News

“It’s a Taxi Dress”! Lupita Nyong’o Speaks on her MET Gala Dress | Watch!

BellaNaija.com

Lupita Nyong'o - May 2014 - BellaNaija Style - BellaNaija.com 01

Lupita Nyong'o - May 2014 - BellaNaija Style - BellaNaija.com

You may not like the dress but Lupita Nyong’o says she was “deeply attracted” to the Prada creation she wore to the MET Gala on Monday night.

The Kenyan actress made headlines around the world as the biggest risk taker at the fashion event – see it here.

While speaking to former American editor-at-large for Vogue Magazine André Leon Talley, she dishes on her look.

Referencing Charles James who was being honoured, she called it a “Taxi Dress” – a frock created by the English fashion icon.

Check it out!

Chiwetel Ejiofor also dished on his Dolce & Gabbana look – watch!

1. Emy

May 7, 2014 at 8:01 am

Trying to justify the expensive trash she wore? Next please…

2. Person

May 7, 2014 at 8:45 am

It is still a train-wreck.

3. Sexxie

May 7, 2014 at 8:49 am

No be only Taxi dress…it’s a Molue dress plus BRT, 911 lorry, Ekene dili chukwu or Young shall grow luxury buses. Never seen an uglier dress!

• Olori Tari

May 7, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Lmaoooooooooooo ! I’m actually cracking up so bad in this library…what a clown ! Only few things make me smile/laugh these days..Thank you for this one.

4. Hausa Girl in Texas

May 7, 2014 at 8:55 am

Not feeling the dress, but she’s indeed a risk taker when it comes to fashion.

5. Debby

May 7, 2014 at 9:08 am

Whether it’s a taxi dress or a “Molue” dress, the fact is the outfit is a NO-NO!

6. Charis Johnson

May 7, 2014 at 9:14 am

I absolutely loved her dress….it was very different from the predictably boring gown like dresses that characterize these MET gala award ceremonies. Its girly, its fun, its flirty, its dreamy and totally encapsulates her playful mood. The only thing I wasn’t so sure about is the head band. She could have gone for a flower petal of some sort but I loved the dress…that emerald green is so on point

• Kokuikana

May 7, 2014 at 12:38 pm

At least someone is on my side, I really loved this dress, it is darely, unique, we have never seen something like this, it is chicky, I love it.

• MyDamnComment

May 8, 2014 at 6:26 am

Oh puh leeze! One word. Rubbish.

• Abby

May 9, 2014 at 1:07 am

I loved it too!

7. DJ STELCH

May 7, 2014 at 9:32 am

Taxi Dress kor, Danfo Dress Ni..

#BRINGBACKOURGIRLS #TakeOurRUNSgirls #DIARISGODOOOO

……………..
    ¤GROWN MAN IN A YOUNG BODY¤

8. Promo Nigeria Blog

May 7, 2014 at 9:32 am

Not bad a dress. Not A list dress either.

9. silvabubbles

May 7, 2014 at 9:39 am

she looks like a walking chandelier in a Nanny Mcphee movie, better shoes could have helped the situation of this outfit cos right now im trying so hard to appreciate this work of art but its just not werking for me…..SAAM!

10. Idak

May 7, 2014 at 10:18 am

This Lupita girl is beginning to believe the hype about herself.
    I know it is a crime against humanity to speak out against her but this talk about her superior fashion sense is almost laughable.

• Mz Socially Awkward

May 7, 2014 at 10:50 am

Ah ah, now, bros mi. 🙂 She no talk the “superior fashion sense” sumtin with her own mouth, na. Na BN wey imply am, she just talk say the dress been appeal to her.

And I agree with the “taxi dress” assertion, as it’s definitely a dress you can wear to hail taxicabs and be confident that you’ll grab the attention of at least 8 passing taxi drivers…

Ladies, order one for your next night out in town.

11. Teni

May 7, 2014 at 10:30 am

Taxi dress,hmmmm!!! Taxi for aliens or humans? Please next time,choose a limousine dress,speaks class!

12. Ani

May 7, 2014 at 10:40 am

I liked the dress, it was just different.

13. Chiomski

May 7, 2014 at 10:42 am

Lupie, didn’t know you re an “Atilogwu” dancer o…..lol

14. CEO

May 7, 2014 at 11:42 am

Giiirl, call it a Cabu Cabu dress if you like. That dress is UGLY.COM!!

15. Teris

May 7, 2014 at 1:57 pm

love it.

16. becca

May 7, 2014 at 5:44 pm

kai eyin omo 9ja !!!!!!!!!!!
    laughter wan bend my neck for hia!!!! nearly choked on my bowl of cereal
    taxi dress indeed!
    Lupita!!!! you are like one dress away from total ridicule watch it!!
    abeg make i enter market go find my own molue dress

17. jojo

May 7, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Her dress was lovely. Why are people on this site all bent out of shape about the dress. If I remember correctly Lisa of Bridget one the Nigeria designers have an interpretation of this outfit (Jenny wore a whitish one).

the dress is lovely, it suits her and and it is a conversation piece.

18. Free

May 7, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Had a great laugh! My goodness all the descriptions on here sure beats the ones on yahoo comments. Molue, cabu cabu dress, young shall grow etc! Lwkmd!! trust naija to take it to the next level of ridicule.

19. Free

May 8, 2014 at 5:08 am

The comments on here are just too funny! Taxi dress, cabucabu dress, atilogu dancer etc all in the name of fashion. Had a good laugh, but the dress aside, she still has beautiful glowing skin.