Relationships

Kevin Hart’s Ex-Wife Torrei claims when Black Men reach a Level of Success, they date Light Skinned Girls

BellaNaija.com

Kevin Hart - May 2014 - BellaNaija.com
And the conversation about team light skinned and team dark skinned continues.

In May, Torrei made headlines after bashing Kevin’s model girlfriend Eniko Parrish.

In an interview with Cherise Nicole, the VH1 Atlanta Exes star talked about getting over Kevin and why black date outside their race when they become successful.

On black men dating outside their race when they become successful: “Honestly, it wasn’t all Kevin’s fault. I won’t say it was all his fault. Cause I look back now and I take ownership of some of the things I could’ve did differently. But, I did question my beauty. I did question like, wow, why is it that all black men, when they reach a certain level, they have to feel like they need someone of another race, or a different skin tone on their arm? And I’m just like, well why aren’t we looked at as beautiful? We’re beautiful black queens! You know what I mean? And I love my black men.

You know and I support them 100% And I don’t feel like, once I make it, I gotta go to the other side! You know? And not saying, cause I’ve dated outside my race, I have, but I just don’t feel, like I need it on my arm to feel better about myself. And I just feel like, sometimes our men do.”

On not being a bitter ex: “You know they say, she done went crazy! Or BITTER! And it’s like no, did you forget what you did? You know, but honestly it’s about how we react to what they do. And you know, it’s about changing your reaction. And I was hurt. I was deeply hurt, I knew this man, way before any of the celebrity and any of the fame. And we had children and I thought marriage was forever, but it’s not.”

I just have to accept this situation for what it is and move forward now. That’s when I felt like a load is off. You know I just felt free. I was like, you know I did a little bonfire in my back yard, I put his name on a list, with everybody else, who during that time, you know, who I thought had my back, but didn’t. You know, I was like, I forgive this person. I forgive this person. And I just did a list. And I went out to my backyard and I prayed on it. And I lit on fire and I buried it and gave it to God. And when I tell you honey, like chills. I really felt like freedom. I really felt free. So, that was just something I did. You learn what tools you need to get passed certain experiences that bring you down.”

Watch the interview

1. Tunde

August 19, 2014 at 2:06 am

Team lightskinned gurls

• TexasHausaGirl

August 19, 2014 at 7:56 am

Tunde that’s why you wanted to burst your carotid artreies defending Kim K. Highest level of ignorance. Men like you are ugly as f…k. Like my friend once said, “once a black man makes couple of hundreds of thousands of dollars, they dont want to date any girl that have the same color as their Mama”

• Paloma

August 19, 2014 at 9:07 am

smh ! on Point jare @TexasHausagirl

• Busola

August 19, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Ain’t about black or light skin. But truth be told, a large percent of those African american women aren’t good wife material….

• Jom

August 19, 2014 at 9:19 pm

You sound stupid. if it ain’t about black/light skin, then why do you GENERALIZED African american women as aren’t good wife materials. also, Whites and Hispanics are getting the most divorces.

• Busola

August 19, 2014 at 10:04 pm

@jom voicing my opinion doesn’t call for the insult. Give yours and let it go. Life ain’t that complicated.

2. Ona

August 19, 2014 at 2:10 am

Is Kev’s current babe light skinned tho? She’s brown/caramel to me….not light.

• Bella

August 19, 2014 at 11:02 am

Kevin Hart‘s ex-wife Torrie Hart who filed for divorce from the movie star when he cheated years back, is speaking out yet again..
      Do note that she divorced Kevin and NOT the other way round, so what is the beef here, kilode? will she not let him go as he cheated on her and move on with her life, na wa o! She divorced him.. what business is it of hers whom he dates. We need to stop being bitter on decisions we have taken, if she let him go, so where did she want him to go to! ah ah… Please and this light skin vs. dark skin is so lame! He chose a woman he fell in love with, regardless of money or not, if it was her, wouldn’t she have > she needs to stop with them interviews, get her child care cheques, focus on her life and move right along!

