News

Oprah Winfrey to Piers Morgan: “I’m really happy being with myself” on Loneliness – Watch

Oprah's 60th Birthday Party - January 2014 - BellaNaija 01

When you think of Oprah Winfrey, we are pretty sure the last thing that comes to your mind is a 60-year old woman in a big house with many cats.

Firstly Oprah is a dog-person and secondly she is content with being just by herself.

The American media mogul had a short interview with Piers Morgan on CNN. She discussed how she combats loneliness even with a partner Stedman Graham and best friend Gayle King around most of the time.

Check it out!

1. @edDREAMZ

February 20, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Loneliness helps an individual to build himself in a greater way……. Talking frm experience……

2. Blessmyheart

February 20, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I think there’s a difference between being alone and being lonely. I didn’t watch the interview though.
    I am that person that can be in a room full of people and feel lonely. On the other hand, I am that person that can stay alone in a room for a week and not miss anything. At least I was before I got married. I used to think I missed my alone days till the hubby travelled for a while and it felt like the walls were closing in on me.
    I don’t think human beings were created to be alone. We need people, maybe our spouses, children, friends, etc. Some people need more people than others though. However, we may also need to be alone sometimes to think, if nothing else.

• Ore

February 20, 2014 at 5:51 pm

You are spot on! Loneliness and being alone are completely two different things. Loneliness leads to other negative things but being alone can lead to productivity. As you mentioned, individuals need to take time out to think, set visions and things like that.

• sharedthots.blogspot.com

February 20, 2014 at 9:41 pm

I totally agree with you. I even think I am so used to my ‘aloneness’ that i am loathe to even make a connection with people one cannot be an island. It aint right. But once in a while, it is good to be alone and reconnect with yourself.

• Jan

February 25, 2014 at 8:27 pm

I could not live without a pet. But as long as I have my cats, a dog, or something that is alive, I am not lonely. I’d rather be around an animal than most people. I think people who suffer from lonliness have never learned to bond with a pet.

3. Retta

February 20, 2014 at 3:02 pm

@edDREAMZ : Loneliness has never helped anybody get to anywhere. Determination does. It states in the good book that Eve was created so Adam wouldn’t be lonely. Moreover no man is an island. Need i say more?

It’s also lonely at the top u know. Even in the mist of people, someone still feels alone. its a depressing state of mind to feel lonely, not one wants to be alone, its not a state of mind to be proud of. That’s why people like Oprah fight to conquer loneliness cos she know the truth.

4. Blossom

February 20, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Oprah though. One in 7 billion.

5. AVID BLOG READER

February 20, 2014 at 5:47 pm

This is why I love my O! People should learn to love themselves and love to be their own person instead of relying on other things like marriage, children and friends fulfill them.

6. lola anifowose

February 20, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Deep !

7. CarliforniaBawlar

February 20, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Loneliness has got to be he shittiest feeling ever!! And to make things worse other folks who are ‘happy’ kinda stigmatize or even worse feel pity lonely people….like they are defective for not having people in their lives or something. I have learned to show love to those around me cos i never want to make any one else go through what i’ve been through….

8. RIRI-ROSE

February 20, 2014 at 9:47 pm

In my fantasy life, if I ever had a dinner party and I had to invite someone, Oprah would be on that list. That aside, it is good, once in a while to be alone. It makes us reconnect with ourselves after the hustle and bustle of life has wrung us inside out. Im the sort of person that has never enjoyed crowds and noise. In a group of people, Im the first to find a quiet spot and just breathe. Now, to be lonely is a different matter. It sucks. Simple.. Permit me to share a poem I discovered through Oprah. I think she shared snippets of it on her birthday:

Love After Love

The time will come
    when, with elation
    you will greet yourself arriving
    at your own door, in your own mirror
    and each will smile at the other’s welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
    You will love again the stranger who was your self.
    Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
    to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
    for another, who knows you by heart.
    Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes,
    peel your own image from the mirror.
    Sit. Feast on your life.

Derek Walcott

9. Tade

February 21, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Double standard, if Oprah were to be a male what will have been the story from our ladies ….why is he not married he must be sleeping around? Lets get it straight we all know what Piers is talking about and Oprah have been having affair with Stedman for years is a popular knowledge what if Oprah is the man here ? He will have been called names but to the Oprah die hards its a woman right ……