News

Meet the “Channel Changers”! Laverne Cox, Danai Gurira, Nicole Beharie & Alfre Woodard cover Essence Mag

Essence October 2014 Cover
2014 has been a great year for television! With the success of Kerry Washington on Scandal, it has opened the door for more black women on TV.

For their October 2014 issue, ESSENCE Magazine “gathered four of the hottest stars in prime time for their October “Channel Changers” cover story, in which Alfre Woodard (who plays the president in upcoming show State of Affairs), Laverne Cox (from Emmy-nominated series Orange is the New Black), Nicole Beharie (Sleepy Hollow) and Danai Gurira (The Walking Dead) sit down to discuss this exciting moment in television.”

Are you loving the cover? Pick up the new issue of ESSENCE, on stands or iTunes on Friday Sept. 5 2014.

1. Springsteps

August 28, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Love to always read about black succesful women. Well done ladies

2. Naveah

August 28, 2014 at 8:22 pm

These women are naturally beautiful, I don’t know why they had to photoshop them to within half an inch of their lives, it is terrible!

3. bruno

August 28, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I find this transgender thing to be very degrading and insulting to real women,dear mr laverne you are not a woman, but a man in a dress. You can’t take a lemon and paint it green and call it a lime.

• Non professional opinion

August 28, 2014 at 10:46 pm

As if you give a fig about the feelings of real women. It’s pretty common for gay men to be hateful towards transgendered people. And you are a particular hypocrite because you come on here ranting about the narrow minded bigotry of anyone who isn’t you. Do you hate lesbians and bisexuals too for a hat-trick? The tolerance you feel towards “others” will be the same that you will recieve.

• bruno

August 29, 2014 at 2:06 am

@non professional, pls keep silent,I don’t think I should explain anything to you.I am very against surgery for beautifying and changing your natural look,(I don’t respect actresses or musicians who have had surgery to look beautiful), beauty is on the inside,and who told you I don’t like women, I love women, not just in a sexual way,beyonce and rihanna are my goddesses.I love ellen degeneres, queen latifah,so shut up

• Non professional opinion

August 29, 2014 at 8:18 am

@bruno Even if I kept quiet, your own words speak volumes. Trying to back track and make this about a distaste for surgery is really disingenuous. All your “Goddesses” have had a nip and tuck so your point is as useless as your bigotry is transparent. You assumed that because this site holds a lot of Christians and conservatives it would be a safe place to bash transsexuals. Nice try!
      “Beauty is on the inside”….. How would you know?

• alviscali

August 29, 2014 at 9:20 am

thats a very myopic and stupid (dare i say) comment to make…sometimes it is better to be silent and be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove of doubts….how is another person’s life degrading yours???are u that insecure in your assigned gender???smh

• bruno

August 29, 2014 at 10:47 am

Whether u like it or not,he can never be a real woman, its not real, cut and sew your face, chest etc ur inside will still be a man’s insides,man bones,prostate etc. I want to be white,I am going to start bleaching my skin, dye my hair blonde and wear blue contact lens, (that is self hate) I wiLl demand u call me white and I demand real white people identify me as white and not call me -, and I must enjoy all the white privileges. Nonsense, its not real.

• Queen Ekuba

September 2, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Wow Bruno, as a member of the LGBT community (a bisexual woman to be specific) I’m most disappointed that you can type such a transphobic comment. The same way you’re saying that being trans is insulting to ‘real women’ is the same way homophobes say that gay men are insulting to ‘real men’ & that they’re not natural etc because by their estimation all men must be attracted to women only & have hetero intercourse.

• Queen Ekuba

September 2, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Gender is fluid concept. Several cultures have understood this including native Americans who believed in a 3rd sex. This is why major psychological associations like the American Psychiatric Association have stated that being trans isn’t a mental disorder. The same way you & I knew we were gay & bi from childhood (or at least adolescence) is the same way trans people knew from childhood that they were a particular sex.