• Blessing

August 19, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Ode! She should have remained with him while he was cheating? Chimpanzee

• Jom

August 19, 2014 at 9:21 pm

How do you know what she is saying is lie. YOu do not know Kevin. yes she seem bitter but what caused that bitterness. Maybe it is the reason in what she is saying. She knows Kevin, we do not.

3. magh

August 19, 2014 at 2:40 am

the woman nor dey tire ?? yes it hurts.. but she always talks about him like girllllll move on!! you deserve better..just stop talking about him! okay he just proposed to his “heart”..whatchu gon do ?.. and why did she keep the name hart ? coz there’s a new mrs hart now ..or is it for business purposes ? ..since he proposed today what more news does she want to tell the public ? just move on mehn and stop talking about him on your interviews, don’t make him important!

• Beeee

August 19, 2014 at 6:33 am

Lmao @ his heart……

• Bella

August 19, 2014 at 11:04 am

dear, thank you o!! Self respect is key. Change your name back to your own self , focus on improving your career and life, and keep his kids on his surname and for the love of all things good, stop with the interviews.. YOU divorced him NOT him. Move on!! Did she prefer that he suffer in loneliness cause she divorced him? I don’t know what else this woman wants???

• Charisma

August 19, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Some women keep their married last name for their children. Its nothing new.

4. Breezy

August 19, 2014 at 2:42 am

If she has truly forgiven him and moved on, she has to stop talking about him. I get it, it hurts but has to now focus on other parts of her life.
    P.S Kevin just proposed to Neeki.

5. peace

August 19, 2014 at 2:56 am

She is absolutely right. Leaving and dating in America is like hard. I am not saying interracial marriage is wrong, but must guys here….smh. It all comes down to who you love, but trust me most times it is all for show.

6. Tatafo

August 19, 2014 at 3:52 am

I think she has a point. Sad.

7. Beeee

August 19, 2014 at 4:01 am

Ermmmmm…….Aunty, enough of talking about your ex. Yes he cheated, yes you were hurt but it’s been over 4 or 5 years…and he has proposed to his “light skinned” woman….let it go…..jeeez

8. latifa

August 19, 2014 at 4:32 am

Oh please she really needs to shut up and let go…..Gabrielle Union isn’t light skin etc…..I’m tired of people making it seem as if light skin girls are the cause of their problems…..*hiss*

9. Carliforniabawlar

August 19, 2014 at 5:17 am

Darn it!! How about you go ahead and be a successful dark-skinned woman and then you can date any man you want to!! from dark-skinned to light-skinned to even oyinbo sef! Shebi most interracial marriages are between dark-skinned successful women and white men anyways, so my sister stfu and make something of your life outside of talking about black men and their trifling ways….shuuu!!

• Thatgidigirl

August 19, 2014 at 7:26 am

Preach! seek to be worth knowing rather than to be known…..shuuu. Pathetic!

10. Rolake

August 19, 2014 at 5:48 am

I did not beg anyone to be dark ooo so it’s too
    Bad she feels that way
    #Team Red Bone # loving it

11. Som1 play her Toke’s “things we don’t want to see in 2014” vlog. No more #TeamLightSkin or #TeamDarkSkin bleach or don’t bleach. Its ur skin. Stop making it an issue

12. Suraya

August 19, 2014 at 7:09 am

Isn’t this the very reason that many girls in Nigeria are bleaching anyway? Soon Nigeria will be extinct of dark skinned girls. There are too many FBI’s in Naija (Formerly Black Individuals).

• Bella

August 19, 2014 at 11:06 am

LOL @ FBI.. Oh you just make me LOL

• Oma

August 20, 2014 at 5:12 am

There can really be no extinction of dark skinned girls except someone invents a way to bleach the .

