Scoop

Gbemi Olateru-Olagbegi speaks on “Oluwa-Give Me” Mentality by Nigerians on Ndani TV’s Just Say It

BellaNaija.com

Ndani TV's Just Say It - BN Movies & TV - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01
Do we have a begging culture in Nigeria?

On a fresh new episode of Ndani TV’s Just Say It, media personality Gbemi Olateru-Olagbegi laments about the “give me” mentality of most Nigerians.

Watch and let’s us know what you think

1. aaaevents and design

July 21, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    You will glow and radiate without stress or worries when you use AAA Events and Design for ur upcoming Events and wedding for more info call 08056236435. BBpin 2644F69D

2. Mossy

July 21, 2014 at 2:46 pm

She should better stay in radio … she is not pleasing to the eyes.. and what is it with all the pimples on her face? i don’t like Gbemi at all.. she comes across as aggressive and rude!
    Lastly, in a county where the typical citizen earns less than a dollar per day, you should learn to help, there is too much poverty in Nigeria pls! Your drivers etc abroad are better paid so you cannot compare !

• oj

July 22, 2014 at 8:16 am

free the babe. are you perfect? So because she doesn’t look like eku, she should hide her face? comment on the issues raised, pls.

• lox

July 23, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Make we see ya own face na @Mossy

3. dp

July 21, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Hummmm, but this babe is not fine ohhh

• name

July 21, 2014 at 5:15 pm

But the one you created with your hand is finer se?

• nene

July 21, 2014 at 8:49 pm

lmao

• lox

July 23, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Are you finer????

4. Enny

July 21, 2014 at 3:31 pm

@dp,we didnt ask for ur opinion o.

5. Moving on Swiftly

July 21, 2014 at 3:38 pm

LMAO! Gbemi. Yes…. You just said my thoughts out loud. very annoying. In the building I work, whenever it is Friday closing hours, the gatemen fall over themselves to open the gate for us and scream (so loud even a deaf man will hear) Goodnight Ma! Happy Weekend Ma, Sorry ma let me open the gate well well so that you will not fall. I’ve Made it a policy not to be bullied by their looks and constant harassment into tipping. In fact I make it a habit to give to the ones that behave normally.

6. el patron

July 21, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Smh! Its poverty that allows this one to be talking rubbish! If he no get he go beg now! Its 4th world mentality! Don’t come here and be bragging i went to dis and dat! Because am a media person!
    You don’t even look it with your wema bank counter girl looking self! Take a sit! Aunty gbemi dis! Aunty gbemi that! We know you are not 30! Sponsoring somebody through university,his marriage,child birth,fathers death hian! Cool down now! We all know you are approaching your 50s..

• Jade

July 22, 2014 at 1:46 pm

This is sooooooo awful. What a hateful person you are. Why would bellanaija even approve this comment. This one pass cyber-bullying oh.

• lox

July 23, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I’d really like to see how YOU look

7. Nwamaka

July 21, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Isi this girl ebuka menh

8. babakay.

July 21, 2014 at 4:43 pm

So what!

9. Deep Soul

July 21, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Infaccccccct!!!! God bless you for this video o! That’s how one shoprite trolley pusher lingered after offloading all my items. I had intentionally ignored him because just the previous day, a colleague of his did the SAME thing and I had already dashed him money b4 I realized. So e be like say dem don do meeting ontop this begging matter. Ok na.

As I was about to leave, my guy asked if I was leaving.
    Me: B4 nko, na here I go sleep?
    Him: (Angrily) Ahn ahn. You no go find me something?
    Me: Ahn ahn. Na by force?
    Him: Find me something na (In a very harsh tone)
    Me: Ahn ahn. Dem no dey pay you salary?
    Him: (Raising his voice) Why you go talk that kain thing. It’s not fair. It’s not fair. Dem no dey find you something for your working place??

I was so sad after that incident ehn. I just couldn’t get over how someone could be so aggressive about begging. The next week I went to shoprite again, I saw this same guy and I tried to chide him about not being so forward because it can be off-putting.

My guy tell me say make I leave matter. That he gets paid only 15k and he has a family to feed. But how is that MY problem biko? Summarily, I told him to have a better attitude and things will come to him without him having to ask. Somewhere in my head I was even going to give him some money but the guy still told me to “leave matter” and that man must survive abeg.

I just left him jare and went my way.

And by the way, it’s not just these “classes” of people. It cuts across…..Check out your average Nigerian girlfriend- always wanting recharge card or free trips or brazillian hair etc etc. It cuts across………

10. Ola beemaself

July 21, 2014 at 4:51 pm

It’s called poverty and greed. They will have Ooo . They will still want your own smh. Na wa oooh

11. Giditalk

July 21, 2014 at 4:53 pm

She’ll get it anytime, anyday… Very sexy eyes 🙂

12. Toluwalope

July 21, 2014 at 5:56 pm

If you do birthday, they will ask you for birthday cake and if they do birthday they will ask you for gift ah ah…..na we naija alone waka come ni…..oga o

13. Http://xplorenollywood.blogspot.com

July 21, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Lmao! All people want is support. Give me, give me, give me! Dey Neva say Aunty take, take take!

14. Save Naija!

July 21, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Gbemi, thank you for this talking about this topic! I’m so sick of the begging culture of our people! Just like you said, they want you to finance their lifestyle which includes their children and all their self-made issues, i.e, having children, when they know that they can barely care for themselves! I hate how our people have degenerated into this “begging culture”, so sick of it!

15. AW

July 22, 2014 at 7:04 am

I really didn’t see anything wrong in what she said hat warranted all the insults she got in the comment section. One, she is not ugly! That is a very hurtful thing to say. Two, she is right, We have a begging culture in Nigeria, there is no denying that fact. We have this feeling of entitlement that anyone who is doing slightly better than us should be made to sponsor our lifestyle. It has become a “by force” thing. My personal favourite from relatives; “since you started working, have I eaten your money?” Meaning what now?

16. AW

July 22, 2014 at 7:05 am

*that*

17. oj

July 22, 2014 at 8:19 am

it truly is annoying. single ladies who are doing well financially are often targeted. the same relatives who beg them for money are the same people who would insult them for not being married.