News

One for the Returnees! Watch Episode 1 & 2 of Ghanaian Web Series – “An African City”

BellaNaija.com

An African City - March 2014 - BellaNaija Movies & TV - BellaNaija 01

BellaNaija Movies & TV presents a new show titled “An African City”.

A BN reader gave us the tip on the trending new show. The Ghanaian based production tells the story of five beautiful and successful women who confide in one another about their love-lives (or lack thereof) and find new ways to deal with being a 21st century woman in Africa.

They are returnees a.k.a Johnny Just Come. The series which kicked off on Youtube in February 2014, is created by Nicole Amarteifio, while Millie Monyo is the executive producer.

It features Esosa E, Maame Adjei, MaameYaa Boafo, Nana Mensah and Marie Humbert.

Check it out and let us know if you like it
Episode 1

Episode 2

1. Beht why

March 17, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Yup.. My latest addiction.. Thank you 🙂

2. No wonder

March 17, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Make I no talk. All this African this, African that, no wonder any time dem mention Kenya, Ugnada or Tanzania for class, everyone dey look me because dem think say na the same country we dey. Africa is not a country, stop the labelling. If na England now or France, dem no dey write European city, the particular country is mentioned and not the city. Even the United States citizens in my class, when they are asked, where are you from, they say Texas, California, Ohio, etc. Please you guys should staaaaapit o. Make una dey try to be more specific, what is wrong with “A Ghanaian city”?

• Chi

March 18, 2014 at 1:25 am

I think they say that because the characters are from different countries and the show will probably move around quite a bit. They characters mentioned their countries of origin frequently

• Bird's Eye

March 18, 2014 at 4:38 am

Depending on who their target audience is, “a Ghanian city” may not garner much interest from non-Africans as “an African City” would. Slowly but surely we will educate the western world seeing that some of them are willing to learn. Feel free to correct them when they say Africa though. Ask them, what country in Africa?

But for now let’s just draw them to Africa.

• Ikido

March 18, 2014 at 1:59 pm

You just spoke what has been on my mind forever.
      What black people dont realize is that the term ‘African’ is a synonym for a black person. They cant be bothered with where you are from. The sad thing is that black people have followed their white masters and started throwing this term everywhere. It has even become a pet peeve of mine that whenever anyone mentions “you are from Africa”…i said No! I am Nigerian.
      Another thing i have noticed is that whenever oyibo start to respect you, they stop calling you African and start calling you Nigerian. So just have that in the back of your mind the next time someone calls you African.

3. loverofmusic

March 17, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Love it and the quality of acting is exceptional.

4. Wale

March 17, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Correct, controlled acting. I hope Nollywood will pick up one or two things from these ladies. I enjoyed it. Look forward to many more episodes.

• AMY

March 18, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Are you serious about the acting and Nollywood?

5. Naa

March 17, 2014 at 9:42 pm

I loveee it. Something’s are a bit more exaggerated than others but great episodes. Keep them coming….GH babeeee 🙂

6. Chrissy Nkeiru Ogbuokiri-Ojo

March 17, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Great series! I caught the 1st episode. I will check out 2nd. I think its beautiful to view a portrayal young women of different stages of their lives & the cultural style that meets them. Each of the ladies bring their own jazz. However, I’m more familiar with several of Esosa & Nana Mensah projects.

7. sade

March 17, 2014 at 9:47 pm

BORING IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT

8. oge

March 17, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Love, love love it.. So refreshing to see new and talented faces. Just checked out episode 3 on their website.. i am a big fan now.. Can’t wait for the next episode

9. Amh

March 17, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Beautiful wardrobe.

10. Tilux

March 17, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Love love love…. That’s me in September, coming back home. Lasgidigidi-up up! Sooooo excited can’t wait. 17 years away.

11. *Real* Nice Anon

March 17, 2014 at 10:03 pm

I think the cast lacks chemistry. They say their lines like they’re at some recital. Quite stiff I’d say. Cinematography is good so is the styling and make up but the girls I don’t think can act all that well. Perhaps they’ll get better as we see more episodes? Beautiful women though for sure.

• Non professional opinion

March 19, 2014 at 9:36 am

I started from the second video because people seemed to think the first was a waste of time, but I just watched it now and I have to say that african women are fine like fire. Kilode!

