News

Pray that we would be Faithful to God’s call on our Lives in these New Circumstances – Ebola Patient Dr. Kent Brantly speaks out

BellaNaija.com

Kent-BrantlyWith the devastating spread of the Ebola Virus in West Africa, many are scared and in the case of those who have lost loved ones to the virus, devastated.

Dr. Kent Brantly, an American Doctor who was working for as a medical missionary in Liberia is one of the most high profile victims of the virus. He was airlifted to Atlanta last week and appears to be recovering. Today, he released this statement. In spite of his diagnosis, his statement is very optimistic.

***
I am writing this update from my isolation room at Emory University Hospital, where the doctors and nurses are providing the very best care possible. I am growing stronger every day, and I thank God for His mercy as I have wrestled with this terrible disease.

My wife Amber and I, along with our two children, did not move to Liberia for the specific purpose of fighting Ebola. We went to Liberia because we believe God called us to serve Him at ELWA Hospital.

One thing I have learned is that following God often leads us to unexpected places. When Ebola spread into Liberia, my usual hospital work turned more and more toward treating the increasing number of Ebola patients. I held the hands of countless individuals as this terrible disease took their lives away from them. I witnessed the horror firsthand, and I can still remember every face and name.

When I started feeling ill on that Wednesday morning, I immediately isolated myself until the test confirmed my diagnosis three days later. When the result was positive, I remember a deep sense of peace that was beyond all understanding. God was reminding me of what He had taught me years ago, that He will give me everything I need to be faithful to Him.

Now it is two weeks later, and I am in a totally different setting. My focus, however, remains the same–to follow God. As you continue to pray for Nancy and me, yes, please pray for our recovery. More importantly, pray that we would be faithful to God’s call on our lives in these new circumstances.

***
BN will like to use this opportunity to commend the selfless work of the doctors, nurses, funeral workers, health volunteers and family members who have been caring for Ebola patients. Sadly a nurse in Nigeria has already passed away while a doctor has been confirmed as infected. We hope the current outbreak comes to an end immediately.

1. nneoma

August 9, 2014 at 12:05 am

God help us

2. TA

August 9, 2014 at 12:09 am

Thank you BN. Thank you. At times like this,working in the health care sector is like walking a minefield…The doctors and nurses at the forefront of this battle, may God richly bless all of you. Fellow Nigerians please stop the panic induced rumours. If you are unsure how to respond,just keep yourself and surroundings very clean,no touching anyone esp the sick or go online to ebolafacts.com
    PS:@BN Would it be too much to ask for a dedicated forum on this platform? You could move your previous articles on all things Ebola related,happenings so far,international developments, daily updates etc. Thanks

3. Adeola

August 9, 2014 at 12:16 am

Wow what great faith and sense of peace. His words are so poignant and should really speak to us all and remind us that in “ALL CIRCUMSTANCE WE SHOULD STILL GIVE THANKS”. God give you full recovery Dr Brantly

4. ade

August 9, 2014 at 12:19 am

These are the true people that should be celebrated and called celebrities! heroes! true selfless acts…not people who expose their bodies and put on fake reality shows for money. May God heal and bless them

5. Dammi

August 9, 2014 at 12:28 am

Rubbish! He’s sending prayers from the comfort of his American bed while the poor are dying because America does NOT want to share the vaccination cure with Africa! What’s rubbish
    The Americans created this virus, planted it in Africa and will use the secret cure which THEY have to bribe and rape africa one again!

• Eclectic

August 9, 2014 at 1:43 am

Really???? And what were you doing all the while the Doctor was in Liberia???

• maki

August 10, 2014 at 7:41 am

Please help me ask d cow?
      otule nkapi!

• Iris

August 9, 2014 at 3:26 am

Get the hell off this blog. That’s right I said it. You think everybody has the right to speak. In this case YOU DO NOT. Where were you when they were researching it? You’re here demanding rights to it. We don’t even know how he’ll react to it in a few weeks. If people in Nigeria take it now and get ridiculous side effects is it not America the world will blame? I was so inspired reading what he had to say and for the first time since this thing hit Lagos I was actually able to see how we could find God in this mess, and you came and spewed your venom. GTFOH.

