News

Shonda Rhimes’ Epic Dartmouth Commencement Speech: “Ditch the Dream & Be a Doer” | Watch

Shonda Rhimes - BN Movies & TV - June 2014  - BellaNaija.com 01
Creator of hit TV shows including Scandal and Grey’s Anatomy, Shonda Rhimes was invited to deliver a commencement speech at Dartmouth University.

And it is wait for it – EPIC.

On June 8, she told the graduates, as well as faculty members, trustees, and guests that she had wasted time dreaming of becoming Toni Morrison (novelist, editor) before she settled for a job writing for television.

Shonda says “ditch the dream and be a doer, not the dreamer”

Watch

1. Marie Antoinette

June 11, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Word! Just do it!

2. chica

June 11, 2014 at 4:59 pm

i absolutely love the speech but mayb she wuz too raw wiv her use of words….

3. Jane

June 11, 2014 at 5:06 pm

So true!

nigerwifedairy.blogspot.com

4. Jane

June 11, 2014 at 5:08 pm

So me to spell diary as dairy.

nigerwifediary.blogspot.com

5. BC

June 12, 2014 at 5:23 am

Her choice of words might have made some uncomfortable but she told them the truth. New grads of today need to her it. And she was right about a lot of things.

6. S

June 13, 2014 at 11:00 am

I don’t have specifics on the speech but one thing that I do know is that I am realistically inspired! Something always has to give in achieving a set goal. The key is that these things do not give completely, today you missed the school play for your script but tomorrow you call in sick to make up for it. Life is dynamic, constantly in motion, we all should be as well in whatever capacity we can. Just keep doing something until the next thing…

7. Ije

June 16, 2014 at 10:34 am

OMG! I am truly inspired, I’ve been siting on an incomplete novel for about 3 years. The fear of people reading my work and thinking it sucks makes me want to pass out. I’ve been dreaming of becoming a rival writer to Chimamanda. But after listening to this speech, I think I’ll give up my dreams of being her rival and will just concentrate on being me.

Awesomeness to the max!!!