News

Aww! Fifi & Dilly Umenyiora share their Fairytale Love Story with ThisDay Style

BellaNaija.com

You can’t help but love Fifi and Dilly Umenyiora‘s love story.

From meeting at The Palms Mall, Lekki – she was working there, to how they keep their romantic fire burning, this couple’s story may appear to have been taken from a romance novel.

When Fifi and Dilly step on the red carpet, they complement each other, so it wasn’t a surprise the couple looked picture perfect on the cover of latest issue of ThisDay Style.

This Day Style - February 2014 - BellaNaija 01

The Luxury car salesman, his wife and their three children live in arguably one of the most beautiful homes in a Lagos.

Fifi & Dilly Umenyiora's House - February 2014 - BellaNaija 01 Fifi & Dilly Umenyiora's House - February 2014 - BellaNaija 02 Fifi & Dilly Umenyiora's House - February 2014 - BellaNaija 03

The couple share all the scoop on life, love and still being crazy in love with editors – Funke Babs-Kufeji and Konye Chelsea Nwabogor.

This Day Style - February 2014 - BellaNaija 02Dilly Umenyiora
What does Valentine’s Day mean to you?
“I see it as a day mapped out to share and show love to the one you love. It’s an official calendar day to celebrate love. Personally though, I think Valentine day should be every day because for me, “Valentine day” is everyday I spend with my family.”

How did you celebrate it last year and what are your plans for this year?
“Last year, we went on a tour of Europe, just the two of us, it was a beautiful trip, and very romantic too. This year, I’m working on an amazing surprise for my wife, and I know she will be very happy.

If you were to pick an ideal holiday spot to spend Valentine’s Day, where will you go and why will it be your preferred choice?
“If I were to pick a spot right now, it would be the Caribbean Cruise, where Fifi and I can sail past some of the most beautiful islands on earth, and basically enjoy nature and ourselves.”

Dilly FifiLet’s talk about Fifi. How did you meet her and what were some of the qualities that attracted you to her?
“I met my wife Fifi, at the Palms Shopping Mall. When I first set my eyes on her, all I saw was a very beautiful woman. Prior to that, I had seen her at her workplace but felt a bit intimidated and could not summon the courage to speak to her. Anyway, I walked up to her and introduced myself. I would never forget the look on her face when I asked her if she thought I was handsome…(Laughing) priceless! It was at that moment I discovered she was a harmless, most down to earth woman I had ever met.”

So was it love at first sight?
“Yes, it was definitely love at first sight.”

How did you know that she was the one you wanted to marry?
“The moment I saw Fifi, I knew she was the woman I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, when you know, you know. As a matter of fact I didn’t hesitate to tell her that day that she was going to be my wife.”

In your opinion, what’s the best thing about being married?
“For me, the best thing would be companionship. You want to be with that one person that you can do absolutely everything with, that one person you can do absolutely everything with, that one person that is your best friend , gist-mate, lover, girlfriend, sister, wife and mother to your kids. Being married to my best friend gives me something to look forward to every blessed day.”

Now that you have a little bit of experience under your belt, what advice would you give to a young man who is about to walk down the aisle?
“My most honest advice would be not to get married unless you are absolutely ready. If not, you will have a lot of unnecessary loopholes and bumps along the way. Also make sure you get married to your friend, because on the long run, friendship is what will continuously bind you together.”

You probably would say that you’re not the same person as compared to when you got married; do you feel growing into your adulthood as a married man made the transition more or less challenging?
“The transition was so much less challenging because of the woman I married. True I got married at a young age, but I married my best friend. We were both young so we made the transition together. When you are in love, and have the support of your partner, it is a lot easier.”

This Day Style - February 2014 - BellaNaija 04

Fifi Umenyiora
How did you meet Dilly and what attracted you to him?
“I met Dilly in Palms Shopping Mall, Lekki, where I used to work. I had previously seen him around and at the time told my colleague that I had just seen the most handsome man ever. Well, he walked up to me, we got talking and I still clearly remember him asking, “Do you think I am handsome?” the most unbelievable question ever! He sure didn’t like my answer because I told him he was just OK. I also remember him saying he was going to marry me. From that moment we became inseparable.”