13. ade

August 19, 2014 at 7:37 am

As much as she sounds bitter, she is telling a valid point! very valid! I dont get the craze for light skinned girls but it is very real! both in Africa and African American communities. Its one of the things I bet will never go away totally like racism and double standards

14. TexasHausaGirl

August 19, 2014 at 7:56 am

Tunde that’s why you wanted to burst your carotid artreies defending Kim K. Highest level of ignorance. Men like you are ugly as f…k. Like my friend once said, “once a black man makes couple of hundreds of thousands of dollars, they want to date any girl that have the same color as their Mama”

15. Stella Otuore

August 19, 2014 at 7:57 am

@SURAYA FBI IN NIGERIA Jesus got me LMFAO! You are funny but its the truth

16. kwj

August 19, 2014 at 8:30 am

A lot of u re saying rubish here,yes she wil definately move on but aw do u feel wen u strtd dating sumone who is a nobody and wen he became famous he starts misbehaving?ure busy saying Teamwhite girls and teamblack gals. is dat all dat was written on dis story..u canneva understand bcos u ve neva bin dere,if u want to knw aw it hurt go look 4 Annie idibia to tel u aw she felt wen 2face was misbehaving.u must not comment bcos odas re commenting.must of u dnt even knw dem.pls mind wat u say

17. benny

August 19, 2014 at 8:48 am

Tunde is allowed to prefer light skinned women over dark skinned women. It is called preference. He is allowed to like Kim K; I don’t but he is allowed to. People are allowed to like what they like pre or post money. The real issue here is Kevin Hart cheated on his wife.
    My man loves my skin colour; Should we kill him for it? I love my man’s skin; he is very dark. I loathe light skinned men. Many girls openly express their dislike for lighter skinned men. If u are a light skinned man u are often the butt of jokes in black America. Why haven’t we attacked this phenomenon the same way we are attacking the supposed preference for light skinned girls.
    Do you know how many times a darker skinned girl has told me “if u were not light skinned, u won’t have been this pretty” or “na ur colour help you o”? I haven’t killed myself nor run to start a discussion with it. I’m fine with myself. We are all blacks in the end. Even Amber Rose in her whiteness is considered black. Mariah Carey barely gets a pass to be white; its nothing.
    If u don’t love the skin u are in, PLEASE STOP POINTING FINGERS. don’t carry out your issues on Toke, Dencia and every other person u consider bleached. And stop carrying out ur issues on light skinned women.
    Everyone has a right to a choice and no one is stuffing that choice down ur throat.

• Bella

August 19, 2014 at 11:09 am

the most sensible comment here thank you for this!! its all a choice, so why take panado for someone’s headache.

• Jom

August 19, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Well, many whites do NOT want to deal with blacks. That is a preference also; but blacks get upset if a whites say they do not want to deal with blacks.

• Jackie

July 24, 2015 at 10:41 pm

Stop confusing what a person’s right is with what is actually mentally healthy and functioning. You have a mental problem. And you contradicted yourself throughout the entire post. People in my country have a right to have sex with hose of the same sex. They have a right to be transgender. Those in white supremacists groups have a right to rally, march, and say the most racist crap thanks to our laws that protect their freedom of speech and to congregate. I don’t give a damn about what a person has the rift to do, this ficus soon is about why people do what they do and if it is mentally healthy and a positive way to think. Being caught up on color when we all black us not mentally healthy. Nothing that comes out of black genes rather it be light or dark skin is ugly or undesirable. And the only reason black folks is caught up on color and make a big deal out of it is because we live in a racist and color obsessed society. Bottom line period. Woman heal and stop telling people about how they should operate and color struck and mentally dysfunctional.

18. Dora the explorer

August 19, 2014 at 8:53 am

sucks to be her

19. benny

August 19, 2014 at 9:22 am

While we are on this triviality, Sudanese model Ataui Deng has been missing for 2 weeks. She was just found in a hospital. Bella please can we shed some light on that?

20. Wale

August 19, 2014 at 9:49 am

I think the ex is light skinned too, so what exactly is her beef? The ex is very pretty/cute she has dainty features.
    In fact, I prefer her to his new fiancée. But like most have mentioned she should move on and enjoy her alimony, its been what, five years now. Please chiiiiild, get a life. Find yourself a rich cute white man and equalize your revenge.

