News

Read the Tribute by the Afrinolly Short Film Competition Team to Komla Dumor

Komlar Dumor - January 2014 - BellaNaija
The sad passing away of BBC’s Komla Dumor has been very emotional for thousands of people. Asides being a broadcaster, Komla also accepted the role of a judge in the ongoing Afrinolly Short Film Competition. The team has written a short tribute to Komla. They have also announced that the announcement of the list of winners for the competition will be postponed, in honour of Komla Dumor.
***
A powerful storyteller with a very unique voice, BBC’s Komla Dumor represented the best of African broadcasters. We join the world in mourning one of Africa’s illustrious sons, a true gentleman, a man of foresight and a consummate professional who is passionate about anything that will further the progress of our continent; Africa, especially her youths.

Komla accepted to be a judge on the Afrinolly Short Film Competition without even getting to meet any member of the Afrinolly Team in person just because he was excited about what it means to African Filmmakers; that is the kind of person he is. As a judge, Komla was instrumental in selecting the finalists, in his words “Guys, I have finished reviewing the films and I must say all of them deserve commendation for the effort. Bringing it down to ten was difficult”.

We are awed by your simplicity, challenged by your vision to accurately tell African stories. We will miss your friendship, encouragement and support. Though we would have loved to have you around for years to come and especially for the closing ceremony of the Afrinolly Short Film Competition but God knows best. We will always carry you in our hearts.

Our condolences go to his family, friends, colleagues at the BBC and the people of Ghana who have lost a husband, father, brother, friend, mentor and son. Our prayers go to all who would miss this great son of Africa.

Adieu Komla! Rest In Peace

Komla with the Afrinolly Short Film competition team – October 2013

In honour of Komla Dumor, Afrinolly hereby postponse the scheduled announcement of winners in the Afrinolly Short Film Competition Season 2 to Thursday 23rd January 2014.

1. maame

January 20, 2014 at 5:11 pm

hmmmmmmmm we lost an icon met him only once for just five
    to ten seconds and i must he was a gentleman. his wife and children
    in my prayers, may he find eternal rest with the Lord

2. maame

January 20, 2014 at 5:15 pm

he made me proud as a ghananian when i saw him on the TED
    platform. we will sure miss him demerifa due komla. adieus my
    country man. than bella for celebrating our hero

3. no heart to hate

January 20, 2014 at 5:41 pm

May his soul Rest in peace

4. Mama Mia!!!

January 20, 2014 at 6:15 pm

What!!! I’m confused… I must have been living under the
    rock… when did this happen?

5. Rox

January 20, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Komla’s father wanted him to become a Doctor, but he followed his dream to become a broadcaster, even-though he is gone soon, he left a legacy for we the African youth to believed in ourselves, and pursue our dream… Efo Komla hede nyuie

6. Yetty

January 20, 2014 at 6:40 pm

My very first encounter with him was the vidoe of his
    rpesentation at the TEDex event. He made me proud as an African and
    you coulod edcue from his presentation that he did a lot of
    homework and research to have ome up with such. I was impressed and
    initially thought he was a Nigerian (cos he looked so mouch like
    one) until during his presentation when he mentioned it (like he
    knew what was on my mind). May God grant him eternal rest. Amen.
    Very shocking news though.

7. SaraLys

January 20, 2014 at 6:59 pm

So sad!! I am not from Ghana but, I am in deep pain for my brothers and Sisters from Ghana and from all of Africa who knew him in a way or another. RIP !! So sad.. My son in London called me to tell me, I was crying.. because he knew I admire him. Oh! Life.. Even Komla was surprised by this death he was not expecting it. May the Gold doors of paradise be opened widely for you.

8. ASEYE

January 20, 2014 at 7:37 pm

komla, i believe heaven feels better. you ve done ur part. may we learn from your works. sleeptight

9. Mz Socially Awkward...

January 20, 2014 at 8:58 pm

He truly left his mark, not just as a proud African pursuing the path he was passionate about but also in the lives of many young people. What a sad loss.

10. nene

January 20, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Very sad…

11. I see friends shaking hands, saying how do you do? They're really saying I love you

January 21, 2014 at 12:20 am

🙁

12. God is so powerful

January 21, 2014 at 1:38 am

I am so saddened by his death and I pray that wherever he is, let it be the place you prefer than this world! Komla’s death was even a surprise to him ! When he covered the death of Mandela if someone had told him you would be gone exactly in a month and 12 days after Mandela he would have never believed it! Imam not from Ghana but I am so touched so,touched by his death! I had been praying for him since the moment I’ve heard it! Death itself is so selfish because it does give you sometimes the time to say goodbye to your loved ones! Oh Komla may the angels of paradise welcome you highly! You have truly touched my heart and those of my boys who live in London. I am a mother myself so I pray for you Komla. Life is so short and sometimes we are so eager to succeed , to,get nice houses, cars, PhD , traveling, prestige etc!! But, to,think of it sometimes I say it is not even worth it ! Because all what we have we will just leave it here the only thing that will count is our legacy the good things the love we had: brothers and sisters from Africa and around the world : let’s love each other and support each other: all,over the world today all,what people,say about KOMLA: he was kind, he was humble, he had the most contagious smile thT is all we hear and that is the best legacy !! No one said he was rude or arrogant or wicked! Even when you see him one could tell he Was kindhearted!
    RIP KOMLA ! You are gone but we shall never forget you! Love and peace always.

A mother

13. Grown Woman

January 21, 2014 at 7:38 am

Oh my nothing is truly permanent in this world.May his soul continue to rest in eternal peace.Amen

14. Tobe

January 21, 2014 at 8:54 am

I was sleeping and immediately I woke Up…my girlfriend told me, Komla Dumor is Dead! For a split of a minute, I shouted…She knew I really liked him…i had introduced her to His Ted Talk and we both subscribed to his Facebook page…we even watched some of the Afrinolly films…like the one from Nigeria, Sarahology, directed by DJ Tee…Clear the Bush!!!

Still don’t know how to react…but he was a gentleman and a true African at heart! Farewell…my Brother!

15. Chudy Maduegbuna

January 21, 2014 at 4:30 pm

I pick interest on him after Afrinolly interview on BBC his last post on FB is so touching Death did not go the right direction this time A young man is good at his job doing the whole of Africa proud What do I say but Rest in Peace bro