In other news, out of all the Christian leaders in this continent who have publicly made references to ebola, this man to me is a true Christian leader.

• benny

August 9, 2014 at 9:12 am

Kisses and a hug for this comment.

• D'Mamma

August 9, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Iris thank you for that apt reply!
      Oga please channel ur vex to the right people.

• Sandi

August 9, 2014 at 5:45 pm

God bless you for this

• Mz Socially Awkward...

August 10, 2014 at 12:44 am

The truest example of a Christian leader I’ve seen in quite some time and particularly since this outbreak began. I am humbled by his statement.

• Tolu

August 9, 2014 at 4:15 am

@Dammi ur response goes to show the typical ignorant mentality of some educated, illiterates in this country n part of the world. Its quite sad that u can exhibit such ignorance on a worldwide web. Pls if u don’t know go ahead n research on the stages involved in producing n releasing drugs. This man answered the call of God to come help in Africa n in the process he contracted this deadly disease. U might be blind to it but in it all I see the hand of God. Yes he happens to be an American citizen n happened to enjoy that benefit. Was he the one that asked u be a Nigerian or an African since most of our leaders don’t care about its citizens. My dear ur comments r quite unfounded n av no basis. If d American government decided to release this drug without proper testing u guys r d sane people dt would first open ur mouths to say that they planned all along to kill people. So my advice to u is that before u try acting smart in ur way of commenting pls kindly research rather than casting stones at people who r really helping cos ur own country people r contracting the disease n I don’t see u volunteering or helping in anyway. Its easy to judge when the shoes don’t fit.

• Prince

August 9, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Sorry to say Dammy is just senseless, @Tolu uv said it all

• Dr Ada

August 9, 2014 at 4:33 am

Oh please Dammi, stop contributing to the problem!
      A drug that is still in phase I phase, and is still experimental! What about safety and efficacy? You think because 2 ppl took it, its now a magic cure? PLS! Get educated, instead of spreading ignorance! The US govt wasnt the one who gave the drug, someone contacted someone that contacted someone who got in touch with the company! Shey its the US that also gave us Malaria? We have had that for how long now, and still many of our ppl die from it!
      You will be one of the first that will scream bloody murder if the EXPERIMENTAL drug aka ZMapp was given, and ended up having disastrous long term side effects! Especially with your silly conspiracy theory.

• RS

August 9, 2014 at 5:12 am

Shut up just shut up!!!!! Must you blame America for every single thing . This man risked his life to take care of the sick…. and you’re here yapping nonsense, you should be ashamed of yourself

• Aggie

August 9, 2014 at 6:16 am

Educate yourself! There is NO VACCINE CURE FOR EBOLA! Only an experimental drug yet to be approved for use in humans. Also, ebola is not new. It has been around for decades but there has never been an outbreak like this.

• mercy

August 9, 2014 at 7:56 am

U are very wicked to say such a thing

• funx

August 9, 2014 at 8:21 am

Hmmn, Dammi or whatever ur name is. I’m angered by ur response. U r very ignorant. How dare u blame America for this Ebola outbreak? What r u doing to help? Its easy to judge while u sit on ur lazy ass behind ur computer desk. Get educated already n stop talking shit. How can Africa get better with folks like u there? Build a lab n start ur own research to find a cure olodo.

• champion

August 9, 2014 at 10:07 am

Hmm i also find it strange that America have not yet shared the ‘experimental’ drug with Africa. This that are upset with @Dammi’s comment should ask your self…. why did they give him the drug in Africa? Also the drug is working and has cured infected american’s in new your and Atlanta. There is obviously alot more to this story than meets the eye

• Tbaby

August 9, 2014 at 10:11 am

@Dammi, u re so ignorant n ur comment tells it all……SMH.

• J.SU

August 9, 2014 at 11:19 am

If you don’t have anything to say keep your dirty mouth shut. You are not ashamed of yourself, why can’t you go and do same research to get solution to the diseases instead you here writing nonsense online for people to notice you. YOU ARE A BIG IDIOT THAT KNOWS NOTHING

• Khaleesi

August 9, 2014 at 7:15 pm

is it his fault that his government is selfish?! he did a great thing and is not to blame for his government’s action, haba!