21. sadidy

August 19, 2014 at 10:01 am

damn shame. feel so sorry for her. she must have been truly hurt, i dont think her reaction is abnormal, she was cheated on and dumped publicly by a man she swore forever with. its not easy. i love Kevin Hart but he had better make sure this new marriage works.

22. Patrice

August 19, 2014 at 10:17 am

You know what they say………The same you got him is the same way your gonna loose them. You know that girl wouldn’t have even given him a second look if he still worked at that shoe store and was broke. You are beautiful Torrie. Go get you a tall handsome brother…. lol

• Bella

August 19, 2014 at 11:10 am

LOL.. and give us all peace na!!

23. spoonfullofsugar

August 19, 2014 at 10:31 am

Move on already!

24. They have come again

August 19, 2014 at 10:55 am

Insecurity issues again

25. Ezzy Boy Monday

August 19, 2014 at 10:57 am

all of u are crazily funny

26. LIKE SERIOUSLY

August 19, 2014 at 11:03 am

All this black american english that they speak sef…smh. Torrie, you are now getting paid for being on ATLANTA EXES. There are so many exes like you who were approached for the show but refused and you accepted being the attention seeker you are.Get over it. Kevin will get his own reward too when the time comes if all this is the truth.

• Ohmine

August 19, 2014 at 2:43 pm

@ like seriously, I taya for their english o. E fit blow up person ear.

27. sum1special

August 19, 2014 at 11:04 am

I wish she can truly move on and forget talking about her ex.

28. yourstrulyblogposts.blogspot.com

August 19, 2014 at 11:52 am

Either she is speaking the truth or she is a jealous ex – hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Black men who have reached a level of success may be dating light skinned women for a number of reasons – Maybe they have inferiority complex, it could be their preference, maybe those girls do not have an attitude wider than the ocean or no particular reason at all. I remain objective!!!!!!

29. Charisma

August 19, 2014 at 1:01 pm

People keep telling this woman to move on and calling her bitter. Most of these females saying that have never been married. Marriage is a whole different ball game than just being in a relationship. Don’t tell this woman how to feel. If she wants to speak on her pain, let her. There’s people in this world who keep their pain hidden until they have a breakdown out of fear being ridiculed for speaking up.

• Jom

August 19, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I agree. I bet you someone the same folks have done the same thing but want to judge this woman. I hope she should move on but I will NOT tell her when to do so, she has to do it on her own. She divorced him but maybe she had do even though she did not want to. Who knows.

30. peace

August 19, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I don’t think she is bitter, i think she is speaking the truth. When you start labeling eg #lightskinned girls, then that becomes discrimination against dark girls. Trust me this is a very serious issue here in the states, and i have met girls who aren’t lightskinned feeling they are not beautiful enough. Its sad but true.

31. Kayla

August 19, 2014 at 2:25 pm

She’s a woman scorned, get over it and get you another man. When you go searching don’t search in Munchkin town, go find someone who doesn’t look like your little brother. I’m a black woman and I find her ridiculous rant childish and erroneous. Denzel Washington has been with his wife for years and she’s far from “light skinned” The president of the U.S is not married to a “light skinned woman and he’s the epitome of success! Grow up “EX” and get a life!

• Jom

August 19, 2014 at 9:28 pm

kayla, please, every black man is NOT like Denzel. Don’t act like you do not know what this woman is talking about.. if not, you are in some serious denial.

32. Quirky

August 19, 2014 at 2:29 pm

yo! you guys need to take a chill pill and leave Torrei alone. When a man that you give your all too leaves you for another woman it is hard. You doubt everything and begin to question everything about yourself. Then you just want to talk about it forever.. because talking helps you. So let her talk about the breakup forever if she wants too. If you don’t want to hear it. don’t read. But don’t talk like it is so easy to move on.
    And stop making it seems like she’s pathetic for talking.. Please let her be and let her deal however she wants and however long it takes.

