Hey Bella Naijarians! By now, you have probably heard about the National Conference currently being held in Nigeria to address and find solutions to Nigeria’s most pressing challenges.
If you haven’t heard about it, no worries! We’ve got all the key facts to bring you up to speed. Here are 10 key things you should know about the National Conference:
1. Organized by the present government, the National Conference was convened to serve as a forum for discussing and resolving Nigeria’s constitutional challenges.
2. There are 492 delegates at the Conference, made up of the ethnic nationalities in Nigeria, political representatives, professional groups, civil society groups, among others.
3. Delegates from Nigerians in Diaspora based in regions including America, Europe, and the Middle East, will also take part in the conference.
4. It is rumoured that each delegate was paid N4 million for accommodation/feeding allowances
5. It is taking place in Abuja.
6. The Conference will last for three months (It commenced on March 17th, 2014).
7. The Conference is being chaired by retired Justice Idris Kutigi.
8. Nominations of all delegates were conducted by stakeholders in each of the groups being represented.
9. Many Nigerians have questioned the relevance of Conference, including ex- Lagos State Governor, Bola Tinubu.
10. The National Conference will include memoranda from the public – meaning that issues raised by the public will also be addressed at the proceedings.
Photo Credit: www.premiumtimesng.com