News

Here’s What Pastor Kumuyi of Deeper Life Bible Church says About Alleged Ban on iPad & Android Devices

Pastor Kumuyi - December 2013 - BellaNaija
Yesterday, BN informed you that Encomium Weekly reported that Pastor Kumuyi of Deeper Life Bible Church, banned the use of iPad and Android devices during service.

A rep for the church has posted a message on Facebook, claiming it is false.
Read;

FALSE REPORT
“Pastor Kumuyi of Deeper Life Bible Church bans the Use of iPad & Android Devices” – Encomium Weekly.

The above report has been trending in the Social media from Tuesday, 15 July 2014.

THIS REPORT IS FALSE.

There was never a time as referred to in the article, when Pastor W.F. Kumuyi made this statement or “BANNED” the use of mobile devices in the Church.

As much as every Christ-loving believer is encouraged to give God his/her full attention when in Church or in any other place, where the Word of God is being taught, this story is HIGHLY MISCHIEVOUS and MISLEADING.

There is no doubt that Technology has its place in the spread of the gospel message as well as believers’ development where such is put into proper use but its misuse or abuse is not encouraged.

“Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you: And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: FOR ALL MEN HAVE NOT FAITH. But the Lord is faithful, WHO SHALL STABLISH YOU, and KEEP YOU FROM EVIL” 2 Thessalonians 3:1-3.

Remember, it is not everything from these sources that is true!

May the Lord keep you in the Truth and not be tossed about by errors, in Jesus’ Name. Amen!

1. Gistyinka Blog

July 16, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Another credit for BN, for following the rules of fair play of journalism.

2. CeeCee

July 16, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Don’t see the big deal. I personally think they should be banned.

3. Random Yoruba Boy

July 16, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Technology: A two edged sword.
    Choose your edge!!

4. @edDREAMZ

July 16, 2014 at 7:34 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    I no dey like put my mouth for church matter at all….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

5. Http://xplorenollywood.blogspot.com

July 16, 2014 at 11:08 pm

If there is a ban on phones, I personally think androids and iPads should be. All this it’s my bible or I’m typing the message to share with friends can be done after the service is over.

6. ***slim dee** a.k.a. lorenzO

July 17, 2014 at 10:34 am

I pity all of ina wey dey insult dis man is d only pastor in dis world dat I enjoy a lot till date I pray dat d GOD dat has took him to dis statge we continue to bless me nd him in jesus name! Pastor kumuyi I love you a lot GOD BLESS YOU DADDY………..

7. tee

July 17, 2014 at 10:41 am

Sir,i think all devices during service should be banned.People who truly know God and have a personal relationship with him don’t use ipads,phones in the church.Unfortunately not so many people know the true meaning of knowing God.

8. T2

July 17, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Kudos to BellaNaija. Your credibility, professionalism and follow up are few of the many reasons I’m a staunch follower! Journalist/internet bloggers in Nigeria need to start getting serious penalties for posting just anything!

9. Ms Geeky 30

July 17, 2014 at 3:26 pm

I really dont understand the reasoning behind the previous commenters’ points. Please explain to me how using you version (the bible) on an ipad as well as the note pad is different from using a pen and paper along with a hard copy bible to take notes and follow the word during a service?

I can understand the requirement for phones to be switched off or set to silent so as not to disturb other worshipers but tablets?

I would especially like ‘tee’ to explain how using electronic equipment rather than hard copies is a reflection of the user’s standing and relationship with God. I truly do not understand how you reached that conclusion at all.

For me, my ipad doubles as an organiser, bible, note pad (jotter), calculator, book case ( yes i buy and store all my books on it), camera, gps and satellite navigation system, tv, etc, In short, i do everything with it.

Any church that tries to force me to go back to paper is a church that I do not want to belong to.. Simples!

The thought of all that writing with ink not to mention the discomfort of not writing on a proper desk and/or table is enough to give me nightmares about carpal tunnel syndrom for life. No way! No freaking way!

10. Ebenezer Ayim

July 23, 2014 at 11:41 pm

The use of android and ibad or iPhone in churches have both positive and negative effects on we the Christians,the positive aspect of it is when one use them at the right way.That is reading the bible downloaded on it and not sending messages on Facebook or twittering while the pastor is preaching. It’s a matter of showing respect to God.

11. Bro Ben

July 28, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Using devices during service will definitely distract you, no doubt. Heaven is a matter of choice, but if your right hand offend you, cut it off…

12. Sylvester Adams

August 21, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Lets beware of Satan’s distractions. like Bro. Ben rightly said. Lets also read our Bibles from ”The Book” itself during Church services., not from ipads or phones. This is well pleasing to the Lord. Brethren, lets don’t allow the enemy to distract us from ”The Book”. I mean the BIBLE.. With the Bible in our hands when going to fellowship is distinguishing. It’s also reveals our identity with Christ. Satan is subtly replacing the Bible with modern devices. to cause believers to be lazy and ultimately become ashame to carry their Bibles.. Lets stay with the BOOK – THE BIBLE. .

13. kayodeojopeter

May 1, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Heaven is our goal .using phone during service can cause distractions God bless Christians

14. momo karbo.

September 19, 2015 at 12:45 am

Ah na wahala for pastor. In the war between the dark ages, foreign religiosity and modern technology, my orga pastor has lost already. The only place that these backwardness is thriving, is in the continent, particularly Naija. I prefer these pastors try improving the social and economic malaise of the people, than on their over bloated egos. My advice is, for all of them, to invest on tend to the untold miseries of the poor, than to be focusing on enriching themselves, by selling real estates in that imaginary heaven, when they are having a wonderful fun life here, with their families, friends and cronies.