33. NaijaPikin

August 19, 2014 at 3:15 pm

All she has a show that premiered last night…….She has to draw attention to herself, to draw attention to the show, to increase ratings, to ensure they bag another season.

so as crazy as all these sounds, i will have to call it a PR move.

34. Jom

August 19, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Regardless if she is bitter or not, she is telling the truth. Stop acting like what she is saying is lie. Truth hurts. Colorism exist in black culture just like Racism exist in white and other non black cultures (and both want to act like they are in denial about it but you can see it in everyone’s actions).

35. hmm

August 19, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Yea what she is saying is the truth. Bust she does need to move on. I feel like the black community shames light skin girls. Sometimes I feel so bad about myself. They have this thing now like they say every light skin girl turns down guys, and don’t reply back. Me i haven’t had a boyfriend yet talk-less of one trying to text me. All the guys I like don’t ever like me back. I was born like that. Some girl in my school told me you’re lucky that you are light-skin you will be so ugly if you were dark. god chose the perfect tone for you. Or the natural hair one. If you don’t have natural hair you are not proud to be black and all that bullshit. Oh you can shame skinny girls who some are naturally skinny. Referencing them saying they aren’t real women. Everybody is guilty honestly. I like my skin, God gave it to me for a reason. I like my permed hair because I LIKE it. My own is that lets stop all the hating because to the whites we ARE ALL BLACK. THEY STILL SEE US AS BELOW THEM,THEY ARE KILLING OUR SONS,LETTING PEOPLE DIE OF EPIDEMICS BECAUSE THEY AREN’T AMERICAN OR EUROPEAN,

• blessing

August 20, 2014 at 4:06 am

the thing about that is that the lighter you are the better you are treated, even by whites.

36. brenda

August 20, 2014 at 2:27 am

some black men do put black dark skin woman down win i was at a club a black men say oh she is dark and my sister told him ……..she is pretty. you have to love yourself a lot of black men do get light or white women. in ca. some black men dont even look at a dark skin woman.,

37. Douala

August 20, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Seriously. Why do some African American girls talk like this? Incapable of putting together a succinct, coherent sentence. “You know I just felt free. I was like, you know ………..” I suspect this is one of the reasons they feel that when SOME of their men become successful, they move on.

This woman sounds whiny, childish, nagging, lacking in self confidence and too focused on how others supposedly have wronged her. And this is just from one interview. Imagine what it must feel like to live with her everyday. And then add to that the sloppy language. No wonder the guy moved on.

38. kemi jones

September 17, 2014 at 7:12 pm

please leave in the world that is not true, count the black celebrity marry to a dark skin black women…..accept this…it a fact….

39. Jaylips

January 12, 2015 at 3:40 pm

With Black men it isn’t about lightskin, darkskin or white…we like beautiful, sexy, calm, zero drama! Unfortunately our Black women love making excuses when they need to just do. I went to my oldest son’s college gradaution and walk through his campus. I’ve never seen so many out of shape black women under the age of 24 in my life. And if you do find one that’s decent looking her attitude sucks or she trying to get paid as much as she can for it. You want your blackmen back; stop making excuses about why you’re full of drama, why you have a bad attitude, why you let yourself get over weight…etc. Because those white girls are keeping it tight, keeping you happy in the bedroom, keeping piece and keeping your men.

40. Jerome Taylor

August 7, 2018 at 5:49 pm

At the end of the day, you date or marry ANYBODY you want to! Nobody tells me what to do or whom to be with!! Black women generally seem to have this issue of who other black men date, whether it be light skinned or whatever race! What do you care about your EX’s choices and to whom he wants to be with!! To even bring up the conversation strongly indicates BITTERNESS and jealousy!! Let it go, and find you someone to hangout with!! I don’t hear that same individual talking about all the black women who are favoring the white boys! Not a peep on that subject and why is that? Again, do YOU and let your EX be happy with whomever he chooses!!