News

Travellers Trapped at MMIA as Key of Immigration Section Goes Missing

MMIA1

Travellers who just disembarked from flights at Murtala Muhammed International Airport Lagos about an hour ago, were allegedly trapped at the airport for a considerable amount of time, as airport officials couldn’t find the keys of the doors that led to the immigration section.

Media mogul, Dele Momodu was one of the trapped passengers. He tweeted and posted pictures on Instagram, detailing the uncomfortable experience:

MMIA2

Security men eventually had to force the door open. “The security men had to battle with the padlock for minutes before he eventually won the war against the door!” he said:

MMIA3

After being trapped and released, the passengers went through another ordeal at baggage claim – the conveyor belt of the luggage carousel got stuck. “We were happy when this conveyor belt finally belched into action and our luggage started rolling out,” Momodu said:

deleTweet3

After finally getting their luggage, travellers faced yet another ordeal. The airport had been taken over by soldiers, who prohibited cars from parking around the area. And so travellers reportedly had to trek to their vehicles.

“Those arriving MMIA Lagos had a long walk to freedom, so were those travelling out; nothing could be more tedious,” he said:

deleTweet7

A soldier threatened to shoot!

DeleTweet6

Wow.

Photo Credit: Twitter/Instagram

1. nene

May 2, 2014 at 3:32 pm

lol. this can only happen in nigeria. i would be pissed if this happened. if it was heathrow or some beautiful airport, i wouldn’t mind, but being trapped in one of the worst airports in the world, never. and how come dele momodu is always involved?

• soraya

May 2, 2014 at 4:20 pm

You don’t mind being trapped at Heathrow but at MMIA you mind? Na wa o- I would expect the same standard everywhere I go and would definitely mind if I was stuck at heathrow!!!

• Idak

May 2, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I do not want to preempt nene (but that is exactly what I have chosen to do) but I would imagine her response will be that in Heathrow the air-conditioning works so at least you will not suffocate while trapped there but even without being trapped in MMIA the possibility of suffocating is very high.
      I used to wonder why it seemed like rocket science to get the cooling of that airport working even with all the money stolen but know I see that they can’t even find the keys to this lock in the pic,I give up.

2. dor dor

May 2, 2014 at 3:36 pm

SMH..

3. BIMBOLA

May 2, 2014 at 3:37 pm

OH AFRICA, WHEN AT ALL ARE WE GOING TO WISE UP…LOL. THIS IS STUPIDITY AND BEYOND..OMG. HOW ON EARTH CAN THIS HAPPEN IN A COUNTRY THAT PRIDES ITSELF AS GIANT OF AFRICA? OVER TO YOU JOE LARTEY…

4. Miss_Flygerian

May 2, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Only in Naija. SMH!

5. Berry Dakara

May 2, 2014 at 3:50 pm

I thought I quit before (on the Half of a Yellow Sun delay). I obviously didn’t know there was something even more stupid ahead.

6. anon

May 2, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Nigeria jagajaga

• Author Unknown

May 3, 2014 at 4:18 pm

hahahaha. Couldn’t have said it better.

7. laide

May 2, 2014 at 3:52 pm

I am not surprised..in a country where 20bn can get missing, 276 girls can vanish..key lasan lasan ..

8. Bleed Blue

May 2, 2014 at 3:53 pm

And the worst part is no one will own up and take responsibility for this. It will be business as usual.

How can the airport door be jacked as if it’s my JSS3 provisions locker?

This is a significant entry point to an entire country for goodness sake!!!!!!!!

You know what?…I shall not give myself hypertension today…I shan’t.

9. fre

May 2, 2014 at 3:58 pm

It’s not something to laugh off. People need to be questioned and held accountable.
    It always seems like fun, games and jokes.
    It’s the little things like this ignored on a daily basis that has left Nigeria (amongst other things) in the sate and situation we are in today.
    Let’s act now!

10. Chi

May 2, 2014 at 4:05 pm

With the billions they claim was spent on renovating the airports, look at the “lock” they have on a door at an International airport. Such a lock will not even be found on my dog’s cage. Nigeria, we hail thee!

11. Mena Peters

May 2, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Actually, this made me laugh! What next? Nigeria I hail thee o!

12. Aragon

May 2, 2014 at 4:22 pm

But Yorubas said Oduah should be sacked…
    Now the airports have been handed over to them, see padlock, see conveyor belt, see treatment of weary travellers.
    Igbos should get out of Nigeria.

• Radiant

May 2, 2014 at 4:33 pm

I really wish you could think. Just think things through, okay?

• Bleed Blue

May 2, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Ladies and gentlemen…if you’ve never seen a pointless comment before, please be introduced to Aragon’s useless invective ^^^^

• Bee

May 2, 2014 at 5:29 pm

@Aragon,
      Is that your best assessment of the situation? You really think the issue with the sacking of Stella Oduah was because she was Igbo? What makes you think the state of the Muritala Mohammed International Airport is a Yoruba problem? It is amazing how you came to this conclusion. After reading the piece, all you were capable of is sharing the most ridiculous opinion ever. Though you are entitled to your opinion please note, you are not entitled to your own facts. Your statement is a misguided view that should no longer be ignored by right thinking Nigerians of any tribe or ethnic group. Neither should it be replied with insults engaging in a war of words. I sincerely hope you gain some wisdom along the way.

