News

Nigeria loses to Germany in FIFA U-20 Women’s WC Final

BellaNaija.com

Nigeria v Germany: Final - FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup Canada 2014
So close.

Nigeria’s Falconets lost to Germany in the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup final which took place on Sunday 24th August 2014 in Montreal, Canada. It was 1-0.

After 90 minutes and an extra time, Lena Petermann scored for her country, defeating Peter Dedevbo‘s (Falconets coach) girls.

This will be the third time Germany will win the competition.

But it wasn’t a total loss for Nigeria.

Asisat Oshoala

Asisat Oshoala

Falconets forward Asisat Oshoala was voted the Most Valuable player at the 2014 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Canada.

She won the Golden Ball award as the best player and Golden Boot after scoring seven goals.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

1. Christian Anasieze Osita

August 25, 2014 at 4:15 am

It’s not total lost for falconets

• George macaulay

August 25, 2014 at 10:43 am

I will love to say congrate to our women who as made nigeria proud.i know u have done ur best,and it’s not easy.i pray continue to strength our women amen.

• Ogundele kolawole

August 25, 2014 at 12:03 pm

It is not a total loss. Let’s celebrate them. Falconets, I appreciate and celebrate you

• ola ololade

August 25, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Nigeria won d tornament but Germany won d trophy

• Kate

August 25, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Thank you!…. Well said. I watched the games and they played by far better than Germany. Strong team

2. hi callistus

August 25, 2014 at 6:04 am

nigeria girls were beaten but no disgraced hence they could drag the Almighty German’s to extra time.This shows that, that cup is inching closer to Nigerian soil.Thanks to the coaching crews/ our gallant girls.

3. ethel

August 25, 2014 at 7:56 am

well they tried.it is never easily.congrat gals

4. Dennis Hembaor

August 25, 2014 at 8:08 am

Congrats Nigerians. De Falconets lost de trophy but won de hearts of de entire world.

5. rushacole

August 25, 2014 at 8:48 am

well done Nigeria! you tried. What an older man can do, a younger woman can do way better. Thumbs up Girls….

6. tochukwu

August 25, 2014 at 9:03 am

the girls really tried,they play wonderfuly

7. charity

August 25, 2014 at 9:25 am

congrats girls, you people played well

8. Saheed olatoye

August 25, 2014 at 9:42 am

Weldon girls una 2uuumuch.

9. chichi

August 25, 2014 at 10:09 am

Osulla is a gud player but can be selfish in playing atimes. She shld be tot that football is team game not personal game. They tried so hard but yet hrtbreaking to lost.

10. Omang

August 25, 2014 at 10:19 am

Thank God for Our girls has come of age in female soccer, I am impress and good work girls n coaching crew.

11. AITO EROMOSELE JACOBSON

August 25, 2014 at 10:23 am

IT WAS A GREAT GAME FOR NIGERIA. THERE IS NO REGRET. THEY DESERVE WINNERS’ RECEPTION. THEY MADE NIGERIANS PROUD.

12. ACHIMA ASSAM

August 25, 2014 at 10:39 am

Bravo to the girls, gud job.

13. Tymo

August 25, 2014 at 11:30 am

I never new that our girls will loss, but never the less they try much. Up falconet

14. ALEX

August 25, 2014 at 12:06 pm

We had a good tourney.. am proud of our young gals.. i love Courtney Dike.

15. Black Racist

August 25, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I congrats to the falconnettes for reaching the final. I will not be surprised if some of the girls in our under-20 team are actually “over-20”. Germany won the senior world cup (men) last month & the under-20 world cup (women) yesterday. It means the germans don’t depend on over age players.

16. dr. otisi uwadiegwu

August 25, 2014 at 2:29 pm

well the girls did marvelously well Chinwe, Osholla, Dike, Ayila, Nnodi,Chichi, Okoye, Sunday, Ayinde, Kanu and others, i say kudos to all of you. you fought gallantly thought lost the game. that shows you have come of age to defend this country in the World of football. thank you all for doing us proud at Canada.

17. the bull

August 25, 2014 at 2:33 pm

We should have wrapped up that game in the first half, but we kept missing chances and some of our girls were really selfish. They tried it’d just annoying to lose another final to Germany even though we were the better team

18. dr. otisi uwadiegwu

August 25, 2014 at 2:35 pm

all your games fascinated me from the group marches to the finals, you made Nigeria and the entire Africa proud. kudos to you all.

