News

Nigeria listed among World Bank’s “Extreme Poor Nations,” Iweala Clarifies

poverty

The World Bank lists Nigeria as one of the extreme poor nations alongside India and Bangladesh.

Jim Yong Kim, the President of the World Bank made the announcement on Wednesday in Washington, USA.

“The fact is that two-thirds of the world’s extreme poor are concentrated in just five countries: India, China, Nigeria, Bangladesh and the Democratic Republic of Congo. If you add another five countries, Indonesia, Pakistan, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Kenya, the total grows to 80 per cent of the extreme poor.” he said.

Ngozi-Okonjo-Iweala

Yesterday, Nigeria’s Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala who was also contending for the World Bank President seat with Kim, said there was no reason for Nigeria to be singled out.

According to Sahara Reporters, she argued that the number of poor people in a country irrespective of the country’s level of development was the parameter used to rate Nigeria among nations with high poverty level.

“India is a middle-income country, one of the largest economies in the world like Nigeria, is a big economy, but the largest number of poor people in the world reside in India, China and other places.

Most middle-income countries, including Brazil have large number of poor people that is the reality of today and Nigeria is no exception.

Nobody says that everything is fine but we are learning and where we make some progress like other countries, we should also acknowledge it.” she said.

1. Chee

April 4, 2014 at 8:37 am

Mtchewww ,this woman sold go and sit down,d fact is so glaring,Nigerians are suffering!

• Stephanie

April 5, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Very true, but i don’t think we are among the extremely poor nations thoughwww.blogsvila.blogspot.com

2. whocares

April 4, 2014 at 9:12 am

I don’t understand how she can stand up boldly to make excuses or “clarifications”. Extreme poverty, or poverty… the bottom line is people are suffering and the cause of this is corruption and inefficient governing. I know it, she knows it.. So why she tries to cover these things up with diplomatic bs I will never understand.
    PS: Does anyone else think she looks like the old woman in “Ralia the sugar girl”..

• Dr. N

April 4, 2014 at 9:42 am

U had to remind me of Ralia! Going to buy a copy this weekend! As well as ‘Without a silver spoon’.

• whocares

April 4, 2014 at 9:50 am

OOOOH I am soo envious!!! Buy ‘Second chance’ too. The story of Richard and Mina? I have been trolling the internet for that book but for the life of me, I cant find it *inserts sobs*

• Iris

April 4, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Regarding Second Chance, if you can find someone to go for you to where they sell books at CMS, they may find it. It’s not in the stores. It’s the guys outside that sell books who have it. I bought it about three years ago from there. I figure someone can send it to you easily after that 🙂

• whocares

April 4, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I will start plaguing everyone I know traveling. Why didn’t I think of that!!!! Thank you. ooh Iris the sufferhead this book has caused me.. I saw a copy on amazon for £86. Can you believe that!?!?! 86!!

3. Poison ivy

April 4, 2014 at 9:17 am

@chee,you mean *Should*

4. ALEXA

April 4, 2014 at 9:31 am

And I thought my Uganda was among the poorest!!! Where is Nigeria’s oil going?

• Dr. N

April 4, 2014 at 9:44 am

Going to buy private jets! We need to keep up appearances u know. Giant of Africa with 1 or 2 jets??? No!

• Ivie

April 4, 2014 at 2:22 pm

LOL! faints*@ Keeping up appearances! Dr u dey yab ooo… seriously suffer dey naija oo. no be this taes by moon light crap they give using to defend their bad leadership#hiss

• Ivie

April 4, 2014 at 2:23 pm

*tales

5. Chee

April 4, 2014 at 10:31 am

@ poison ivy,yes and thanks.

6. T

April 4, 2014 at 11:31 am

The man spoke simple English… How was Nigeria singled out when he listed 5 -10 nations? Mrs. Iweala go and buy your own private jet, bullet proof car and big house and please stop arguing with very obvious bare facts that you have failed to change for the better….

7. Bella

April 4, 2014 at 11:46 am

Nija cannot be worse that India. Sorry o!

8. nene

April 4, 2014 at 12:47 pm

nigeria has always been alongside bangladesh and india in these lists. india and nigeria are very similar, only few people have money while the rest of the country is poor. but india is bit better i guess, at least they have some good hospitals and some good schools. their film industry has grown greatly also.

9. Iris

April 4, 2014 at 12:53 pm

LOL this reminds me of the time OBJ flipped out on camera at an event because someone said Nigeria hadn’t had good leadership since independence. He was actually insulted to the point that he came and mentioned all the things he believed he’d accomplished and asked how they could say we hadn’t had good governance. How will they know what is going on in Nigeria when they live like kings? They have power, they have security, they have money, they have water. When they’re sick they get visas and fly abroad for treatment. I have a friend who came to Lagos from Abuja and said she couldn’t understand Lagos’ power problem. If she who doesn’t even live in Asokoro or Aso Vila was confused, I can only imagine what it is like for some people who are “highly favoured” by this our Condemn-Condemn presidency.

10. Author Unknown

April 4, 2014 at 3:27 pm

The problem with Nigerians is that they feel slighted by such news – which are actually simply based on facts. Your country has a large population, makes a lot of revenue, but you don’t have a middle-class. What did you expect to be considered? You think it’s the number of luxury cars and LV bags they look at?

• Dr. N

April 4, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Yes, remember we are the 2nd or 3rd highest shoppers in UK according to a study and d 2nd highest champagne consumers! Those poverty statistics must be biased (tongue in cheek)

11. Ibukun

April 4, 2014 at 9:48 pm

OMG! Whocares I searched for second chance too, even time changes yesterday! it’s so sad. we need to start an online book club with all those books, I have a list…true.

• Dr. N

April 5, 2014 at 9:01 am

I want that list pls

12. Ibukun

April 4, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Actually ehn, I see her point *winces*. China’s economy is really blooming you know, but see they still made the list. Nigeria has enough money to make everybody rich but unfortunately the wealth is not evenly distributed hence the high %tage of poor people…you get me abi?….no?? (naah I don’t get me either). Silly rada rada ole-tiff talk, the woman is gradually becoming a clown

13. NNENNE

April 4, 2014 at 11:10 pm

We can also help by making less children.

14. Ibukun

April 5, 2014 at 10:43 am

Dr N: An african night’s entertainment. time changes yesterday. second chance. drummer boy. Bottled leopard. The stillborn. Without a silverspoon. One week one troube. Double trouble. Jagua nana (LOL!). God’s are not to blame. Our husband has gone mad again. The rainmaker and other stories. The lion and the jewel. Things fall apart. passport of mallam iliu. Ralia the sugar girl. Morountodun and other stories. Eze goes to school…. plus the ones with titles i don’t know because I read them front page torn-back page torn (all those books that started from page 8 or 9, loads of them!) but trust me I remember the stories vividly. oh! and the yoruba ones too.

• whocares

April 7, 2014 at 10:27 am

LMAOOO. I LOVE YOUR LIST!!!! Can I also add “trials of brother Jero”,. ooh Ibukun and Dr N, make it happen please.. all these John Irving ti su mi!!!! I am soo desperate for second chance, if I had the money, and I was rolling in it, I would have bought the extortionate 86pounds one on amazon.

15. Joe