change And Ask God To Forgive You*

55. amebo

July 10, 2014 at 11:36 pm

*sips alomo*

56. kanni

July 29, 2014 at 10:36 am

Oche, Clifford… I told a guy who likes any kind of women about you. I said you are now a woman. Iris Saharra…. He replied and said no no no. He will never like an artificial woman. So that is the point. Better you go back to be oche again. Once Oche is always Oche. OOOOOOOOSHE