Style

Bejeweled Ankara Fabulosity! See the Full Lisa Folawiyo Spring/Summer 2015 Collection Showcase

Lisa Folawiyo Spring Summer 2015 Collection Showcase in New York - Bellanaija - September20140041

Great news fashion lovers – the Lisa Folawiyo Spring/Summer 2015 collection is here!

Last week we let you in on the Nigerian brand’s 1st solo showcase in New York and shared the first photos from the collection with you too. Now we have all the fabulous photos of the collection for your viewing pleasure.

The showcase was held at the Ladurée SoHo on Saturday 6th September 2014 for press and buyers – and featured chic pieces filled with the brand’s signature silk ankara and organza, bejeweled fabrics, detailed layering, cut outs, asymmetrical details, fabric inserts – all on fab models.

A little birdie also tells us the official lookbook is in the works. View the full collection showcase below.

Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015

Check out a few Behind-the-Scenes Shots of the models getting ready. The hair & makeup for the models featured basic faces with light shimmers and a side-swept braid.

Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015 Lisa Folawiyo - Presentation - MercedesBenz Fashion Week Spring 2015

Photo Credit: Getty Images/Kris Connor

1. bruno

September 8, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Ankara print EXPLOSION. Print print print everywhere,

2. TF

September 8, 2014 at 1:27 pm

NO NIGERIAN will wear these stuffs. we have well evolved from such.

• Ghats

September 8, 2014 at 1:44 pm

No. You’ve not evolved an inch from where we last saw you. Your taste is still very behind and you guys still see Ankara blazer and look up to aso ebi Bella as if your lives depend on it. So no, Lisa Folawoyo has evolved and left your basic tastes behind! #haveseveralseats

• Ghats

September 8, 2014 at 1:45 pm

I meant sew*

• Concerned_Boyfriend

September 8, 2014 at 3:58 pm

GBAMEST!… I can’t stand basic minded people. Still stuck on that iro and buba mentality!

• Tikka Masala

September 8, 2014 at 2:34 pm

You mean – no Nigerian like “you” will wear these because “y’all” “haven’t” evolved enough. Speak for yourself.

• benny

September 8, 2014 at 5:31 pm

No SENSIBLE Nigerian will wear this stuff. Some of us have evolved from celebrating and endorsing mediocrity just because it is an established name.
      I stand by TF. Attack me too…

• Iris

September 9, 2014 at 4:16 am

I don’t think a lot of the clothes that go on High Fashion runways are for everyday wear. Calm the hell down.

3. freeaccomodationneeded

September 8, 2014 at 1:27 pm

ok o

4. Janet

September 8, 2014 at 1:37 pm

What is this? This has to be the worst collect I have seen from her. Not a single dress here is wearable

• B

September 11, 2014 at 10:03 am

Hi J! When I buy one and wear right within the shores of Nigeria I will take a picture and hopefully you will get to see it! they are wearable, it just depends on your style………

5. 0lukayode

September 8, 2014 at 1:41 pm

indie/partygirl/teenage carefree soul…. a lot going actually, but…

6. p

September 8, 2014 at 1:44 pm

i actually think this collection is divine! so much intricate detail.
    YET i see how its not everyone’s cup of tea.

7. zee

September 8, 2014 at 1:51 pm

ummmm… I’m still confused.

8. stylebymolekor

September 8, 2014 at 2:03 pm

too much going on in an awkward way… I don’t know how stella Jean does it with the prints to make it look so pleasing to the eyes but I think part of it is simplicity. If you’re going to be doing so much prints in one place, keep the cuts and designs simple… my 2 cents.

9. Jo!

September 8, 2014 at 2:06 pm

uninspiring

10. Fani

September 8, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Absolutely adore this collection…well put together and soooo right up my alley!!! well done Lisa.

11. Make I talk

September 8, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Yes, she is stylish, no doubt, but fashion design is not for everyone. I don’t see a lot of people wearing these pieces. Not practical or commercial. If it’s the case of too much money, I’m sure there are Nigerians with REAL TALENT that can be funded rather than using the money for fashion misses. Sigh

12. gbemy

September 8, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I find it hard to always understand most of the so called elite fashion show , guess this is high fashion for some .. to each his/her taste

13. www.ANEMISTYLE.com

September 8, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Hmm not what I was expecting from her, I can see she is trying to make a statement but is it a bit too much??

14. Observer

September 8, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Dear Lisa,
    I love your Brand…i love the boundaries you keep pushing with your brand .i'”ve visited your store in Lagos and i wasnt diaapointed.
    However,complicated isnt stylish …The best of style is easily understood and appreciated.There seems to be too much going on in this collection and i really can’t concentrate on one particular piece.I understand the uncertainity of breaking into new boundaries and the fear of acceptance/integration but i think you should tread softly to avoid mis-communication.
    I would wear some of these pieces as seperates,but others confuse me a bit….