• annoying

August 10, 2014 at 1:42 pm

You’re really ignorant. What would you have done in his circumstances? step in his shoes and be honest! Mtchewww

• Mummy Mo

August 11, 2014 at 10:12 am

U sure have issues!

6. Dammi

August 9, 2014 at 12:29 am

Let’s see how soon America starts ‘investing’ in west africa because of Ebola… Rubbish

• ade

August 9, 2014 at 6:47 am

@Dammi r u still leaving comments here??? please find the exit door!!!

• P

August 9, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Dammi the Dummy, I see you o! Ewu Canbeer.

7. encore

August 9, 2014 at 12:30 am

Kent, Nancy and all the selfless health workers combating this disease: THANK YoU a million times can never be enough. May God heal Kent and Nancy and all other victims. Kent you are the epitome of a HERO.

8. Thatgidigirl

August 9, 2014 at 12:34 am

I pray he recovers fully, so much strength and faith in one person its unbelievable.

9. Kenny

August 9, 2014 at 12:38 am

May God in his mercy grant the soul of those that has died as a result of this terrible disease and for those struggling to recover from it God, pls give them strength and heal them. The end times, i’m encourage by Dr. Kent’s words what a brave a man, know doubt, he is healed in Jesus name AMEN.

10. Josh

August 9, 2014 at 12:47 am

Now that’s an example of a true Christian, in every circumstances believe that God is in control. I pray for you doctor Brantly that you’ll get back on your feet soonest and may the grace of God abound with you and your family. please people let’s magnify our God instead of the problems that we as mortals face in this imperfect world. God has not changed He is still The same God that saves heals and deliver.

11. Me2me

August 9, 2014 at 1:06 am

It is good to see God’s love manifest amongst such earthly disorder. Though we forget often, God has assured us he will always be with us, even in the time of great difficulty. I feel so sad that I never emotionally prayed for them, but that just changed. Thank you so much Kent, I needed the wake use call.

12. timiege

August 9, 2014 at 1:16 am

So touching, Behold, as the eyes of servants look unto the hand of their masters, and as the eyes of a maiden unto the hand of her mistress; so our eyes wait upon the Lord our God, until that he have mercy upon us.

13. aMBa-ssador

August 9, 2014 at 1:18 am

God is in control! Lets keep calm and pray.

14. ivie

August 9, 2014 at 1:33 am

I have been praying and will still continue to pray for you all…. Get well soon!!! And may we all be safe too from Ebola at last oh lord I pray!!!

15. next

August 9, 2014 at 1:40 am

God show us your mercy grace. Jesus u remain the greatest physician, pls come and heal our filthy land. Amen

16. Beee

August 9, 2014 at 2:05 am

May I be able to stand and still love God in d face of adversity. I admire the selflessness and reverence that this guy has for God………I have to stop this “comfortable Christianity” and be who God really wants me to become.

17. NNENNE

August 9, 2014 at 3:00 am

A big Amen to your prayer, BN.

18. Jo!

August 9, 2014 at 3:08 am

BN, what’s the point of the “Love this” button? Seems to make no difference, I would like to see how many people “love this”

19. Shoppe4me

August 9, 2014 at 4:03 am

Hmmm. This words brings tears to my eyes. Its great to know God and stand firm in him. How encouraging. He can’t but be hopeful and continue to have faith, I wonder if he had written otherwise, what would people’s reaction have been. Truly selfless.

20. Honeymix

August 9, 2014 at 4:50 am

This brought tears to my eyes.

21. gift

August 9, 2014 at 5:04 am

Lord pls send ur healing power to those in dis illness and to Dr kent may he be heal so he cn do ur work more and more and those of us dat hv nt been infected we should hv faith in God and thank him and also pray for the Dr treating them nw so they cn nt be infected 4 helping them may God help us

22. deb

August 9, 2014 at 5:08 am

Wow. What a strong faith. I pray that in every situation we will always remember that GOD is in total control&manages all situation for those who believe in him.

