News

Confirmed! Lupita Nyong’o Gets Film Rights to Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s “Americanah”

BellaNaija.com

Lupita & Chimamanda - May 2014 - BellaNaija,com 01Yay! BellaNaijarians, it has been confirmed.

Academy Award winning Kenyan actress Lupita Nyong’o optioned and got the film rights to Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie‘s latest novel – Americanah.

In an interview with Lola Ogunnaike on Arise Entertainment in March 2014, the Nigerian author hinted that she will be working with Lupita. She said Lupita read Americanah, loved it and “will be making an announcement soon” – watch it here.

Today at Stylist Magazine‘s Stylist Book Club Inaugural Session held at the Waldorf Hilton in UK, she shared the big news.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - May 2014 - BellaNaija.com 02 (1)

Signing Copies of Americanah

Signing Copies of Americanah

At the event, Chimamanda rocked a pretty white dress and shared some inspiring words
Quotes from the Stylist Magazine session

1. I see my characters as humans – I don’t judge them as I leave my readers to do that
  2. I listen to conversations and I watch people at airports to pick up ideas for characters
  3. ..I keep notes, I don’t mind my own business ever!
  4. strong women aren’t remarkable to me they are the norm. I’m always surrounded by strong women
  5. I usually have an idea of where a novel will go but I don’t always know what the end will be
  7. Barack Obama is a game changer he’s different to those in office before him, he’s thoughtful
  8. My writing advice is read read read: you don’t have to like what you read but it demystifies writing
  9. tell the truth in your writing even if it means people aren’t going to like it
  10. I am a big fan of Barack Obama but an even bigger fan of Michelle Obama
  11. Writing has texture to it: you need to pick up on real, human details to bring a story to life
  12. I wanted to write about depression in Americanah because it’s not discussed a lot although lots of people suffer from it
  13. Feminism isn’t an exclusive party – people should be allowed to define it for themselves
  14. My 11yr niece now sees herself as a feminist because of Beyonce’s song sampling my TED talk
  16. If you are finding the writing process tough, take a break and eat some chocolate
  17. The reader I write for is me. It keeps me honest as I don’t try to pander to anyone’s view
  18. Immigration is a thorny issue but I’m interested in the way it strips away human dignity

This will be Chimamanda’s second book adapted on the big screen. Her second novel – Half of a Yellow Sun is out in cinemas worldwide, except Nigeria.

1. Ib

May 29, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Respect!

2. Love

May 29, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Love this girl, she interviews brilliantly.

3. Jewel

May 29, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Thoughtful quotes.

4. Slim

May 29, 2014 at 10:37 pm

“15. I know women who are brilliant, fierce & alive in the world but they made bad choices about men”

This brought me to tears….. May God help us!

5. @edDREAMZ

May 29, 2014 at 11:49 pm

I hope she shines in this movie more than the way she shines in 12yrs… Carry go gal, u are on fire….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

6. ao

May 30, 2014 at 1:07 am

Chimamanda …always winning! Congrats!

7. Isioma

May 30, 2014 at 4:49 am

“Immigration is a thorny issue but I’m interested in the way it strips away human dignity” <—- the depth of these words.

• Abby

May 30, 2014 at 11:14 am

As in! Too DEEP. I cant even find words to express how this affected me.

8. Tosin

May 30, 2014 at 6:55 am

I like ‘6. I started writing Americanah because I felt compelled. I was emotionally attached to it’ best.
    Most of the others are like, ehh, I would disagree. If we were sisters, we would be those sisters who basically disagree on stuff 🙂 but respec’ to her. For instance, I love Obama, but Bill Bill Bill Clinton I overlove. The world needs Michelle, I can see that, me I don’t, just happy for her. But those their daughters are alluring, they just seem so…interesting. Oh and I agree on writing and food: writing hard will make you fat, definitely don’t eat chocolate then!

9. Berry Dakara

May 30, 2014 at 7:30 am

What’s the point if they won’t show her movies in Nigeria? *rolls eyes*

berrydakara.blogspot.com

• Somiii

May 30, 2014 at 8:45 am

I think you are referring to Half of a yellow sun, I hear they are trying to resolve issues with NFVCB, Its not as if they don’t want to show it. Patience berry, in due time we will see the movie, but I tell you, the ginger for the movie is dying ohh.

10. Bella

May 30, 2014 at 9:31 am

I love her books especially Americana. I fell in love with the couple , cried with them, laughed and cussed with them. Ngozi is a brilliant writer, I am officially a die hard Fan.

11. sum1special

May 30, 2014 at 11:40 am

Chimamanda,Brilliant author

12. Lola

May 30, 2014 at 11:56 am

I am in love with Chimamanda and her work , her quotes were so lovely and Inspiring . I loved Americanah and i immediately fell in love with the characters however I hope Lupita doesn’t play ifem , I don’t envision ifem as Lupita . It’s not like I don’t think Lupita is a wonderful actress , however the way ifem is described doesn’t match with Lupita .

• olekanma

January 21, 2015 at 9:59 am

i totally agree with you!

13. Olulu

May 30, 2014 at 2:30 pm

She is on a roll, good to see Nigerians doing great.

14. Teris

May 30, 2014 at 2:31 pm

“…Immigration is a thorny issue but I’m interested in the way it strips away human dignity…”
    like.. can someone please write in depth on that there topic. even getting ordinary visa sef (to spend my hard-earned cash) is waa. the invasiveness of the process… SMH.

15. Theresa Doghor

June 3, 2014 at 3:38 pm

How sad!
    That Nigeria will be excluded
    You can bet I will watch the movie though.

16. Lauren

August 4, 2014 at 9:07 pm

I too love Michelle Obama – and I am an even bigger fan of hers.! She really gets it and has this way of getting to the heart of any issue – and in ways that anyone listening grasps easily. Michelle Obama is brilliant, wise, sincere, down to earth, unpretentious, discerning. It’s easy to see why Chimamanda is a fan. They share