How long have you both been married and how have you both been able to sustain the warm, loving, caring relationship you share?
“We have been married for five years now and we have only come this far by the grace of God. He is the only third party in our marriage. We also are best friends and we complement each other like two peas in a pod. He understands me even when I am silent and same goes for me.”

What does Valentine’s Day mean to you?
“I love anniversaries and so Valentine’s Day for me is extremely very important. It’s a day to share and receive love. It’s a day to show your loved ones how much you care. It is a celebration of love, not only to the opposite sex, but also to your entire family, friends, and the poor, needy and also motherless babies.”

What is the most romantic Valentine’s Day gesture your husband has ever made towards you?
“It’s so hard to pick out which is the most romantic of all, but if I were to pick one it would be last year when he surprised me with an impromptu trip, he asked me not to pack anything because he had arranged for everything I would need on the trip. It was amazing and totally romantic.”

If you were to pick an ideal holiday spot to spend valentine day, where will you go and why would it be your preferred choice?
If I were to pick a spot, it would be Parasidus Punta Cana resort in the Dominican Republic. It’s a beautiful and exclusive report.

In three words, describe what your husband means to you?
“He is my rock, my best friend and the love of my life.”

If you could change one thing about him what would it be?
“I would not change a thing about him because I accepted him, warts and all. Every little piece of him makes him who he is, so I cannot change what I fell in love with in the first place.”

What little things do you do for each other to keep the romance alive?
“We take frequent short trips out of town to get away from daily pressures and to rekindle our love. When we are not together we constantly keep tabs on each other to make sure we are okay. We don’t fail to say, “I love you”, at every little opportunity. That’s literally part of us now. We also pray together, there is no greater bond than when a couple hold hands together to pray. We surprise each other with little gifts too. Not necessarily expensive gifts, it’s the thought that counts. We are very honest with each other as that’s very key in a relationship. We also love to dress up and go out on dates and, lastly we constantly pay each other compliments. It’s a very secure feeling when your partner compliments your looks. It is indeed very uplifting.”

On the issue of love, relationship and marriage, what’s the best advice you have ever been given? And who was it from?
“In marriage don’t ever let in third parties, marriage is a triangle and the person at the head of this triangle is God. If you let the head go, the triangle collapses. So let God constantly be the only 3rd wheel in your marriage. I got this advice from the bishop that presided on our wedding day.”

What are your feelings about the highly pressurized feeling that comes over some people at Valentine’s Day through commercialism?
“Well in our world of today, Valentine’s Day has been fully exploited and commercialised, we are slowly losing the real essence and significance of it. It has overtime become a period for brands and retailers to market their goods. Men are under the pressure not to “slack”, while some ladies are prepared to fight if their gifts are not up to expected standards. This shouldn’t be the case as there should be no pressure or competition in love. It is the thought that counts. Sometimes we become so lost in our selfish needs and pressures that we forget there are other people out there only in need of a hug.”

For our male readers looking for last minute gift ideas and ways to impress a sweetheart or a special woman in their life, do you have any advice on what they can do?
“Well there are so many things out there they can do. It all depends on one’s taste, lifestyle or emotional needs. I am sure if you’ve studied your spouse or lover you would definitely know what would make her smile.”

If you had at that moment now where you could just do anything what would be the one thing you’d go for?
“I would adopt a baby to join my 3 biological kids.”

What are your 5 top tips to keep the romance alive in a relationship?
“Be affectionate and pay each other compliments. Go on weekend getaways, or trips out of town. Take baths together. Be honest to each other. Send love or romantic texts or emails to each other even when you’re both in the same room – communication is key.”

To read the complete interviews, look for last Sunday’s edition of ThisDay Style.
Photo Credit: Reze Bonna for ThisDay Style

1. Geebabe

February 12, 2014 at 9:34 am

So sweet. But what makes it a Cinderella story?

• AMY

February 12, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Did I miss something? Where does it say Cinderella story? Or is it “fairytale” you interpret to mean “cinderella”?