23. Tony

August 9, 2014 at 6:27 am

God is Ultimate. Whether some choose to belief or not. Doctors i would keep praying for you and i know the Almighty never ever abandons His people. Temptations come from the Devil for us to curse God. Please lets not succumb to that. It shall be well in Jesus name.

24. Mama nony

August 9, 2014 at 7:51 am

I believe God has healed him and nancy for a reason and for people to renew their faith in God even known to him that he risked his life to save others.
    @ Dami I know ure upset u have a right to be life itself isn’t fair we don’t choose our paths in life so as Nigerians we don’t have a health system that’s y doctors go on strike .avaition system zero ,educational sysystem zero, but We have a big God that keeps telling us that it is well.
    Dami we have a problem that is Ebola has invaded nigeria that is a bigger issue at hand than being angry with America .

25. mercy

August 9, 2014 at 7:57 am

God will strengthen him and make dat medicine work so that they can send to African countries

26. seun

August 9, 2014 at 9:13 am

I pray that Dr Kent survives this unfortunate ordeal he’s been thrown into. It’ll really be a positive thing and it’ll bring more hope with it.

27. ebere

August 9, 2014 at 9:31 am

May the good Lord bless you and give you the strength to carry on. May he heal all who are infected and comfort their families.

28. Bimbo

August 9, 2014 at 9:44 am

Pls is it Jesus healing him? Or the drugs he is being given? I see how people have started giving praise to Jesus here , instead of acknowledging the efforts of the pharmaceutical company that made the drug? What about all the the hundreds of Africans that Jesus did not cure ? The only ones that Jesus or God could cure are the ones that are already receiving medicine! MagoMago holy intervention!

• benny

August 9, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Lmaoooooo Bimbo come for your own hug and kiss

• Iris

August 9, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Please I kent laugh today

29. Changing Faces

August 9, 2014 at 10:09 am

His words are very deep! Thanks Dr. Brantly for reminding us what faith is. May God bless the health workers who continually put their lives at risk battling deadly diseases, and grant peace to families who have lost their loved ones. Amen

30. yassbeetch

August 9, 2014 at 10:11 am

When will Naija pastors start going into the isolation wards to heal patient’s?

31. champion

August 9, 2014 at 10:11 am

Corrected!
    Hmm i also find it strange that America have not yet shared the ‘experimental’ drug with Africa. Those that are upset with @Dammi’s comment should ask your self…. why did they give him the drug in Africa? Also the drug is working and has cured infected american’s in new york and Atlanta. There is obviously more to this than meets the eye. I smell a cover up!
    Let us pray that the truth is revealed soon

32. XENA

August 9, 2014 at 10:39 am

True Christian.God help me to listen,follow you and in all things give praise to you.I hav faith I will be better christian than this Doctor(amen).

33. nt

August 9, 2014 at 11:42 am

I had some tears in my eyes when i read this, it is amazing how people can be selfless. First of all, i see Dr Kent beyond his skin colour, he simply followed his heart and God’s call to do do the things He did. May God show himself strong in his life, May He bless him for responding to God’s call and may he grant him recovery and give his family the courage to handle every day. I always say that Doctors and Paramedics are wonderful people, may God bless every medical personal that is reaching out to assist both ebola and other killer disease patients out there in Jesus name. Amen.

34. yemisi

August 9, 2014 at 11:53 am

What a piece, so moved by what he wrote I pray they get better. What a self less man. Will always remember them I my prayers

35. oyinda

August 9, 2014 at 12:39 pm

without sentiments, there is a point in what Dammi said…Ebola was first discovered in 1976 and went dormant but 38 years later it is killing people like crazy so does it mean the people that got the disease then were alienated from the world so fast before infecting any of their family members or what made it stop then? if there was a way to contain it then what has changed presently? why does some reports say it is airborne while others say its just by direct contact? do you think the US would test a drug on its citizens that has not being confirmed? please there are too many doubts that needs to be look into jare…its the US and they can do any shit they want because according to Africans in Particular they are god….is it just in Africa they eat bush meat so why are we the only ones with the disease? so many people share same doubts but are too sentimental to voice it out