Concerned Style Watcher

15. beke

September 8, 2014 at 2:28 pm

what the hell is this?is this a joke???my eyes!!!

16. ify

September 8, 2014 at 2:42 pm

I wouldn’t wear any

17. Concerned Reader

September 8, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I second the statement : ‘No. Nigerian will wear this’

Oh yah eat me

18. Bella

September 8, 2014 at 2:45 pm

And with that, its a BIG no from me. We all have different tastes, love my Ankara but hell to the BIG NO

19. bim

September 8, 2014 at 2:54 pm

This is just horrible, just a few wearable pieces, ain’t high fashion either, no theme whatsoever, its just every where and pls can we move away from ankara/prints already ! Pls I’m not hating on her hustle this is my unbiased “Unsolicited” opinion.

20. chick

September 8, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I dnt like any of it sorry

21. yvonnelicious

September 8, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Am a little bit confused with the styles…..nutin here is wearable not even separately.

22. Yetunde the Fabgirl

September 8, 2014 at 3:02 pm

I totally understand the need to be seen as innovative but Lisa needs to keep it simple and well tailored.This is the worst collection I have seen from Lisa.Time to go back to the drawing board.And oh,she might wanna simmer down on prints as it is becoming too monotonous and boring and I say this not hurt but to encourage.
    She must NOT use the machinists she used on this occasion ever again.Quality control was employed approriately.

23. Yetunde the Fabgirl

September 8, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I meant to say that appropriate quality control wasn`t employed

24. Ifeoma Imoh

September 8, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I find the style and pattern too busy. I ended up concentrating on the models” faces and hair. That was like fresh breathe of air to me.

25. Non professional opinion

September 8, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I always find one piece I love, this season it’s the peacock blue dress in look 2, minus the awkwardly styled blouse. Look 13 screams Lupita and is also a serious contender but the rest of it….where do I begin!
    Some pieces are let down by the fabric, which seems to have a rumpled unforgiving quality to it, other pieces make me question her taste level (6,7,9 bleurgh!) but the general feeling is trying too hard and an immature design sensibility which is surprising for a designer so long in the game. It’s nice to see close ups of the beadwork which is gorgeous as usual, but she can’t keep relying on sparkle to elevate under par design. Better luck next season.

26. Tenga Davies

September 8, 2014 at 3:39 pm

oh dear, looking at this close up, it just is NOT good at all. there are 1 or 2 pieces that I would buy, like the pants and the dress Lisa herself wore, which by the way looks utterly shapeless on the model. This is a case of trying so hard to make a style point and flying off the fashion radar completely. Lisa’s personal style that works for her is simple and laid back and that was the beauty of her earlier creations. As for the earlier commentators who are having a go at anyone saying anything negative, we know love Lisa but it is a free world and it is ok for us not to like this collection. It happens. Stella Jean makes this look worse with her amazing way with prints. Looks like the Queen of prints has lost her crown , shame

27. Anon

September 8, 2014 at 3:39 pm

I can understand what she’s trying to achieve and best wishes to her. Agreed, a few of the pieces are wearable and will look better as separates.

28. sunshine

September 8, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Hmnn I don’t know about that ‘Nigerians won’t wear it argument’ o, our people can wear roofing sheet of you tell them it’s designer. That being said, as an artist there’s probably some method to the madness of the collection that we the laymen might not understand, but considering the fact that she plans to actually sell these to consumers who would wear them to functions at which they would expect to be taken seriously, then ‘evolution’ or not some of the above pieces won’t work anywhere, period. I respect her brand and the effort she’s putting into making it global though.

29. Bb

September 8, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Not made for the naija body type. Sad

30. Azzez

September 8, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Looks more like Maki Oh.. lets be real

31. iForgot

September 8, 2014 at 4:05 pm

No, nothing here works. Not a thing!

32. lollly

September 8, 2014 at 4:09 pm

looks like she gathered several left over fabrics to make dresses in an attempt not to waste them

33. ify

September 8, 2014 at 4:23 pm

this looks like an outfit for masquerades. You can do better! simple & clean finishes like what VB makes are very classy. This does not show any effort was put into it, just throwing thinks together is nt fashion. Besides you need to know that the pple who u will be paying alot for this would like to be taken seriously. Perhaps a lil beading and less drama. probably rihanna would like this

34. ngluv

September 8, 2014 at 6:20 pm

hmmm. ok.. i understand where she is going with this, but it looks so unfinished and not really tidy .(example see the first pic). except for one or two pieces that i like but this overly edgy thing here doesn’t really do it for me.. goodluck lisa..

