News

Fola Daniel Adelesi: What’s Your Affirmation?

A few years ago I heard a very simple but profound story of affirmation from a foremost motivational speaker in Nigeria and it has always worked for so many people. Reverend Sam Adeyemi said, ‘someone called you a fool. You will now turn around and say, ‘me! A fool? You call me a fool? Me, a fool?’ The person who called you a fool only said it once but you have it with your mouth three times then you will now act like a fool by going ahead to slap the person or doing some other nasty things.

What is your affirmation? What are the things that you are saying to yourself on daily basis about your life and your situation? Are you saying good things about your life or you are just affirming the negative situation of life to yourself?

Some people keep saying things like,‘we the poor people are suffering and the government is not helping us.’ I removed myself from that list. Anytime I now hear someone say we the poor people or we the masses I just ask the person to speak for him or herself. As for me, I am not a part of the poor people or the masses. I am also not saying that because I have some billions physically in my account. But you need to know that what I have in terms of intellectual resources and vision are a lot more than the physical cash and as I make demands on them, they translate to cash.

Too many of us affirm the present situations in our lives and we ultimately limit ourselves by temporary problems. Just because we can’t open our minds, or see a little further down the road, we fix ourselves permanently into a temporary situation with our affirmations.

There are too many people who are saying the wrong things to themselves and they are wondering why things are not changing. Some of our young ladies out of frustration have said, ‘Ah, I am finished! John has gone. I will never get another man to love me like John. In fact, there are no other men.’ Now someone makes that kind of statement and a few months down the line is expecting men to start coming. You have forgotten you said you were finished. To get a different result you should not only change your actions you have to change your affirmations.

A number of people in this country have also been saying nothing works in this country. You keep saying nothing works in this country and you don’t realize that your brain is taking that message in. So, you decide to start a business later and your mind keeps telling the business that nothing works. You don’t even remember what you said but the things you affirmed to yourself are the things happening in your business.

There is such an amazing power in the things that you constantly confirm or reinforce to your mind. When you hear things that you do not like, you should not say them with your mouth or repeat them to yourself. When you repeat them you are giving them the permission to take effect in your life.

Keep saying things are hard and that is what your entire system will believe and work with. So your mind thinks that nothing gets done the easy way. It always has to be the hard way. If your affirm to yourself that things are easy, you will come to realize how cheap those things can become.

If you have a child that seems to be lagging behind, don’t call that child names like many of our own parents did for us. What you say to your own child is a personal affirmation for your future. You are making an investment for your future and very soon you just might have a drop out.

You don’t have to join people to say what they are saying. Use the gate keeping theory as we do in the communication or journalism field. Filter what is allowed to get into your mind, take root and repeats itself to you constantly.

Remember, what you affirm is what you confirm and that’s what you get in life.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Warrengoldswain

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Fola Daniel Adelesi is a professional public speaker who also trains other speakers, an author, business consultant and highly skilled master of ceremony with excellent poise and diction. He was on the Debaters TV reality show season 1, presented ‘You Can’ on Radio Continental in 2011, did motivational segments on Galaxy TV from Dec 2008 to August 2009 and has authored 3 books including Writing Business Proposals.

Fola Daniel Adelesi (also Fola Daniel Speaks) is a Professional Public Speaker, Learning & Development Expert, Communications Professional, and an author of more than 13 books. He's a highly engaging training facilitator who holds his audience spellbound when speaking at gatherings. Apart from his several platforms which include banks, insurance companies, and religious organizations, he has been part of some national television shows and he spoke so intelligently. Some of his published books include: - Get Up and Hit That Goal - Basic Skills for Outstanding Leadership - Breaking Grounds Despite Backgrounds - Writing Business Proposals - Indebted to Ignorance He's also a highly skilled master of ceremony with excellent poise and diction who is endeared to many corporate clients. He was on the Debaters TV reality show Season 1, he presented 'You Can' on Radio Continental in 2011 and he did motivational segments on Galaxy Television from Dec. 2008 to August 2009. He currently features consistently on Channels Television and Television Continental, two of the leading TV stations in Nigeria to discuss national and youth issues. He keeps a vlog at https://youtube.com/foladanielspeaks and his books are available on https://amazon.com/author/foladanielspeaks or https://ediblepen.org/shop

1. Ozzy(goodNews)

June 19, 2014 at 10:40 am

God bless you Fola. Really going through a lot now & this is really timely, & I’m sure that my morning is now if only I can affirm positive things to myself

2. Anna

June 19, 2014 at 10:43 am

I’m reading a similiar vein of reasoning in Think and Grow Rich and I am beginning to realise the true power of our words and thoughts. Great Article!

3. Sheri Berri

June 19, 2014 at 11:02 am

Mr Adelesi again! Thank you so much for this. Every time i see a post from you, it always relates to my current situation. Time to focus on my affirmations, i have loads on my mood board up against my bedroom wall…yet i have not looked at them in months! God give me strength.

4. dp

June 19, 2014 at 11:19 am

OK

5. ada1

June 19, 2014 at 11:26 am

this article is so on point! life and death is in the tongue! i choose to say positive things all the time and whenever i forget and say something like: i don’t have money, if i remember immediately, i correct myself. nigerians need to start seeing positivity in our country cuz its the only one we’ve got no matter what…

6. M

June 19, 2014 at 12:06 pm

YESSSSSSS!!! Thank you very much for this.

7. Dr. N

June 19, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Several likes

8. Ndidi

June 19, 2014 at 11:14 pm

I love reading your encouraging articles…thank you!!!

9. Adaeze Obiako

June 20, 2014 at 5:35 am

Fola, I agree with this post o! One of the most important lessons I’ve learned is that our chosen thoughts and words determine the life we will have. We help or hinder ourselves by the words we cast over our lives. I have become extremely cautious about the words I use and the affirmations I give myself daily.

10. Blessing

June 20, 2014 at 9:39 am

Fola Daniel Adelesi, God bless you for this.

11. Hafreekan

June 21, 2014 at 6:05 am

This is a profound piece. It’s what you sow that you will reap. The best thing that I can do for myself is to have a positive outlook regardless of my physical circumstances.

12. Ufuoma

June 22, 2014 at 1:21 am

Hi Mr Fola Daniel Adelesi,not to distract from your wonderful write up,but I have a question,at what point does making a statement of fact become an affirmation? As in your example above about poor people saying the government doesn’t care about us isn’t this the truth? isn’t it glaring and obvious in the disregard for human life and dignity we see everyday in our country? Are you then suggesting that because we want to remain positive we should close our eyes to the realities and the problems on ground and keep refusing to confront the situation all because we don’t want to be negative?

13. Vitalia

June 22, 2014 at 3:46 am

Very profound, and very true. Affirmations, and law of attraction is something people should practice regularly. There’s a quote that says “what you think about, you bring about” if you constantly think you are poor, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. You will continue to be poor because that is what you are putting out there to the universe. If you think you are rich, and put some feeling, and emotion behind it, along with some powerful affirmations, you will be shocked at the amazing things that will manifest in your life. True story, I live abroad, and when I moved to a new city, I used to drive past a certain building to get to my apartment. Every time I drove past this building I would say “I am going to live there some day, not just rent ooo, but own an apartment in that building. Fast forward two years later, I own an apartment in that building. Remember while growing up people telling you to think positive? It’s the same premise. God definitely heard our prayers, but the secret that a lot if people don’t know is that while we wait for him to answer, he has given us the tools to make some things happen for ourselves. Watch the “secret” or buy the book. Many successful people practice the law if attraction, even Oprah.