• AMY

February 12, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Oh sorry, looks like BN changed it before I read it. My apologies.

• slice

February 12, 2014 at 9:57 pm

my dear, it was sweet to me too until i read the other comments…that he’s wanted for crimes and has some fraudulent activity in his past. BN, abeg is this true? and if it is, why are we celebrating the guy? do you know something the other folk don’t know

• Ann

February 15, 2014 at 10:58 pm

It is true my dear! Google is your friend, look him up and read his story.

2. Nelly Agbogu'weight loss blog

February 12, 2014 at 9:35 am

awww love such stories …

itwillendinpraise.com

3. Troll

February 12, 2014 at 9:38 am

Niggaz a hottie… Dayum! I remember the gossip that followed them around when they first got married. Glad to know that they’re still together and going strong.

4. lucy tracy

February 12, 2014 at 9:38 am

how sweet….. *love struck*

5. Hannah

February 12, 2014 at 10:16 am

nice story. But BN, why Cinderella story? why not fairy-tale story? or a love tale? because i wondered if she was poor before she meet a rich prince charming, or did she have a poor job at the palms?

• Tish

February 12, 2014 at 11:02 am

BN goofed here. Please “do the needful” and change it. Cinderella story is patronising.

6. http://www.anemistyle.com

February 12, 2014 at 10:16 am

Flipping Gorgeous couple.

7. no heart to hate

February 12, 2014 at 10:21 am

So Cute

8. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

February 12, 2014 at 10:45 am

I support getting married young because your personalities are not fully formed and there is time to grow and fuse into each other. Marrying much later, compromising becomes difficult because we are too set in our ways. However, prevailing realities and personal prejudice would not easily permit this.

P.S Is that their house? Like fully-owned-built-by-them kind of house? Wow! It is so unconventional. C’est magnifique!

• koko

February 12, 2014 at 12:55 pm

funny,ive never heard that point of view as a reason to get married but it totally makes sense to me!

• Peaches77

February 12, 2014 at 1:11 pm

I agree. I have always argued in this line knowing my kind of person.

• Chic

February 12, 2014 at 2:00 pm

You do make sense but the problem with marrying young especially too young is most times the couple are not psychologically and emotionally mature to handle the pressures that come with marriage, children and in laws at that age. I saw this from my friends who married very young one at 21 she would pack her bags every single time she and her husband had an argument, pout till kingdom come for even the flimsiest of arguments only calm down and unpack when both parents had intervened. The other one married at 23 (male) would go to sleep over at his mum’s house each time he had an argument with his wife and had to be begged to go home to her even when he was mostly the one who caused the argument. Another one was still club hopping every single night forgetting that he was now a married man and could not quite kick it with the boys like he used to. Whereas a more mature bride/groom who has seen and experienced life, maybe gone through several relationships is better equipped to handle the challenges that come with marriage than a younger bride/groom.

• Purpleicious Babe

February 12, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Makes sense but it is not one size fits all.
      There are some grown men and women that still fight and argue like immature teenagers and some young ones that act much older. While the argument is sound, it is not always the case in everything.

I champion individuals with clear motives and intentions. Now that a start even then sef. So in conclusion, let God be the centre. xx

Fine Hot couples o with great tips.

lifeinstagesdoz.blogspot.co.uk/

• Bleed Blue

February 12, 2014 at 2:06 pm

This philosophy works for me too. Based on personal experience (I got married a bit young) I know if I was unmarried now, it would have been much more difficult to accept a partner for who he is and go with the flow. At the time I got married, I was very much like Fifi, 100% accepting of him, “warts and all”. And so far so good…

My pals who are single are dead set in their list of what they can take and cannot take. Absolutely no compromises allowed.

I agree there can never be a “one size fits all” approach to these things but I’m thankful I got to grow up with the hubs.
      Oh…and this couple right here…beautiful! Demmit men!

