News

Wife of Late Ebola Victim Speaks: Our 3 Daughters Will Never Know their Dad

Wife of Liberian Ebola Man - July 2014 - BN News - BellaNaija.com 04
RIP Patrick Sawyer.

It has been revealed that the man who recently died of Ebola in Lagos, is also an American citizen who has a wife Decontee Sawyer and three daughters in Minnesota.

The man lived in Minnesota for about a decade, but moved back to Liberia in 2008 but was scheduled to join his family in August. He was coming back to celebrate two of his daughters’ birthdays.

In an interview with KSTP, Decontee speaks on the deadly virus and how their three young daughters will never get to know their father anymore.

“I don’t want all of this to be for nothing. I have three girls who will never get to know their father.”, she says.

She also said that it is easy to think that Ebola is a problem on the other side of the world, but that is not entirely correct.
Wife of Liberian Ebola Man - July 2014 - BN News - BellaNaija.com 91
“It’s a global problem because Patrick could’ve easily come home with Ebola. Easy. Easy. It’s close, it’s at our front door. It knocked down my front door.”

She hopes the death of husband serves as a wake-up call. “This can happen anymore. I don’t want any more families going through what I’m going through. So I pray, and then I’m ready to fight.”

Watch!

1. bruno

July 29, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Is there no cure for this ebola disease? by the way, people believe this ebola disease is a man made disease, made by white people to reduce the black population in africa,

• nene

July 30, 2014 at 4:02 pm

it is definitely man made. population control. they create diseases and make people sick. remember swine flu/bird flu, AIDS/HIV, anthrax, etc Most times these diseases are transferred in the form of vaccines. Humans are truly evil.

2. Wale

July 29, 2014 at 3:00 pm

…but it was really inconsiderate of him to travel knowing fully well he had been exposed to his sick sister who had fully blown Ebola and had died from it just weeks earlier. Even more daft of him, since he works for WASH Ecowas. His job at WASH was to help contain diseases from spreading. Good riddance…

• Changing Faces

July 29, 2014 at 3:15 pm

How callous and mean can people be? How do you know he suspected he had the virus? It’s so easy to blame the man without knowing the full story, with all your self righteousness! It’s someone’s father and brother you say good riddance to… hope your kids won’t one day say that about you!

• Sugabelly

July 30, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Because his SISTER had just died of Ebola last week. That’s how he knew.

• L

July 29, 2014 at 3:34 pm

its such a shame that it’s so easy to lash out your tongue and make such judgemental comments. so you weren’t moved enough to say RIP at least, that’s so inhumane. anyway, lets just keep praying and fighting because this disease may be more widespread than we think Sawyer’s wife said. think about other travellers who may not have been diagnosed and have probably entered the country long before sawyer did. just because Sawyer was at full blown stage and discovered doesn’t rule out the possibility that many more travellers at latent stages aren’t bringing in the problem. God help us all. RIP Sawyer.

• Idak

July 29, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I was seeing your point until I got to that good riddance part. Do you have a father? Under what conditions would you wish to get rid of him?

• Truth

July 29, 2014 at 9:04 pm

You are a horrible horrible person! Haba!

• Dee

July 30, 2014 at 10:43 am

Wow. So inconsiderate!!!!

• elle

July 31, 2014 at 5:15 pm

I Thot so too until I watched his wife saying he dint kno his sis had it.they Thot it was malaria.

3. jeremy's mum

July 29, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Bless those poor kids. RIP Patrick Sawyerr the father his daughters would never know. This must be painful

4. Dee

July 29, 2014 at 4:08 pm

People should stop making rash decisions about the man. I doubt he would have boarded a plane if he knew he had contacted Ebola. He would have tried to get himself the best health care as soon as possible if he knew. It’s terrible to die in a strange country with the people scared of you. I really feel for his family.

5. Justme

July 29, 2014 at 5:06 pm

It’s so sad, the guy shouldn’t have boarded the plane n expose others to the disease. I hope Nigeria and other neighbouring nations are taking stringent measures to ensure that they reduce the risk of others catching this deadly disease. And we must thank those risking their lives to nurse the sickly.

6. baboushka

July 29, 2014 at 5:37 pm

BN I wish you had posted the whole story in the link where I read the full interview she came across as being more concerned with the fact that he could have brought it to their doorstep than the fact that he was dead!

7. papermoon

July 29, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Its sad that his children will not get the chance to know him, thats bad. however he should have known that his decision to get on a plain and come to Nigeria might cost many more children their parents, siblings, friends and even the lives of the children. He is lucky to have a wife and three children to survive him. some families have lost everyone because some one decided to fly in with ebola. WE MUST BE CAREFUL, WE CANT TAKE CHANCES

8. leo

July 29, 2014 at 6:25 pm

With the nature of his job and his experience it is obvious that he knew that he was infected with the Ebola virus!…Why must he come to Nigeria?did he suddenly discover in the airplane?Why did he go straight to the hospital right from the airport? Its a deliberate act to infect Nigerians….I concur to Wale’s view above!

9. armywife

July 29, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Hmm we had it coming and should have taken better precautions because we still have terrorism to deal with. For him to have collapsed after getting off the plane means he wasn’t asymptomatic and had a sister who died from it not long ago maybe I would have had myself checked. But really we dont know what happened maybe he didnt even have contact wirh his sister I live off awolowo road not far from where he died. Am terrified I suspect everyone. Even bought hand sanitisers for my neighbours. Let’s all help ourselves and may GOd help us too

10. uche

July 29, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Nigeria at this point should have ensured that any passenger from any of the effected countries should have gotten cleared. Same way we have to get the yellow cards to go to Kenya or so.(clearing u of yellow fever and its like)…….. common, naija we no even try…

• Idak

July 29, 2014 at 9:56 pm

We no try at all.

11. 37clues styling

July 29, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Btw, dettol no longer has hand sanitizers in their lagos warehouse. I drove miles today to get one!

12. jinkelele

July 30, 2014 at 12:19 am

PLease hand sanitisers are anti-bacterial , EBOLA is a Virus oh so hand sanitisers will not work so WASH YOUR HANDS

• kk

July 30, 2014 at 10:06 am

I AGREE!! PLEASE WASH YOUR HANDS AND QUIT USING HAND SANITIZERS

13. Endowed

July 30, 2014 at 1:05 am

God please help us eliminate this deadly disease

14. Pemisire

July 30, 2014 at 3:21 pm

@jinkelele…so we should go about with water and soap right? While trying to sound enlightened don’t put people’s lives in jeopardy.. please lets carry our sanitizer

15. PASTOR JOSEPH NWADUBASIM

August 1, 2014 at 2:51 am

EBOLA VIRUS IS THE EFFECT OF WORLDLINESS. GOD HAVE MERCY ON US.