12. Iris

March 17, 2014 at 10:04 pm

LOL … I know this is double standards as I’ve probably made similar comments like these to friends once or twice in the past. However, with the accents, the high-pitched questioning tone at the end of each sentence, the comment about Starbucks (typical American behaviour *rolls eyes*), and the patronising line about fried plantain, all I’m thinking is “so because they gave you passport to go abroad for 10 years we won’t hear.” The picture quality is good but it sounds like one very long whining session. Also, there are many vegetarian diets in East Africa.

13. reni

March 17, 2014 at 10:12 pm

hmmmm

14. beautiful

March 17, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Wow…I’m so proud of you dickson

15. amayvonne

March 17, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Didn’t know about this show. But now I love it!! Yayyy!!

16. abbiba

March 17, 2014 at 10:51 pm

This feels a bit like the book americanah

17. Meanwhile

March 17, 2014 at 11:01 pm

So wait, just hold up one hot damn minute. I was about to stan for this video till I jeard the runs girl’s name was SADE. We in Nigeria are LEARNERS compared to Ghanaian girls when it comes to aristo work oh. Spent four years in Accra so trust me I know this. So the producer of this thing can kindly take a seat in the middle of Third mainland Bridge. I will be having none of this attempted SHADE thankyouverymuch

• sigh

March 18, 2014 at 1:54 am

I swear. I hope she isn’t a runs girl because GH babes are very very loose compared to Naija ones.

• sigh

March 18, 2014 at 1:59 am

Ok saw Ep 2, Sade is a runs girl. This is BS>

• AK

March 18, 2014 at 11:46 am

You must know a lot of ‘GH babes’ to make this absolutely brilliant generalization. SMH

• Author Unknown

March 18, 2014 at 4:18 am

LOL.

• Kris

March 19, 2014 at 10:40 am

U spent 4 years in Ghana so all of a sudden you know all Ghanaian women? What a senseless basis for judgement. So because the girls name is Sade it immediately means shots were taken at Nigerians? Does every topic have to be nsrrowed down to a gh/naija battle

18. Cherie

March 17, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Horrible acting, horrible scenario, very cheaply made! Though I like the concept

19. Yes Boss

March 17, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Loved it!

20. CFA

March 17, 2014 at 11:10 pm

So far, I like it. These episodes make me miss Nigeria and Ghana. Looking forward to the next episode.

21. nik

March 17, 2014 at 11:14 pm

i love this! Go girls

22. zeenie

March 17, 2014 at 11:17 pm

love it already… really looking forward the the next episode!!!

23. Adaobi

March 17, 2014 at 11:26 pm

love this! Reminds me of the show Girlfriends but better as it has African characters and stories

24. John

March 17, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Love this series. I couldn’t stop laughing. It could have been in any African country. The experiences coming from the West are the same. I’ve bookmarked the page and look forward to seeing more episodes.

25. Dessy

March 17, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Nice!!! Very real issues

26. Gold

March 18, 2014 at 12:08 am

So worth my time…enjoyed every bit of it.

27. Mo

March 18, 2014 at 12:28 am

Bella naija wot happened to Shuga, u guys just stopped abruptly, no excuses, no explanations and no apologizes. Thats very rude, u shld at least give us a reason why.

Atoke

March 18, 2014 at 7:53 am

Hello, the MTV Shuga series does not run in perpetuity. All the episodes in the season were published by us.

Thank you for visiting BN.

• whocares

March 18, 2014 at 1:56 pm

loool. “Does not run in perpetuity”… I LOVE IT!! (the use of the word perpetuity here ie) Its been too long since I used it in a sentence, and you just gave me a “worgasm”. Thank you 🙂 Yes, I am posting a long comment raving about the use of a word 😛

28. Nonye Ezerounye

March 18, 2014 at 12:53 am

i guess u r hating cos lekki wives is better abi

29. mouth mouth

March 18, 2014 at 1:12 am

very nice, beautiful girls and good English

30. private vikky

March 18, 2014 at 1:12 am

wait……are they trying to teach us ‘African’ manners here?……or are they building up on “African’ stereotypes or dispelling them?…. or are they rubbing their ‘oyinbo-ness’ in our faces?….i am seriously confused, or mayb it is the first episode…..they were over acting sef…..annoying…

31. Bev

March 18, 2014 at 2:38 am

It could be better, a bit cliché , but I like the series. One thing I find extremely lazy is the pronunciation of the Nigerian names and especially in Episode 3. All they needed to do do was to make ONE phone call.
    Jason Nwoga and Haile Owusu are yummy.