• omada

February 12, 2014 at 6:43 pm

funny, i’ve known some people who married really young and grew apart… there are no formulars really, it comes down to the individuals involved…

• slice

February 12, 2014 at 9:45 pm

for some, it’s easier when they are older because they’ve seen “it all.” They know your constant farting doesn’t mean the sun won’t rise tomorrow. lol

9. Nneks

February 12, 2014 at 10:55 am

Such a beautiful couple…a bit jealous..:)

Wish you more successful and happy years in your marriage

10. Simsi

February 12, 2014 at 10:59 am

I ♥ their house!!!!!!! Beautiful couple

11. bluejeans

February 12, 2014 at 11:05 am

Fifi and I have sth in common

• i no send

February 12, 2014 at 11:56 am

@ bluejeans and what might that be?… say it

• Iris

February 12, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Me too. I’m a girl, my last name is Igbo, I’ve worn a brown weave, I’ve been to the Palms, if I could I would also adopt after having my own kids. I’d go on but I’m not a petty winner. My five things trump your one thing. BN where’s my gift ? 🙂

• Iris

February 12, 2014 at 4:18 pm

O wait, I just realised who he is. Err…yea what do you and his wife have in common?

12. adelegirl

February 12, 2014 at 11:06 am

I see the USA which also has beautiful holiday destinations (Hawaii anyone) isn’t on their list… Hehehehe. Issokay… Cute meeting story though. But mehn they are both very goodlooking! I hope their kids take after them cos children of such exquisite looking people have a way of not quite erm taking after their parents’ best features.

February 12, 2014 at 11:24 am

Onye ilo!!

• Uche

February 12, 2014 at 12:02 pm

@Adelegirl, am so sorry for you!!!!!…………….. onye ilo proper

• Chic

February 12, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Looooooooooooooooooooool you are a bad girl hahahahahaha mehn I remember the nyash opening that accompanied comments on the photos of his house when they were first published you go fear frenemies!

• adelegirl

February 12, 2014 at 12:34 pm

@ yes and uche, please be sorry for yourselves! *tongue out!* What did I say sef, biko I talk anytin? *bats lashes innocently*

• Donald-Landon

February 12, 2014 at 3:36 pm

He is on the AMWFL so I doubt he will be visiting the USA any time soon.

• Temto

February 12, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Omg! This comment made so much sense AFTER I googled him! BN commenters no go kill person…

• Purpleicious Babe

February 12, 2014 at 9:45 pm

True talk… was about to say I hope their children are fineeee then I was like hmmm maybe dont say that. lol.
      It seems mean sha. Children are blessings still. x

13. Dr. N

February 12, 2014 at 11:24 am

Should I tell my friends to look for work at The palms? See money! Lol. That house is hot! Perharps she was not in an exec position there. Really lovely couple. That house is yummy. Nice.

drnsmusings.wordpress.com

14. Dr. N

February 12, 2014 at 11:25 am

Should I tell my friends to look for work at The palms? See money! Lol. Perharps she was not in an exec position there. Really lovely couple. That house is yummy. Nice.

drnsmusings.wordpress.com

15. Grown Woman

February 12, 2014 at 11:26 am

what a gorg couple wow wow…..God bless your marriage n home.

16. Vics

February 12, 2014 at 11:34 am

Beautiful couple. But c’mon guyz d questions tho. Why do people like asking what a man will do for a woman and what d woman gets not what she does as well? Is vals day only about what d man can do…shouldn’t it be a 2 way thing? This is why many guyz feel burdened and treat women any how they like. FYI: I am a woman

• HomieHomie

February 12, 2014 at 12:00 pm

LOL….FYI: I am a woman…..*dead*

17. Jo!

February 12, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I’m actually in shock here. Like for real? Wondering what this couple is trying to achieve with this interview.
    And I have a feeling BN is MAJORLY censoring comments.

• Chic

February 12, 2014 at 12:19 pm

They sure are!

• adelegirl

February 12, 2014 at 12:40 pm

I guess an “It is well” is appropriate here. Besides this is Nigeria, almost anything goes as long as you are very rich… it sure helps to be beautiful too… #whitewashthings

• YO!

February 15, 2014 at 4:13 pm

we are not the ones that interviewed them so direct that question to Thisday style because they are the ones that knew exactly why they were interviewed ,so stop asking silly questions,if you have nothing to say just shut it!