• Iris

August 9, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Some things have changed. This is the first time ebola has gotten into urban areas. Secondly, at no other time in history has the world been so globalized, We are very mobile and move around to cities and towns a lot more than we used to. Population has increased making the probability of deaths higher. The percentage of deaths may or may not have changed, but absolute numbers have. In Africa there has also been a lot of deforestation and we have encroached further into the forests, increasing contact with animals and making it easier for diseases to evolve and jump from animals to humans.
      Regarding this drug, we do not know if this doctor signed legal papers that absolved the US and the pharmaceutical company of any blame if he turns into a flesh-eating tarantula or suddenly dies next week. If that’s the case are they going to do so for all the ebola victims here? Will no one say they are not doctors and may not be fully cognizant of what they are signing? Treating two people with an experimental drug and being able to monitor them in facilities you trust is different from treating hundreds in a different continent knowing that they cannot be monitored as effectively. After all Patrick Sawyer was under surveillance in Liberia yet he got out and a Sierra Leonan escaped from isolation in a hospital. Now I am not one of those who believes America’s intentions towards any African country are noble. Nothing is free. If (God forbid) the numbers escalated into tens of thousands, drug companies would suddenly have enough motivation to find a cure faster because it will become profitable, but the fact remains that right now we have no proof that what they are saying is a lie. Also, Nigerians like to form like the West is this evil entity doomed for death by God and act like we never need their help, but yet our governments do nothing and when shit hits the ceiling we turn to the same West. This disease – whether it came from monkeys or a vial in a lab – has only affected Africa for decades and we’re still looking like Lucozade.
      Lastly, even if this drug was invented by the US specifically to kill Africans (I know it’s been done before with native Americans but I really doubt this is one of those times), this doctor had nothing to do with it. So how dare this Dammi individual come here and make such comments about him? I’m sorry for this epistle but that comment about him being able to talk from the “comfort” of his bed was infuriating.

36. sady

August 9, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Thank God for ur life Dr I have this great feeling that u would fight this battle and win God bless u and keep healthy

37. lyn

August 9, 2014 at 3:05 pm

The entire place Ebola was discovered in 1976 was totally set ablazed and wiped out. That was how it was curtailed, i read it somewhere and there has been revelations that when this Ebola epidemic broke again, the US specifically warned the Nig government on precautionary measures to take but our goverment never listened and our so called Information minister publicly said we have no cause for alarm because we have the vaccine here with us in Nigeria! What a shame that after going public, we are now going to consult and beg America for the vaccine when the whole country has already being misinformed. I really applaud this missionaries they risk alot, goin to remote countries not minding the challenges, while our pastors go to the UK, US, Canada etc where there are obviously too many churches already. It is well… End time is here already.

38. libby

August 9, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Such an amazing and inspirational man. I hope to God he recovers from this.

39. ify

August 9, 2014 at 4:00 pm

God bless you lyn

40. moi

August 9, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Our good Lord is with u all in Jesus name. Amen!

41. vann

August 9, 2014 at 4:45 pm

This man made me cry…God heal Him,Nancy and all Ebola victims xxx

42. Tony

August 9, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Africans please take responsibility. This blame game is now cliche. Doctors and scientist spend sleepless nights and come up with cures for different diseases, all we do is curse other nations.
    I have been following the news and the experimental drug has not yet cured anyone so whosoever is spreading rumors above, watch your mouth. The doctors are still being monitored, the side effects are unknown. If America releases this and the effect is hazardous it would be that its a calculated attempt to kill Africans.

Let us africans stand up and improve our lives, towns, cities, nations and the continent. Each time we go about playing the victim. Thanks once more Doctor for the touching and inspirational message despite your current situation.

43. Que

August 9, 2014 at 6:23 pm

I honestly believe there is a whole lot more to this ebola spread, that we will likely never know, the current facts simply do not add up; but I’ll bet its more a Human problem, than an American problem to solve. …. Be that as it may, this doctor’s testimony resonated with me….. sometimes it pays to understand and remember that the goodness of my living God doesnt just reveal itself in situations I would consider perfect, or would prefer. I have been in very challenging situations and felt and exercised that peace that passes all understanding….. truly it passes my understanding cos it defies logic that I remained calm sometimes….. so I relate with that sentiment..

