News

UK Activists Urge Banning of Nigerian “Witch Hunter”

Helen Ukpabio - April 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01

Helen Ukpabio, the founder of Liberty Foundation Gospel Ministries, is being labelled a “Witch Hunter“.

The Nigerian church was founded in 1992 with over 100 branches.

According to The Independent UK, United Kingdom’s Home Secretary Theresa May is being urged to prevent the apostle from returning to the UK. She is believed to have preached at three gatherings in London last week.

It is alleged that Ukpabio revealed she was betrothed to Satan as a teen but later rescued from a cult at age 17.

The female preacher is now a deliverance minister and her sessions are being criticized as “little more than crude exorcisms” by activists.

She reportedly advised parents that “If a child under the age of two screams in the night, cries and is always feverish with deteriorating health, he or she is a servant of Satan.”

Concerned parents and campaigners feel her statement puts children’s safety at risk and shouldn’t be taken for granted. They are urging the Home Secretary to ban her from the UK, after her current tour.

Over a dozen people are said to have attended the event which offers help to people “under attack” from witchcraft, ancestral or “mermaid” spirits.

1. Jamila

April 15, 2014 at 10:51 pm

This woman is responsible for so much misery. For the sake of the hundreds of helpless, innocent children she set up to be accused of being witches, and the gullible parents she has been fooling, somebody please stop this woman. Evil. Twisted Evil. Masquerading as God’s servant.

• Mademoiselle

April 15, 2014 at 11:33 pm

You spoke my mind entirely! Masking evil with supposed good is what she is great at! I don’t blame the UK activists. In fact, I would sign a petition against her! Kmt. I watched a video on youtube about child witches and wizards, where she was featured encouraging them to be caught and whatnot. So so sad!

2. Rage

April 15, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Good she is retarded.

3. OmoMakun

April 16, 2014 at 1:23 am

Who makes statements like this???”“If a child under the age of two screams in the night, cries and is always feverish with deteriorating health, he or she is a servant of Satan.”
    Has she heard of “Teething”, “Tummy Upset”, “COngestion” and the list goes on. Ignorance is not bliss, its a killer

4. omalichaspeaks.blogspot.com

April 16, 2014 at 2:09 am

So if small pikin get malaria dey shiver now, na winch??? Twisted!
    I Think I Have Lost My Wife To A Woman- A blog readers story- click my name to read more

5. SpeakNoEvil

April 16, 2014 at 3:28 am

I will be supportive of all efforts to restrict the activities of someone who is going around and accusing others, especially children, of witchcraft. When I was about 7 or 8, someone bought biscuits for the little children playing outside and when the biscuits didn’t go round for everyone to get one pack each, those of us with one pack had to share ours with someone else. One self righteous, church-going, witch-hunting lady thought it was okay to tell me that “I was not good enough to share my biscuits with the other kids because I was demonic.” In fact she took it upon herself to encourage the other kids not to accept anything from me because I was trying to initiate them into my cult. “Someone had had a dream about me,” she said and she was convinced that I was a witch looking for souls to steal for my master the devil. Imagine how I felt as a child hearing that from an adult, so I detest adults that try to destroy the innocence of children by regarding/treating them as witches. I despise the gullible parents that swallow everything these witch-hunters say hook line and sinker. I feel the utmost sympathy for the children who are at the mercy of these people. With the way I feel about all these I-too-know prophets/priests/native doctors/Imams/Crusaders, I am sure they will blame my intense hatred of them on the “demonic spirit” in me that does not want to let me go.

• skaia

April 16, 2014 at 12:19 pm

The worst they can say is that you’re possessed with “Spirit” of something. People are so myopic that they tend to believe every thing told them by these crusaders. I am in your camp and I don’t and won’t consult any prayer person or visioner for any religious reason. I remember this patient that came to meet my boss with a case of cataracts. She swore that someone blocked her eyes with cotton wool in the village and the person had already confessed. She was operated upon and had lens implanted and few days later, she could see clearly. She said my boss had the power to bind (or cast) the powers of witches. During her next visit, she came with a hiace bus load of others whose “eyes had been blocked with cotton wool”. Then, it was discovered that the disease is prevalent in that village. But they point at a particular family, who they claim is responsible for the witchcraft attack!!
      For me, if you can’t prove it scientifically, it is just an assertion and that is false. Period!

6. Author Unknown

April 16, 2014 at 3:58 am

Ban her real quick. See her face!

7. Nene Morgan

April 16, 2014 at 6:30 am

So na Harry Potter this babe go dey drag with?
    Madam, come home ur edikaikong don dey sour.

8. dora the explorer

April 16, 2014 at 6:33 am

This woman!!! people like her are the reason my mom has got it twisted on the witchcrafty and wizardry! geez her movies back in the days scared the shit out of me as a child. alas! We are free from such foolish practice of christianity .. The Lord have mercy on the ignorant people she has messed up.. (she is probably still possessed you know! teehee!)

9. ada

April 16, 2014 at 7:14 am

I dont understand Nigerians. Was anyone forced to attend her functions? People go there of their own free volition and come back complaining. If you are not comfortable with certain things, then keep away. Simple logic.

• Bleed Blue

April 16, 2014 at 9:21 am

@ada Note that it’s not not a case of the people who “go there…and come back complaining”. It’s people who have been made aware of her potentially harmful teachings and practices and feel the (justifiable) need to put a stop to them.

There is no greater evil than that which masquerades itself under the cloak of religion.

• Iris

April 16, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Adults may go of their own volition, but it is the children of these adults (who never asked to go) that will suffer. Besides, should they let her go and be giving people ideas with her nonsense? I agree with Rare Gem. If she is truly a “witch hunter”, there are many Boko Haram people she can go and deliver. If she really has liver she should announce her location and tell them to come to her for deliverance. Then we will see who has power pass.

• Chimamanda's Main Squeeze

April 16, 2014 at 10:13 pm

We don’t understand you either. Your comment is supremely dumb! So the children who are being accused of witchcraft, is it their choice?

10. sam

April 16, 2014 at 7:19 am

Nice development she should be banned from any developed sane country, cos advanced countries have moved on from the medieval culture of witches and wizards or help me ask her if she can tell whether any of Obama daughter is a wizard because if she can’t then she an idiot who needs a job asap

11. MsZk

April 16, 2014 at 8:43 am

Is she not tired of these witch hunting? Every child cries at night when they are ill, oya sickle cell kids nko?

12. Hannah

April 16, 2014 at 10:04 am

This lady dey hunt witch in London, Haba has she not heard of Harry Potter? joor she should take a chill pill and roll with the cool kids lolz .

• lol

April 16, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Lol @ Harry Potter…

13. +Rare Gem+

April 16, 2014 at 11:25 am

Please madam Akpabio, come back to Nigeria and deliver the Boko Haram insurgents

14. kokie

April 16, 2014 at 7:09 pm

She needs to be shut down. who are her patrons ? they are even crazier than she could possibly be.

15. nene

April 16, 2014 at 8:16 pm

this woman freaks me out. maybe she’s also a witch.