18. Adaeze

February 12, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I love that quote “I’ll adopt a baby to join my three biological kids” Nice couple. May God continue to strengthen their love. Amen.

19. Miss_Flygerian

February 12, 2014 at 1:32 pm

That’s Osi Umenyiora’s brother. Their father is the Igwe of my village. (Ogbunike, Anambra)

hehe *famzing mode activated*

20. jennie jasco

February 12, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Cool couples o! Never knew they’d get to this peak so soon,the isiwu family got beautiful girls tho i hope my friend obioma isiwu gets a more handsome husby than her sister’s!

21. A-nony

February 12, 2014 at 2:21 pm

BN is def censoring comments on this post cuz they know the truth about this guy and the root of his money. Okwudili Umenyiora.

22. yets

February 12, 2014 at 6:18 pm

ok nah, jst ‘googled’ him, lips sealed……….cute couple tho.

23. omada

February 12, 2014 at 6:47 pm

ha….some of these comments… *phew*

24. Love me Love me

February 12, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Maybe reformed? Hopefully

• Tincan

February 12, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Innit? There’s a lot of putting God first soooooooooooooooooo *lipsealed*

25. nene

February 12, 2014 at 10:01 pm

ha. this boy’s tory is long but al least his wife loves him. he’s a handsome boy like his brother osita. would love a fine, tall igbo man for a husband, without the fraud and all that shit.

26. nene

February 12, 2014 at 10:02 pm

looks like fife has had some sort of facial surgery or is it photoshop? hmmn

27. Olah

February 12, 2014 at 11:23 pm

How can someone just run away from Yankee as a fugitive? Lolll do you think it is like Naija. This man has served his time the issue happened years ago, he was young and he made some wrong decisions. If truly his wealth is not clean, how come he is just building a house now , how come he is just buying his dream car? This is one of the most hardworking, intelligent human being, nobody is perfect you will be shocked at what the likes of Aliko, even bill gate sef have done in the past. We label people and dont see beyond. Am sure he has his faults but hey who doesn’t. They are beautiful let’s leave it at that.

• slice

February 13, 2014 at 12:13 am

lmao so you guys posted this comment from 11:23p but somehow missed the following from 9:57p. shior yeye dey smell.

28. Nwanne

February 13, 2014 at 12:39 am

Na wa o! These ppl again! Fifi doesn’t learn, puts their biz out there! Bn must be sensoring a lot today hehe everyone knows his story on google. Since we are in internet age, talk about a lifetime of dirt. I will take my nice quiet life and hubby any day

• YO!

February 15, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Yes Fifi doesn’t learn idiot!,so she should go and hide her face in shame or live quietly like you because of what happened in the “past”….if God has forgiven them and given them a good life,who are you to judge???who are you even to question anything???are u God?????…i just dont understand how human beings can spew such hate!!!!!!…why not quietly live the life God has given to you and leave others to live theirs,on the judgement day,God will not call u and fifi and her family to answer query,you will answer it alone!!Learn people!!! learn!!!

• tobiloba

March 1, 2014 at 1:42 am

you shouldn’t insult anyone. everyone is entitled to their opinions. btw, do you work for BN? why the ‘we’ in the previous comment?

29. Nwanne

February 13, 2014 at 12:39 am

Hehe everyone knows his story on google. Since we are in internet age, talk about a lifetime of dirt. I will take my nice quiet life and hubby any day

30. Diva

February 13, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Now going to google……

31. Oyin

February 14, 2014 at 2:54 am

“Clears throat”….oh, this is Osi umenyiora’s bro, I see. That is some unconventional house, looks like one of the financial office building in NYC. Anyway,y nobody is perfect. Cute couple.

32. Roseline

February 14, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I must google…..

33. sparkle

February 18, 2014 at 9:39 am

Fairytale of life! Awon ex-con prince charming.

34. dotty

March 10, 2014 at 9:47 am

everybody has a past..so stop sulking pipo… fifi and fam rock jor…SLC babe rocks too