For me this (Ebola, amongst others) is just another chapter that life has presented, I dont know what the end holds, but in all things I hope to find n hold my peace, and forge ahead to better places and things, knowing that my good will be worked out of every situation. I cannot worry about dying at all, cos that is a guaranteed end. So I focus on making d best of d times and experiences I get to create and partake of while I am here. I wish same for all.

44. Khaleesi

August 9, 2014 at 7:16 pm

such a wonderful man of God. God bless all of those putting their lives at risk for the good of others

45. Toye

August 9, 2014 at 7:26 pm

You guys should pray that God gives dami an insight on what’s happening instead of replying him with harsh comments

46. rukee

August 9, 2014 at 7:40 pm

itz amazin while som ppls faith is promptin them to kil and destroy innocent souls tru acts of terrorism…som odas are being prompted into good actions!

@bimbo and rest of ya tht hv a problem wit ppl thankin JESUS thts ur own cup of tea….I hv the right to my faith and so does the doctor! and so I join thm to say thank you JESUS!!!
    @Dami ur hate is unfounded, nobody owes us anytin as africans…we shd stop playin the victim! alwayz lookin fr help! itz an african plague hwcom africa ddnt do their own research to find a cure! our health ministry cd not evn b proactive enof to stop this tin frm comin to nigeria! we are nevr proactive abt anytin, we only react and set up comitees with big money! we shd learn to tk care of ourselves!

47. Ngo

August 9, 2014 at 8:23 pm

God bless him for his service

48. Muse

August 9, 2014 at 9:36 pm

What a testimony. I pray for a speedy recovery for you and every one healing from this disease. I love your faith God grant you life to testify and fulfill more purpose. Nothing like peace in your heart. Thank you!

49. chick

August 9, 2014 at 9:37 pm

am soo touched by dis piece.it reminds me dat I need to tank God no matter d situation I find myself in.may Gid heal u so u can return to ur wife n kids,may God heal all ebola victims.ur wife is such a lucky woman to hv someone like u.

50. nnennia

August 10, 2014 at 10:25 am

What a piece.this is pratical christanity in action.This is time we as christains need to pray more and believe God that he wil heal our land and intervene in our situations.may God heal our dear doctor and his wife and may God comfort those that lost their loved ones to this dreadful illness

51. sibo

August 11, 2014 at 12:27 am

i’m not even gonna lie I couldn’t finish reading his message as I was drowning into my own tears! I pray for all the people affected by this horrible disease a quick recovery. Him and Nancy goes to show you that they are true heroes. I wish there were more people like them in this world!

52. geeeeh

August 11, 2014 at 10:32 am

May God heal, you, nancy and all the nigerians presently with this deadly disease, he also promised his own that he will never infect them with the diseases of egypt. So he will prove that he alone is God, and he must do what he says he will do.

53. Zeeeeeeeeeep

August 11, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Ignorance is the root of so many things!! Dammy n co your ignorance though!! I think Iris said it all. For those against thanking Jesus. Sorry for you. As a scientist and Dr, Dr kent saw the value to accept that there was a miracle .of course with the use of the drug and God it worked. It has happened time and again in science when all measures and precautions are taken and result gotten isn’t what was expected. In all we do we must acknowledge the prescence of a supreme being as we work with the knoweldge and insite God has given us to make a better world for us to live in.

54. Nnenna's

August 11, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Truly blessed by this. Had tears in my eyes as I was reading especially the part where the test confirmed he had ebola and a “deep sense of peace’ followed.
    Inspiration from this selfless christian man who is still strong where others would have wavered.

55. FirstladyMO

August 11, 2014 at 10:19 pm

For all we know he could have infected himself to see if any sort of treatment would be released to the world. God bless you Dr Kent.

56. papermoon

August 12, 2014 at 6:01 pm

God bless you. you came down here to help wen dis disease showed up and wen u caught it, u volunteered ur life for an unknown drug, the side effects of which we ar not sure. GOD BLESS U.