35. Flames

September 8, 2014 at 6:26 pm

I dnt understand dis so lemme jst pretend its avante garde

36. Olori Tari

September 8, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Prolly the only one who looked at these pictures and thought beautiful. Love them but on the models… you see the way my body frame is set up….

37. Iya Eko

September 8, 2014 at 6:41 pm

I don’t know …

38. eby

September 8, 2014 at 7:08 pm

I can only see a very confused collection…….. i was expecting “the LISA FOLAWIYO”touch… there’s just too much going, the only thing that cld make this collection a viable fashion option for fashion trolls would most likely mean that most of her pieces would be worn as seperates.. maybe with denims, leather and the likes…… just my opinion…pls no claws drawn.

39. tammy

September 8, 2014 at 8:05 pm

I guess less isn’t more.

40. BlueEyed

September 8, 2014 at 8:50 pm

People dropping negative comments don’t know what fashion is about, (too much aso ebi bella I guess) but these pieces are quite interesting to look at, and I like her collection, the placements of those prints are well thought out, very fashion forward, now I’m a believer

41. Duh

September 8, 2014 at 9:03 pm

But come to think of it, most clothes on the runway are unwearable by the average person.

42. Amh

September 8, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Not good. Prints everywhere in a confused manner. Epilepsy invoking design. Try again please. Aso were.

43. mimi

September 8, 2014 at 10:44 pm

From a stylist point of view, I honestly think it’s a nice collection, not all runway looks are to be worn, they can always be altered to clients taste. However I think most of the models were not powerful enough to carry the cloths. You need models who look a ccertain way to carry powerful prints and cloths designed for women and not teenagers. I respect her hustle and wish her greater heights

44. muse

September 8, 2014 at 10:52 pm

LF the truth about this is, you could have done MUCH BETTER to represent the new brand. This is such a horrible drab to want to go global. There so many ways to seem different, standout, be stylish and be different. This isn’t. Disappointed but I always appreciate your efforts . This, no no!

45. tee

September 9, 2014 at 12:25 am

Sorry what is the theme? Trying to be intricate with the designs but the clothes are ill-fitted,dull looking and not classy. I hope the response it gets after the fashion show will make her consider our comments.

46. new bride

September 9, 2014 at 3:47 am

Not impressed at all, especially if this is the ‘rebranding’ collection. I’m sure you chose to leverage on Fashion Week by showing in NY at this time, but compared to what many of your invited guests have seen or will see at fashion week, this is nowhere near good enough, sorry.

47. Feirooz

September 9, 2014 at 6:37 am

For once im disappointed in her designs

48. Emerald-Fashion Blog(Plus-size fashion blog)

September 9, 2014 at 6:46 am

There is a lot going on with this collection. Nice concepts but the whole mix are just too much… Except its a hallween collection. Lol… Sha Well done but…

49. pj

September 9, 2014 at 8:33 am

that dark girl though. she looks like omo ibadan with horinzontal tribal mark abi its igbira? by the way you need to hear what went thrugh her mind when she designed the dress before you can determine if its crap…

50. Que

September 9, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Itching to know what th Inspiration is…..

51. Z

September 10, 2014 at 12:24 am

I just had to say something. And I hope Lisa will get to read it.. I love her designs, they had a lovely elegance to them, and even with all the embellishment going on, they looked very classy. But this………hmmmmm. You tried too hard. And you missed. When I looked again I could see that the fabric on their own were each beautiful . But you have a dress with stripes+Ankara+pleats+asymmetrical lines+gathers+layers upon layers PLUS beading!!! And all that on a super skinny white model???!!! Habaaaa! You’ve made it near impossible to see the beauty in this work, and the effort it takes to put them together is quite clear. I hope you find your way again.

52. benny

September 10, 2014 at 4:21 am

*sigh its so sad seeing this coming from Lisa. She’s one of the best Nigerian designers tbh but with this collection I dont see any creatinvity. This is all just cut and sew I only really like the nest finishing of the peices.

53. David Nwachukwu

September 10, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Tbh, I don’t know what you guys are saying, all I see is a fabulous collection, from details to the cuts it’s remarkable she had this in her! This is how to debut LF. For the true FASHION commenters who know their FASHION history, Marc Jacobs did that infamous grunge line in 1993 that thrust him onto the global stage but was not critically lauded. So leave Lisa alone please, she’s just getting started. Besides, not all runway looks are meant to be worn together you bellanaijarians. Have you seen Marc by Marc Jacobs and Rodarte Spring 2015? When you do, come back and we’ll talk. Finally you FASHION people, Nigerians are not her only focus, she has to be globally appealing and competitive. Well done Lisa Folawiyo and JBL Group!

54. victo

September 12, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Waoh! I have known Lisa to be a great designer but I can’t really place this style. This is a no for me.