• Queen Ekuba

September 2, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Trans people have done a lot of activism in the LGBT community & taken a lot of flack in order for some of us (gay, bi etc) to enjoy the human rights protection & benefits we do now, at least in Western countries. Trans people are still subjected to a lot of abuse & have higher rates of being abused, murdered etc. than other members of the LGBT community. Please, for the love of God, read more about Trans people & their struggles so that you don’t spew such transphobic statements elsewhere. Peace

4. bruno

August 28, 2014 at 8:32 pm

All I see is 3 beautiful women and 1 man who thinks he’s a woman, the last time I checked real women didn’t have penises, and pls don’t give me that bull sh!t “female brain,born in the wrong body,” if ur brain is female, why can’t ur female brain tell ur body to produce female hormones,(the brain controls all activities of the body)

• jinkelele

August 29, 2014 at 1:02 am

See who’s talking? You NEED a mirror

• bruno

August 29, 2014 at 2:11 am

Straight people date straight people, gay people date gay people, but transgender can never date another transgender, because their sex organs are not real, this transgender thing is a disorder and all illusion, I want to be addressed as a 10 time oscar winner, that’s my illusion,but that’s not reality. Change all the outside,but the inside will still be the same. Man bones,you still have a prostate etc.

• alviscali

August 29, 2014 at 9:21 am

another uneducated misinformed comment….smh

• bruno

August 29, 2014 at 10:54 am

@alviscali,I can tell ur a tranny, oya educate us, this cover just shows the world,that black women are masculine, a man can wear a wig and a pound of make up and be called a black woman. U can’t see white people mixing, julia roberts, jennifer lawrence,on a cover with a man dressed as a woman,its impossible, white women are regarded as feminine and soft while black women are regarded as masculine and hard, (beyonce rihanna and halle berry are all mixed so they don’t really count) a pure black women is regarded as masculine and this magazine cover enforces that stereotype,identifying a man as a black woman, there are other actresses like emmy winner uzo aduba or keri Washington,viola davis, octavia spencer, that could have been on the cover.

5. Lindsey

August 28, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Laverne’s jawline tho? Lmao…girl you iz a dude

6. Koenigin

August 28, 2014 at 9:08 pm

*sprinkling some holy water on this mag cover*

laverne cox, can tuck IT back between his legs all he wants and own more wigs than Wendy Williams and Beyonce brought together but he’ll always remain a man. As far as I’m concerned I see three women on this mag cover. Anything else equals nonsense.

7. www.thelmathinks.blogspot.com

August 28, 2014 at 10:07 pm

I’m so happy for Laverne Cox. Good on you Hun! I still don’t feel quite comfortable calling you a woman but I do love you and I wish you only good things. (Meanwhile can OITNB season 3 come out already?!)

8. missme

August 29, 2014 at 3:00 am

Danai needs to blow biko. She is talented!

9. Keeping itReal

August 29, 2014 at 3:18 am

Mr. Cox have a – Case Closed!

10. JJ

August 29, 2014 at 5:05 am

Danai Gurira stands out in this picture. Such a beautiful, talented woman.

• Queen Ambi

September 2, 2014 at 12:14 am

I agree, she is GORGEOUS. A real natural beauty.

11. Kina

August 29, 2014 at 8:12 am

The one person that stands out as beautiful, is the girl with natural hair she looks 100% female, She just glows. The other wigalicious people all look as fake as each other. There is a moral in this picture and it is an epiphany for me.

12. CHY

August 29, 2014 at 8:40 am

where’s uzo aduba, not complete without her.

13. tzippy

August 29, 2014 at 11:26 am

Just passing by, sipping my green tea + lemon…and reading @bruno and @non professional opinion bicker at each other..too funny…God bless everyone!!..hehe

14. Queen Ambi

September 2, 2014 at 12:17 am

Laverne Cox looks a hot mess. He’s nothing but a man playing dress up. Essence mag, get ready for backlash.