32. Lizzy O

March 18, 2014 at 4:06 am

Episode 1 gave me chills and I said “ewww stop it” a couple of times. But Since I no get work, I watched episode 2 and 3, and the ladies certainly got better and deliver their lines better. Also the “african bashing” kinda stopped and now the girls are settling in the typical “single girl” role. Lines are delivered better and story line is intriguing. I am certainly looking forward to more. New episodes on Sundays I hear? Already subscribed.
    Looks like the African version of “Girlfriends” or “Single Ladies”… I am excited.

33. oola

March 18, 2014 at 5:11 am

#stopthestereotype

Those that come home (African countries): Reason – ‘No Place Like Home’…. after their longgggg job search…or not getting their ‘needful’ jobs.

Those that can’t come home (Remain in the supposed Developed Countries): Reason – ‘There is no security in African countries’…. Meanwhile they are fully aware that they cannot fit into the fast developing economy of the African countries ie they are not well equiped for the available HOT jobs in the fast developing African countries…lol…OR…if they dear come home, they can never go back ie illegal status in the supposed countries.

Oh Lord Thank You for the mature inds who can live in or at literally any part of the world BECAUSE their formative life-years in Nigeria esp Lasgidi have made them Survivors aka ‘Street Smart’…

LoL

34. gh_Mk

March 18, 2014 at 7:50 am

I love it! Its like an Ghanaian returnee sex in the city. However pretty relatable and modern.

35. @edDREAMZ

March 18, 2014 at 8:01 am

I dont like at all…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• Chokl8candie

March 19, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Boss r u sure u even watched any of the episodes sef? Or u Jx trynna make ur self relevant by making sure u comment on every BN topic (even topics ur clearly clueless about) with ur bad English and shallow comments. Is it attention u want or Do u Jx want to be noticed?? Abeg If ur claiming to be in Jupitar or whatever u call it Jx stay der and give this attention seeking a rest already.

36. memebaby

March 18, 2014 at 8:22 am

well I do love it.. and I’m glad they are ghanaians. their phonee sweet! my naija sisters that will start speaking like oge okoye and tonto dikeh LOL.. this was entertaining..hoping to see more episodes.

37. lolo

March 18, 2014 at 8:27 am

too much talk talk and no action. dem try. i still prefer lekki wives. very real and down to earth. looks like sex and the city mixed with friends copy. if you want to learn how to speak african american accent, then you can watch it but if you want pure fun, then lekki wives is the way to go

38. Non professional opinion

March 18, 2014 at 8:52 am

“Hello, the MTV Shuga series does not run in perpetuity.”
    Thanks for giggles. I could practically see your face when you were typing this.

39. Abba

March 18, 2014 at 9:21 am

Can I watch lekki wives online?

40. mariam light

March 18, 2014 at 9:21 am

well put together, i can’t fault anything. i wasn’t bored at all and i am looking forward to more.

41. Akua

March 18, 2014 at 10:07 am

Nice!

42. Michael

March 18, 2014 at 10:20 am

@Abba,yes u can watch it online.Download OH box apps.

43. yaa

March 18, 2014 at 10:47 am

i love this series

44. yaa

March 18, 2014 at 10:49 am

i love this series and cannot wait for the new episode on sunday

45. Berry Dakara

March 18, 2014 at 11:28 am

S’aight

46. Mo

March 18, 2014 at 5:44 pm

@atoke, u are welcome. so when will a new season start?

47. z!

March 19, 2014 at 10:12 am

Lekki wives ke??! How, when n why? I mean… lekki wives???? the most unrealistic naija story and their by force delivery. If you don’t like the acting, at least love the girls, the costume, their delivery! Lekkiwives ko isale eko babes ni! Appreciate fellow nigerian! Just appreciate, you dont need to love.

48. sallysueee

March 19, 2014 at 11:07 pm

i LOVE ITTTT cant wait for the next episode? plus it makes me miss accra very real and very relatable. this could very well be me and my friends

49. Pingback: Ghanaian Web Series “An African City” is back with Season 2! Watch the Opening Scenes of Episode 1 - AfrotainmentTV