19. Sabi God

August 25, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Well done u re d eagles we av

20. desmond delsin

August 25, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Nigerian falconet really made us proud. cheers tu u all

21. abby

August 25, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Nigeria female do a great job is not easy they all really tried what a man can do a women can do better good job 2 all our girls god bless Nigeria

22. Romeo

August 25, 2014 at 4:38 pm

HI, I’m proud my ocuntryy won, Anyone know the title of the song play when giving the prize ?

23. BOBBY

August 25, 2014 at 8:27 pm

our Nigeria girls where good just that at the end of the game they miss up by allowing Germany terms run over them.i still blame the wicked referring for the game.

24. Khaleesi

August 25, 2014 at 11:44 pm

they still tired, abeg good for them
    i’m very proud

25. Ebeh E SOLOMON

August 26, 2014 at 4:40 am

Girls! You made us proud. No doubt we will soon get there.

26. Silika phiri

August 26, 2014 at 6:32 am

Well done girls

27. Sufiyanu Saidu

August 26, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Folconet you have done well, you are more than our men

• Chrys

August 27, 2014 at 4:47 am

Congrats To All The Falconets – A Beneficial Loss

28. Chrys

August 27, 2014 at 4:47 am

If you are a patriotic fan of all the Nigerian National Soccer teams, read this, and have your say. This is what happened: A day before the game, I read a Sun’s Sport opinion by one Monica. Immediately I filed a response to it. Having refereed an all German team soccer match, in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, I have, at least known their players’ mentality.
    Besides, my opinion was published, all of a sudden it was removed. I am determined to get the CEO of The Sun Newspaper to have my piece available to any of you who wants to read what I said.
    Why the Falconers lost a Match they had on their cleats
    I mentioned that No. 4 must play around the Germans, and that she must play deep into the goal. When No 4 got away from the Germans just as I expected; however, she rushed the shot and altered her technical efficiency.
    I stated that Falconets must support one another at each attacking build-up so that where the Germans would collapse on the strikers an open player could control a rebound and go with it. I stated that at no time should the Falconets aim a shot directly at the goalkeeper because the shot would be saved or blocked. Go to the tape and prove me wrong. Did any fan see a close range shot by the Falconets comfortably saved by the Germans? In addition, I mentioned that NGA should never defend any attacking German player from behind, instead step in front of the Germans take the space and she would pass off. Again, go to the tape and watch, the winning goal came from a defective defense.
    Official Contribution to Falconets’ loss.
    It would be a sheer cowardice to ignore the infamous part the Canadian Referees played in the loss. First, it is not illegal for a player to locate in an offside position on the field. But, it is illegal for a player in an offside position to actively engage in a live play. The shot taken by No. 4 was a goal – a legal goal. This is the rule, the ball was goal-tending, meaning it was heading to the net; the ball does not have to touch the net to be a goal. Crossing the goal line is sufficient. Thus, when one Falconet followed up with a finishing touch, it was not illegal because the goal-tending ball was already played. It was impossible to have retrieved the ball. A ball is either a goal-tending shot, or not a goal-tending shot. No one can unscramble egg once it is scrambled. The fact that someone wears a Fifa logo-ed uniform does not mean that he she is impeccable – incapable of making mistake. That call cost the Falconets the Cup.

The Blame is not only the players. How the coaching staff contributed to the loss. The Head Coach Peter, did a splendid job in the semi-final. But did not scout the German players well in the ultimate match, thus there was a serious match-up problem. In my comment to Sun Sport editor, Monica, I mentioned that the Falconets should not take their eyes off any German player if they must win the match. On the whole, the players were not given crucial match winning tips. Believe it or not, this was a big deal for Nigerians who understand the scientific elements of football or soccer. I strongly believe that Oshoala will win World Cup for Nigeria before she hangs her cleats. This girl is good, but was marred by lack of teachable technical skills. I saw it as a Licensed Referee, and that was the reason I suggested she play deep in the German territory for high percentage finishes. Shockingly, On the same match I still did not understand the reason a sub came in for Courtney. Make no mistake, Courtney was the most substantially knowledgeable player on that field. She was the first scorer who jump-started things for Nigeria. Without her brilliant play on a British player when she lost the ball, and went back and retrieved it, thereafter made a clever pass that resulted in a goal, there would have been no quarter final for the Falconets. In summary, my congratulations to the coaching staff, they did the best they could with what they had. But had my piece be left alone, someone who knew the coach perhaps would have called the coaching crew to relate my main concern for the play I expected of No. 4. We can only build Nigeria by respecting each other’s opinion. Newspaper’s Editor is a public official, and should do his/job without prejudice. I will always admire the young women for giving the Germans something to think about. The Falconets will be back. Chrys Udoh, Phoenix