I can see why Nigeria will always have to deal with one unnecessary issue after another. People who view the state of things in Nigeria the way you do are incapable of addressing issues without being objective. This is not what Nigeria needs now. From your statement since Igbos can do no wrong , do all Yorubas a favour and you do as you have suggested.

• Idak

May 2, 2014 at 6:07 pm

How dare you dignify such tribal jingoistic comment with a reasoned response?
      Just jump and pass….

• Miss_Flygerian

May 2, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Lock up and return to Linda Ikeji or Nairaland where demented people like you hang out.

• Sandi

May 2, 2014 at 7:26 pm

You were making sense until you got to the igbo part

• Iris

May 2, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Eis! Abeg leave Igbos out of your incomprehensible reasoning and kindly exit on your own. I don’t know how we made the jump from padlocked immigration area to nepotism.

13. Teefah

May 2, 2014 at 4:32 pm

This is embarrassing
    Nigeria: We need to do better. All of us

14. tessy

May 2, 2014 at 4:36 pm

…and this happened at the main airport of “AFRICA’S NUMBER 1 POWERFULL ECONOMY”???????????? I laugh in Xhosa!

15. AW

May 2, 2014 at 4:42 pm

One word; DISGRACEFUL !!!!!

16. God4me

May 2, 2014 at 5:02 pm

What a shame!!!

17. omalichaspeaks.blogspot.com

May 2, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Can’t imagine being trapped in all that heat. Which way Nigeria???

18. Tempi Tope Adebayo

May 2, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Wonders shall never end in my fine fine Naija! Hail to the N!

19. Frida Dali

May 2, 2014 at 5:39 pm

I have successfully run out of ability to deal with anything else this week. SMDH! Nigeria ah! Ah! AH!

20. vee

May 2, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Disgraceful is even an understatement. Shame dey catch me for my own country day by day! God bless nija…ooooo

21. Tee

May 2, 2014 at 5:56 pm

@ Bee
    God bless you! Our problem isn’t just boko haram,insecurity and corruption,@aragon just spoke the mind of many people in Donald sterling way.Thank God for Internet and blogs that make you read their mind.We know who triggers the attack.

22. camo

May 2, 2014 at 6:11 pm

And after berating aragon your last statement and his comment are exactly in the same group. Shebi I said it whether Nigerians like it or not,we re deep in this tribal/religious shenanigan, its real, if all of you in bellanaija like speak English from now till Jesus come its in everybody’s subconscious people spew the sentiments without even knowing, its a normal reflex in Nigerian.

23. neon

May 2, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Its all fun and games until the proverbial shit hits the proverbial Fan… and let me tell u ladies and gentlemen, that shit is full!!!!! #thisisNOTacountry

24. dana

May 2, 2014 at 8:05 pm

I have experience d same exact situation in Abuja int’ airport! they officer with the keys stepped out for lunch we heard. #SorryForNigeria

25. dana

May 2, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Ours though was the door of the connecting tube from the plane to the airport.

26. kimolo

May 2, 2014 at 8:38 pm

While I love to believe all I read online, some stories should be better researched and thought through. I happen to know that Immigration does not control nor manage Nigeria Airports and neither have the right to lock any door. The Airport is managed by FAAN officials. As a journalist all gist heard from word of mouth and pushing of blames should be verified before posted. That said sha! sorry ooooo! I know what its like to disembark from a plane, be tired and yet stock. On the parking far from the airport terminal “I am sure we all know what Boko Haran is currently doing in the country and even though my peoples’ methods are crude, I am happy we haven’t recorded and incidents in Lagos. Cheers

• Nnenkamma

May 3, 2014 at 2:26 am

Well written. Very well written. THANK YOU!

27. Nnenkamma

May 3, 2014 at 2:25 am

Let’s all stop for a second (or two) and think this through before criticizing Naija. The real point of note here is not whether the door was locked with a padlock but why the immigration authorities were not ready to receive an international flight? The guy who “jacked” the lock did the right thing but it should have been done BEFORE the passengers disembarked. But who knows, the passengers probably ran off the plane (as they do EVERYTIME on local and international flights) before the immigration officials were ready to receive them. (God forbid Nigerians being asked to wait for anything). Keys do get missing; not only in Nigeria, but all over the world.

Conveyor belts get stuck in other countries as well. As a matter of fact, it happens frequently at Newark airport in New Jersey and one is simply advised to move to another carousel/conveyor to get their belongings. I don’t see people raising alarm or acting crazy. They simply shift to the next conveyor and wait. (Again, God forbid Nigerians being asked to wait for anything).

Let’s also ask ourselves why the army felt the need to stop vehicles from entering directly into the airport? If we are honest with ourselves, we should come up with the correct answer – to ensure our safety the best way they can, at the moment. That is, taking into account all that has been going on lately.

Nigeria has problems. Plenty. We all know that. But please let’s all stop making mountains out of molehills and creating issues where there are none. This is our home (no matter any other passport we might carry) and it’s left to us to appreciate her, for whatever she’s worth. We all should be asking, where are our girls and when are they going to be brought home; why do crazy fellow countrymen go about blowing up places where there are people that did nothing whatsoever to harm them? What are the people supposed to be protecting us doing about the real problems?
    May God bless and protect us all and may He not forsake our country, the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

• Miss Anonymous